• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Any tips on Amygdala in Chalice? Can barely get to 50% and no one is giving help. Cannon with bone marrow ash isn't even staggering him.

Got 10 Moonlight blade.

I don't really use to MLB, so this is going to be some general advice.

The best advice I can give is to try and memorize the patterns, although i still got squished by some of the hand-slaps. Maybe use a faster weapon if one's available, and do quick in-out runs when the hands are on the ground and the head is low. I was probably only getting 1-2 hits maximum. When she jumps, if you stand still she'll often miss you on the way down (but this will vary slightly depending on where she is in the arena—the lower ceilings at the edges truncate the jump, so she can still hit you).

When her arms come off, I found the easiest tactic was just to run in and go crazy on her legs The damage is terrible, but you can avoid the arms easily that way.

ColdPizza

Banned
I don't really use to MLB, so this is going to be some general advice.

The best advice I can give is to try and memorize the patterns, although i still got squished by some of the hand-slaps. Maybe use a faster weapon if one's available, and do quick in-out runs when the hands are on the ground and the head is low. I was probably only getting 1-2 hits maximum. When she jumps, if you stand still she'll often miss you on the way down (but this will vary slightly depending on where she is in the arena—the lower ceilings at the edges truncate the jump, so she can still hit you).

When her arms come off, I found the easiest tactic was just to run in and go crazy on her legs The damage is terrible, but you can avoid the arms easily that way.

Yeah, that's what I did too. When the arms came off I went after her legs and occasional shot to the head.

ChrisD

Whoever created Brainsuckers in this game can go turn in their game developers card.
Wow. I didn't think I could hate something more than dogs.

Upper
Cathedral Ward
is stressing me the frick out with how many of them there are. Make ONE WRONG MOVE and your life relies on a coin flip; does it want to chain grab you, or will you be allowed to dodge once released from the clutch?

Had to quit after dying to one while holding 43k Echoes. Got them back (giving me a total of 60k once everything was said and done) and just... didn't think I could play much more in that stressed mind.

On a happy note, ran into the Paarl on a complete accident while fleeing for my life from some Totally-Not-Werewolves. Took him down in the one go and got myself a Tonitrus from the shop. Loved it from the first test run, so I now have a Kirkhammer +8 and a Tonitrus +7 which is a divergence from my plan of just pouring everything into the Hammer. Definitely seems worth it thus far! Due to how fast it swings, it's amazing at locking down enemies that don't have any Super Armor.

Cracklox

Thanks for the help a page or so back folks. Got my shit together, and at the last boss of the dlc. I was so close to the boss from that second lamp too.

I actually found it really easy starting a new game. Blew through the first half of the game and 1 shot most of the bosses. Actual game experience is more important than the stats in terms of difficulty.

Ha, I'm at the end of the dlc, and only have Kos, and those 2 fucking giants in the pit left. My options last nite were get my shit handed to me over and over again by either of those encounters, or I could start a much put off second playthrough and actually kill shit and win. Went with the latter and got to the witches in about 3 or 4 hours. Had a great time wacking everything with the kirk hammer r2.

Now I just need to get dat wheel

Haha like I've mentioned before, I feel like since I've read a lot of
weird fiction
, I felt right at home with the whole
cosmic horror
angle, and because of that there will inevitably be parts that are obtuse or inscrutable. Don't feel bad :)

So are you planning on going through a NG+ run to check out the DLC, or did you manage to sequester you save file pre-boss that you can just load up and go from there?

Going through a NG+ run at least once, since I haven't done the DLC yet. Just beat
BSB and Vicar Amelia
! I may copy my save file for the third ending, but I'm having such a good time that I absolutely wanted to do a second playthrough.

Chalice dungeons kick my ass though.

Thanks.

The in front of him helped but I keep getting squashed when he has tiny bit of health and I'm dancing around his feet.

