• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

VinFTW

Last optional boss was much easier than OoK, IMO. Managed to kill him in 3 tries on ng+10

Going back to OoK when I get off work now that I actually have time to search for people to help. There's something funky about his hp and damage output compared to the rest at my level, doesn't feel right/fair.

Zocano

Going back to OoK when I get off work now that I actually have time to search for people to help. There's something funky about his hp and damage output compared to the rest at my level, doesn't feel right/fair.

I think it's mostly just his 2nd phase has so so so so very few windows to attack him unless you get lucky and he loops the same attack over and over. You spend most of your time in that phase either running or just dodging constantly.

Although I agree his hp does feel a *bit* fat.

First boss *really* has that problem, though.

nOoblet16

Getting back to this game and going against hunters/invaders and I realise why I hate the lock on system in this game. A large part of combating agile enemies/players is using the guns, and you can't use it at all if you haven't locked on.

The problem I have with the lock on mechanic is that it's too lose, you can lose the lock on instantly just because there is some object in between or because of some other unseen reason...perhaps the enemy was too far away from the centre of the screen by the time I click R3 etc etc. It's annoying against fast enemies because you lose the lock on a lot when you are fighting them due to constant movement from both you and your enemy.

Zocano

Getting back to this game and going against hunters/invaders and I realise why I hate the lock on system in this game. A large part of combating agile enemies/players is using the guns, and you can't use it at all if you haven't locked on.

The problem I have with the lock on mechanic is that it's too lose, you can lose the lock on instantly just because there is some object in between or because of some other unseen reason...perhaps the enemy was too far away from the centre of the screen by the time I click R3 etc etc. It's annoying against fast enemies because you lose the lock on a lot when you are fighting them due to constant movement from both you and your enemy.

And things get stupid fucked when you and your target are really close together and the target moves into your camera before you dodge and you just go in some random ass direction. Happens to often on a lot of bosses. And like you said, it's not as beneficial to play free aim in this game because of the gun (and the dash has more i-frames I believe?). I would pretty much play demons souls without ever locking on now and I feel way more restricted and forced to do so in Bloodborne.

I just finished the DLC and was wondering...
that guy in the Research Hall who says he's looking for his eyes, he thinks it fell in a puddle...can the player help him?...there are also other NPC's in that level who say they can't hear etc...is this part of a quest?

You can help him
to eternal rest.

How many of you guys are up for co-op? Would love to try some co-op later tonight with some fellow gaffers.

Tried ringing the bell a couple of hours ago on my own but sadly couldn't find anyone.(it doesn't help that I've never done co-op in any Souls game before so I had no idea if I was doing anything wrong).

Splish, splash, splish, splash....

I'm currently here as well. Best area EVER.

How many of you guys are up for co-op? Would love to try some co-op later tonight with some fellow gaffers.

Tried ringing the bell a couple of hours ago on my own but sadly couldn't find anyone.(it doesn't help that I've never done co-op in any Souls game before so I had no idea if I was doing anything wrong).

I am up for coop

Those blob headed things in the research hall, especially
Adeline
, remind me so much of the Winter Lanterns from the main game. Perhaps thats what the church was trying to turn them into? Or maybe they do look like that beneath the sack.

Also why is that the
Living Failures
are still able to channel energy from the cosmos even though theyre imperfect? Is it because they are closer to the cosmos? Or is it the lumenwood flowers granting them strength?

One of the coolest things in the Fishing Hamlet is what you can see beneath the water at the very beginning of the area. Its so amazing what this game is able to get across through subtle details like that, and ties back perfectly to item descriptions found in the main game. "Great volumes of water serve as a bulwark guarding sleep, and an augur of the eldritch Truth."

Grant us eyes indeed.

Ferr986

Those blob headed things in the research hall, especially
Adeline
, remind me so much of the Winter Lanterns from the main game. Perhaps thats what the church was trying to turn them into? Or maybe they do look like that beneath the sack.

Aren't the Winter Lanterns head a bloat of messengers?
I always assumed the Lanterns were some kind of nightmareish entity for the hunters, considering they are only present inside Nightmares and features both the doll and messenger (the only two that helps a hunter).

Dunno about the blob heads on the DLC. I mean, Micolash always keep refering to placing "eyes" on brains so I assume the Curch focus their experiments on the heads of the hosts. Amygdalas too have a friggin weird big head (with eyes popping out when shooting lasers).

