• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Matty8787

Not really. From my memory you only lose couple of gestures and access to certain armor set so really nothing major. Then again you are still at the very beginning so might as well.

You monster.

Hmm, not really, unless you want to do her quests. It rewards you a rune but its kind of meh. Rest of items you already got them killing her.

But also, you're literally at the start of the game so it wouldn't take much reaching that point.

I am at the beginning but seem to be going in circles haha not quite sure which way to head tbh. I ain't gunna start again though I'll just spare her on my next playthrough.

ColdPizza

Banned
You monster.

Hmm, not really, unless you want to do her quests. It rewards you a rune but its kind of meh. Rest of items you already got them killing her.

But also, you're literally at the start of the game so it wouldn't take much reaching that point.

You also miss out on
some cool fights like Henryk and therefore his armor as well as the crow hunter, that bastard

rulerk1

I killed Henryk, the Witch and Vicar Amelia yesterday. The later two were less bullshit and easier to deal with than BSB and CB. The atmosphere of Hemlick was probably my favorite of all the places I've been to. Now that it's night shits probably gonna go down now smh

I'm getting my ass handed to me by both BSB and Vicar Amelia. I think I'm level ~25.

I probably could have finished vicar amelia if she didn't have that healing power when she's down low on health. She has a ton of health to begin with, but then she can recover way more than I can deal. I'm out of the item that prevents it too.

BSB isn't too bad either, until he gets to the last form with the crazy poison damage. Even with the black church set it's difficult to get hits on him without getting poisoned.

I'm doing a skill build and so far have just been using the threaded cane (and upgrading as I go). Is there a way to buy fire paper? Or can it only be looted?

Needham

I'm doing a skill build and so far have just been using the threaded cane (and upgrading as I go). Is there a way to buy fire paper? Or can it only be looted?
You can buy fire paper from the insight shop on the ledge above the normal shop for 1 insight each, but I'm not sure at what point they become available.

rtcn63

I'm getting my ass handed to me by both BSB and Vicar Amelia. I think I'm level ~25.

I probably could have finished vicar amelia if she didn't have that healing power when she's down low on health. She has a ton of health to begin with, but then she can recover way more than I can deal. I'm out of the item that prevents it too.

BSB isn't too bad either, until he gets to the last form with the crazy poison damage. Even with the black church set it's difficult to get hits on him without getting poisoned.

You can knock her out of her healing phase by attacking her enough. At least, I took her on with a +3 saw cleaver and didn't see her heal. Be aggressive, and pump points into endurance and health if you have to. (That's generally how I play)

As for the BSB- he just sucks. Period. You can try parrying him for most/all of the fight, since he has pretty obvious tells (raising his hand before he attacks, just make sure he's not doing his grab). If you don't care to start the Chalice Dungeons right away, you can save him for later since you've already opened the gate to the Cathedral. He's technically an optional boss.

I switched to a +3 Saw spear/blunderbuss combo for the BSB and was able to take him on in my first try. Seems easier to parry with the blunderbuss, and the spear did way more damage or was easier to hit it seems.

rtcn63

1) In BB, I believe you have more options as a strength character (especially if you have the DLC). The better dex weapons are pretty late-game.

2) Like DS2, pick a weapon and upgrade it as fast as possible. Every weapon has the same upgrade requirements (type and number of necessary material to get from one level to the next).

3) Be aggressive. High stamina and health are in your favor.

4) Don't be too liberal with your blood vials (health restore) early on. You may find yourself having to farm it.

5) There is one specific enemy type that can consume your "insight". They're few and far between (barring one area late-game), so try to identify and avoid them. Insight's primary use is the purchasing of armor and upgrade materials.

Sulik2

Thx u

Can I afford to build strength AND stamina? What ratio (more stg or stamina?)

Vitality is more important early then anything else, you need the health. I focused on Vita, which gave me enough health to deal with switching from a dex build to a str build mid game on my play through.

Build a character for Ludwig's Holy Blade. The damage scaling is so good on it and you can buy it relatively early that I honestly don't see the the point of any other weapon in the game as your primary. Some of the DLC weapons are fantastic in certain situations, like Simon's Bow Blade, but Ludwig's damage is too good.

rtcn63

Get enough strength/dex to wield the weapon you want, then focus on health/stamina for the most part. (Later enemies/bosses will one-shot you if you haven't been putting points into health) Early on, the damage increases from upgrading your weapon and slotted gems will be your primary sources of death. I think. I had a much easier time in my second playthrough partly because I focused my points on stamina/strength/health instead of spreading myself thin.

And yes, Ludwig's is probably your best all-arounder. Although if you have the DLC, you can pick up the Whirligig Saw not so long after. (You will have eventually have enough materials to upgrade multiple weapons)

WhiteWolf

Helped about 6 people defeat Rom today, didn't have to wait much longer than 1 minute to get summoned. Glad to see it's still fairly active.