Do the tail trick, by far the easiest strategy:
position yourself behind Amygdala, behind her tail, but not too close, dont touch it. Amygdala arms wont be able to touch you and she'll do her jump attack.
As soon as she jumps, DONT MOVE (she wont hit you) and start charging your heavy attack, as soon as she lands lock her head and release your attack.
Unlock, roll under her, go back behind her tail. Repeat.

rtcn63

Whoever created Brainsuckers in this game can go turn in their game developers card.
Wow. I didn't think I could hate something more than dogs.

Upper
Cathedral Ward
is stressing me the frick out with how many of them there are. Make ONE WRONG MOVE and your life relies on a coin flip; does it want to chain gra

I probably won't go there this playthrough until after
Mergo's Wet Nurse
since then I can spend all my insight on blood rocks beforehand.

Chalice dungeons kick my ass though.

They definitely are a separate thing unto themselves, in terms of my strategy for play. Some of them-- especially the ones that have large, sprawling courtyard like grounds with larger enemies stalking the corners-- never fail to make my hands sweat.

Still, the fact that Chalice Dungeon enemies don't scale with NG+ will make the going a little less stressful the stronger you get.

rtcn63

DLC (strength) weapon thoughts

I've used the
beast cutter
for most of the middle third of the game, and although perfectly viable, I can't help but think that the presence of the
whirligig saw and amygdala arm
limit it to being an aesthetic choice. The one-handed form is akin to the transformed form of the saw cleaver, but the
beast cutter's
transformed R1 is just too slow and leaves you too open for normal mobs. This would be less of an issue if it actually did (significantly) more damage than the one-handed R1 (which is much, much faster). Personally, I believe it would've made a great starting weapon, replacing both the cleaver and the threaded cane. The scaling is relatively mediocre and the R2 is fantastic for cheesing bigger enemies in the early game.

But the other two DLC strength weapons while still slow, stagger and scale way better.

myco666

DLC (strength) weapon thoughts

I've used the
beast cutter
for most of the middle third of the game, and although perfectly viable, I can't help but think that the presence of the
whirligig saw and amygdala arm
limit it to being an aesthetic choice. The one-handed form is akin to the transformed form of the saw cleaver, but the
beast cutter's
transformed R1 is just too slow and leaves you too open for normal mobs. This would be less of an issue if it actually did (significantly) more damage than the one-handed R1 (which is much, much faster). Personally, I believe it would've made a great starting weapon, replacing both the cleaver and the threaded cane. The scaling is relatively mediocre and the R2 is fantastic for cheesing bigger enemies in the early game.

But the other two DLC strength weapons while still slow, stagger and scale way better.

Beast Cutter sure has some problems. At 50 Str a +10 BC does equal amount of damage as +10 TC at 50 Skill and that thing is faster. I love the weapon but it is somewhat worthless compared to other stuff.

But BC can stagger for days.

I've heard that but I didn't see it during use. The
whirligig
on the hand has a relatively fast and accurate R1 combo that's great for both large enemies and NPC bosses.
I used it against Eileen and Micolash
The BC just seems like it requires more work for the same result, if that.

Yep, I think its passive bonus only applies in its tranformed mode

rtcn63

But BC can stagger for days

I've heard that but I didn't see it during use. The
whirligig
on the hand has a relatively fast and accurate R1 combo that's great for both large enemies and NPC bosses.
I used it against Eileen and Micolash
The BC just seems like it requires more work for the same result, if that.

Orcastar

Is it just me or is
the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst (the guy you fight at the end of Eileen's questline)
actually the hardest boss in the game? I'm nearing the end of my second NG playthrough, having just reached
Nightmare of Mensis
, and none of the actual bosses have given me as much trouble as that bastard. After a dozen or so tries I just gave up and
cheesed him using the stairs.

I was actually expecting the game to be significantly harder with a skill build and without Ludwig's Holy Blade, but so far I've been breezing through it without much trouble. Granted I've still got
Amygdala, Ebrietas and Gehrman
to look forward to. Currently debating whether to stick to my Blade of Mercy +9 or try to
take down Gehrman early to get the Burial Blade
before going for the optional bosses and the DLC.