I have to take a look to that area because never noticed what's below the water. I noticed that (final arena spoiler)
Kos dead body has a female human face. Yikes!

Honestly, the DLC only made the lore more confusing to me. Like, I have even more questions than before playing it lol

Honestly I prefer the first phase song since it has a very eerie creepy feel to it. Which is what I associate with Bloodborne, the dreaded atmosphere. Not bad but I gotta admit most of Bloodbornes music didnt phase me much outside Father Glascione, Gehrman and the hub.

I gotta say that the last bosses took me by surprise. They are cruelly difficult or tedious. I just need to step up my footsies and use weapons with longer reach. Is anyone a bit disapointed by the new weapons strength? Ludwigs Holy Blade is still the king. Maybe it has to do with me getting the rarest gems but there is no other weapon that can stack up 615 plus in damage in gems. It is a bit disapointing since it makes you rely on it for very difficult boss encounters if you dont wanrt to just do chip damage.

Out of everything I have tried (still missing one weapon) I gotta say that
Amygdala
weapon is a bit interesting. Its first form is hard hitting like how a second form would be. While the second form is a whip that hits well around if you are surrounded by enemies. Only bad thing is that it wears out pretty fast.

TP-DK

Question about one of the dlc weapons:
Is the bowblade missable? I have defeated all 5 bosses but I cant find the npc anywhere.

Mandelbo

I'm up for co-op, but I'll be busy in about two hours. Later on I should be available, though.

Just completed the DLC on NG and oh boy what a wild ride that was...
I was pretty skeptical at first about the content of the expansion, but man I am so happy with the way it turned out.

Highlights of the game is definitely the bosses and freaking Astral Tower had the best atmosphere yet. Just like Demon Souls, just like the beginning of Bloodborne, but soo much better!

Though I kinda expected it to have one more area and boss, or something extra to do after completing the DLC.. seems like nothing so far.
Any new endings yo?

Can't wait to get my other characters up there, might remake a few since the DLC in NG+ is probably too much for me right now...

As a fun side story:
My victory against OoK was a fluke, I wasn't even expecting to beat it on that attempt.
Had to completely rely on visual ques due to nephew using my headset as he watched me practice.
The run was pretty lucky and eventually I managed to beat it!

TP-DK

Next to the lighthouse lamp, he's on the ground and difficult to see. Talk to him

Holy shit if I missed that with all the times I was respawning there because of the boss. Gonna take a look later when I'm playing, thanks for the heads up.

This dlc is amazing, I can't wait to make a strength based build and use some of the other weapons. Though I really dig the skill based weapons.

As a fun side story:
My victory against OoK was a fluke, I wasn't even expecting to beat it on that attempt.
Had to completely rely on visual ques due to nephew using my headset as he watched me practice.
The run was pretty lucky and eventually I managed to beat it!

Same here,
I just non chalantly walked in while exploring and had just 11 vials, i ended up using A's blood and isofka's blood during the fight and boy was that tense. Easily the most stressful fight of the DLC

VinFTW

Also, I want to say that this dlc has undoubtedly pushed bloodborne into my goty spot over witcher 3 and RotTR. Of course, I still have a few games to play, but it's still such a fantastic experience idk if fallout or anything else can really best it.

This is From at its best and makes me STUPIDLY hyped for Dark Souls 3. Almost like a kid again.

Mandelbo

I'm around level 100 at NG endgame (decided to play around in chalice dungeons, hence the level).

What would be a better option for me:
- Play the DLC at that level
- Finish the game and rush through NG+ to the point where you reach the DLC starting area

Play the DLC at that level in NG. You shouldn't be overpowered for the content, and you'll just make it needlessly more difficult by doing it in NG+.

myco666

I'm around level 100 at NG endgame (decided to play around in chalice dungeons, hence the level).

What would be a better option for me:
- Play the DLC at that level
- Finish the game and rush through NG+ to the point where you reach the DLC starting area

I would say go to first boss on NG. If it feels way too easy jump into NG+. I was around 100-120 when I entered the DLC on NG and I breezed through the whole DLC up to the last boss in few hours.

I just killed Henryk before Eileen had a chance to get to the battle and now she's gone.

Maybe I embarrassed her too much.

Edit: Reawakening at the lantern spawned her.

valkyre

Does Insight affect difficulty? What is the consensus anyway? I know that some things change (like seeing things that werent there etc) but does the difficulty change?

