• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

A combo that stunlocks in PvP. Yeah I've never seen this before! Totally game-breaking, please nerf, game is borked now!

*yawn*
One thing is to get stunlocked by fast weapons like BoM, another is get stunlocked by a slow as fuck weapons that hits like a truck.

Poise was a joke on DS2 and lead to broken shit like this.

I mean then we had this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNGuA4XVaXU

lol

DS2 balance was a joke that needed several (lots) of adjusments to be playable, although balance is a common problem with souls games, I have to agree.

myco666

One thing is to get stunlocked by fast weapons like BoM, another is get stunlocked by a slow as fuck weapons that hits like a truck.

Poise was a joke on DS2 and lead to broken shit like this.

I mean then we had this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNGuA4XVaXU

lol

DS2 balance was a joke that needed several (lots) of adjusments to be playable, although balance is a common problem with souls games, I have to agree.

DaS2 had bunch of broken stuff at launch but so did DaS1 and BB at launch. Remember lightning Zweihander or Arcane Rifle Spear?

Finalow

there were always broken builds, spells or items in the souls games, especially at launch. so yes, Dark Souls 2, like the others, was (still is?) unbalanced as fuck.
some things get nerfed, some things don't.

''Tranquil Walk of Death Peace'' in DkS1 before the nerf, WoG and hexes in DkS2, etc. *the list can get pretty big.

it is hilarious when you know what is broken and the opponent doesn't. :p

laxu

I would like that they gave you better games in NG+ and beyond and removed those shit 0,7% gems. Hell make bosses drop them or something. Just don't make me go spend bunch of hours farming in Chalices.
Aye. What also sucks is that coldblood doesn't scale with level. In NG+ they are nearly useless.

The Chalice dungeons should not be in the game at all. Just have a boss arena mode and spare us the drab dungeons.

DaS2 had bunch of broken stuff at launch but so did DaS1 and BB at launch. Remember lightning Zweihander or Arcane Rifle Spear?

Sure, I agreeded that souls balance is a common problem with the series, but while Arcane Rifle Spear was a notorious broken build, BB is probably the most balanced soulsborne game (obviously thanks to it's shorter range of weapons, spells and items).

So while gems, or fuckton of weapons, armor and items may throw balance of the cliff naturally, one shouldn't really worry about balance on a souls game, since it's mostly bound to be broken.

Thats not even the tip of the iceberg my friend.

Oh I know, but I could only remember OnlyAfro videos since I stopped playing DaS2 months ago.

Wagram

Sure, I agreeded that souls balance is a common problem with the series, but while Arcane Rifle Spear was a notorious broken build, BB is probably the most balanced soulsborne game (obviously thanks to it's shorter range of weapons, spells and items).

So while gems, or fuckton of weapons, armor and items may throw balance of the cliff naturally, one shouldn't really worry about balance on a souls game, since it's mostly bound to be broken.

Oh I know, but I could only remember OnlyAfro videos since I stopped playing DaS2 months ago.

In PvE I disagree significantly and find it to be the worst. I didn't farm echoes at all in the campaign and bosses were being toppled due to the insane blood gems and visceral system.

edit: they're not Souls. GET IT RIGHT!

myco666

Aye. What also sucks is that coldblood doesn't scale with level. In NG+ they are nearly useless.

The Chalice dungeons should not be in the game at all. Just have a boss arena mode and spare us the drab dungeons.

Oh god that is the worst. What the hell do I do with coldblood that gives me 150 echoes in NG+ and beyond? Can you even buy one pebble with that?

Yeah BB is pretty balanced and it is most likely the lower amount of weapons and spells. Gems throw some variants into the mix like we saw with Rifle Spear but nothing major aside that. Or atleast I don't remember. Maybe Cannon in PVE? It is still pretty 'broken' in PVP if you know the best way to use it.

But yeah I agree that you shouldn't really care about having balance in Souls or Bloodborne especially at launch when there is always something broken. At launch PVP basically boils down to who finds the most broken shit fastest.

edit.
How did some of you guys beat
Ludwig?

Using overleveled builds. Thats what I did the first time haha. Is there something that is causing problems for you in general?

In PvE I disagree significantly and find it to be the worst. I didn't farm echoes at all in the campaign and bosses were being toppled due to the insane blood gems and visceral system.

edit: they're not Souls. GET IT RIGHT!

Meh, visceral system is only there if you go for a skill based character and several bosses are quite hard to visceral, and you only find good blood gems after finishing some of the hardest content (Chalice dungeons) or some decent ones in the final area, so in NG aren't really a problem.

For me BB is the hardest game of the (two)series by far, and DLC only cemented that. But regarding PvE balance, is not something BB might do wrong, you can create some very powerful PvE builds in any game of the series.

How did some of you guys beat
Ludwig?