Is it just me or is
the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst (the guy you fight at the end of Eileen's questline)
actually the hardest boss in the game? I'm nearing the end of my second NG playthrough, having just reached
Nightmare of Mensis
, and none of the actual bosses have given me as much trouble as that bastard. After a dozen or so tries I just gave up and

I was actually expecting the game to be significantly harder with a skill build and without Ludwig's Holy Blade, but so far I've been breezing through it without much trouble. Granted I've still got
to look forward to. Currently debating whether to stick to my Blade of Mercy +9 or try to

Bloody Crow is the true secret hardest boss in Bloodborne imo. No other enemy has made me burn through my stock of vials faster than that guy. I also resigned myself to cheesing him.

As for the Burial Blade, just make sure you
got all your cords in a row before taking on-- and dying to-- Gherman.
Also, I really liked the Burial Blade, but some of the weapons in the DLC are just too awesome not to use. You'll have fun.

rtcn63

Ignoring the DLC bosses, I agree. He just seems to have insane amounts health for a hunter. No wonder he bested
Eileen.

Just beat (late-game boss)
Mergo's Wet Nurse
. That was harder than I remember, but I did use fewer tries this time around. I realized that I'm better off
dodging/rolling through her clone phase
instead of trying to attack head-on.

With that out of the way, I'm hitting
Upper Cathderal Ward
and the DLC. Bought two blood rocks to empty out my insight, might even have enough madmen's knowledge to afford one more. But it's not necessary yet.

With that out of the way, I'm hitting
Upper Cathderal Ward
and the DLC. Bought two blood rocks to empty out my insight, might even have enough madmen's knowledge to afford one more. But it's not necessary yet.

If you want to save that insight for something else in the future-- playing dress-up with the gear that can be bought from the Insight shop, etc...-- but still want another Blood Rock, there are a number out there via chalice dungeons.

rulerk1

Hi just got the game and PS4 last week and im having fun with it! I heard you can summon NPC characters to help with the Cleric Boss battle but the usual summon spots where Father G spawns arent available. I have both bells so I dont understand why the spawn points arent showing up. I beat the boss already but I just want to this for future playthroughs. Is my game glitched or something?

Raptor

Any tips on Amygdala in Chalice? Can barely get to 50% and no one is giving help. Cannon with bone marrow ash isn't even staggering him.

Got 10 Moonlight blade.

Stay back and lure his ground stomp, when she does that go in and do a couple of strikes to teh head and a visceral, go back and repeat, in phase 2 go to his ass and strike it there, she will jump and you will stay still charging your attack towards the screen because she will land with the face towards and you will hit it.

Thats it.

After maybe 50 tries I memorized all and did it maybe no hurt I cant remember.

rtcn63

Upper
Cathedral Ward

Brainsuckers are bullshit. Their attacks go through almost everything, one even broke through the last hit of the
Whirligig's
R1 combo. The L2 works, but it pushes them back, which could create an opening. Even the area bosses aren't as tough to take down.

myco666

Is it just me or is
Nightmare of Mensis

He is the hardest thing in the game but thats because it is cheap bullshit like every other NPC hunter encounter. Infinite stamina, infinite bullets, infinite vials, unrealistic damage output and unrealistic amount of health. I think I've only beaten that guy once and ignored every single time after that. It just isn't fun.

Hi just got the game and PS4 last week and im having fun with it! I heard you can summon NPC characters to help with the Cleric Boss battle but the usual summon spots where Father G spawns arent available. I have both bells so I dont understand why the spawn points arent showing up. I beat the boss already but I just want to this for future playthroughs. Is my game glitched or something?

You can't summon anyone if you have beaten the area boss already.

