• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
I must be the only person who had severe problems with Maria. It took me maybe 20 tries to beat her. I hear that she's easy with ripostes, but I never really got the hang of that mechanic.
I took maybe 5 tries to beat her. Ripostes actually speed up her phase changes, so I preferred to not use many when fighting her. First time fighting and entering phase 3 when the boss is still at 75% SUCKED.

Is it an unwritten rule not to use vials when pvp?

Is an unspoken rule, you either rush to the Boss fog gate if you dont want to be invaded or simply wait the invader, if the invader greets you is an honorable fight and he would possibly dont heal at all. If the invader rush at you, well, he would usually ran away and heal everytime so rush to the boss fog gate.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Is an unspoken rule, you either rush to the Boss fog gate if you dont want to be invaded or simply wait the invader, if the invader greets you is an honorable fight and he would possibly dont heal at all. If the invader rush at you, well, he would usually ran away and heal everytime so rush to the boss fog gate.
I absolutely hate when someone ganks me while I'm trying to do a bow. Not cool, dude.

p3n

360 no-scope grabbed and eaten. Like a scrub. Glad you got it though :D

Seems like the shaman bone blades didn't work out?

Beat Dark Souls 1 a couple days ago and finally started playing this. So far, I really like it. I'm proud that I didn't die on the first boss. Father Gascoigne certainly took me awhile to figure out upon reaching his final form though. Finally resorted to molotovs and that did the trick pretty well. Now I'm in Old Yharnam. God, this game's setting and atmosphere are really great.

Some DS1 spoilers regarding an encounter early on in this game:
The area where you find the top hat and hunter outfit. Upon picking the gear off of the body, a portal phenomenon starts happening. This portal looks a lot like the portal that Manus pulls you through to Oolacile in DS1. Before even playing Bloodborne, Marvelous Chester immediately reminded of it. He's gotta be from Yharnam!

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Just wow. Lobos is insane with this stuff. I guess he has high Skill to get most out of viscerals but still. No damage during final boss is pretty impressive.
As was mentioned in the comments, Lobos was the true boss in that fight. Poor
Orphan
was the one fighting for its life. He's also got one of him fisting the dynamic duo in the well too. I feel so inadequate now...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man, helping a friend with NG+4 and those bosses do not fuck around. Even Living Failures is hard now. Their arm flailing 2-shots me, their knockdown smash almost OHKOs (kills me if I have a sliver missing), etc.

Impulsor

Guys, which weapons do you like the most from the expansion.

I'm currently abusing the Pizza Cutter, I like the beast cutter too.

Moonlight holy blade is awesome too, but still, my favourite is the pizza cutter.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Man, helping a friend with NG+4 and those bosses do not fuck around. Even Living Failures is hard now. Their arm flailing 2-shots me, their knockdown smash almost OHKOs (kills me if I have a sliver missing), etc.

Indeed. Started the DLC on +4. It's been a helluvah ride so far. One boss left to go.

Moonlight holy blade is awesome too, but still, my favourite is the pizza cutter.

MLHB is love. MLHB is life.

KRaZyAmmo

I gotta say the Whirligig Saw (or Pizza Cutter). I thought I wouldn't like it at first because of the 2 handed moveset. But I did get use to it and was able to defeat
OoK
with it. I was thinking about using the Boom Hammer or another STR weapon from the DLC on my second save file. (might do another NG with skills)

I'm using MLHB as my dedicated Kin Hunter (+Phys, -Beast gems), and the Whirlgig Saw as my dedicated Beast Hunter (+Phys, -Kin gems). I'm working on getting the gems together for an Uncanny Kos Parasite as a pure Arcane weapon just for putzing around, though.

Making steady progress on
Ludwig
. Even manage to get to the second stage! Found a tactic that I'm comfortable with even if I do keep getting rekt every hour and then; just keeping under him and destroy his stomach/legs with the Whirligig. The staggering it occasionally does leaves me enough time to score a couple more hits/time to heal for me to justify doing it, and any time I do take damage there's usually enough time to regain it back from attacking. The only times I get thrown off is when he dodges too far away and I have to get back under there. Fuuuuck his running charge and off camera leap attack though, especially the latter.

