• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

grmlin

I really love the Reiterpallasch. I used it exclusively in my first play through the moment I got it. It works great with a skill build.

On NG+ I'm using the Church Pick. Awesome PvE weapon.

Currently debating if I should use Rakuyo next. Still have one bloodrock left.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm seeing boss videos where people are walking around with over 1 million blood echoes. Talk about not giving a fuck, and overall just being awesome at the game.

Going to finally try online play. I platted the game and now am one NG+ playing through the DLC-- well, mostly getting slammed by the first boss of the DLC-- and figure it was time to get used to how co-op works in Bloodborne since TOH seems to lean on that a bit. I entered in the GAF password so we'll see if anyone needs a hand. If I get nothing after an hour or so I'll switch to the Reddit watchword since that seems to be pretty active.

Edit: welp. That was a completely fruitless effort. password or no password, local or worldwide. Zero pickups while ringing that small resonant bell.

I'm seeing boss videos where people are walking around with over 1 million blood echoes. Talk about not giving a fuck, and overall just being awesome at the game.

With 3 Moon runes equipped you can easily rack up a million in about 10-15 minutes in the initial portion of Layer 3 of the Isz Chalice Dungeon; so while I'd wince at losing that many in one go, it still wouldn't take very long to regain them.

ColdPizza

Banned
Amygdala is a pushover in the normal game for me but this one shotting in defiled is getting annoying.

Edit: finally got him. Just hacked at his legs as much as I could in the final 20% of this health and got it. Wow.

ColdPizza

Banned
Why does my level 10 saw blade go at risk in these chalice dungeons so quickly? Is there a stat that controls this?

Edit: nvm; I'm using a cursed gem that has weapon durability down.

SkylineRKR

At some point you don't want to level up any further anyway. I only buy vials and bullets and when I lose my echoes I don't care at all. A few quick gem farm runs in chalice is enough to cap the storage box.

Help a noob:

I've played BB incrementally since it's release, but have yet to finish it. I managed to get through some of it with the help of friends in co-op, and some of it on my own.

I got stuck on Nightmare of Mensis and then shelved it to play other games in my backlog. After finishing LiS, I moved on to Until Dawn, and have decided that Bloodborne and MGSV are the next two games in my backlog to complete.

I want to shake off the rust by farming blood vials and blood echoes.

What is the absolute best/easiest way to farm both in ample supply?

Help a noob:

I've played BB incrementally since it's release, but have yet to finish it. I managed to get through some of it with the help of friends in co-op, and some of it on my own.

I got stuck on Nightmare of Mensis and then shelved it to play other games in my backlog. After finishing LiS, I moved on to Until Dawn, and have decided that Bloodborne and MGSV are the next two games in my backlog to complete.

I want to shake off the rust by farming blood vials and blood echoes.

What is the absolute best/easiest way to farm both in ample supply?

Here's what I did when I needed to farm these items. There may be better strategies, but these will definitely work. For Blood Vials, load the Great Bridge lantern. Kill the two wolves, go down through the house, kill the two big trolls, go down the elevator, cross the bridge, kill the pig in the sewers, then climb back up the bridge to where the lantern for Father Gascoigne is. It may sound complicated but it's pretty much a straight shot that'll give you around 20 vials per run.

For Blood Echoes, equip some Moon runes and load into the Lecture Building. Kill the water student enemies in the big room but let the last one kill you. Repeat for as long as necessary.

Again, there may be better options out there, but these are the ones that I did.

teiresias

I completely forgot I owned the Steelbook Collectors Edition of Bloodborne and went ahead and bought the soundtrack. Does anyone want my code for the free OST? I'm assuming they don't expire. First to PM me gets it.

[EDIT] *Claimed*

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally playing through NG+ to get up to the DLC and I killed father G on my first try this time around. After all that trouble he gave me in the early days. Damn, there's just nothing like this feeling anywhere else in gaming.

ColdPizza

Banned
Hey, can anyone help me fight Keeper of the Old Lords in the cursed chalice dungeon?
PSN: Hieronymus14959

Gotta be pretty aggressive with her, but you can parry her over and over. Then in phase 2 with the flames it's a little harder but you can dodge and hit and still get in the occasional parry.

