• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Dark is not the same as BB. I really hope Sony and From are aware of the many fans of this game to give us a sequel.

Im just afraid of any potential sequel falling into the same problems Dark Souls 2 did. Bloodborne feels like such a complete world I dont see where they could take a sequel without it cheapening this masterpiece.

Of course I'd have much more confidence if Miyazaki were at the helm for it, but the guy has so much on his plate with new future projects that I dont see how he'd find the time to oversee it. If he did return for it I dont see it happening for 3 years at the least.

NEO0MJ

Man, Isz ebrietas is really strong. Not doing much to her right now.

Going into NG+ make the chalice journey faster now, since the insight shop start selling some dungeons exclusive ritual materials.

Doesn't the blood store sell most of them now as well?

Verder

yo i seriously think the
laurence
theme gives me the biggest case of chills for the first min.

its crazy.

same with
kos

Sayad

Man, Isz ebrietas is really strong. Not doing much to her right now.

Doesn't the blood store sell most of them now as well?
Things open up in the blood store after using them to create a dungeon, I think, haven't checked after the last update. Don't remember which ritual material it was(Bastard of Loran probably), but in NG+ it shows up in the insight shop and allow you to skip having to go through Loran Chalice before the Defiled Chalice.

Fhtagn

When I tried to go to him from the BSB lamp (coming back from the Hunter's Dream), he was still hostile and attacked me. I think it's definitely necessary to beat Paarl to befriend him.

Not quite... This below is almost right:

It's easy.
  1. Kill Blood-starved Beast
  2. Reload Old Yharnam level from BSB lamp
  3. Go to Djura from the back (the stairs shortcut and then climb the stairs to the top where he is)

Then you can talk to him and
he asks to spare the beasts of Yharnam. If you agree you get stuff.
Then you can kill him! >:D

EDIT: Not completely sure if that's the right order or if you have to
do 1. then die to a bag guy and then go thru Hypogean Gaol and kill Darkbeast Paarl first and then go to Djura.

You have to
fight Darkbeast Paarl at least once, but you do not have to kill him. You can even just start the fight and warp out to the lamp. Then approach Djura from the BSB lantern.

I have done this myself to test the conditions.

AlexIIDX

Im just afraid of any potential sequel falling into the same problems Dark Souls 2 did. Bloodborne feels like such a complete world I dont see where they could take a sequel without it cheapening this masterpiece.

Of course I'd have much more confidence if Miyazaki were at the helm for it, but the guy has so much on his plate with new future projects that I dont see how he'd find the time to oversee it. If he did return for it I dont see it happening for 3 years at the least.

I mean, he was doing BB and DS3 simultaneously right? After this DLC, this is one of my favorite games of all time. I need more :(

Not quite... This below is almost right:

You have to
fight Darkbeast Paarl at least once, but you do not have to kill him. You can even just start the fight and warp out to the lamp. Then approach Djura from the BSB lantern.

So you technically trick the system
you encounter Paarl and met Djura without killing Paarl, since he was required to unlock the shortcut to Old Yharman without entering the main entrance.

2AdEPT

So you technically trick the system
you encounter Paarl and met Djura without killing Paarl, since he was required to unlock the shortcut to Old Yharman without entering the main entrance.

Here is the video I did on it, I dont think there are as many qualifications as I even said in the video. Just make sure you travel from the BSB chalice or from Paarls lair. I showed up at Parrl but didnt kill him...someone said you need the insight from going there...not sure but it worked for me in the video obviously.

laxu

As for insight, I've read the game is easier if you have less, but you "see more stuff" if you have more. I honestly have no clue what a good number to run with is, but so far I'm not going out of my way to have more so I won't be using the madman's knowledge for the time being.

Insight controls frenzy (more insight, faster frenzy), beasthood (more insight, takes longer to fill beasthood meter if you use beast pellets) and after 15 some enemies get extra attacks. If you want to play it safe or know you are going to fight Winter Lanterns then it's best to have low insight but otherwise just think of it as another currency to spend. With the new patch the blood rocks would be the best investment, before it I bought a few blood chunks and some beast blood pellets plus the armor sets with it.

