• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Struggling and in dire need of some advice on OoK. I'm having issues even getting him down to 50% health. I'm sl 125 and using either the LHB or HMB.

gogosox82

I'm like level 158 on my third time through the game. NG++ I think? I have seen two endings and I'm on my way to a third. Will the DLC be too easy or does it scale pretty good?

DLC is probably tougher than the main game. It definitely won't be easier especially at ng+3 or whatever your on.

SkylineRKR

Blood rocks were insta unlocked for me, but i'm in NG+.

Still, 60 insight... not a huge problem if you keep picking up knowledge and killing bosses.

gunbo13

Wow, 2nd try on NG+4? Damn, good job !
I wish. Probably died 100 times not using targeting. Then 2nd try using targeting. It gave slight advantage to dodging the close swipes. The only reason I did it on on 2nd try was hours and hours of training dodging his attacks. His second form had me at a sliver 3 times. It was tense. Fuck you Laurence.

You'll take those words back when you get to the first boss of the DLC :p

I'm playing the DLC on NG+ and would be perfectly okay with a little less danger.

DLC is probably tougher than the main game. It definitely won't be easier especially at ng+3 or whatever your on.

Lol, thanks guys. I'm gonna start the DLC as soon as I finish Fallout. I helped my friend who is just getting into Bloodborne and it all came rushing back.

Derpot

I wish. Probably died 100 times not using targeting. Then 2nd try using targeting. It gave slight advantage to dodging the close swipes. The only reason I did it on on 2nd try was hours and hours of training dodging his attacks. His second form had me at a sliver 3 times. It was tense. Fuck you Laurence.

Ooh I see.
Still, congrats for beating him on NG+4, because damn, it doesn't look easy lol

Jin

Anyone see if Beast Cutter R2 cost less stamina? That's the one thing that makes it hard for me stick with the weapon.

gunbo13

Ooh I see.
Still, congrats for beating him on NG+4, because damn, it doesn't look easy lol
Thanks man. I had to litter the thread with my frustration but he dead...so :p.

Not many bosses on scaled difficulty are more of a challenge. The hardest in BB for me so far. The difficulty reminded me of DMC3 Vergil on DMD. I just wrecked the dumb weird beings or whatever so hope nothing ahead makes Laurence look easy. My blood pressure can't take it.

RiggyRob

More reasonable time today - episode 26, Pimmsy vs. Beast-possessed Soul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQUFb8uJzpo

This is where the fights in the Chalice Dungeons get a lot more tense since Pimmsy moved onto the Ailing Loran chalice, which I never actually did during my first playthrough.

She managed to get a good few parries but she rode her luck at times as well - I think if she hadn't had the constant healing gems on the cane she might've died instead of surviving with a sliver of health.

I found it ironic that the Beast-possessed Soul both uses fire attacks and is weak to fire as he's a beast, usually elemental weaknesses don't work like that. New patch news saying you can buy Blood Rocks is a blessing too since now Pimmsy can upgrade the Rakuyo/Bowblade/Chikage to +10.

NEO0MJ

I found it ironic that the Beast-possessed Soul both uses fire attacks and is weak to fire as he's a beast, usually elemental weaknesses don't work like that. New patch news saying you can buy Blood Rocks is a blessing too since now Pimmsy can upgrade the Rakuyo/Bowblade/Chikage to +10.

Pokemon has been doing that since Gen 1!

The newest update (v 1.09) has been released.

Major content for update 1.09:

Changes to weapons
The strength and stamina cost for several weapons has been adjusted.

Changes to Insight Shop
 ・In order to trade for the Blood stone Chuck, the necessary amount of Insight has been changed from 30 to 20.
 ・Trading for the Blood Rock is now possible. 60 pieces of Insight are required.
 ※ A certain portion of the main game must been cleared in order to access the above.

Several other fixes and adjustments have been made.

