• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Ferr986

Been farming blood gems in the chalices this evening. Which would be better for MLHB: nourishing gems to up both phys and arcane or focusing on the +27.2% phys gems?

I've been using 2 nourishing gems so far. Switched out one for a +27.2%, but I was kind of sad to see my arcane damage drop so much :p

Nourishing for the best overall damage. Pure physical will give you better R1 damage but way lower L2 and R2 damage, and the gains you get from R1 are not worth the difference , considering atleast IMO that the best part about the weapon are the L2 and two hit R2 attacks.

sheaaaa

Wow 27.2% physical damage? I need to dive into Chalice Dungeons again. If I haven't been in one since I did what was necessary for the Platinum, what are the best methods to get the best gems? I'm on NG+.

Impulsor

Wow 27.2% physical damage? I need to dive into Chalice Dungeons again. If I haven't been in one since I did what was necessary for the Platinum, what are the best methods to get the best gems? I'm on NG+.

Same, as soon as I finish the DLC I'm getting my Plat and running a NG++ with DLC included. aFter farming some gems.

This game is just too good.

Nourishing for the best overall damage. Pure physical will give you better R1 damage but way lower L2 and R2 damage, and the gains you get from R1 are not worth the difference , considering atleast IMO that the best part about the weapon are the L2 and two hit R2 attacks.

L2 is great as well as R2, but most of the time you gonna be hitting with R1 since they are considerably faster strikes, I try to end my combos with L2, but unless I'm fighting enemies like the watchers I can't do a lot of charge R2 attacks.

I'm gonna have to try it, thought, but still leveling ARC.

I'm leveling my new character for the Old Hunters and just got to Nick Cage, WTF is wrong with this guy, i remember fucking him up on first try, now he destroys me, spams this star attack jezz at least 10 tries and he is still not down.

I'm leveling my new character for the Old Hunters and just got to Nick Cage, WTF is wrong with this guy, i remember fucking him up on first try, now he destroys me, spams this star attack jezz at least 10 tries and he is still not down.

Keep close to him, don't let him get distance on his second phase. So try not to attack until you run out of stamina, so you can always stay on the move and keep the combat in close quarters.

Take care with his tentacle thingy attack, it can parry now.

Ferr986

L2 is great as well as R2, but most of the time you gonna be hitting with R1 since they are considerably faster strikes, I try to end my combos with L2, but unless I'm fighting enemies like the watchers I can't do a lot of charge R2 attacks.

I'm gonna have to try it, thought, but still leveling ARC.

Yes I agree (thats why I think this weapon requires to level up both STR and atleast SKL to 25 too. )

But what I meant is that, what you lose on physical damage going from full physical gems to nourishing gems is small, especially compared to the lost ARC damage on L2 and R2s froim going to nourishing to physical gems.

That being said, nourishing is for the best overall damage of the weapon (so I include all of transformed attacks). If you want to get the most out of your R1s then physical is the way to go.

I think Fishing Hamlet is easily one of my favourite levels in the whole series.

so * good
I love it, it was definately my favourite area in the DLC and gives me hope for the variety of areas in DS3 (as if there was ever any doubt!)

I think the regular enemies are too easy, it's the last area and they go down in a couple of hits.

Just finished with the
Maria
boss fight. Does anyone know the music that plays during it because holy hell it is amazing. Easily my favorite fight not just in Bloodborne but quite possibly the entire BloodSouls series in general. Too damn good.

HORRORSHØW

what's the point of lost/uncanny weapons when p much all the gems do the same stuff?
usually the normal weapons are fine but there a few outliers where the uncanny/lost variations will outperform their normal counterparts because of the gem imprints.

the lost chikage and the lost bowblade will make better use of the circular gem imprint for better blood damage; the lost moonlight sword will make use of the waning slot for nourishing gems (i still prefer physical); the uncanny saif will give you a triangle slot over the normal version's waning slot for a better physical build.

this is all min/max nerd shit, tho.

Ferr986

what's the point of lost/uncanny weapons when p much all the gems do the same stuff?

Uncanny and Lost versions have different slots. Depending on your build, an uncanny or lost weapon can be better.

For example, the Lost Chikage has a Circle slot. Bloodtinge gems are cicle and go up to 31.5% (compared to 27% physical gems). So for a Bloodtinge build dedicated to the Blood mode Chikage, the lost version of the weapon is the best.