Also I'm probably playing the game wrong, but I have almost no use for bullets. I have the 650 in storage and it's very annoying when you can't pick up an item anymore, since you'll see the yellow glow later and think it's something useful. I very rarely shoot with the Rifle Spear funny enough and for mobs I'm using the Mercy Blades, mostly 2 handed. Right now I'm trying to get to 15 arcane to use the roar item to at least use bullets on something. It's probably a terrible idea though.

Parrying with guns is a big part of the game and you should learn to use it, it's really fun and satisfying when you get it right and takes care of many enemies a lot easier. I went thru my first run without really learning to use it but it is very necessary in NG+. The executioners in Hemwick Charmel Lane are a good spot to practice. I generally use the Blunderbuss as it usually hits and can interrupt enemy attacks. Since you use the rifle spear learn to use the gun option in that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Huh, just received this on the mail today...

Eswnka.jpg

Melchiah

i wish people would not give a shit about names, because names are seriously not giving a way a thing.

I wish people would not be rude, even if they don't care about spoilers themselves. The names are unquestionably spoilers, as implied by the trophy descriptions only showing afterwards. It's not like the names are the only things revealed on this thread.

NEO0MJ

Maybe something like
The Living Failures
won't reveal much, but I feel like
Orphan of Kos
is pretty major. It would be like mentioning that Gehrman is the potential final boss of the main game.

Mutombo

I wish people would not be rude, even if they don't care about spoilers themselves. The names are unquestionably spoilers, as implied by the trophy descriptions only showing afterwards. It's not like the names are the only things revealed on this thread.

Ok did not mean to be rude, but the incessant whining about spoilers everywhere on the web, even though they've actually been proven to not harm the experience at all, gets underneath my skin sometimes.

But tell me, how do the names "kos" and "laurence" spoil for you? I honestly can not fathom how that would work.

And before we venture too far off topic; er, still haven't beaten laurence, I hope the new patch will give me some magic.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
i wish people would not give a shit about names, because names are seriously not giving a way a thing.

Wellllll....... people should just use common sense really... I mean, names like Living Failures or even the name of the DLCs last boss is not really important IMO, and your enjoyment of the story wouldn't be harmed even if you know about their names beforehand, but the name of the 1st boss and the name of the secret boss? Well they're pretty important I think! Since they're named characters from the main game.

Although FROM themselves already spoiled the name of the 1st boss in the trailers and such, lol.

Melchiah

Ok did not mean to be rude, but the incessant whining about spoilers everywhere on the web, even though they've actually been proven to not harm the experience at all, gets underneath my skin sometimes.

But tell me, how do the names
"kos" and "laurence"
spoil for you? I honestly can not fathom how that would work.

No need to use belittling terms like "whining", even if you don't care about spoilers yourself. They do lessen the experience for me. Especially now, when I'm playing the game without guides, unlike the main game.

They are
mentioned in the main game, and are key figures in the lore
, it would have been a good surprise to learn about them in the game, instead of on this thread. Those who've already completed the DLC could experience it that way, so why deprive the latecomers the same?

On a side note, it was amusing to see the enemy hunters killing the
Executioner, that emerges from the Grand Cathedral.
That didn't happen to me before, when I played the DLC on launch week. The first two halved its health, and after few hits from me, a third hunter finished the job.

I'm on new game ++ with my main character. I wanna use him because I want the bow. He's my skill/bloodtinge build. I feel like if I make another skill character it'll be too similar.

NG++ the dlc is difficult enough that even at 183 it should still give you a good experience, especially the bosses. I say go for it, but don't level anymore.

Mutombo

No need to use belittling terms like "whining", even if you don't care about spoilers yourself. They do lessen the experience for me. Especially now, when I'm playing the game without guides, unlike the main game.

They are
mentioned in the main game, and are key figures in the lore
, it would have been a good surprise to learn about them in the game, instead of on this thread. Those who've already completed the DLC could experience it that way, so why deprive the latecomers the same?