Cracklox

Yikes. Getting my welp on to Log after breezing my way to the area

I really want the weapon he guards for this playthrough, so I rushed there as early as I could. Currently SL40. The level itself wasn't too bad, but he completely wrecks me. Even tried summoning a few times, got the same person 3 times in a row, and still couldn't do it. Admittedly those were probably more my low level arse fault then the guy I summoned but whatever :/

My 1st playthrough, I went there a lot later and higher level and didn't have much trouble at all. That was back in the 1st week of launch as well and Log was one of the bosses in my playthrough that got affected by the lazy boss bug, which made him a total breeze. Under leveled + the first real time fighting him = tough

Looks like I need to put that plan on hold and go get some levels and/or gear and come back a little later I think

JJShadow

I finished my first playthrough a week ago and I was planning to give it a rest for a couple of months before going in again to reduce my backlog, but after lurking in this thread I cannot resist it anymore, I'll be starting my NG+ today lol

This time I'll be doing also the DLC, and my intention is to get the Platinum eventually, I don't usually care about trophies but this is the first time I really feel like getting it

Taking these things into account, how should I proceed? I'll be starting a NG+ with my level 85 character. I've heard about how hard the DLC is in NG+, so I was thinking about grinding and leveling up a little bit in the Chalice Dungeons before starting my new playthrough, and that way I could also get the
Pthumerian Queen
trophy. Any further advice/tip? Which is the recommended level to venture into the NG+ DLC?

tariniel

I hadn't played Bloodborne since shortly after I beat the DLC when it released, instead playing all of the other new stuff and Dark Souls 3 instead, but last night my friend asked for help on Logarius. He's on his first playthrough. I agreed but forgot that I had ended up in NG+ and couldn't get there yet (I had already killed Gascoigne). So I killed Amelia, Witches, went and got the Cainhurst Summons, but by the time I did all that he managed to kill the boss anyway.

Just for fun I summoned him on NG into my NG+ Castle Cainhurst and we went through the area. We ended up on the boss where my friend got 1shot by a spell and I managed to kill the boss anyways.

I forgot how much fun the combat in Bloodborne is compared to the other souls games. I had a complete blast and somehow parried Logarius to death which I had trouble doing even when I was more practiced at the game.

I'm thinking when I finish DkS3 it might be time to come back to BB to finish up NG+ or maybe start a new character and do another slow story play through. This game is just too good.

I finished my first playthrough a week ago and I was planning to give it a rest for a couple of months before going in again to reduce my backlog, but after lurking in this thread I cannot resist it anymore, I'll be starting my NG+ today lol

This time I'll be doing also the DLC, and my intention is to get the Platinum eventually, I don't usually care about trophies but this is the first time I really feel like getting it

Taking these things into account, how should I proceed? I'll be starting a NG+ with my level 85 character. I've heard about how hard the DLC is in NG+, so I was thinking about grinding and leveling up a little bit in the Chalice Dungeons before starting my new playthrough, and that way I could also get the
Pthumerian Queen
trophy. Any further advice/tip? Which is the recommended level to venture into the NG+ DLC?

85 is definitely low for NG+ DLC. I did regular game DLC around that level and it was already pretty tough. I'd say probably 120+ with some good gems for your weapon to increase your damage further. You might want to progress the chalice enough to get some good gems, or farm the frenzy-eyeball-ladies in mensis maybe. Chalice difficulty doesn't increase in NG+ so you can finish off NG any time you like and pick up where you left off with the Challice.

If I were you I'd say go to the regular NG DLC first. There's a good spot there to farm gems (near last boss) and by the time you're done with it you'll probably be level 120 anyways. Unless you already went to NG+ and it's too late.

Ferr986

He is the hardest thing in the game but thats because it is cheap bullshit like every other NPC hunter encounter. Infinite stamina, infinite bullets, infinite vials, unrealistic damage output and unrealistic amount of health. I think I've only beaten that guy once and ignored every single time after that. It just isn't fun.

Just cheese him. Drag him to the entrace doors. His AI will make him walk back to the cathedral. At that point you can block him and attack freely, he will not fight back, he just try to walk inside.

Just be careful that he doesn't get close to the stairs because that makes him agresive again.

ColdPizza

Banned
Just cheese him. Drag him to the entrace doors. His AI will make him walk back to the cathedral. At that point you can block him and attack freely, he will not fight back, he just try to walk inside.

