• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

AFAIK the lost/uncanny versions of the DLC weapons won't appear in the Chalice shop if you don't acquire the original, so you are still required to get it first from the DLC before being able to buy the weapon in Chalice.

Huh, could've sworn that I saw all of the DLC weapons when I visited a shop, although my memories foggy so it might've been after I got the Old Hunter's Essence trophy. Guess the sewer shark bros. are gonna get a visit after all. :/

Why are you grinding the lecture hall? Don't the Bloodbag enemies outside Cainhurst give like 10k each?

I finished Cainhurst the other day and those enemies only give out like 2k each. And they're annoying to kill. Seems like a terrible place to level up.

I'm currently working through Nightmare Mensis, I just killed the first boss. That area has some pigs that give out like 10k each, might be worth it to farm, but honestly the lecture hall is just so fast for 15k seals that I'm reluctant to try anything else.

I timed it, and including loading times starting from hunter's dream and ending back there, it only took me 1:20 to do the loop.

I have to say Nightmare Mensis is pretty fun. I went
to the level in between floors with the big brain guys that will give you frenzy and found some super sweet droplet gems and when killed those guys will sometimes drop them too. Might farm there for more gems. I also pulled a lever and dropped some huge brain down a shaft lol. Hopefully that was the guy shooting at me, though there's no need for me to go back to the first lamp in the level.

I also got a pretty sweet item that lets me heal for 7 bullets. Since I wasn't using bullets anyways, seems like a good trade in my book. A potion costs 720 (I usually use my spare echoes before heading somewhere new to buy as many as I can) and bullets sell for like 20, so 7 bullets really cost me only 140. And I've been missing many pick ups, because I have 650 stored already.

As for the DLC, the first boss kicked my ass. I managed to get the second form and got destroyed and I'm probably over leveled for it.

So uhhh

Street Sharks vs Winter Lanterns?

why do people evenly distribute their strength and skill?
for LHB you should go
stats to equip
skill to 25
str to 25
skill to 50
str to whatever?

you benefit from improved visceral attack damage and deal the same amount of damage with your lhb because the stat effects are linear and LHB has even scaling.
Well Winter Lanterns don't take 5 minutes to fight so I'd rather deal with those. Regarding the LHB I've never really ran a high strength character and I've always gotten a good amount of power out of the LHB till I stopped using the damn thing cause I've never beaten the game with it still on my character.

laxu

I finished Cainhurst the other day and those enemies only give out like 2k each. And they're annoying to kill. Seems like a terrible place to level up.

I'm currently working through Nightmare Mensis, I just killed the first boss. That area has some pigs that give out like 10k each, might be worth it to farm, but honestly the lecture hall is just so fast for 15k seals that I'm reluctant to try anything else.

I timed it, and including loading times starting from hunter's dream and ending back there, it only took me 1:20 to do the loop.

to the level in between floors with the big brain guys that will give you frenzy and found some super sweet droplet gems and when killed those guys will sometimes drop them too. Might farm there for more gems. I also pulled a lever and dropped some huge brain down a shaft lol. Hopefully that was the guy shooting at me, though there's no need for me to go back to the first lamp in the level.

I also got a pretty sweet item that lets me heal for 7 bullets. Since I wasn't using bullets anyways, seems like a good trade in my book. A potion costs 720 (I usually use my spare echoes before heading somewhere new to buy as many as I can) and bullets sell for like 20, so 7 bullets really cost me only 140. And I've been missing many pick ups, because I have 650 stored already.

As for the DLC, the first boss kicked my ass. I managed to get the second form and got destroyed and I'm probably over leveled for it.

Why aren't you using bold hunter's marks when farming? No need to go back to the dream in the middle. Are you using all Moon runes you have?

So uhhh

Street Sharks vs Winter Lanterns?

why do people evenly distribute their strength and skill?
for LHB you should go
stats to equip
skill to 25
str to 25
skill to 50
str to whatever?

you benefit from improved visceral attack damage and deal the same amount of damage with your lhb because the stat effects are linear and LHB has even scaling.

I have my skill at 50. Should I not go beyond that point? I could swear weapon damage continued to improve when I saw what 51 would do. I'm only at 40 health and 24 stamina, so I wanna throw some point there first, but why do people stop at 50?

Why aren't you using bold hunter's marks when farming? No need to go back to the dream in the middle. Are you using all Moon runes you have?