I love this game, even after beating it 7-8 times I can't stop playing it.

françois

You can knock her out of her healing phase by attacking her enough. At least, I took her on with a +3 saw cleaver and didn't see her heal. Be aggressive, and pump points into endurance and health if you have to. (That's generally how I play)

As for the BSB- he just sucks. Period. You can try parrying him for most/all of the fight, since he has pretty obvious tells (raising his hand before he attacks, just make sure he's not doing his grab). If you don't care to start the Chalice Dungeons right away, you can save him for later since you've already opened the gate to the Cathedral. He's technically an optional boss.

To follow up on this: there's an item you can use to stop her healing. Numbing mist its called iirc. Not sure if you can buy those before her fight but you can definitely find some.

As for BSB, I tried parrying but it didn't really work out. Just make sure you have a few antidotes on hand just in case and play defensively. Once you get to know his moves you can avoid the grab attack, which for me meant I died. After some of his chain of attacks you can get 1 or 2 hits in. Just back off afterwards and wait for another chance. Not sure what weapon you're using but I read that the saw cleaver is really good against him because of some internal dmg boost against beasts.

jonjonaug

A good strategy for BSB is to use parrying for most of the fight until he enters his wild "poison just by being near you" phase, and from there throw Pungent Blood Cocktails to distract him until he's dead.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5gF1FAlvjA

J2d

You monster.

wut the stamina rune is awesome, bb has some shitty runes though so it's not saying much :/

myco666

wut the stamina rune is awesome, bb has some shitty runes though so it's not saying much :/

For singleplayer purposes it is okay but hardly worth it when you can get the Executioner rune which gives you more life from Vials. For coop Oath runes are shit though and should never be used aside from the League. And there are definitely lot of good and useful runes such as Visceral Attack up, all different damage resists runes, get life back from Visceral attacks, Vial ups and QS Bullets up. Lot of worthwhile stuff depending on your build and current location.

J2d

I was mostly thinking of that final rune you can equip, if memory serves me right there was like only six to chose from. The other three you equip are good.

myco666

Yeah there were six of those if you have the DLC. Hunter and Executioner are best ones easily unless you want to use the transformation ones.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Started up a new character on a whim after not having played for many months and also playing through the entirety of Dark Souls II and III and some of Dark Souls.

This game's still pretty damn good, isn't it? I think it definitely looks more impressive visually than Dark Souls III outside of some specific spots with great views in that game, but I wish it didn't have chromatic abberation. Really hurts the image quality.

Loving the combat, but I must have really gotten "gud" since I last played the game because I really breezed through both the Cleric Beast and Gascoigne and the areas leading up to them without even really needing to heal much at all.

Sulik2

Holy crap this game. Finally got to the last chalice dungeon in my NG+ run through. I totally missed killing the brain in my first game. The Pthumerian Descendant is basically Orphan of Kos in a room where you can't move freely. What a horrible boss fight. Eight tries in already. Can get him to second form consistently, but he hits like a truck and so freaking fast second form. Trying to stay back and chip away at him with Simon's in second form but he just closes so quickly.

Ogawa-san

Decided to make a full (99) arcane char to see what's it about. With full powered tools and some cold abyssal gems on a whirligig saw it's straight up broken, no issues at all in NG+. Executioner's Gloves can trivialize so many bosses by itself...

How's a BLT build in comparison for PvE? I don't want to go all the way to Cainhurst at mid 30s for a Chikage (if I can manage to kill Logarius, that is) just to find out it's not much better than my previous quality build.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Decided to make a full (99) arcane char to see what's it about. With full powered tools and some cold abyssal gems on a whirligig saw it's straight up broken, no issues at all in NG+. Executioner's Gloves can trivialize so many bosses by itself...

How's a BLT build in comparison for PvE? I don't want to go all the way to Cainhurst at mid 30s for a Chikage (if I can manage to kill Logarius, that is) just to find out it's not much better than my previous quality build.

Likewise, fully powered Evelyn and *especially* Repeating Pistol also trivialize a great many bosses, and with a lot less stat investment required too. Not to mention Simon's Bow, heh, that weapon is just awesome, making some of the game's most difficult battles a cakewalk.

I don't really use Chikage so I can't comment on that, I usually go Skill + Bloodtinge.

Beat the Headless Bloodletting Beast and Queen Yharnam on Friday morning! Started the DLC but haven't been able to play too much of it since I was out of town this weekend.

Sulik2

L.O.L

Spent two hours dying to mobs early on.

I'll figure it out.