Seriously, I really need to call it whining, because it really is borderline childish when I see "SPOILER" shouts and cries on website comments. Not your example per se, but on other sites. Stuff you see on posters or on trailers, etc, or on a normal review that describes a plot that you would see on the back of a dvd.

But fair enough, if the names were a part of the lore in the main game, then I would agree that it is spoilerish.

Derpot

You have to

Here is the video I did on it, I dont think there are as many qualifications as I even said in the video. Just make sure you travel from the BSB chalice or from Paarls lair. I showed up at Parrl but didnt kill him...someone said you need the insight from going there...not sure but it worked for me in the video obviously.

Oooh my, I learn something new everyday about that game.
Jeez, this boss made me suffer so much, I hate him with the fire of a thousand suns, and today I found out that it's not necessary to kill him to befriend Djura...

Hhhhh.

But anyway, thanks for the information!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
NG++ the dlc is difficult enough that even at 183 it should still give you a good experience, especially the bosses. I say go for it, but don't level anymore.

High level like 183 for NG++ doesn't really matter; even 200, since the minuscule defense gain by reaching that high really don't compensate much, if any, against the fact that all enemies, especially bosses, eat your HP pretty much every time you got hit by any of their sneezes.

DLC in NG is much, much easier than NG+; don't wanna even begin to imagine NG++, lol :(

Oooh my, I learn something new everyday about that game.
Jeez, this boss made me suffer so much, I hate him with the fire of a thousand suns, and today I found out that it's not necessary to kill him to befriend Djura...

Hhhhh.

But anyway, thanks for the information!

Paarl is eaaaaaaaaaaasyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Straight up one of the easiest bosses in the main game, IMO.

Just make sure you don't lock on to him, roll under him, and then smack the shit out of its legs. Use sweeping weapons like Cane's Whip, Ludwig's Big Sword Mode, extended Saw Cleaver (actually the short version works really well too), etc etc. He's really easy since you can pretty much just repeat that over and over again and he can't do anything.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What's a good level to start this?

65 is FROM's recommendation, I believe. Some of the enemies will outright crush you however, if you haven't been leveling up your character properly. I would recommend at least leveling up your weapon of choice to at least +7 or +8 before attempting this, especially if you begin at that level.

cheesekao

65 is FROM's recommendation, I believe. Some of the enemies will outright crush you however, if you haven't been leveling up your character properly. I would recommend at least leveling up your weapon of choice to at least +7 or +8 before attempting this, especially if you begin at that level.
A German Spy, one of the guys who is involved with the guide, said that level 90 is the best level if you don't want a frustrating experience.

Derpot

Paarl is eaaaaaaaaaaasyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Straight up one of the easiest bosses in the main game, IMO.

Just make sure you don't lock on to him, roll under him, and then smack the shit out of its legs. Use sweeping weapons like Cane's Whip, Ludwig's Big Sword Mode, extended Saw Cleaver (actually the short version works really well too), etc etc. He's really easy since you can pretty much just repeat that over and over again and he can't do anything.

Yeah well, I use that method too because this is the only way to deal with him properly, but he's still a pain in the ass because he can't fucking stop moving and even without the lock, the camera still goes crazy.

And let's not talk about his big bro Loran. He's a pure kind of asshole. One of the worst bosses of the game to me.

Melchiah

Seriously, I really need to call it whining, because it really is borderline childish when I see "SPOILER" shouts and cries on website comments. Not your example per se, but on other sites. Stuff you see on posters or on trailers, etc, or on a normal review that describes a plot that you would see on the back of a dvd.

But fair enough, if the names were a part of the lore in the main game, then I would agree that it is spoilerish.

I guess it depends. Posting crucial cutscenes or end-game content on the screenshot thread is a big no-no for me. The latter includes end-game locations, especially if there's something special about them. It's always better to experience them first hand, and have that moment of surprise. They don't necessarily ruin the experience, but they do lessen it more or less. I just see it as a common courtesy to let others experience them the same way as the early birds did.