Just be careful that he doesn't get close to the stairs because that makes him agresive again.

I beat him legitimatey, twice! I'm the king of the world!

It only took like 50 tries tho...lol, and luck, lots of luck staggering him at just the right moments.

Ferr986

I beat him legitimatey, twice! I'm the king of the world!

It only took like 50 tries tho...lol, and luck, lots of luck staggering him at just the right moments.

Yeah beat him legally once (first run) and that's it. Took me a shit ton of tries (+30 mins of constant trying easily). Just fuck him lol You need to be very good at parrying and I usually suck at that.

rulerk1

You can't summon anyone if you have beaten the area boss already.

Interesting. Though even before I beat him, Father G's summon spots weren't appearing.

Molemitts

Dark Souls III was great and it made me want to go back and finish the Bloodborne DLC. I got up to L
ady Maria
, which was such a fun fight, but I ran out of Blood Vials and did not want to summon for it, as I really wanted to take it on myself. I ended up just leaving it. Anyway, I returned, grind for vials and took her on. She's got to be the best fight in the game it was like an intense battle between hunters. So much fun. Anyway I go through the next area, which is actually really hard and way shorter than I expected. Still interesting an interesting setting, though.

Now I'm at O
rphan of Kos
, I don't mind summoning for it because I feel like these bosses are way too hard and L
ady Maria
was enough satisfaction for me. Of course summons seem really rare at the moment so I'd appreciate it if someone here was to help me out. I'm level 70.

Edit: I did it!

Orcastar

Damn, managed to beat
Gehrman
on my third try. Took me at least 10 tries last year when I was playing the game for the first time, so I was expecting him to put up more of a fight. Didn't realize back then how susceptible he is to staggering since I played practically through the entire game swinging Ludwig's Holy Blade around in 2-hand mode.

Now I've only got
Upper Cathedral Ward and Nightmare Frontier
left before I can delve into the DLC for the first time.

JJShadow

85 is definitely low for NG+ DLC. I did regular game DLC around that level and it was already pretty tough. I'd say probably 120+ with some good gems for your weapon to increase your damage further. You might want to progress the chalice enough to get some good gems, or farm the frenzy-eyeball-ladies in mensis maybe. Chalice difficulty doesn't increase in NG+ so you can finish off NG any time you like and pick up where you left off with the Challice.

If I were you I'd say go to the regular NG DLC first. There's a good spot there to farm gems (near last boss) and by the time you're done with it you'll probably be level 120 anyways. Unless you already went to NG+ and it's too late.

Thank you for the tips mate, but unfortunately I already went to NG+, so I only had the opportunity to venture into it or create a new character. I started my NG+ this afternoon and in a couple of hours I managed to complete one Chalice Dungeon and defeated
Father Gascoigne, it hits REALLY hard even in NG+
. I think I´ll make my way through a few Chalice Dungeons to farm some good gems and get a couple of trophies, and will complete a second playthrough before going into the DLC

Btw, just out of curiosity, anyone knows how many times is increased the amount of blood echoes you win in NG+? I thought I was going to spend a lot of time farming in the initial areas to gain enough blood echoes to level up, but after defeating the first two bosses I realised I already had enough of them to gain 4 or 5 levels lol

rtcn63

Level 89. Took on the... first boss of the DLC.

An hour and half of attempts, roughly. Switched from the
Arm to the Beast Cutter
after some point. I know I harp on the weapon, but I get the sense now that it was designed specifically for this fight.

See the thing is although this is my second playthrough (new character), I actually had help from an NPC hunter the first time around (for this fight). Accidentally. I didn't mean to summon it, but this was when they'd just patched them in, and I was like "what is this red glowing spot before this boss door." And since I beat every other boss alone, I had no choice but to make things right.

Also I can't imagine taking on any of the DLC bosses in NG+ below level 90. Regular NG was hard enough. I'm sure it's possible, but fuck it must be trying.

myco666

Yeah I could do that but the reward for it is not worth even that. Rather just ignore it entirely and keep going foward.