If you have that many problems you can ask GAF help. But one tip that I see many people fail when I fought it co-op: after he jumps start running and don't stop until he falls (alternatively roll like a madman). Is the safest way to avoid it.

Conduit

Banned
I'm interested in buying this DLC.

One question. I already finished game. I started a new game+ at level 90. Now, if i buy The Old Hunter DLC, can i access it immediately even if i play a new game+?

myco666

I'm interested in buying this DLC.

One question. I already finished game. I started a new game+ at level 90. Now, if i buy The Old Hunter DLC, can i access it immediately even if i play a new game+?

Like Orochinagis said you need to beat VA. Also level90 will be very low on NG+ so unless you are really good or just like to get destroyed you need to level up before it.

Arjen

I would like that they gave you better games in NG+ and beyond and removed those shit 0,7% gems. Hell make bosses drop them or something. Just don't make me go spend bunch of hours farming in Chalices.

NG+ is really a step back from DS2. I loved what they did with that. I hope they bring it back for DS3

I've been playing the DLC since day one and just beat OoK for the first time.

It was one of those moments that, after failing hundreds of times in a row, I took a long break and beat it on the first couple of tries.

And, typical of Bloodborne bosses, the fight seems so simple in retrospect.

Thanks a lot for the tips, I will try and put them into practice next time! I managed to get to the 2nd phase pretty consistently, but it just wrecked me every time at that point.

I think I need a little break from the fight so I can come back with a new perspective. Probably my favourite game this year but damn it can be suffocating on occasion. If I can beat Ebrietas than I can beat this Orphan! Don't take that out of context please!

Ferr986

God fucking lord 30 mins farming bullshit Winter Lanterns with their bullshit Frenzy and I only get bullshit bullets.

See this is why the gem system sucks. I think I'll rather go grind chalice dungeons than deal with those.

/angry rant

Yeah
Ludwig
is wrecking my shit. I'm lvl 100 in NG+ . My chikage has 550 AR in BT mode and 360 in normal but these enemies in the DLC are tanking it.

Finalow

saw these posts only now, mybad :^

There is a dedicated PVP chalice dungeon for 1v1 duels though. Lots of people go there. Not sure how active it is right now with the release of the dlc.
I didn't know about this. searched for it and found a thread on reddit, not sure if you mean that chalice dungeon. I might go back and give that a try if it's still active.

Theres a whole lot of PVP in Bloodborne. Its just people want to carry over their "rules" from Dark Souls into this game where that doesnt work.

In this game everyone can heal, and fast. So its smart to be on alert at all times for it. If youre aggressive and learn how to parry heals consistently its no problem at all. Also Pro-tip: If your weapon is 2-handed while transformed and you need to get of a quick heal-parry just toggle weapons. The animation is faster than transforming and gives more than enough time to punish the heal if you see it coming.

Imo BB is the most intense PVP out of all of the games because knowing when to heal and try to get the parry is very important. That and weapons do crazy damage so getting hit 3-4 times equals death, which means your dodge game needs to be on point.

Ive been invading the DLC areas and getting 2/3v1s and those are always the most fun because it forces you as the invader to get good at parrying/dodging or being smart with your environment. I love it. Not as tactical as Dark Souls 1 or methodical as Dark Souls 2 but much more reactionary and intense which I personally love.
I believe it's more about the fact that pvp/invasion system in the DkS games (or Demon's, even) works better. here they obviously tried to do something new with the bells but the result isn't as good. like you can hardly be invaded during your run, even if you actively summon for co-op. or think how in the DkS games you could find 1v1 duels much faster, or how you could do things like "fight clubs", which were legit fun. then there are a bunch of small annoyances, like how you need to go back to the hunter's dream to restock on items, killing yourself is a bit faster (still annoying though) but that only works for vials and bullets (assuming that you have them in stock), or how pvp covenants might as well not exist - I'm not sure I ever got a duel from covenant runes. ~etc.
also there is much less variety in builds in comparison to the other games, more weapons and items were added with the DLC but you still often get a feeling of "already seen, already been there", the lack of magic doesn't help in that regard either.

parrying vials isn't really something that you can do consistently even if you learn how to shoot in the exact second the opponent heals (which is hard to do because of how fast you can heal), he can dash/roll out of your sight, hide behind corners or whatever and use that small time frame to heal, e.g. there is a lot of shit in Nightmare Frontier that blocks bullets, and by the time you go around that healing is already done. you can also run out of bullets very easily if you're trying to parry a lot, or if you use items - or if you just start the fight with 10 bullets because you didn't want to waste 3 minutes in loading screens to restock. /not to mention how the time frame for doing the visceral is small, so if you're far from the opponent you probably won't be able to do it.
never tried to swap weapons in order to get the gun out faster when using a 2h weapon, that could actually work.