Gotta be pretty aggressive with her, but you can parry her over and over. Then in phase 2 with the flames it's a little harder but you can dodge and hit and still get in the occasional parry.

If you parry well enough, you can skip phase 2 entirely. Parrying her over and over involves some AI abuse - she always does two normal attacks immediately after standing up from a critical attack before doing anything else. Because you now know the pattern, you can parry them easily.

Layer 2 of defiled chalice, however, is the dog that made me quit this game before The Old Hunters came out... still haven't beaten it

ColdPizza

Banned
If you parry well enough, you can skip phase 2 entirely. Parrying her over and over involves some AI abuse - she always does two normal attacks immediately after standing up from a critical attack before doing anything else. Because you now know the pattern, you can parry them easily.

Layer 2 of defiled chalice, however, is the dog that made me quit this game before The Old Hunters came out... still haven't beaten it

She doesn't always swing twice...it depends on how far away your'e standing I think, but yah, one try I was able to parry her like 6 times in a row doing thing, and I'm like "I got this"....they you get arrogant and aggressive and get one shotted. lol.

The dog gave me some trouble but I got it eventually...use Queen Killer as a meat shield to get it down some...but basically you need to be patient with this fight and wait for him to swing his head around for a head shot. Do this enough, and you can stun it for a visceral or two. Whenever it vomits lava, swing around to the side and get 1 or 2 shots in. Rinse and repeat. Obviously, watch out for flames or his charge attack.

After a few days roaming the Lost Woods I made it to the
Ghosts of Yharnam.
On my first attempt I managed to kill one but then lost.
On my second attempt I got the last one down to about 1/7 of his health, tried to finish him while he was summoning the giant snakes (those sure were a surprise lol) and got killed by them instead.
On the third try I stayed on top of him so he never had a chance to summon and went down easily.

Very cool fight. The huge increase in mobility over the Souls games definitely makes Bloodborne feel easier, you can zip around enemies like a maniac since it consumes so little stamina.

ColdPizza

Banned
After a few days roaming the Lost Woods I made it to the
Ghosts of Yharnam.
On my first attempt I managed to kill one but then lost.
On my second attempt I got the last one down to about 1/7 of his health, tried to finish him while he was summoning the giant snakes (those sure were a surprise lol) and got killed by them instead.
On the third try I stayed on top of him so he never had a chance to summon and went down easily.

Very cool fight. The huge increase in mobility over the Souls games definitely makes Bloodborne feel easier, you can zip around enemies like a maniac since it consumes so little stamina.

Do the chalice dungeons and report back...lol =)

Do the chalice dungeons and report back...lol =)

Yeah, I've heard about that, I probably wont be spending a lot of time there since even beating the game is taking me months because of how little time I have.
I'm not implying that I'm very good at the game, just that to me it feels a bit easier overall. I rely a lot on shields in Souls so I thought I'd have a hard time adapting to this but that wasn't the case at all. This will probably influence my play style a lot when I go back to Souls.

ColdPizza

Banned
Yeah, I've heard about that, I probably wont be spending a lot of time there since even beating the game is taking me months because of how little time I have.
I'm not implying that I'm very good at the game, just that to me it feels a bit easier overall. I rely a lot on shields in Souls so I thought I'd have a hard time adapting to this but that wasn't the case at all. This will probably influence my play style a lot when I go back to Souls.

Heh, just busting your chops a little. This is my first souls game...do you think I would like Dark Souls? I kind of like the mobility aspect of dodging, though. Is the shield play any good?

Heh, just busting your chops a little. This is my first souls game...do you think I would like Dark Souls? I kind of like the mobility aspect of dodging, though. Is the shield play any good?

