• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Recently started a second playthrough. Up to
Gehrman
now and doing the chalice dungeons. I really don't like the grinding for chalice dungeon items. But I will persevere and get the platinum!

At least CDs don't scale with NG+. You'll get plenty powerful there. As for items-- I assume for other chalice rituals needed open the dungeons that get you towards that CD trophy boss? If so, this page has a great step-by-step breakdown of the order you ought to attack the CDs in and what you'll be looking for, so you don't waste any materials.

If you get bored and want to go cruising for another items to make you or your weapons more powerful i.e. chalice-only runes and blood rocks, this page will help with that.

Thought she was a pushover after everything else I've faced. I also hate crying babies.

Overall this was an excellent game, although I basically understood little of the actual story. My first Souls experience.

Yeah she was definitely easier given the pain of going through the Defiled chalice, Still, I enjoyed the fight just because it was different than the other big monster fights, with interesting movesets.

As for lore, I guess it made more sense to me because I've read a lot of Lovecraft in the past, but there are definitely still things I'm pretty fuzzy on that I believe the game is purposefully obtuse about. Still, if you're interested, there are a number of good YTers out there with lore-only vids. JSF has a really good series that is interesting, though I wouldn't call it exhaustive. It mostly deals with some of the other less-straightforward areas/enemies and how they might fit in.

AlexBasch

What is your main weapon? It's usually best to avoid arcane and bloodtinge, unless you have a build in mind, or want enough arcane to use a hunters tool(magic).
Think it was for a gun, can't remember, all I know is that the rifle looked cool and once I bought it, it had like 20 damage or something. :'D

I was kinda surprised when I fought some enemies and they released thunders and shit, tbh. :p

Finally beat them once I got it up to 22 and found the item that let me buy Fire Paper. Also I somehow landed a Visceral Attack. Not actually sure what I did, but it works with me.

For a game that people had me believing was super skill-based (like, to the point where it's all on you), stats sure change things! I'm feeling much stronger with 25 Vitality and a +5 Weapon.
Yeah...I had to grind up a bit to get past
the three damn hunters in the Cathedral
because I kept getting one shotted by the thunder attack, or by a badly timed hit. Grew up to VIT 30 and yeah, things got on track real fast.

Btw, is it just me or did I just walk into Dark Souls in the
Yahargul area
? I was using the Ludwig Sword battling witches in the cathedral and thought it wasn't Bloodborne anymore, haha.

So, I bought this game back when it came out, and beat two bosses, but didn't really get into it. It wasn't fun for some reason, and I felt like the bosses I beat were just due to luck.

I picked it up again a week or so ago and something just clicked and I've been playing nonstop during all my free time. I think I'm nearing the end of the first playthrough. Is this what it's like to be a SoulsBorne player?

Smashing things to death with a giant wheel. It's pretty awesome!

So, I bought this game back when it came out, and beat two bosses, but didn't really get into it. It wasn't fun for some reason, and I felt like the bosses I beat were just due to luck.

I picked it up again a week or so ago and something just clicked and I've been playing nonstop during all my free time. I think I'm nearing the end of the first playthrough. Is this what it's like to be a SoulsBorne player?

Depending on how many playthroughs you want to do, you might want to copy your save before the final boss
[you'll know you're there when the gate in the Hunter's Dream is open]
onto a USB; depending on how it plays out, you'll get one ending trophy. Simply copy back the pre-boss save and do it differently for the others. There are plenty guides out there to point you in the right direction so you don't have to play through the game in its entirety again. And yes, Bloodborne and SoulsBorne games in general are pretty awesome once they click for you. Glad you went back to it!

SarusGray

Glad to have you in the team ;)

Vorheez

Coming back to this game after DS3... Jesus christ some of the design decisions are fucking godawful. Why do I have to go to from Tomb of Oedon -> Hunters Dream -> Central Yharnam and waste a ton of time on loading screens? Why can't I just go from Tomb of Oedon -> Central Yharnam? Did seriously nobody consider this when developing the game?

myco666

Coming back to this game after DS3... Jesus christ some of the design decisions are fucking godawful. Why do I have to go to from Tomb of Oedon -> Hunters Dream -> Central Yharnam and waste a ton of time on loading screens? Why can't I just go from Tomb of Oedon -> Central Yharnam? Did seriously nobody consider this when developing the game?