I am at 99 insight for so long I dont even care anymore as far as gameplay, just asking out of curiosity.

So now my NG char has done all the DLC stuff I got my main into it on NG+++, lvl 143 and I will either solo everything or not bother lol. Not in a rush to see rest of the content now so no need. Plus my pride needs to make up for summoning on
Ludwig, OoK and laurence

Had a few goes at
ludwig
and I know I can do this. It's just that in phase 1 he has at least 2 moves that can one hit kill you from full HP so if I fuck up the timing even a tiny amount I'm dead lol.

On one attempt I got him to phase 2. Yes I thought, he is mine now. Dodge dodge hit repeat.... Doing good. 10% hp left... Almost there.... No... No don't back up to the wall. Fuck, all I can see is brown red and limbs. Nooooooooo........

You died.

Sigh.

It's the best. I will get him. My trust kirkhammer will murder this fucker.... One day.

Does Insight affect difficulty? What is the consensus anyway? I know that some things change (like seeing things that werent there etc) but does the difficulty change?

I am at 99 insight for so long I dont even care anymore as far as gameplay, just asking out of curiosity.

It does not.

Insight causes some changes in the overworld and gives some enemies in the Cathedral Ward some buffs. At 15 or higher Insight, the lantern wielding enemies have an arcane attack and the scythe/cross wielding enemies have an arcane buff on the weapon.

Overall difficulty is not influenced in any way.

It also reduces your resistance to Frenzy.

zma1013

It gives some enemies new moves or abilities and decreases your resistance to frenzy, so yes it can make the game harder in those respects but I'm not sure what the actual numerical lines those things activate at.

Man, I still can't get past the 1st area. The DLC is just way too intense on NG+. And this is coming from someone who beat the Dark Souls DLC on NG+ with little problem!

Should I just say fuck it and start a new character all over again? I feel grinding isn't really getting me anywhere.

Tingle

Man, I still can't get past the 1st area. The DLC is just way too intense on NG+. And this is coming from someone who beat the Dark Souls DLC on NG+ with little problem!

Should I just say fuck it and start a new character all over again? I feel grinding isn't really getting me anywhere.

What level are you?

That pizza cutter yo, I just did 7k damage on cleric beast in NG+

What's the consensus on this weapon? A lot of videos I've seen have the player popping beast pellets and stuff, so it's hard to gauge how much damage its actually capable of.

Is this thing really the beast-boss eater at just normal +9?

I started a new character and I'm looking for a good point to jump in to the DLC. Does it become unavailable at some point (like after killing
Rom
or
Micolash
) or can I wait all the way to the point of no return (
Gehrman
fight) before starting the DLC?

I started a new character and I'm looking for a good point to jump in to the DLC. Does it become unavailable at some point (like after killing
Rom
or
Micolash
) or can I wait all the way to the point of no return (
Gehrman
fight) before starting the DLC?

It's available after Amelia. You can go to it any time.

silva1991

I hate
living failures
so much. they are not hard, but annoying. there is nothing fun about fighting
5 bosses
at the same time.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm killing myself trying to kill the big guy at the bottom
of the well in the fishing hamlet
. Should I just proceed or is it worth killing him because he's kicking my ass hard on NG+3. If it's worth killing please spoiler tag why/what he drops.

myco666

. Should I just proceed or is it worth killing him because he's kicking my ass hard on NG+3. If it's worth killing please spoiler tag why/what he drops.

He doesn't drop anything. The second one that comes after you damaged enough the first one drops a Skill weapon.

silva1991

You will get the best
katana
in the game.

Jobbs

Banned
I entered the DLC for the first time. Exited the building, took a right, went up the hill. Saw a hunter. Got destroyed.

Is level 72 too low to be doing this?

What level are you?
That would be my question as well. I'm 150~ish on NG+ and had no problem getting through the first area with a Hunter Axe +9.

Actually reading through few posts here, it seems like I'm a little OP since many people say that L
udwig
can one hit them with full HP while in my case that never happened. Even after his worse attacks I would still have around 1/5 of my HP left.

Arjen

What's the consensus on this weapon? A lot of videos I've seen have the player popping beast pellets and stuff, so it's hard to gauge how much damage its actually capable of.

Is this thing really the beast-boss eater at just normal +9?

I don't use beast pellets. The L2 is just insane, you can hold it for non stop damage. Running R2 is also really fast and does a lot of damage.

Top Bottom