I'm pretty sure you'll like it. The Souls games give you a lot more versatility with character growth so there's freedom to create a good diversity of builds so it's hard to predict how a particular player will choose to approach the game, but regardless of that, the pace is slower and more methodical and though you can choose to play it differently, you'll probably always have a shield with you. A good shield combined with a stamina build can tank a lot of hits, which gives you a certain degree of safety in most situation. A guard break will leave you wide open though and a lot of bosses will be able to do that with a single hit of their more powerful attacks so you have to know when to keep your distance and make every roll count, since you wont be able to do it as often as in BB. Then there's the weight of your equipment, heavy armor will give extra protection but make the roll almost useless because it becomes too slow and ends up leaving you vulnerable while you recover from it. There's a lot of stuff to take into account. For example, the amount of iframes is lower at first in DS2 but can be raised with a certain stat.
Definitely check it out.
Demon's Souls is still my favorite entry btw, definitely give it a try if you have access to a PS3.

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm pretty sure you'll like it. The Souls games give you a lot more versatility with character growth so there's freedom to create a good diversity of builds so it's hard to predict how a particular player will choose to approach the game, but regardless of that, the pace is slower and more methodical and though you can choose to play it differently, you'll probably always have a shield with you. A good shield combined with a stamina build can tank a lot of hits, which gives you a certain degree of safety in most situation. A guard break will leave you wide open though and a lot of bosses will be able to do that with a single hit of their more powerful attacks so you have to know when to keep your distance and make every roll count, since you wont be able to do it as often as in BB. Then there's the weight of your equipment, heavy armor will give extra protection but make the roll almost useless because it becomes too slow and ends up leaving you vulnerable while you recover from it. There's a lot of stuff to take into account. For example, the amount of iframes is lower at first in DS2 but can be raised with a certain stat.
Definitely check it out.
Demon's Souls is still my favorite entry btw, definitely give it a try if you have access to a PS3.

I actually have a ps3 and bought demon's souls....it's still shrink wrapped. I never got around to playing it. =(

Aguila

#ICONIC
After killing the Amygdala in the FRC Pthumeru dungeon, I was hoping and praying I didn't find it in the FRC Isz dungeon. BUT it ended being the last boss again. I almost cried. I killed it tho. This time there were huge pillars in the arena, thank god. They helped me cheese its third stage with my trusty Blacksky Eye (which ironically seems to be one of Amygdala's own weapons; a taste of the bitch's own medicine tbh. I hate it so much j;reggae;wek).

Sulik2

Gah, the abhorrent beast in the chalice dungeon is destroying me. I cannot figure out how to get in close to him without his stupid sweeping attacks catching me.

ColdPizza

Banned
Gah, the abhorrent beast in the chalice dungeon is destroying me. I cannot figure out how to get in close to him without his stupid sweeping attacks catching me.

I just beat him. Just gotta be aggressive. Maybe use a communion rune for more blood vials. Fire paper.

Does adding a gem to a weapon "lock" it to that weapon or can I use on multiple weapons simultaneously? I really hope I can use the same gem across multiple weapons, otherwise it creates unnecessary micromanagement by removing gems from old weapons.

Jrmint

Does adding a gem to a weapon "lock" it to that weapon or can I use on multiple weapons simultaneously? I really hope I can use the same gem across multiple weapons, otherwise it creates unnecessary micromanagement by removing gems from old weapons.
You'd have to remove the gem from your current weapon and socket it into the new one.

You'd have to remove the gem from your current weapon and socket it into the new one.

Thanks. Blood Gems are the one part of the game I don't have a firm grasp on. All the different types of attacks are confusing to me and I can't differentiate between them (Physical attack, ATTK, Thrust, Blunt, etc.)

I'm trying to make my Church Pick as powerful as possible, and I noticed that some people mentioned that it did good Thrust damage. But none of the Thrust gems I have are as powerful as a general "Physical Attack Up __% gem." I don't know. Maybe I need to find a guide for this or something.

Raptor

Here's what I did when I needed to farm these items. There may be better strategies, but these will definitely work. For Blood Vials, load the Great Bridge lantern. Kill the two wolves, go down through the house, kill the two big trolls, go down the elevator, cross the bridge, kill the pig in the sewers, then climb back up the bridge to where the lantern for Father Gascoigne is. It may sound complicated but it's pretty much a straight shot that'll give you around 20 vials per run.

For Blood Echoes, equip some Moon runes and load into the Lecture Building. Kill the water student enemies in the big room but let the last one kill you. Repeat for as long as necessary.