There should be option to warp between lamps but honestly I don't find it a big issue having to go through the Dream. And especially in your situation you could just walk to that lamp probably faster.

Loaded it up and did it just now. 43 seconds. From the Tomb of Oedon Lamp -> Return to the HD -> Touch the Gravestone -> Central Yharnam is 43 seconds. You clearly find it annoying that there's no shortcut (btw, where would one be placed and where would it spit you out, given the layout of both places?), but "waste a ton of time" is a bit rich.

There should be option to warp between lamps but honestly I don't find it a big issue having to go through the Dream. And especially in your situation you could just walk to that lamp probably faster.

This would've been a nice solution, at the very least allowed you to warp between lamps within the same "gravestone".

Just run there if you don't like the loading times. It wouldn't take that long. Just go back to the bridge, take the elevator shortcut, run to gate shortcut, and there's the lamp.

So playing this game has made me want to play DS3...should I play DS2 first? Will it be a downgrade for me?

The consensus around here seems to be that DS2-- while not bad at all-- is the weakest of the series. If you've never played Demon's Souls or Dark Souls however-- and have no real intention to-- then I'd say just jump into DS3. If you want you can check out lore recaps for DS1 and 2 online.

Vorheez

Just run there if you don't like the loading times. It wouldn't take that long. Just go back to the bridge, take the elevator shortcut, run to gate shortcut, and there's the lamp.

Loaded it up and did it just now. 43 seconds. From the Tomb of Oedon Lamp -> Return to the HD -> Touch the Gravestone -> Central Yharnam is 43 seconds. You clearly find it annoying that there's no shortcut (btw, where would one be placed and where would it spit you out, given the layout of both places?), but "waste a ton of time" is a bit rich.
The problem is that I'm farming between these lamps. So, instead of just allowing me to run from Central Yharnam to Tomb of Oedon and then transporting back to Central to respawn all of the enemies, I'm forced to go through a middle ground that is a waste of time. Yes it's only "43 seconds," but when you're doing it dozens of times within the hour it is grating as all hell. I remember farming 700,000 souls in DS3 within 2 hours and it was effortless because all I had to do was do a circular run, sit at the bonfire for 1 second, and then repeat. Maybe it's the contrasting wait times that makes Bloodborne seem like an eternity, but it's still stupid.

myco666

The problem is that I'm farming between these lamps. So, instead of just allowing me to run from Central Yharnam to Tomb of Oedon and then transporting back to Central to respawn all of the enemies, I'm forced to go through a middle ground that is a waste of time. Yes it's only "43 seconds," but when you're doing it dozens of times within the hour it is grating as all hell. I remember farming 700,000 souls in DS3 within 2 hours and it was effortless because all I had to do was do a circular run, sit at the bonfire for 1 second, and then repeat. Maybe it's the contrasting wait times that makes Bloodborne seem like an eternity, but it's still stupid.

Why you are farming there? There are much better places and coop is much better way to gather echoes as well.

Vorheez

Why you are farming there? There are much better places and coop is much better way to gather echoes as well.
I just started playing, and it's an excellent place to get bullets (wheelchair dude in house) and 6-8 vials every run (3 trolls and 2 lengthy wolfbeast dudes) plus you get the free 400 echoes everytime that troll pushes the flaming boulder down the bridge. Regardless, my point still stands. It's a pain in the ass.

myco666

I just started playing, and it's an excellent place to get bullets (wheelchair dude in house) and 6-8 vials every run (3 trolls and 2 lengthy wolfbeast dudes) plus you get the free 400 echoes everytime that troll pushes the flaming boulder down the bridge. Regardless, my point still stands. It's a pain in the ass.

Sounds barely worth the hassle. Much better to just go foward and spend Echoes you gain on Vials and Bullets when you don't have enough for level. Like I get that the farming is 'hard' with how the game works but there is barely any need to do it unless you decide for some reason to do it.

Aight, someone mentioned Bloodborne so now I need to replay it. What weapons should I use?

Bare fists with BBP.

Seriously though what have you used? Would highly recommend Beast Claws but they are kinda hard to get early. Logarius' Wheel maybe?