Because they're like 1200 a piece? And what would be the point? Running back probably takes less time than teleporting in the lecture hall. Obviously I'm using all the Moon runes I have (2). Or do enemies respawn if you use it?

Also to be clear I don't grind level after level, but if I'm 10k to 20k away form a level up and I'm already at the hunter's dream, then yeah, I'll do 1 or 2 runs to get that level and spend the leftover on potions. Grinding for the sake of grinding is just too boring and I can't be bothered to do it.

Perhaps a silly question: how big of a time commitment is this game?

I was thinking about jumping in at some point next year, but want to make sure I set aside enough time to get through it.

I was thinking about jumping in at some point next year, but want to make sure I set aside enough time to get through it.
I have 200 hours spread across 3 characters in this game. I'm already contemplating a fourth character but not anytime soon I think.

...Okay. That's great.

Maybe my question was obtuse. I'm really just wondering how big of a time commitment a first play-through is, as I have not played the game and was thinking of picking it up.
I think I'll finish my third character on something like 60 something hours cause I played a lot of chalice dungeons and went through the dlc. Hack off about 10 hours for that cause my current character has the same if not more hours on it than my last NG+ character.

laxu

I have my skill at 50. Should I not go beyond that point? I could swear weapon damage continued to improve when I saw what 51 would do. I'm only at 40 health and 24 stamina, so I wanna throw some point there first, but why do people stop at 50?

50 is the hard cap for everything except Endurance which caps at 40. After that for END you get nothing and for the others you get only a tiny bit. Arcane can be upped above 50 as it still scales for any spells and going above 50 on Vitality can be just enough to save you in a pinch. But generally I wouldn't go above 50 on anything as long as you have other stats that are below.

My current character is 55/40/50/50/50/55 at the moment in NG+. A single level costs over 500k echoes so it's not that easy to farm them anymore unless I go to NG++ which ups the echoes you get from enemies again.

Because they're like 1200 a piece? And what would be the point? Running back probably takes less time than teleporting in the lecture hall. Obviously I'm using all the Moon runes I have (2). Or do enemies respawn if you use it?

With Bold hunter's mark, you get to keep your blood echoes and anything you collected from the level. Enemies respawn and you respawn at the lamp you started from when you came from Hunter's dream. With the loading times in the game being what they are it's a lot faster to farm by using Bold hunter's marks. Spending some echoes on them pays off quickly and there's several to be found in the main game levels too.

If you're dropped the Brain of Mensis but haven't killed it yet, stand in front of it and perform the Make Contact gesture for 30 seconds to get the 3rd Moon rune. Then you can kill it.

laxu

Is there a particular area that's good for farming madman's knowledge? Wanna buy me some blood rocks.

Chalice dungeon bosses. You get some insight for reaching them and killing them. I don't know if there's a particularly quick dungeon that gives you a lot of insight. I've gotten lots (I think it's like 2 per run or something) just by trying to get good gems from
by68zgaj glyph Merciless Watchers

Also to be clear I don't grind level after level, but if I'm 10k to 20k away form a level up and I'm already at the hunter's dream, then yeah, I'll do 1 or 2 runs to get that level and spend the leftover on potions. Grinding for the sake of grinding is just too boring and I can't be bothered to do it.

Skill and Strength reach their hardcaps at 50, you can of course increase more, but the increase in AR would be so negligent compared to what else you can put your points on.
You don't really need any more stamina, 20 and a stamina rune is more than enough to get in and out and deal damage. High stamina would be at most situational, but i feel personally that those 20 points to 40 could be spent on increasing vitality to 50 (or more, if you wish). Are you planning to stop at a certain point for pvp or similar? Coop is very active 80-150, and i'd assume you'll still find players over that but not as much.

laxu

Depends largely on how good you are. If you've played previous Souls games then you might have an upper hand with this one but otherwise it'll take quite a while to learn the ropes. For me it was the first and I'd say it took me maybe 20-30 hours to get thru the main game (without delving much into the chalice dungeons)? I really don't know, by this time I've spend so much time with it.

Well I stent nearly 4 hours over the holiday break playing OoK and still no luck. I got him down to nearly a couple hit a handful of times, but I cannot get him to even 50% life normally. I think I've now tried to defeat him more times than O&S which topped my most frustrating battles. Maybe I just need a break for a bit.

gunbo13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9IiQwnMfjI

The Bowblade destroys lvl1 Logarius. It puts his attacks into hit stun and with my stamina, 6 arrows before I'm locked out. I actually could have been more effective but it was a breeze regardless. His lvl2 though, the arrows don't hit. He has that magical Fate Stay Night crap going on so I had to use the blade. Just did old fashion viscerals and cheesed him at the end with bullets. I didn't feel like dealing with his last hurrah crap.