Again, there may be better options out there, but these are the ones that I did.

Yes this is the starting farming method for vials, but instead you can make a couple of runs on the Lecture Building and farm echoes and buy a couple of hundred of vials and stop worrying about them lol, also dont forget some Bold Hunter's Marks to make this faster.

Get close to him and always dodge to his right your left, strike and dodge strike and dodge, he will always use his rigth hand to strike you.

That boss is hard as all fuck,.

ColdPizza

Banned
Thanks. Blood Gems are the one part of the game I don't have a firm grasp on. All the different types of attacks are confusing to me and I can't differentiate between them (Physical attack, ATTK, Thrust, Blunt, etc.)

I'm trying to make my Church Pick as powerful as possible, and I noticed that some people mentioned that it did good Thrust damage. But none of the Thrust gems I have are as powerful as a general "Physical Attack Up __% gem." I don't know. Maybe I need to find a guide for this or something.

I think as you level up your weapons they gain gem slots so they're per weapon. Sort of like runes in The Witcher 3

Physical gems up all types of physical damage (like blunt and thrust), while the ones that only up blunt and thrust damage do just that, but are usually of a higher % to make up for the fact that if you use an attack not of that type, you'll do less damage. For example, a nice blunt gem on the Kirkhammer is great for when you 2h it, but it won't up your damage when you're using the sword to slash and thrust.

Ones that up "attack" are usually a lower %, but will up ALL sources of damage. That means if you're using a physical/arcane hybrid weapon, it will up both of those, while physical up, or arcane up, would only up those types of damage.

Check the wiki for sure to see what type of damage weapons do in what form, as some of it could surprise you. All the 2h attacks with the Church Pick should be thrust I believe, but there are some slashing 1h attacks. Also, you can change the details (stats) shown on the right side of the screen when trying out gems, so you can see the damage of your equiped weapons. As a general rule, just use whatever are the highest blue numbers for the highest damage.

I honestly just farm Winter Lanterns a while towards the end of the game for the cursed gems that give 19% physical up, while only costing an extra 2.5 or so % stamina.

Fuck that boss. Poison Knives + timely backsteps/rolls/retreats out to whittle down his bar enough for you to go in and finish him off.

grmlin

Honestly, I'm looking at the stats and chose the gems that get the best numbers. I don't want to change them for different enemies all the time. I prefer to use different weapons instead.

Are you sure they didn't patch this? I tried poison knifes and they didn't move his health bar.

Just looked and I didn't see anything in the patch notes. Videos and posts I've looked up that were posted recently (post patch 1.09) have the poison working as before. Look up one of those vids on YT and see how they're doing it compared to the way you do it, in case there's a difference maybe?

ColdPizza

Banned
Just looked and I didn't see anything in the patch notes. Videos and posts I've looked up that were posted recently (post patch 1.09) have the poison working as before. Look up one of those vids on YT and see how they're doing it compared to the way you do it, in case there's a difference maybe?

I already beat him just being super aggressive and using every damn item in my disposal. Lol. I just remember when using the poison knifes they did 30 damage and I didn't notice his health meter ticking down at all.

Onemic

How do you deal with those brain things that cause frenzy? It seems like they have eyes at the back of their head so I cant backstab them, I cant look at them directly, and they're incredibly resistant to physical attacks.

How do you deal with those brain things that cause frenzy? It seems like they have eyes at the back of their head so I cant backstab them, I cant look at them directly, and they're incredibly resistant to physical attacks.

You can avoid them, unless you are killing them for what they drop. Wear the highest frenzy resist gear you have, and there is a frenzy resist rune in the game you can use. You can parry them when they go for the grab, but it's risky. You can stagger them out of the grab, depending on the weapon. The saw cleavers transformation attack (R1 attacks, then L1 before she can grab) will stagger them, stopping the grab for example.

It kinda depends on how much damage you are doing. End game, I can kill one without the frenzy bar filling, and then I have to either wait it out, or take a sedative before moving on to another one. Frenzy can also just be healed through, as long as you're near topped off to prevent it from killing you when it triggers.