Vorheez

Sounds barely worth the hassle. Much better to just go foward and spend Echoes you gain on Vials and Bullets when you don't have enough for level. Like I get that the farming is 'hard' with how the game works but there is barely any need to do it unless you decide for some reason to do it.
I've heard the exact opposite from the wikis and walkthroughs I've read. They all advise against wasting echoes on vials and bullets, and they recommend farming in the location I'm currently at. I understand why, because it's working well and I've accumulated plenty of those items, but the extra time it takes to do it is annoying because of poor design decisions (nothing else) and is why I made my initial comment. I'm not complaining about "wasting my time" doing the farming, I'm complaining about having to dick around in hunters dream and 1 extra loading screen every 5 minutes after I complete each run.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Seriously though what have you used? Would highly recommend Beast Claws but they are kinda hard to get early. Logarius' Wheel maybe?

I've used pretty much every main game weapon extensively, not so much the dlc stuff. Though,I did most of my last play through with the Logarious Wheel, so I'm feeling something fast. Thinking Rifle Spear(or Hunter siaf) --> Rieterpallsch(since I've barely ever touched that). I also want to think about one of the DLC weapons, but again can't really decide. Spoiled for choices :/

Side note, everyone always criticizes BB for so few weapons, but they're all radically different from eachother. I'd say more variety than normal souls games tbh. Any weapons people really want to return in the sequel? I'd be okay with Chikage coming back, but really I just want more Cainhurst/blood weapons.

I guess? I mean, it's subjective. For you, it's a pain. For me, it's not an issue.

As to farming for leveling, if you've already lit the Oedon lamp, why not move past that and light the one after that
(Cathedral Ward)
and use that as a base to explore? The enemies you'll encounter in that general vicinity especially if, from that lamp, you venture to the left and push on towards another lamp
(Old Yharnam)
, you'll not encounter many enemies that are unfamiliar and ought to pull way more echoes. The loop you mentioned is good for farming QS and Blood Vials early on, but you can always come back to that run if you're getting really low, and instead move onto the next area past Oedon Chapel to level faster.

What kind of weapon and build are you favoring at the moment? Tbh I mained the Cane for the entire game including most of the dlc, but I'm starting to play around with some other weapons.

jonjonaug

If you have a bunch of blood echos from your farming, why not just buy a bunch of Bold Hunters Marks? They put you back at the last lamp, not at the HD.

Side note, everyone always criticizes BB for so few weapons, but they're all radically different from eachother. I'd say more variety than normal souls games tbh. Any weapons people really want to return in the sequel? I'd be okay with Chikage coming back, but really I just want more Cainhurst/blood weapons.

I just started to get comfortable with the Bowblade and really like how its two forms are so radically different and call for totally different play styles. I also like how the bow uses QS as it makes usage more strategic, yet really synergizes well with runes like Oedon Writhe.

If you have a bunch of blood echos from your farming, why not just buy a bunch of Bold Hunters Marks? They put you back at the last lamp, not at the HD.

This is also great advice. The BHM I feel was specifically introduced with echo farming in mind. Such a time saver.

Skii

Without spoiling anything, are there any good strength weapons in the DLC? I've made a new character for the DLC and it's a strength build. I'll probably stick with Ludwig's Holy Blade but need to know my options :p

Without spoiling anything, are there any good strength weapons in the DLC? I've made a new character for the DLC and it's a strength build. I'll probably stick with Ludwig's Holy Blade but need to know my options :p

A resounding yes. Whether to you like to club things, slice things, or grind them to bits. The Old Hunters DLC has you covered if strength weapons are what you're after.

Edit: Didn't know if you wanted me to specifically name the weapons :\

FlowersisBritish

A resounding yes. Whether to you like to club things, slice things, or grind them to bits. The Old Hunters DLC has you covered if strength weapons are what you're after.

Also going to throw out there, hate that the Chikage is a dex weapon? Wished you had a dumb blood weapon for your strength guy to smash with? Don't worry, DLC's got it.

Vorheez

Oh, great idea!! I'll try that tonight.

What kind of weapon and build are you favoring at the moment? Tbh I mained the Cane for the entire game including most of the dlc, but I'm starting to play around with some other weapons.

Well, I was actually farming for the stat requirements and echoes required to use the Holy Blade, which I finally acquired last night. I've beaten the game twice and never used the Holy Blade before so I wanted to try it. But I haven't played the DLC yet! I'm excited to get there and see what those weapons are like.

Skii

Also going to throw out there, hate that the Chikage is a dex weapon? Wished you had a dumb blood weapon for your strength guy to smash with? Don't worry, DLC's got it.

Cheers guys :D

When should I start the DLC? I'd like to do it a fair bit before end game so I can use these strength weapons you're talking up!