Please look forward to the implementation of the newest update.
Thank you for playing Bloodborne. Keep up the hunt.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/op/bloodborne/news/2015/12/update109.html

uhmmQwa.gif

Derpot

Yay, I just beat Ludwig on my first try at lvl 40 (with Madaras and Valtr's help tho, and since I know this boss very well, it's not a real great accomplishment x) )
With my Ludwig's Holy Blade +10, it was so easy.

Thanks man. I had to litter the thread with my frustration but he dead...so :p.

Not many bosses on scaled difficulty are more of a challenge. The hardest in BB for me so far. The difficulty reminded me of DMC3 Vergil on DMD. I just wrecked the dumb weird beings or whatever so hope nothing ahead makes Laurence look easy. My blood pressure can't take it.

Hmmm well, if... you haven't finished the DLC yet, hmm... You'll see !

laxu

AFAIK it's impossible to get Djura to be friendly to you--so I have no idea how you can do it from a "half-way" point--unless you approach him from behind after loading an area. Since if you approach from the front he will be flagged by the game as always hostile to you since it is impossible to avoid his line of sight from the front.

It's easy.
  1. Kill Blood-starved Beast
  2. Reload Old Yharnam level from BSB lamp
  3. Go to Djura from the back (the stairs shortcut and then climb the stairs to the top where he is)

Then you can talk to him and
he asks to spare the beasts of Yharnam. If you agree you get stuff.
Then you can kill him! >:D

EDIT: Not completely sure if that's the right order or if you have to
do 1. then die to a bag guy and then go thru Hypogean Gaol and kill Darkbeast Paarl first and then go to Djura.

I just got an email with download to Bloodborne Platinum hunter theme. I know the EU folks got this theme a while ago. Glad that I finally got this them as well.

Derpot

It's easy.
  1. Kill Blood-starved Beast
  2. Reload Old Yharnam level from BSB lamp
  3. Go to Djura from the back (the stairs shortcut and then climb the stairs to the top where he is)

Then you can talk to him and
he asks to spare the beasts of Yharnam. If you agree you get stuff.
Then you can kill him! >:D

EDIT: Not completely sure if that's the right order or if you have to
do 1. then die to a bag guy and then go thru Hypogean Gaol and kill Darkbeast Paarl first and then go to Djura.

When I tried to go to him from the BSB lamp (coming back from the Hunter's Dream), he was still hostile and attacked me. I think it's definitely necessary to beat Paarl to befriend him.

laxu

Grimløck;190080950 said:
to add to what laxu said: you cannot kill any of the beasts in old yharnam on the way to BSB. just run past everything.

I don't think that matters as long as you don't kill any on the run when you go to Djura from the "back". Before I did that I killed many beasts just trying to get to Djura and even attacked him. He only turns hostile if you approach from the front. Just going from the BSB lamp or Paarl lamp and taking the ladder shortcut next to the stairs that lead to Djura is enough.

Grimløck;190080950 said:
to add to what laxu said: you cannot kill any of the beasts in old yharnam on the way to BSB. just run past everything.

I thought it was as long as you don't fight Djura prior to fighting Darkbeast Paarl, you walk up to him from behind (you have to come from Paarl or BSB, so he doesn't aggro with the minigun). I got to BSB fighting everything and was still able to come back later to talk to him (after Paarl).

addyb

I thought it was as long as you don't fight Djura prior to fighting Darkbeast Paarl, you walk up to him from behind (you have to come from Paarl or BSB, so he doesn't aggro with the minigun). I got to BSB fighting everything and was still able to come back later to talk to him (after Paarl).

It is this as I did it earlier today after asking on here. I went through old yharnam destroying everything in my path and went straight to BSB and beat him. I went back to cathedral ward and got bagman daddied and then beat paarl and headed back to the tower and had a nice chat with him.

It is this as I did it earlier today after asking on here. I went through old yharnam destroying everything in my path and went straight to BSB and beat him. I went back to cathedral ward and got bagman daddied and then beat paarl and headed back to the tower and had a nice chat with him.

The funny thing is, I don't think you even need to defeat Paarl from what I read when I did that sidequest.