As the other poster stated, high frenzy res gear like the Graveguard set found in the Forbidden Woods will do you a solid, as will the Deep Sea +200 Frenzy Resistance rune found in the FW as well. With that equipped, Brain Trusts won't be as bothersome.

I already beat him just being super aggressive and using every damn item in my disposal. Lol. I just remember when using the poison knifes they did 30 damage and I didn't notice his health meter ticking down at all.

I feel ya. I'll take any victory I can from Chalice Dungeon bosses. As far as the poison goes, I don't remember numbers popping off him once it gets poisoned. I just keep him in view and backstep/dodge and watch his health slowly make its way downward.

Onemic

You can avoid them, unless you are killing them for what they drop. Wear the highest frenzy resist gear you have, and there is a frenzy resist rune in the game you can use. You can parry them when they go for the grab, but it's risky. You can stagger them out of the grab, depending on the weapon. The saw cleavers transformation attack (R1 attacks, then L1 before she can grab) will stagger them, stopping the grab for example.

It kinda depends on how much damage you are doing. End game, I can kill one without the frenzy bar filling, and then I have to either wait it out, or take a sedative before moving on to another one. Frenzy can also just be healed through, as long as you're near topped off to prevent it from killing you when it triggers.

There's one that appears near the end of the game that cant be avoided. It seems like its meant to be because you can hide behind some rocks, but trying to get past it never works as it notices you instantly, even with their back turned to you.

There's one that appears near the end of the game that cant be avoided. It seems like its meant to be because you can hide behind some rocks, but trying to get past it never works as it notices you instantly, even with their back turned to you.

Not sure which specific one you're referring to, but maybe a blue elixir would do the trick.

Last one on the bridge that has 3 of them? I just tested it with a character with no frenzy resist. You take the frenzy hit, but you can still run past them and heal. Frenzy damage is percentage based, so if you're topped off, one hit won't kill you.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Does anybody have any links to good Bloodborne lore videos/articles/forums?

I really like Jerk Sans Frontiers stuff on YouTube. I also know about VaatiVidya, but I honestly don't like his style of presentation.

I really like Jerk Sans Frontiers stuff on YouTube. I also know about VaatiVidya, but I honestly don't like his style of presentation.

I really enjoyed Marcus' aka EpicNameBro (ENB) gameplay & lore vids for all things Soulsy, Bloodborne included. Here's a link to his channel: LINK

Aguila

#ICONIC
I really enjoyed Marcus' aka EpicNameBro (ENB) gameplay & lore vids for all things Soulsy, Bloodborne included. Here's a link to his channel: LINK
Thanks! I'll check his channel out.

I watched the FightingCowboy's walkthrough (another YouTuber) and I'm currently playing the game through a second time and I still don't get most of what's going on lol.

The main people for BB are JSF, Aegon of Astora, and Redgrave. All their channels are good places to start. Aegon has a Let's Talk Lore playthrough of BB which sometimes has Redgrave and JSF as guest hosts/commentators.

Sulik2

Holy crap Marias third form is rough my counter strategy with the one hand Ludwig works great till third form. Gonna take some tries I think. Might need to adjust runes to more bullets so I can cannon her third form.

Onemic

Last one on the bridge that has 3 of them? I just tested it with a character with no frenzy resist. You take the frenzy hit, but you can still run past them and heal. Frenzy damage is percentage based, so if you're topped off, one hit won't kill you.

Ya it was that one. I'll try doing that next time. Im already in NG+ so it'll be a while before I get back to that area.

I have some difficulty with the boss
______Paarl Beast_____

Any tips ? I'm currently level 39, my highest stats are health, endurance and strength, and I got the Hendryk armor set.

Thanks

myco666

I have some difficulty with the boss
______Paarl Beast_____

Any tips ? I'm currently level 39, my highest stats are health, endurance and strength, and I got the Hendryk armor set.

Thanks
Try hitting the legs a lot. Once it collapses go all out to do as much damage as possible. When it gets up chase it and when it charges up try to get a charged attack on the front legs. That should make it collapse again and you now have it in a loop.

Top Bottom