Oh, great idea!! I'll try that tonight.

Well, I was actually farming for the stat requirements and echoes required to use the Holy Blade, which I finally acquired last night. I've beaten the game twice and never used the Holy Blade before so I wanted to try it. But I haven't played the DLC yet! I'm excited to get there and see what those weapons are like.

Oh alright then! Are you running with Moon Runes equipped as well? Also have you gone through much of the chalice dungeons? Fire up the Isz Chalice (you got it from Ebrietas) and get down to Layer 3 and that whole first section right after the lamp is the spot for echoes in BB. With all 3 Moon runes equipped you can pull 250k in about 5 minutes. Even with no Moon runes you'll still pull 100k; as an added bonus it's chock full of Celestial Children which means QS drops for days and days.

FlowersisBritish

When should I start the DLC? I'd like to do it a fair bit before end game so I can use these strength weapons you're talking up!

two of the strength weapons can be acquired as soon as you enter the dlc area, but you've got to run for them, because the normal enemies there are tough. So you might not want to ruin yourself like that. Personally, I'd say the best time to do teh dlc is after you cause
The blood moon
but really you just want a plus 7 weapon or above.

The DLC is pretty brutal. If this is your first playthrough I'd say maybe 75 or 80? Even way higher is just fine because a number of those enemies hit hard. I'd say go on and play through the main game, a few chalice dungeons even, and then tackle the DLC before you fight the final main game boss. That's just my .02 however.

Skii

two of the strength weapons can be acquired as soon as you enter the dlc area, but you've got to run for them, because the normal enemies there are tough. So you might not want to ruin yourself like that. Personally, I'd say the best time to do teh dlc is after you cause
The blood moon
but really you just want a plus 7 weapon or above.

Good to know they're accessible from the beginning. What triggers the DLC to be open? I genuinely have no idea. Is it like Dark Souls where I have to find some obscure item attached to an obscure enemy or can I find it without outside help?

The DLC is pretty brutal. If this is your first playthrough I'd say maybe 75 or 80? Even way higher is just fine because a number of those enemies hit hard. I'd say go on and play through the main game, a few chalice dungeons even, and then tackle the DLC before you fight the final main game boss. That's just my .02 however.

This is my second playthrough of Bloodborne and I've completed all the other Souls games (except DS3 which I'm playing side by side with BB lol). I used Saw Spear on my last playthrough. Do I still need to level up that much or can I cope?

FlowersisBritish

Good to know they're accessible from the beginning. What triggers the DLC to be open? I genuinely have no idea. Is it like Dark Souls where I have to find some obscure item attached to an obscure enemy or can I find it without outside help?

Kill
Vicar Amelia
and then trigger the night moon. Once there, return to the hunters dream and it should be on the steps like the starting items. Then go visit your good old friend
the amygdala guarding the corpse of his dear friend tophat guy

Once you beat
Vicar Amelia
the item you need will appear in the Hunter's Dream. If you have it, or think you have it, go to
Cathedral Ward and get yourself scooped up in the graveyard right outside.
. That'll put you where you need to be

This is my second playthrough of Bloodborne and I've completed all the other Souls games (except DS3 which I'm playing side by side with BB lol). I used Saw Spear on my last playthrough. Do I still need to level up that much or can I cope?

Hard to say. I'm decent at Souls games but still feel the need to get as OP as I can because... I can. I'm nearly finished with the DLC and I'm also on NG+ as well and some of those bosses hit hard. Like, absurdly so. As I mentioned in a post above, use the Isz Chalice and get to Layer 3-- the first two layers' bosses are pushovers-- and then just farm that initial section for tons of echoes to level up quicker. I'm currently pushing BL 257. You obviously don't need to get that extreme, but a higher level will serve you well in the DLC in NG+. I'd say maybe 150 or so, but I'm pulling that number out of my ass.

rtcn63

I beat practically all of NG and half of NG+ using the Holy Blade. I even prefer it to most of the strength DLC weapons, at least as an all-rounder.

I started a new character after so many months, took out
Father G and Amelia
on my first try (somehow), but kept getting wrecked by the
BSB
. Kept choking on his last phase (and that damn poison grab attack). I eventually said fuck it, and suicide ran for one of the DLC weapons to replace my +3 Saw Cleaver. I wanted to use different weapons this go around.

AlexBasch

Okay, I'm starting to hate the game a little.