Haven't played for months - this new League covenant is basically just the Sunbros right?

Also the DLC is brutal. I think I may have made a mistake going to it directly after Amelia lol.

Lastly, I MISSED BLOODBORNE COMBAT SO MUCH!!!

myco666

Haven't played for months - this new League covenant is basically just the Sunbros right?

Also the DLC is brutal. I think I may have made a mistake going to it directly after Amelia lol.

Lastly, I MISSED BLOODBORNE COMBAT SO MUCH!!!

Yup. League is basically sunbros. You get the cool bucket hat after you have crushed 5 vermins IIRC. Don't remember if there was more to be gained from the covenant but I assume not since I barely collected vermins.

Going to DLC right after Amelia for first time experience is going to be rough. Even after beating the DLC multiple times I wasn't ready for that experience. Just went in and got upgrade materials and weapons I needed since killing anything there was out of question. Would recommend to come back there after Rom since you get pretty good gems after that so your damage will be decent for the DLC.

Yup. League is basically sunbros. You get the cool bucket hat after you have crushed 5 vermins IIRC. Don't remember if there was more to be gained from the covenant but I assume not since I barely collected vermins.

Going to DLC right after Amelia for first time experience is going to be rough. Even after beating the DLC multiple times I wasn't ready for that experience. Just went in and got upgrade materials and weapons I needed since killing anything there was out of question. Would recommend to come back there after Rom since you get pretty good gems after that so your damage will be decent for the DLC.
Cool, thanks!
I actually got up to
Ludwig
(after several hours lol) but my weapons were basically tickling him so I had to back out and just continue to play normally. Got some sweet new weapons, though!
Really looking forward to seeing more of the DLC.

deim0s

So, I'm currently at forbidden woods and summoned an NPC and the first time I got an invasion. Then I noticed another lantern and summoned another named Henryk. The player just scurried away after each engagement till he got tired and fell to his death from a cliff. Never got anything or notification iirc.

So invasions are triggered by what exactly? Summoning NPCs? I never encountered any PvP shenanigans since the game came out.

myco666

So, I'm currently at forbidden woods and summoned an NPC and the first time I got an invasion. Then I noticed another lantern and summoned another named Henryk. The player just scurried away after each engagement till he got tired and fell to his death from a cliff. Never got anything or notification iirc.

So invasions are triggered by what exactly? Summoning NPCs? I never encountered any PvP shenanigans since the game came out.

Invasions are triggered by either summoning other player or ringing sinister bell. What these thing do is they summon a bell maiden in your game that activates invasions to your game. So basically if you never use the multiplayer part you won't see invasions ever which is actually interesting idea although it kills invasion activity entirely since there is way less people to invade.

ColdPizza

Banned
Invasions are triggered by either summoning other player or ringing sinister bell. What these thing do is they summon a bell maiden in your game that activates invasions to your game. So basically if you never use the multiplayer part you won't see invasions ever which is actually interesting idea although it kills invasion activity entirely since there is way less people to invade.

I've always been curious, can you find the bell maiden and kill it it in this instance or are they just hidden?

myco666

I've always been curious, can you find the bell maiden and kill it it in this instance or are they just hidden?

You can find them and kill them. Often times when I invaded I found hosts and their buddies usually rushing to kill them. They have specific spawn points (not sure if there are multiple different ones in the level) where they will spawn so you can kill the bell maiden before anyone invades making you have summons while free of invasions. Not entirely sure if they can respawn after certain period of time since when people summon they generally summon for the boss fights and not for the entire level.

ColdPizza

Banned
You can find them and kill them. Often times when I invaded I found hosts and their buddies usually rushing to kill them. They have specific spawn points (not sure if there are multiple different ones in the level) where they will spawn so you can kill the bell maiden before anyone invades making you have summons while free of invasions. Not entirely sure if they can respawn after certain period of time since when people summon they generally summon for the boss fights and not for the entire level.