EDIT: what Grimlok said.

GeeTeeCee

I somehow managed to miss the first lamp in the
Research Labs
. There I was, several floors up, sitting on 100k blood echoes, struggling to fight off hunters and assorted freaks. I finally decide to cut my losses and run back to
Ludwig's
lamp when I spy a closer lamp in plain view next to the lift. I felt like a huge idiot for skipping over it.

This continues my impressive streak of failing to spot obvious bonfires in DS2. Remember the "hidden" bonfire in Black Gulch? That was the only one I used, because I failed to find the first one in the area until after I beat the boss...

Finalow

didn't notice before how
Ludwig
has additional dialogues if you use the Church set.

answer "no", and feel bad about it. :'(

Doomsayer

Well, after about 40+ tries of OoK I have finally taken him down.

I got him down to about |-| of health, then he went full rage mode on me, and I died. I almost gave up, but said you know what, one more time tonight. I only used 6 vials on the next fight, he was absolutely destroyed. Man, that felt good.

I think I had a harder time with OoK then I had with
Laurence
. Amazing DLC to go with an amazing game.

edit: Forgot to mention, it was NG4, haha.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Finished the expansion today; thought it was fantastic on the whole, no real major complaints other than wishing there was more of it.

Started a new toon for the playthrough, which turned out to be good idea as I really feel that dex/bt builds got a big boost from the new tools/weapons.

None of the bosses I found were overly problematic,
Maria
funnily enough killed me the most, closely followed by
OoK
, mainly because those took the longest to get their patterns down.

Most surprisingly easy was
Laurence
, which is really susceptible in his second form to sniping down with Simon's Bowblade (awesome weapon) as he's not the most mobile of threats.To be fair I was pretty overleveled by that point, but I really didn't expect to win on my second try.

watdaeff4

Finally got my new character up to a point to give the DLC a shot.

Damn this is pretty hard. IMO, much more difficult than the base game all ways around.
Ludwig
messed me up the first few times I played him.

Finally caved and decided to co-op and thanks to "Confederate Jane" was able to beat him.

Very good DLC and already feel satisfied. So much more to play the way it seems.

I got to 100% completion on the trophies for the expansion, to keep my 100% of the game looking nice and shiny. It was great. I might start another character and do it all again instead of going NG+++ though.

Before I do that I'm going to run a few more chalice dungeons for the fun of it and finish the NG++ play through by beating down Gehrman and the Moon Presence again.

Speaking of the expansion bosses,
Maria
was the hardest for me. I'm assuming it's because of my build.
Laurence
was actually pretty easy for me. I tried it co-op, everyone died right away and I beat it by myself anyways.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member

There are a couple community resources with lists of chalice dungeons and their spoils. Here's the one I was using: https://goo.gl/3Yyokg I would highly suggest creating a cloud save state (or copying to a usb if you don't have PS+) before the boss fight/item chests so you can reset for the gems you want. It took me about 15 or so tries to get a good one.

addyb

They carry over of course.

Thanks. Sorry it sounded stupid. I just wanted to make sure lol. I had a 7 month break from the game and came back for the dlc. I was at rom before I stopped playing last time so I've now got upto end game and then completed the dlc. I just need a few more blood chunks and I'm set :)

RiggyRob

Episode 16, Pimmsy vs. The Hunters of Yahar'gul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=980LfnesiII

Probably put more effort into editing this than any other video, but it needs it when a) there's no background music to the fight and b) the end of round 2 in the video happens.

It's definitely a good idea to take on the hunters one by one, especially if you can sneak up on the one on the stairs like Pimmsy did. I remember what I did was lead them outside until two went back inside so I could murder the other with the Tonitrus. Course you have to make sure everything outside is dead too, which is easier said than done!

Pimmsy tried the trick of glitching OoK with the BoM by the way, but it didn't seem to work. She managed to parry him a few times though, which was better than before.

Derpot

Eh guys, is that normal that the Skill scaling on the Moonlight Sword gives more damage than the Strength and Arcane scaling despite the fact that the Skill scaling is only C ?
Strength and Arcane scaling are B and A, respectively. This is weird.

myco666

Episode 16, Pimmsy vs. The Hunters of Yahar'gul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=980LfnesiII

Probably put more effort into editing this than any other video, but it needs it when a) there's no background music to the fight and b) the end of round 2 in the video happens.