I'm in the
church filled with spiders
and I'm honestly not having fun with being two shotted by those damn things.

I know, dodge, roll, etc, I have played and beaten Souls games, I've got like 31-32 VIT and well, armor, but can't stop dying or losing more than 60% of my health in one hit. I barely use the damn blood vials because it's just pointless.

Also, fuck that frenzy stat, why not name it poison and be done with it. Shit.

myco666

I've heard the exact opposite from the wikis and walkthroughs I've read. They all advise against wasting echoes on vials and bullets, and they recommend farming in the location I'm currently at. I understand why, because it's working well and I've accumulated plenty of those items, but the extra time it takes to do it is annoying because of poor design decisions (nothing else) and is why I made my initial comment. I'm not complaining about "wasting my time" doing the farming, I'm complaining about having to dick around in hunters dream and 1 extra loading screen every 5 minutes after I complete each run.

That is a pretty bad advice if they suggest you to farm those. Much better to just buy them since you don't really need those Echoes for anything else. But yeah they botched the farming in this game by not being able to reset the world quickly but as I said it is pretty much a non issue since there is barely any need to farm in the game.

Okay, I'm starting to hate the game a little.

I'm in the
church filled with spiders
and I'm honestly not having fun with being two shotted by those damn things.

I know, dodge, roll, etc, I have played and beaten Souls games, I've got like 31-32 VIT and well, armor, but can't stop dying or losing more than 60% of my health in one hit. I barely use the damn blood vials because it's just pointless.

Also, fuck that frenzy stat, why not name it poison and be done with it. Shit.

You can run past them, get Shaman Bone Blade and hit the big one with it. That turns them against each other and you can just relax and watch them kill each other. You could also just aggro them and go back through the door since the big one can't come there and the little ones are much easier to deal with.
Frenzy sure sucks but just make sure you have 100% health and just use Vials everytime it hits you.

Cracklox

Alrite dudes and dudettes. I beat the main game at launch, loved it, and a month or 2 ago picked up the dlc with the intention of that holding me over to ds3.

Something happened after unlocking a few shortcuts and getting to the 2nd lamppost though, and I lost interest. I think it more had to do with the fact I had come off playing a shed load of HC diablo 3, and couldn't get in the right mindset of learning from my own suckiness. Also the main path forward (I think) was blocked by a total dick of a hunter, who u had to fight in a dark area, and it was hard to get a read on what he was doing and I just cbf. Anyway.....

I recently beat ds3 and have spent a tonne of time playing that since launch, and thought its as good a time as any to dive back into the BB dlc this weekend. I'll def make it work this time either way too. Bloodborne inspired me to play ds3 shieldless, so I don't think I'll have any issues getting into the right state of mind this time

A few questions if I may.

- Did I see something about eye lasers as a weapon? Or am I making that up? I didn't think anything would replace my BoM but freakin eye lasers man.

- I got into that hall not far from the start that the other hunters
got destroyed by the fatty at
thinking, here we go, boss no 1. Instead I picked up an item up at the end (thinking that would trigger an encounter) and managed to ignore whatever the fuck it was and now I can't find it in my inventory. Something tells me it was probably something pretty important with how it was placed in that hall. What did I pick up? and is or something I need to use in that location to trigger an encounter?

- without getting too spoilery should I have hit a boss by now? I've got the second lamppost and opened the shortcut on the right at the 1st lamp, but can't shake the feeling I'm missing something (which is possibly covered by the question above)

- I'm doing the dlc in Ng+, about level 120. Pretty tough so far. Given my rustiness and the fact it's been along time since playing, am I better off starting another play through (which I've put off doing a bunch of times, but def prepared to) and just knocking off the dlc as I go through new game?

Cheers folks. Any help and/or advice is appreciated

Alrite dudes and dudettes. I beat the main game at launch, loved it, and a month or 2 ago picked up the dlc with the intention of that holding me over to ds3.

Something happened after unlocking a few shortcuts and getting to the 2nd lamppost though, and I lost interest. I think it more had to do with the fact I had come off playing a shed load of HC diablo 3, and couldn't get in the right mindset of learning from my own suckiness. Also the main path forward (I think) was blocked by a total dick of a hunter, who u had to fight in a dark area, and it was hard to get a read on what he was doing and I just cbf. Anyway.....