Any tips for his second form?

edit: also nice of From Software to
have the red corpse dude smacking the gate drop 5 blood vials every time

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
So just had the notion to buy the alternate versions of the new weapons in the CDs. Anyone know the ideal versions of each one? Vanilla, Uncanny, Lost.
Mainly been running the MLHB, Bowblade, Pizza Cutter, and wanna try the Amy Arm.

Impulsor

So just had the notion to buy the alternate versions of the new weapons in the CDs. Anyone know the ideal versions of each one? Vanilla, Uncanny, Lost.
Mainly been running the MLHB, Bowblade, Pizza Cutter, and wanna try the Amy Arm.

I was investigating this too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/35wgft/uncanny_vs_lost_weapons_explained/

I think it explains it there. Depends on what you want and what gems you have, seems that For pizza Cutter for example Normal and Uncanny are best for purely physical builds.

J4g3r

So what's the dealio here? I assume it's the body of
Kos
causing problems as we've had a few glitches where you can do a super jump way into the air while on it.

A regular hit with the Blade of Mercy after a parry seems to lock him in that animation. Doesn't work with any other weapon apparently, though it works with throwing knives and pebbles too. I'm planning on doing some testing on it when I get home today.

Ferr986

Making steady progress on
Ludwig
. Even manage to get to the second stage! Found a tactic that I'm comfortable with even if I do keep getting rekt every hour and then; just keeping under him and destroy his stomach/legs with the Whirligig. The staggering it occasionally does leaves me enough time to score a couple more hits/time to heal for me to justify doing it, and any time I do take damage there's usually enough time to regain it back from attacking. The only times I get thrown off is when he dodges too far away and I have to get back under there. Fuuuuck his running charge and off camera leap attack though, especially the latter.

Any tips for his second form?

Always stay close to him, so his beams don't touch you. Then it's a matter of dodge his swings.

When he puts his sword on the floor, run away cause he will do an AoE attack. When he puts his sword up, go behind him and attack the shit out of him(he does a cone frontal damage).

2nd phase is way easier than first IMO.

For most weapons, you want two Radial and one Triangle gem slot if possible, because those are by far the easiest to farm excellent gems for. The only real exceptions are if you want to do unusual builds (Bolt/Fire, maybe), and Bloodtinge weapons.

So, the MLHB and Whirligig, for example, are basically in their optimal state out of the gate. The Kos Parasite you might want to get the Uncanny version of, conversely.

Impulsor

For most weapons, you want two Radial and one Triangle gem slot if possible, because those are by far the easiest to farm excellent gems for. The only real exceptions are if you want to do unusual builds (Bolt/Fire, maybe), and Bloodtinge weapons.

So, the MLHB and Whirligig, for example, are basically in their optimal state out of the gate. The Kos Parasite you might want to get the Uncanny version of, conversely.
I can't stop using my LHS even after trying out the MLHS. Isn't scaling better in the LHS?

Impulsor

LHS do scale better if you purely use STR and SKL yeah. You need STR, SKL, and ARC for the MLHS. That's why the MLHS requires more of a "high" level build.
But arcane only affects the ranged attacks in the MLHS doesn't it? In every weapon really, it only affects them when you use fire or bolt paper or use the phantasm shell.

So yeah.

But arcane only affects the ranged attacks in the MLHS doesn't it? In every weapon really, it only affects them when you use fire or bolt paper or use the phantasm shell.

So yeah.

The "ranged" attacks with MLHS are also melee attacks. If the physical swing that launches the energy wave hits the enemy it stacks the damage together into some disgustingly chunky hits.

Granted, most of the time I'm using it untransformed anyway, but if I want it transformed I really, really want the MLHS version, not the Ludwig's.

Impulsor

The "ranged" attacks with MLHS are also melee attacks. If the physical swing that launches the energy wave hits the enemy it stacks the damage together into some disgustingly chunky hits.