I don't generally watch movie trailers, or read reviews and synopses beforehand, as they've spoiled too many things in the past, even major twists and deaths of crucial characters.

EDIT:
A German Spy, one of the guys who is involved with the guide, said that level 90 is the best level if you don't want a frustrating experience.

I can second to that. Tried the DLC first with 60 level character, and it was too frustrating for me. I raised my level to 90, and now it feels much more manageable.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Yeah, it's possible to get through in 65 or 70, but it's going to be really, really rough. I managed to get all the DLC weapons prior the 1st boss and unlocking the shortcut and the Church lamp by using a level 55-ish character... that was a real pain running around like a rabbit, hahah. Ludwig's Holy Blade can help quite a bit--that stagger potential is priceless to interrupt some enemies to get more breathing room.

Yeah well, I use that method too because this is the only way to deal with him properly, but he's still a pain in the ass because he can't fucking stop moving and even without the lock, the camera still goes crazy.

And let's not talk about his big bro Loran. He's a pure kind of asshole. One of the worst bosses of the game to me.

Yeah, Loran is a big arsehole, hahahah. Thankfully on my first quest to Platinum I didn't have to fight him considering I did the Chalice in NG+ and the Red Jelly required can be gotten from two trips to Lecture Hall.

NEO0MJ

I didn't try it in NG but I feel 65 only really works if all your level were spent on just health, vitality, and strength/skill. Spreading your stats too much seems like it would be a problem from what I experienced in NG+.

What makes it so much worse?

Szadek

Tested Kos Parasite for a while.
Even at +9 and with my best runes and arkane at 50, it deals about half as much damage as my other arcane weapons.
So yeah, I will stick with those.

NEO0MJ

He has a much higher damage threshold before collapsing when you strike his legs compared to his weaker version.

I see. I have yet to take on the lower Loran chalice.

Tested Kos Parasite for a while.
Even at +9 and with my best runes and arkane at 50, it deals about half as much damage as my other arcane weapons.
So yeah, I will stick with those.

Did you equip the right blood gems? It's really picky.

And don't forget that this is a rather unique/gimmicky weapon so it's to be expected that it's damage would be lower than other weapons.

myco666

Yeah, it's possible to get through in 65 or 70, but it's going to be really, really rough. I managed to get all the DLC weapons prior the 1st boss and unlocking the shortcut and the Church lamp by using a level 55-ish character... that was a real pain running around like a rabbit, hahah. Ludwig's Holy Blade can help quite a bit--that stagger potential is priceless to interrupt some enemies to get more breathing room.

IMO lvl50 is decent level to start the DLC if you have prioritized leveling Vit up and as long as you have +9 weapon with decent gems. Under that the regular enemies are okay but Ludwig is really infuriating at least for me. I got into the DLC at lvl15 with +2 Saw Cleaver and boy was that rough. Just made the run for Whirligig Saw and went to main game to level up.

Derpot

IMO lvl50 is decent level to start the DLC if you have prioritized leveling Vit up and as long as you have +9 weapon with decent gems. Under that the regular enemies are okay but Ludwig is really infuriating at least for me. I got into the DLC at lvl15 with +2 Saw Cleaver and boy was that rough. Just made the run for Whirligig Saw and went to main game to level up.

Yeah, in one of my games, I got into the DLC at lvl17 and wanted to get the Moonlight Sword, and oooooh boy was I delusional. It was such a bad idea to try to fight Ludwig at this lvl. If I remember correctly, I had a +8 Beast Cutter but my blood gems were too shitty lol

DSmalls84

While its true that Chikage and Evelyn benefits greatly from high Bloodtinge, the Reiterpallasch actually can function pretty well with just a Skill investment since it is after all mainly a Skill weapon. Worth noting however that Reiterpallasch's bullets are actually stronger than Evelyn, considering you can fit it with three physical gems that happen to also increase bullet damage.