I recently beat ds3 and have spent a tonne of time playing that since launch, and thought its as good a time as any to dive back into the BB dlc this weekend. I'll def make it work this time either way too. Bloodborne inspired me to play ds3 shieldless, so I don't think I'll have any issues getting into the right state of mind this time

- Did I see something about eye lasers as a weapon? Or am I making that up? I didn't think anything would replace my BoM but freakin eye lasers man.

thinking, here we go, boss no 1. Instead I picked up an item up at the end (thinking that would trigger an encounter) and managed to ignore whatever the fuck it was and now I can't find it in my inventory. Something tells me it was probably something pretty important with how it was placed in that hall. What did I pick up? and is or something I need to use in that location to trigger an encounter?

- without getting too spoilery should I have hit a boss by now? I've got the second lamppost and opened the shortcut on the right at the 1st lamp, but can't shake the feeling I'm missing something (which is possibly covered by the question above)

- I'm doing the dlc in Ng+, about level 120. Pretty tough so far. Given my rustiness and the fact it's been along time since playing, am I better off starting another play through (which I've put off doing a bunch of times, but def prepared to) and just knocking off the dlc as I go through new game?

There is an arcane spell called Blacksky Eye that shoots mini comets. That's probably the "eye laser" you heard about.

I don't remember what the item was called (I think eye pendant or something), but it is used to progress to the area after the first boss.

If you're at the second lantern, you are very very close to a boss. Sounds like you should explore a bit more. That hunter in the dark cave, if I'm thinking about the right place, is not where the main path is. There is some good stuff in there though.

I think you should be fine at that level in NG+. Definitely try the boss first at least. If you can beat it, you should be good to go for the rest of the DLC.

myco666

Goddamnit lurking this thread is starting to bring back my addiction. Is the online still lively or has everyone migrated to Dark Souls 3?

Orcastar

I started a new Bloodborne playthrough after finishing Dark Souls 3 but I'm having trouble deciding what kind of build to go for. On my first playthrough I went for a strength build with Ludwig's holy blade, so I figured I should try changing it up and focus on skill this time around. So far I've been using the threaded cane, but I don't know if I wanna keep using it all the way through. I've been looking at the different skill-based weapons but it seems that most of them also scale with either bloodtinge or arcane, so should I go for skill/bloodtinge or skill/arcane instead of focusing exclusively on skill?

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I want to buy Bloodborne after finishing DS3 but because I have already spent so much money this month I was planning on buying the DLC at a later time.

The locations of the DLC are all end game right? Are the weapons and gear etc. only available in those DLC areas?
So what I'm wondering is, if I buy the DLC after I finish the main game, is there any content from the DLC that I would be missing out on in the main part of the game?

myco666

I started a new Bloodborne playthrough after finishing Dark Souls 3 but I'm having trouble deciding what kind of build to go for. On my first playthrough I went for a strength build with Ludwig's holy blade, so I figured I should try changing it up and focus on skill this time around. So far I've been using the threaded cane, but I don't know if I wanna keep using it all the way through. I've been looking at the different skill-based weapons but it seems that most of them also scale with either bloodtinge or arcane, so should I go for skill/bloodtinge or skill/arcane instead of focusing exclusively on skill?

Depends on what weapon are you looking at exactly. You should pretty much always focus on Skill only with those weapons and get it at 50 and after that boost the other stats. BoM and BB get good boost from Arcane so with those Skill/Arc build is good. Reiterpallasch and Rifle Spear scale with BT but those are only for the shots so the BT scaling is pretty useless with those. Bowblade is most beneficial Skill/BT weapon if you get it to 40/30 or 40/40 even. The bow form is a beast against a lot of bosses.

I want to buy Bloodborne after finishing DS3 but because I have already spent so much money this month I was planning on buying the DLC at a later time.

The locations of the DLC are all end game right? Are the weapons and gear etc. only available in those DLC areas?
So what I'm wondering is, if I buy the DLC after I finish the main game, is there any content from the DLC that I would be missing out on in the main part of the game?

-You get access to the DLC really early but it is balanced around late game builds.
-Yes you get those weapons only from the DLC area.
-Once you beat the last boss the game throws you automatically to NG+ so it is highly adviced not to finish the game before playing the DLC. Also you miss out on some dialog if you progress too far in the main game. But nothing major that you would be missing out on if you buy the DLC when you are at the final boss.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
-You get access to the DLC really early but it is balanced around late game builds.
-Yes you get those weapons only from the DLC area.
-Once you beat the last boss the game throws you automatically to NG+ so it is highly adviced not to finish the game before playing the DLC. Also you miss out on some dialog if you progress too far in the main game. But nothing major that you would be missing out on if you buy the DLC when you are at the final boss.