I really need to finish the DLC. Xenoblade has been eating up all of my free time though. Didn't help that the DLC is so difficult (the last thing I remember was losing 60000+ echoes right after unlocking the shortcut back to the first lamp).

laxu

Struggling and in dire need of some advice on OoK. I'm having issues even getting him down to 50% health. I'm sl 125 and using either the LHB or HMB.

In first phase nearly every attack can be parried or dodged so that you can get at least one hit in. Use a fast weapon with decent reach (LHB and Kirkhammer 1H modes are a bit short for this). Bait his jump attack as you can just walk (not dodge) under him and then go for a backstab.

Phase 2 requires more luck as he has some rather nasty attacks but most can still be dodged. If he does the lightning attack, remember it comes from the Kos body on the beach so if you go to the arena entrance you can avoid it.

The main thing is to keep cool and staying fairly close so he doesn't use arcane attacks as much. Turning down the volume helps as OoK's screaming is quite aggravating.

addyb

The funny thing is, I don't think you even need to defeat Paarl from what I read when I did that sidequest.

I really need to finish the DLC. Xenoblade has been eating up all of my free time though. Didn't help that the DLC is so difficult (the last thing I remember was losing 60000+ echoes right after unlocking the shortcut back to the first lamp).

Sorry off topic but how is Xenoblade mate? I'm tempted to get it. I just need to stop playing this damn game :)

Just run the first chalice over and over. You get like 6 every time and it's such a tiny chalice. Its real easy to remember where the 3 switches are and then you just blast out the bosses and you're done.

Edit: Beat me to the punch :(

What's a good amount of insight to run around with? I'm still on my first run, I'm up to Nightmare Mensis and have a little over 30. I also have over 30 madman's knowledge as I've never used them. I've only bought the armor sets they sell with insight, but otherwise I have very little use for it since I'm playing offline.

I'm taking a lot of damage from the frenzy attacks, though equipping the frenzy res rune and armor helps.

gunbo13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdIQhtYLdBY

Wore some church gear, ate some pellet, tore up the clocktower girl. I hope Laurence is subscribed to my channel so he can see this...in hell. Hate that bastard.

She gave me a hard time in the middle. I was trying to use another BBP and she wouldn't have it.

EDIT:
I don't usually use items (BBPs) but for NG+4 with the boss health, I do. I did not for Laurence (due to how many one-hits he has) but I did use them to speed up getting past Ludwig's first form.

laxu

What's a good amount of insight to run around with? I'm still on my first run, I'm up to Nightmare Mensis and have a little over 30. I also have over 30 madman's knowledge as I've never used them. I've only bought the armor sets they sell with insight, but otherwise I have very little use for it since I'm playing offline.

I'm taking a lot of damage from the frenzy attacks, though equipping the frenzy res rune and armor helps.

With patch 1.09 you should use those Madman's knowledges and buy a blood rock and also grab the one in the level you're in. Two +10s is always nice to have. :)

If you have the DLC and haven't played it yet now might be a good time to play until the first boss and if you can't beat him then collect everything from the area before him as there's a bunch of cool weapons that you'd be wise to upgrade.

If you haven't you should play some of the chalice dungeons anyway at least to get the
Bone Ash armor set

gunbo13

That Maria fight reminded me of the Bayonetta Jeanne fight. It was great fun, even at NG+4.

I've never used a beast pellet. What do they do just enhance attack damage?
Higher attack but you take a lot more damage. Huge risk/reward. You need to know the fight or have a strategy.

Sorry off topic but how is Xenoblade mate? I'm tempted to get it. I just need to stop playing this damn game :)

I really like it so far. It's so easy to get sidetracked but I like the combat (a real evolution of the first game). I was already having a tough time deciding if Splatoon or Bloodborne would be my GotY, and it has jumped up there. But I don't want to go further off topic. Maybe check out the OT? It has some good info.

I will return to the Old Hunters sometime soon, as I need to acquire the Bow Blade since I started a third character for it.

addyb

That Maria fight reminded me of the Bayonetta Jeanne fight. It was great fun, even at NG+4.

Higher attack but you take a lot more damage. Huge risk/reward. You need to know the fight or have a strategy.