Interesting, I've never come across one when summoning help.

Nothing more annoying when you're trying to work your way through Nightmare of Mensis when someone jacks you up on the way to do something, lol.

One time in nightmare frontier, this guy trolled me the entire time, completely naked and playing Father G's music box. Every time I went to attack them they kept rolling away.

Finally, once he stood still goading me to come after him, I armed my cannon with a bone marrow ash and one shotted him straight to hell, lol.

rtcn63

You can get your weapon to +7 or 8 just by running through the initial DLC area before the boss door. There are blood chunks lying around here and there.

And of course, if you're a strength build, you can grab all the best weapons right away. And if you're a skill build... you're probably going to have to come back in 60 plus levels.

myco666

Interesting, I've never come across one when summoning help.

Nothing more annoying when you're trying to work your way through Nightmare of Mensis when someone jacks you up on the way to do something, lol.

One time in nightmare frontier, this guy trolled me the entire time, completely naked and playing Father G's music box. Every time I went to attack them they kept rolling away.

Finally, once he stood still goading me to come after him, I armed my cannon with a bone marrow ash and one shotted him straight to hell, lol.

I usually manage run through Mensis so fast that the invaders can't even catch me before I get to the boss room even if they invade when I am at the first lamp lol. But yeah trolling players are the best and cannon pretty much breaks any serious PVP game with randoms. Love to just punish any whiffed attack with it.

You can get your weapon to +7 or 8 just by running through the initial DLC area before the boss door. There are blood chunks lying around here and there.

And of course, if you're a strength build, you can grab all the best weapons right away. And if you're a skill build... you're probably going to have to come back in 60 plus levels.

I was so annoyed that the base game was missing 5 chunks before SoY that you couldn't get your weapon to +9. Thank god the DLC solved that issue but I still would love to be able to get a Rock also.

But even if you get your weapon to +9 you are not going to do any major damage since weapon upgrades not actually the biggest damage changer like in Souls. Here you actually have to get decent gems if you want to have good damage output. I tried to kill Ludwig with +9 Whirligig Saw from level 30 to 50 and the damage just wasn't enough but once I got +18% physical gem from Yahar'gul it became much more manageable.

rtcn63

Bosses as a whole seem to a have a LOT more health/defense than other Souls games. I guess to push the aggressive nature of combat. I had like 36 strength and a +9
beast cutter
when I beat him, and it was tough. At first I wasn't sure if I was even doing enough damage and considered grinding the chalice dungeons for souls/gems. (Both of which I was severely lacking compared to my first playthrough)

Orcastar

Downed
Ebrietas
on my second try, way easier than I thought it would be. Didn't need more than three tries for any of the bosses even though this was only my second playthrough of the game. Didn't expect it to go this easy, especially after how much trouble some of the bosses in Dark Souls 3 gave me.

Anyway, now I've got nothing left to do in the base game except chalice dungeons, and since chalice dungeons are garbage, I guess it's time to buy that DLC. Should have bought it back when it was on sale a few months ago, but oh well... Currently lvl 92 with a +10
Burial Blade
, so I should be all set.

jonjonaug

Just finished up another replay with a Hunters Axe/Pizza Cutter build.

The only boss I died to in the main game was One Reborn, who I've never died to before in my other 5 or so playthroughs, so that was a little annoying. DLC went very nicely with only one death on Maria and three on the Orphan.

rtcn63

Well that was surprising. Took out
Lady Maria
in like five tries. I was much higher level the first time around and she was... I got rekt a lot. I used the
Whirligig
, but I had it back then too, so maybe I'm just a better player. Or they patched her to be easier.

The Holy Blade and the
Whirligig
are probably the de facto strength weapons. They're the least flashy but most functional, especially against humanoid enemies. Their speed, tracking, and stagger ability make them optimal in like 95% of situations.

And I do wish you could get the
Rakuyo
much earlier than you do. Even the Blades of Mercy require you be pretty high level to get. Skill builds get the short end of variety.

Top Bottom