I'm not saying it's awful, it's far from that and I had fun with it, but I still find the other games to be much more enjoyable as far as pvp and invasions go.

iBlue

i just played Dark souls yesterday and it was good but god its just way TOO SLOW and you dont get life like in bloodborne where enemies drop the bloodvias. If DS 3 is gonna be like Dark souls i guess i am gonna have to wait for Bloodborne 2

I think Bloodborne's approach to PVP would be perfect if they just gave a very mild incentive to using the Sinister Bell.

I mean something like making it so you gain +50% Blood Echoes while the bell is ringing or being invaded. Keep it more or less completely opt-in, don't gate anything behind it, just make it worthwhile for a non-zero percentage of players to interact with the system who aren't doing it explicitly to hunt for PVP matches.

Is that bloodborne guide worth it on amazon? $20 with the 25% off is probay as cheap as it will get.

I've finished the game but would like to read about all the stuff I've missed before going into the dlc or new game sometime next year.

Fhtagn

Is that bloodborne guide worth it on amazon? $20 with the 25% off is probay as cheap as it will get.

I've finished the game but would like to read about all the stuff I've missed before going into the dlc or new game sometime next year.

Yes, it's a beautiful, massive guide.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I believe it's more about the fact that pvp/invasion system in the DkS games (or Demon's, even) works better. here they obviously tried to do something new with the bells but the result isn't as good. like you can hardly be invaded during your run, even if you actively summon for co-op. or think how in the DkS games you could find 1v1 duels much faster, or how you could do things like "fight clubs", which were legit fun. then there are a bunch of small annoyances, like how you need to go back to the hunter's dream to restock on items, killing yourself is a bit faster (still annoying though) but that only works for vials and bullets (assuming that you have them in stock), or how pvp covenants might as well not exist - I'm not sure I ever got a duel from covenant runes. ~etc.
I fucking hate that. The loading times for that and frequent need to return to the Dream killed my desire to PvP completely. When actively seeking PvP there's a bigger incentive to lose as a host (to refill vials and bullets) than to win, lol.

It's crazy that lamps don't work as bonfires to at least refill items. Huge step down from Souls games.

also there is much less variety in builds in comparison to the other games, more weapons and items were added with the DLC but you still often get a feeling of "already seen, already been there", the lack of magic doesn't help in that regard either.
Yeah agreed with this as well.

PvP is still kinda fun, but nothing seems to recapture the feeling of Demon's Souls PvP for me. :( Maybe DS3 will... if they can make a system that doesn't completely suck. Also, fuck HP penalties for phantoms and invaders, that's annoying. I was glad DS3 got rid of that. I also hope they get rid of the ugly glowing auras so I can Fashion Souls without using a late-game ring slot. xD

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got the Bowblade and I love it. Feels so good to use. I want to go back and replay everything with it. Almost finished the DLC now, it's been amazing.

cheesekao

Agree, I dont get why there are so many types but the good ones are scarce so you have to grind and grind to get more gems to grind on the chalices where you have to grind for materials for late game bosses who will probably die pretty fast because the chalice bosses are harder than the main game bosses and dont let me start with the elemental bloodgems that scale are really bad.
Unless you don't have PS+ there is almost zero need to grind for root chalice materials. Also elemental gems are really good but it only works with arcane builds and specific weapons.

One question.

I think that Demon's Souls are the toughest in the whole series. Is The Old Hunter tougher than Demon's?

The bosses, or the levels?

(Either way, I'm going to have trouble properly parsing this, since I really can't see a reasonable argument for Demon's Souls having the toughest of either. Are you sure it didn't just seem harder because it was your first Souls game?)

The Old Hunters bosses are dramatically harder than anything except maybe Maneaters. The Old Hunters levels are not really as hard as many of the ones in Dark Souls 1/2, however. Most of the ball-breaking stuff is completely optional, the actual progression path is fairly reasonable.

Bedlam

Jeez the bosses are tough in this one.

I'm currently fighting
Orphan of Kos
and soon I'm going to be out of Blood Vials. The health system in this game is still one of its biggest blunders. Can't wait to go back to Estus Flasks in DS3!

Deimo5

I'm currently fighting
Orphan of Kos
and soon I'm going to be out of Blood Vials. The health system in this game is still one of its biggest blunders. Can't wait to go back to Estus Flasks in DS3!

My second character spent over 100 vials trying to beat them (still haven't yet) and my first character did the same. Both times I sold the dlc weapons I didn't want to use to buy more vials since some will net you lots of echoes.
First half is fine, but when it transforms I can't stop getting wrecked.

NEO0MJ

I was so close to beating
Orphan, but it then caught me in its tantrum attack and I was instantly killed despite my high health.

I'm currently fighting
Orphan of Kos

That, and the loading times. They really discourage me from continuing to play.

Top Bottom