The start of Bloodborne is horribly designed. Look up a video so you can find the first boss just by running to him as fast as possible so you can get an insight and start leveling up. Not letting you level when you are bashing your head on new mechanics is this games biggest sin.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The start of Bloodborne is horribly designed. Look up a video so you can find the first boss just by running to him as fast as possible so you can get an insight and start leveling up. Not letting you level when you are bashing your head on new mechanics is this games biggest sin.
Total opposite, it's masterful design. And also it forces you to understand how to play instead of using levels as a crutch.

myheaduphigh

Neo Member
Decided it's been long enough since my last time with Bloodborne so I popped the disc in and reinstalled. Except... The ps4 isn't triggering any updates, nor is the check for update button. It's sitting at 1.0. It also wouldn't even go past the initial splash screen on boot unless I deleted my save file. Any advice on getting this thing to download updates? I tried googling but could only find stuff relating to the dupe glitch...

myco666

Nah like Demon's Souls (and to an extent Dark Souls series) locking out leveling for the first level is good. Like Morrigan said it makes you learn the mechanics instead of giving you tools to _power through_ everything that would teach you how to play the game.

Gbraga

You can get two (iirc) madman's knowledge in Central Yharnam. There's no need to reach a boss to level up.

jonjonaug

There's also enough blood shards lying around to upgrade your weapon a couple of times before encounteribg a boss, although I didn't notice the upgrade bench until after killing my first boss.

Egg0

Banned
Wondering if anyone has had this problem...

I upgraded my PS4 hard drive today and was trying to reinstall Bloodborne on my new hard drive. I'm pretty sure it's finished installing, because the disc doesn't spin super loud anymore, but the file size still says 27.20 gb. I went to "check for update" and it's telling me I have the latest version. The main menu says App ver.0 and Server ver.-.

Anyone have this happen or know a fix?

Edit: I had to restore licenses, ignore me!

Edit 2: Restoring licenses didn't work, it still won't even let me redownload The Old Hunters or the messenger hats.

SDR-UK

Wondering if anyone has had this problem...

I upgraded my PS4 hard drive today and was trying to reinstall Bloodborne on my new hard drive. I'm pretty sure it's finished installing, because the disc doesn't spin super loud anymore, but the file size still says 27.20 gb. I went to "check for update" and it's telling me I have the latest version. The main menu says App ver.0 and Server ver.-.

Anyone have this happen or know a fix?

No idea. 27.20 is the quoted install for the vanilla game, but you should have a 9GB patch coming your way. Have you tried installing yet again?

Egg0

Banned
Yeah, I'm asking can you delete and try reinstalling yet again? This is a very weird occurance.

Yea, I've reinstalled at least 3 times now. It might be PS4 issue, because the same thing is happening to Dying Light. It keeps telling me I have the latest version for that too, but I never got a patch download.

Although Uncharted 4 is working fine, it downloaded the day 1 patch and everything.

SDR-UK

Yea, I've reinstalled at least 3 times now. It might be PS4 issue, because the same thing is happening to Dying Light. It keeps telling me I have the latest version for that too, but I never got a patch download.

Although Uncharted 4 is working fine, it downloaded the day 1 patch and everything.

Yeah, this sounds like a truly baffling issue. My suggestion would be to reformat if that's an option once again and try starting from scratch. If that doesn't work? I'm totally out of ideas. Very strange.

Egg0

Banned
Yeah, this sounds like a truly baffling issue. My suggestion would be to reformat if that's an option once again and try starting from scratch. If that doesn't work? I'm totally out of ideas. Very strange.

Yeah I'm thinking about doing that before I install anything else. Thanks anyways.

Edit: Weird, a few google searches led me to a minecraft forum about the PS4 version not updating even though it's version 1.00. Which led to a couple playstation support thread and it's happening to other people as well. It seems to be a fairly new problem? Some of these threads were created yesterday, so I might wait it out before initializing.

françois

LOL

Took me 5-6 hrs beating the first boss. Little steps. Felt like my balls dropped when I unlocked the shortcut to the left of lantern at very beginning. I fought the boss over and over for awhile without said shortcut fighting the entire mob at beginning over and over.

See, figuring it out is the magic here.

Question:

How do I summon a friend to play with me? I have insight 3 and recon Bell but don't know how to use it . the 'use' is greyed out.

Try summoning a bit further away from the boss room. I don't know the exact rules for it, but I noticed it aswell when I was doing the
shadows of yharnam
boss. When I was standing near the white mist it wouldn't allow me to ring the bell, if I ran away from it it would allow me summon.

Oh. Haven't heard about a glitch on those so you are probably missing one weapon. There are 16 new weapons in the DLC. Also you need to buy Piercing Rifle from the shop.

edit. Too slow lol.

You would have pointed me in the right direction. Instead I just started buying Old Hunter weapons from the shop until it popped. I wasted many, many, souls (not that they matter at this point).

Soulhouf

A full BT build with a Chikage is the most powerful build in the game. The reason is that you can get about 600-800 (depending on the gems you use) AR full bloodtinge with that weapon and it's fast. Also there are only a few enemies resistant to BT in the game so basically you won't really need another weapon.
The awesome thing about that build is not only you do an insane amount of melee damage but also high damage with guns (Evelyn 1 bullet, Repeting Pistol slightly more powerful but uses 2 bullets) and you can also use Simon Bowblade for another ranged option that is completely broken in certain situations.

Top Bottom