Hmmmm. Rakuyo is basically a pure skill weapon, and the Church Pick can also give you great results due to its overall versatility. I think you can just continue with the character instead of creating a new one; like I said, 150 is a good target since it covers 100-150 and you won't have problems finding coop/pvp if that's your jam, and if 150 is your target than you have more than enough leeway to max out one other offensive stat. Just don't use Arcane, none of the Skill weapons use Arcane enough to make it worth it if you are already a Skill oriented character.

If you go Bloodtinge, your options are Chikage, Reiterpallasch, and Bowblade.
If you go Strength, a lot of weapons actually benefit from investments in Strength and Skill: Saw Cleaver, Saw Spear, Beast Cutter, Ludwig's Holy Blade... hell, even weapons that appear like they're lopsided towards a certain stat (like Burial Blade for Skill) benefits greatly from this.

Thanks I will probably just stick with skill for now. Didn't realize one point of strength would give me access to the Church Pick, Rakuyo and Saif in the expansion.

So I think I will build

Vitality: 50
Endurance:25
Skill: 50

That should get me to 100 at least.

SkylineRKR

995802_156367011395198_5333298815334265707_n.jpg

Done.

Also, holy shit Lost Chikage +10 with almost 800 blood attack. I only need 27.2 without stupid debuffs like -8% or HP loss. 21% gems for now.

myco666

Yeah, in one of my games, I got into the DLC at lvl17 and wanted to get the Moonlight Sword, and oooooh boy was I delusional. It was such a bad idea to try to fight Ludwig at this lvl. If I remember correctly, I had a +8 Beast Cutter but my blood gems were too shitty lol

Yeah Ludwig at low levels is super hard. I can get to second phase pretty consistently at lower levels but that second phase just wrecks me.

Optional boss against Whirligig Saw. This weapon has some serious damage output.

gunbo13

Just beat Kos on NG+4. Funny enough, he was 110,000x easier then Ludwig and Laurence. Why? Cause he didn't have a single one-shot. Ludwig had at least 3, Laurence closer to 4.

He was fairly easy actually. Visceral his first form. Two-hand dodged out with BoM his second form. Took about 20x. He does kill you in two swings though easy. So don't think he doesn't pack a punch.

Holy shit, hahaha. That had to be rough. Ludwig is the hardest boss in the DLC, in my opinion.

almost done with my maria skill build and about to start bloodtinge build.

Any pointers or tips of acquiring chikage fast and dealing with early game difficulty?

or should i just aim to get BLT 50 with my skill build?

almost done with my maria skill build and about to start bloodtinge build.

Any pointers or tips of acquiring chikage fast and dealing with early game difficulty?
Pure bloodtinge build is a blast. That's the build I used for the chalice dungeons and the plat. Just focus on the bosses you have to beat (Gascoigne, BSB to avoid 10k emblem, Witch, Amelia, Logarius) to get to the Chikage and worry about the rest later. As long as you pump most of your early levels into Vit you'll be fine.

I went with saw cleaver as my starting weapon to get me to Chikage. It's never steered me wrong!

Pure bloodtinge build is a blast. That's the build I used for the chalice dungeons and the plat. Just focus on the bosses you have to beat (Gascoigne, BSB to avoid 10k emblem, Witch, Amelia, Logarius) to get to the Chikage and worry about the rest later. As long as you pump most of your early levels into Vit you'll be fine.

I went with saw cleaver as my starting weapon to get me to Chikage. It's never steered me wrong!

I am very tempted to continue my skill build, which has almost 50 VIT and 50 SKL.
Which is faster? starting from scratch or continuing skill build?

I am very tempted to continue my skill build, which has almost 50 VIT and 50 SKL.
Which is faster? starting from scratch or continuing skill build?
It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want to continue you're looking at going well into NG+ and perhaps beyond. If you start fresh you can get the Chikage in probably 5-10 hours without much trouble. I'm not sure if this is your first run or not but repeat playthroughs go a lot faster than you might expect.

I prefer to start fresh instead of making a jack of all trades build but that's just personal preference I suppose.

Top Bottom