Thanks. Maybe I should test the waters with it.

I really like it so far. It's so easy to get sidetracked but I like the combat (a real evolution of the first game). I was already having a tough time deciding if Splatoon or Bloodborne would be my GotY, and it has jumped up there. But I don't want to go further off topic. Maybe check out the OT? It has some good info.

I will return to the Old Hunters sometime soon, as I need to acquire the Bow Blade since I started a third character for it.

Yeah I will visit the OT for it. Never played a Xenoblade before so it will be a fresh experience.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just watch his movements and dodge. There are very big telltale signs to a lot of his moves and they can be relatively easily parried.

If you're co oping for the love of God, draw his aggro but don't attack and let your buddy stagger and vicious attack him. He can do the same for you.

2nd form what I can suggest to make it easier is to try to stagger him from behind and get in a vicious attack as soon as he changes. That should make the fight somewhat easier. Other than that, you can do hit and runs. I just run and R2 him and back off and bide my time and repeat.

Rizific

im a little LttP with the dlc, but i had to start a new game in order to get to the new dlc. anyway after beating amelia i was around lv 30, went to dlc, got shrekt, then came back to main game to get to the suggested lv60. ludwig is kicking my ass. i can get him to 2nd phase now regularly, but 2nd phase is just ridiculous. ive tried watching guides, and most ive seen people are just so strong with large health pools and eat through his hp bar and face tank his hits and still win =/

With patch 1.09 you should use those Madman's knowledges and buy a blood rock and also grab the one in the level you're in. Two +10s is always nice to have. :)

If you have the DLC and haven't played it yet now might be a good time to play until the first boss and if you can't beat him then collect everything from the area before him as there's a bunch of cool weapons that you'd be wise to upgrade.

If you haven't you should play some of the chalice dungeons anyway at least to get the
Bone Ash armor set

Thanks.

I've done that. I cleared everything on the DLC before the machine gun. Including the huge guy that does some weird arcane attacks before the cathedral. I'm currently rocking the Rifle Spear +9 for big enemies with a Charge +24% and a Charge +16% with some + Attack gems. It's easy mode. Almost everything dies in 1 or 2 hits from a safe distance with the 2 handed charge attack (he took around 4 or 5 though). I did that at around level 65, got killed by that hunter with the boom hammer beyond the gattling gun and decided I probably wouldn't beat the boss at that level. Even though I managed to kill the other and got a Vermin, which I'm not sure what's for.

I'm lvl 85 now, so maybe I can do it now. Last night I was playing through the other nightmare level, cleared the whole thing, since I was clearly over leveled, but got reckd by Amydala in 1 hit. Didn't find any shortcuts either except an elevator to go back, but that seemed useless, so I'm not too thrilled to go through that again.

I've played the 3 chalice dungeons and I'm at layer 2 on the third. I think I bought that set, but I'm not sure how I got it to show up.

As for insight, I've read the game is easier if you have less, but you "see more stuff" if you have more. I honestly have no clue what a good number to run with is, but so far I'm not going out of my way to have more so I won't be using the madman's knowledge for the time being.

Also I'm probably playing the game wrong, but I have almost no use for bullets. I have the 650 in storage and it's very annoying when you can't pick up an item anymore, since you'll see the yellow glow later and think it's something useful. I very rarely shoot with the Rifle Spear funny enough and for mobs I'm using the Mercy Blades, mostly 2 handed. Right now I'm trying to get to 15 arcane to use the roar item to at least use bullets on something. It's probably a terrible idea though.

HORRORSHØW

I don't think that matters as long as you don't kill any on the run when you go to Djura from the "back". Before I did that I killed many beasts just trying to get to Djura and even attacked him. He only turns hostile if you approach from the front. Just going from the BSB lamp or Paarl lamp and taking the ladder shortcut next to the stairs that lead to Djura is enough.

i see. that's great to know. i always just ran past everything because screw the machine gun.
--
currently farming heavy abyssal gems and they are better than the 27% physical gems on my church pick.

Top Bottom