Granted, most of the time I'm using it untransformed anyway, but if I want it transformed I really, really want the MLHS version, not the Ludwig's.
Oh, cool yeah, so basicly using L2 or R2 pretty much guarantee uber damage if you are at melee range. right?

Oh, cool yeah, so basicly using L2 or R2 pretty much guarantee uber damage if you are at melee range. right?

The charged L2 hits like a truck and launches things like pool balls, yeah. The charged R2's not quite as satisfying, but it's still nice.

I pretty much only transform it if I want to use the charged moves, or maybe if I want a little extra range for some of the bosses with goofy hitboxes.

Impulsor

The charged L2 hits like a truck and launches things like pool balls, yeah. The charged R2's not quite as satisfying, but it's still nice.

I pretty much only transform it if I want to use the charged moves, or maybe if I want a little extra range for some of the bosses with goofy hitboxes.

I'm planning on using that for the Defiled Chalice dungeon, that one where you have half hp and stamina. For the platinum.

Ferr986

So yeah.

Apart of what Imperfected said, Arcane do also add damage to regular R1, but way lower than STR or SKL. But considering SKL scale is C (instead of B like Ludwigs) you need atleast 25 in ARC too for everything, I would say.

It's true that where the MLHS shines is when you hit the two R2 combo with both the sword and the beam. I do around 3K damage with that combo and I don't even have the best nourishing gems.

RiggyRob

A regular hit with the Blade of Mercy after a parry seems to lock him in that animation. Doesn't work with any other weapon apparently, though it works with throwing knives and pebbles too. I'm planning on doing some testing on it when I get home today.

Really? No shit, Pimmsy's been using the Blade of Mercy but hasn't been able to land a parry on him yet. That'd be a really useful tip for her (and it'd make for an anticlimactic fight, but she's been banging her head against this fight for days now).

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
I can't stop using my LHS even after trying out the MLHS. Isn't scaling better in the LHS?

Pure physical is better with LHB, but since I've hit the hard caps on STR, SKL, and almost there on ARC the damage output is substantially higher with MLHB for me. Also, R1 attacks in the transformed state (as well as base state to a lesser extent) do dual damage. All I know is I can 3-shot the sack guys in Depth 5 FRC chalices with mine transformed and it's only +9 with average nourishing gems on it.

Besides that, I like that MLHB transformed allows for parrying unlike LHB. :p

duxstar

MLHS hits like a truck at 50/50 strength/arcane

Yes it's my higher build guy and its slow as hell but it does something like 812 damage right now ?

Pure damage isn't everything though my rakuoyo is my lowest damage weapon outta 3 characters (615), but the speed on it allows it to keep up.

Why do I just wanna keep playing , I've already beaten the game like 8 times , and just want to help people co op bosses. Its so cool when somowone says theyve spent days on a boss and summoned other people that died and you roll in and take it out with them first try. That and you can still get killed at any boss if you get greedy going for 6k combos or don't dodge at the right time

NEO0MJ

Orphan of Kos
is a pretty tough boss fight, much more difficult than the two before it. Also kinda funny and sad
That is one ugly baby.

Here's something pretty significant, someone I know found a cheese for the
Orphan of Kos

Pretty game breaking... Hoping the word gets out and it get's patched.

Bloodborne How to CHEESE
Orphan of Kos
(glitch)

Almost tempting to use this, lol. But I refuse to even summon for boss fights, no way will I cheese like that.
But man, this game has issues with slopes and uneven ground.

Carcetti

I was invaded the 2nd time ever in Mergo's Loft while I was going past it in new game +. Now I've never done Bloodborne PVP so when this person. who had a very PVP-ey name that I can remember, started doing these bows I just put the pizza cutter +10 into his face and that was that. Guess that was a faux pas in hindsight.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member
Been farming blood gems in the chalices this evening. Which would be better for MLHB: nourishing gems to up both phys and arcane or focusing on the +27.2% phys gems?

I've been using 2 nourishing gems so far. Switched out one for a +27.2%, but I was kind of sad to see my arcane damage drop so much :p

Top Bottom