Great thanks, I'll make sure not to beat the final boss then

teiresias

Geez, Logarius in NG+ was such a douche. Constantly spamming his spells much more than I remember him ever doing my first time through.

Just finished my playthrough.

Got the ending in which
I fought the moon presence and became a slug. Wut.

Watching lore videos on this series is awesome, but, man, no way I could piece all the stuff that's happening together on my own.

And then a buddy of mine told me I should have bought the DLC before I beat it.. Whoops.

Still, from a design perspective I think this is one of the best games I've played. Guess I'll have to go give the Dark Souls series a real shot.

Just finished my playthrough.

Got the ending in which
I fought the moon presence and became a slug. Wut.

Watching lore videos on this series is awesome, but, man, no way I could piece all the stuff that's happening together on my own.

And then a buddy of mine told me I should have bought the DLC before I beat it.. Whoops.

Haha like I've mentioned before, I feel like since I've read a lot of
weird fiction
, I felt right at home with the whole
cosmic horror
angle, and because of that there will inevitably be parts that are obtuse or inscrutable. Don't feel bad :)

So are you planning on going through a NG+ run to check out the DLC, or did you manage to sequester you save file pre-boss that you can just load up and go from there?

Goddamnit lurking this thread is starting to bring back my addiction.

Coming back to it for the DLC after an 8 month break after platting the main game, every extra hour sunk into BB just reaffirms to me what a great fucking game it is. I only have one more boss and weapon to get before regaining my 100% completion on it, but I think I'll still stick around and play long after that, finally getting into some co-op assistance for other players. Really looking forward to that, actually.

- "eye lasers" could maybe refer to A Call From Beyond, which is a straight up laser light show, or more likely the Blacksky Eye tool from the DLC which shoots straight from the player's eye, but it a small meteor, though I can see people thinking it was a laser given how fast it moves.

- The item you pick up there is the Eye Pendant. It's a
key
. You need it to advance.

- You're getting much closer-- particularly if you've opened up that second lamp and shortcut. You'll know you're about to have an encounter when you come upon an obvious arena-sized area.

- It really depends on your skill, build, etc... but I've seen people walk through the DLC at that level in NG+ with very little issue. I was double that when I started the DLC (also NG+) and got properly wrecked just because I was rusty and those enemies hit really, really hard imo. Same advice as I've given multiple times already, but if you need a quick level up, fire up the Isz Chalice and get to layer 3 (not difficult) and just farm that initial area for a massive amount of echoes in roughly 5 minutes per run (100k-250k depending on how many Moon runes equipped) and boost your level.

AlexBasch

Finished the game last night
or rather, got the regular ending, played the entire game blind so I didn't know about the different endings.
and decided to go through NG+ right away for the hell of it.

Definitely, one of the best things about the Souls series is realizing how much you've progressed and adapted to the game mechanics.

Father Gascoigne gave me hell on my first playthrough, but this time, I think I did better.

Ate a lot of bullets and attacks though.

https://youtu.be/UgIPD7Sd_iw

Now I'm gonna a explore those Chalice dungeons things!

Father Gascoigne gave me hell on my first playthrough, but this time, I think I did better.

Ate a lot of bullets and attacks though.

https://youtu.be/UgIPD7Sd_iw

Now I'm gonna a explore those Chalice dungeons things!

Damn son. That immediate gun parry was super satisfying just watching it. Nicely done!

edit: Also, surprised you didn't use the Music Box on Father G. I always had to :\

Chalice Dungeons are a whole new level of fun, imo. They can be utterly merciless-- especially some of them if you're going for the CD-related trophy-- but they offer a great way to explore more lore as well as gain a ton of echoes .

Raptor

Damn son. That immediate gun parry was super satisfying just watching it. Nicely done!

edit: Also, surprised you didn't use the Music Box on Father G. I always had to :\

Chalice Dungeons are a whole new level of fun, imo. They can be utterly merciless-- especially some of them if you're going for the CD-related trophy-- but they offer a great way to explore more lore as well as gain a ton of echoes .

The Defiled ones are just great for practice.

Beating those makes you very disciplined in everything, love it.

Top Bottom