It's definitely a good idea to take on the hunters one by one, especially if you can sneak up on the one on the stairs like Pimmsy did. I remember what I did was lead them outside until two went back inside so I could murder the other with the Tonitrus. Course you have to make sure everything outside is dead too, which is easier said than done!

Pimmsy tried the trick of glitching OoK with the BoM by the way, but it didn't seem to work. She managed to parry him a few times though, which was better than before.

There is actually one pretty decent although cheesy tactic to get them all at once. Aggro all of them and then run into the jail and close the door. Then you can safely take hits while they run against the bars. Good video though!

Uploaded my video against Keeper of the Old Lords in Cursed Ihyll Chalice. Bowblade still being OP against certain bosses.

Eh guys, is that normal that the Skill scaling on the Moonlight Sword gives more damage than the Strength and Arcane scaling despite the fact that the Skill scaling is only C ?
Is your skill stat a lot higher than the other two?

I managed to finish the DLC last week. Laurence provided the toughest challenge. I attempted him over fifty times, as I'd lost most of the insight I gained from my previous playthrough by summoning the League member. Easily the hardest boss in the game for me.

Orphan of Kos probably took me about twenty tries. Ludwig was difficult as well. I just wish I would've been able to upgrade some of the new weapons enough to try them on the new bosses. They just weren't strong enough for NG+ enemies, and I didn't want to go farming for materials.

Overall, I loved what it brought to the game. It feels essential and like it's a part of the main game, but it still has its own unique flare, and doesn't feel like it was ripped from the main game before launch.

Ferr986

After 25 STR, you get more on SKL pre 25, so yeah. That's why you need both STR and SKL to 25, then keep up leveling STR if you want more.

ARC is totally diferent because the S scaling kicks with the L2/R2 IMO, regular R1 doesnt add that much ARC damage.

I actually hate Orphan Of Kos so much. It's the one boss in this game that is actually irritating me.

I've been playing the DLC since day one and just beat OoK for the first time.

It was one of those moments that, after failing hundreds of times in a row, I took a long break and beat it on the first couple of tries.

And, typical of Bloodborne bosses, the fight seems so simple in retrospect.

Here are some tips:

1. Do not play a distance game. The boss tricks you into staying far away because its attacks have so much range. But you should be using these attacks as opportunities to rush it. Its weapon works sort of like a satellite: it orbits around the orphan while it swings it around. During this animation, you are completely safe when you are between the weapon and OoK itself.

2. Bait and take advantage of two attacks in phase one.

Jumping Attack: Most people have figured out that this attack has a lot of ending lag and it leaves the orphan open. What not many people realize is that it has zero tracking whatsoever. Once the orphan jumps, it's going to land in the same spot no matter what. The best way to deal with this is to be locked on the it and run towards it. Before it lands simply start charging an attack and the tracking will turn you around and stab the orphan. Depending on your weapon and timing, you'll get a visceral opening. But if your timing is bad, you'll just unleash a charge attack on its side. Which still does a lot of damage.

The overhead swing: the orphan raises its weapon over its head and slams it straight down. If it hits you, it will be painful. But it comes straight down. Just dodge to the left and get in a bunch of hits with a one-handed weapon.

3. Speaking of dodging to the left, dodge to the left. When you are up close and personal, dish out a couple of hits and dodge left. You will almost always evade its retaliatory attack and can repeat the process.

4. Don't fight the orphan on the beach. Run straight out into the ocean, which isn't an ocean at all. You have a huge, completely open space to fight OoK in, and you benefit hugely from the ability to run away and heal.

5. Phase two is hectic and scary, but its accuracy is extremely poor. It's also very, very easy to bait out its jumping attack. On the ocean, you can run away and trigger its leap, then simply roll to avoid its impact. Just like before unleash as many attacks as you can, dodge left, and repeat.

6. If you have it, the one handed version of the Holy Moonlight Sword has the perfect timing and range to predictably stagger with backstabs on phase one. I didn't do this personally, but check this out: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BtH_N-inqPw

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
wheel? by the way try wheel

1449861973-bloodborne-tm-20151201000603.png

Doomsayer

I've been playing the DLC since day one and just beat OoK for the first time.

It was one of those moments that, after failing hundreds of times in a row, I took a long break and beat it on the first couple of tries.

And, typical of Bloodborne bosses, the fight seems so simple in retrospect.

Here are some tips:

1. Do not play a distance game. The boss tricks you into staying far away because its attacks have so much range. But you should be using these attacks as opportunities to rush it. Its weapon works sort of like a satellite: it orbits around the orphan while it swings it around. During this animation, you are completely safe when you are between the weapon and OoK itself.

2. Bait and take advantage of two attacks in phase one.

Jumping Attack: Most people have figured out that this attack has a lot of ending lag and it leaves the orphan open. What not many people realize is that it has zero tracking whatsoever. Once the orphan jumps, it's going to land in the same spot no matter what. The best way to deal with this is to be locked on the it and run towards it. Before it lands simply start charging an attack and the tracking will turn you around and stab the orphan. Depending on your weapon and timing, you'll get a visceral opening. But if your timing is bad, you'll just unleash a charge attack on its side. Which still does a lot of damage.

The overhead swing: the orphan raises its weapon over its head and slams it straight down. If it hits you, it will be painful. But it comes straight down. Just dodge to the left and get in a bunch of hits with a one-handed weapon.

3. Speaking of dodging to the left, dodge to the left. When you are up close and personal, dish out a couple of hits and dodge left. You will almost always evade its retaliatory attack and can repeat the process.

4. Don't fight the orphan on the beach. Run straight out into the ocean, which isn't an ocean at all. You have a huge, completely open space to fight OoK in, and you benefit hugely from the ability to run away and heal.

5. Phase two is hectic and scary, but its accuracy is extremely poor. It's also very, very easy to bait out its jumping attack. On the ocean, you can run away and trigger its leap, then simply roll to avoid its impact. Just like before unleash as many attacks as you can, dodge left, and repeat.

6. If you have it, the one handed version of the Holy Moonlight Sword has the perfect timing and range to predictably stagger with backstabs on phase one. I didn't do this personally, but check this out: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BtH_N-inqPw

I can pretty much echo these sentiments. After failing miserably for so long with a rather conservative approach, I got really aggressive with him and killed him in 3 tries. Stay close to him and he misses the majority of his attacks, especially in his second form. When he misses he still has a "cooldown" for his attacks, so he leaves himself wide open.

If you try and play it safe you will die... over and over and over. Trust me.

Derpot

Is your skill stat a lot higher than the other two?

Not at all. My stats are
STR 29
SKILL 12
ARC 14

('m lvl 40)

After 25 STR, you get more on SKL pre 25, so yeah. That's why you need both STR and SKL to 25, then keep up leveling STR if you want more.

ARC is totally diferent because the S scaling kicks with the L2/R2 IMO, regular R1 doesnt add that much ARC damage.

Yeah, but it's weird, when I wanted to check the damage I could have by increasing Skill, it seems that the damage was more powerful than Strength, even after 25.
I don't know how to be clear in my explanation, I need to check again and take some screens maybe.

EDIT: Eh nah, nevermind actually, I take that back, you were right, I didn't check well enough lol

EDIT2: No, wait, there's something I don't understand lol, I need to look again.

EDIT3: Okay, I think I understand, that's like you said before.

Ferr986

As a person that likes to do lots of characters, I wouldn't care if gems never come back. Or if they do, don't put them with shit drop rates. They're a hassle to farm with multiple characters.

I would honestly like Chalice dungeons to return, but without any kind of progression, just randomized dungeons focused only on endgame content.

myco666

As a person that likes to do lots of characters, I wouldn't care if gems never come back. Or if they do, don't put them with shit drop rates. They're a hassle to farm with multiple characters.

I would honestly like Chalice dungeons to return, but without any kind of progression, just randomized dungeons focused only on endgame content.

I would like that they gave you better games in NG+ and beyond and removed those shit 0,7% gems. Hell make bosses drop them or something. Just don't make me go spend bunch of hours farming in Chalices.

Agree, I dont get why there are so many types but the good ones are scarce so you have to grind and grind to get more gems to grind on the chalices where you have to grind for materials for late game bosses who will probably die pretty fast because the chalice bosses are harder than the main game bosses and dont let me start with the elemental bloodgems that scale are really bad.

Not in terms of upgrades, but DS2 had several broken builds.

I would like that too.

But yeah, I would only accept gems with sure drops on high endgame stuff. But yeah, they suck for multiple characters.

Top Bottom