Logarius is a push over compared to Laurence and Ludwig. Like a plush toy. It's insane the difference in scaling on NG+4 between the campaigns. Not to mention that the two L bosses go 1 and 2 in order.

Just as a refresher, quickly look at this shit compared to Logarius.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJhOPGPKSPM

I took out Ebriatas with ease in NG+3 so excited to see that comparison as well.

2L DLC bosses > bananas

Skill and Strength reach their hardcaps at 50, you can of course increase more, but the increase in AR would be so negligent compared to what else you can put your points on.
You don't really need any more stamina, 20 and a stamina rune is more than enough to get in and out and deal damage. High stamina would be at most situational, but i feel personally that those 20 points to 40 could be spent on increasing vitality to 50 (or more, if you wish). Are you planning to stop at a certain point for pvp or similar? Coop is very active 80-150, and i'd assume you'll still find players over that but not as much.

I haven't renewed my PS+, so I've been playing the whole game offline. I'm rocking the Mercy Blades which means sometimes I'm stamina starved against other hunters in the game or enemies that require a lot of dodging. I'm also using the Rifle Spear's 2 handed charge attack on big slow enemies, which can also benefit from more Stamina, so I'm definitely looking to spend some points there after I get Vit to 50.

I still don't know how you guys know 50 is the hardcap for Skill and Strength. Putting 1 more point in skill would increase my attack on both weapons by 1. In past levels it's been mostly 2, but also 1 sometimes, so I don't see how it's all that different. However I understand that the returns are lower, so I'll spend my points elsewhere first.

I've been thinking about spending more on Arcane to make use of those items I've been picking up. I have 15 and that Roar thing, but it sucks IMO. 18 lets me try a new one. Might go for that. Bloodtinge seems pretty useless for me so far, though the Chikage looks really cool.

DSmalls84

What triggers being able to buy Bloodstone Rocks from the Insight shop? I picked one up in the Old Hunters but they are not available to purchase.

laxu

So I've been doing a lot of chalice dungeon farming and I think the latest patch or some other one has reduced the chances of getting the 27% physical gems. I've probably taken out the merciless watchers in the recommended dungeons several dozen times by now and I think I've gotten a total of six 27% gems despite having max discovery (50+ Arcane and all 3 Eye runes), two of them are ATK down, two are HP depletes and the last two are the only good ones (kin down and stamina cost up).

All the rest I've gotten from that boss and a few other glyphs with the same dudes is 25% gems, many of them with crap curses too. Chunk drops seem to have gone from 2 to 1 for me as well.

Had the same experience trying to get the 31% bloodtinge gems, so far only two 30+% with horrid curses and the rest are maybe 26-28%.

The upside is that I've gotten so much insight I've bought like 3 blood rocks by now. I'm trying to get most weapons up to +9. So far got a +10 LHB, Rakuyo, Pizza Cutter, Amygdalan Arm, Church Pick and Burial Blade.

PS. Amygdalan Arm and Beast cutter are fantastic for Merciless Watchers. Those fat fucks can't do anything if you keep hitting them with the two handed mode just outside their reach. Especially Amygdalan Arm's charged R2 is killer since it's a 3 hitter with crush and area effect if performed when standing still.

Ducktail

Oops kinda misread the first post. That makes more sense.

Not even in the first phase? Why? If you kill them in the first phase you can just spend all your stamina attacking Rom without having to worry about the little ones. Best case scenario you can kill Rom in that first phase if you have good setup for it.

Because they don't do shit if you hit and run and that saves time. :p

She's hard if you're not that good at timing your dodges and parrying. She's easy if you are.

BTW, if you are routing via an AV receiver, I highly recommend instead routing straight to TV and then have it send audio to the AV receiver. I recently changed this and noticed a big difference in input lag (fuck my Denon receiver!).

I don't recommend doing this. You won't get support for any HD codecs like DolbyTrueHD if you do it that way. I don't know if Bloodborne specifically supports any, but other games do.

Dresden

...Okay. That's great.

Maybe my question was obtuse. I'm really just wondering how big of a time commitment a first play-through is, as I have not played the game and was thinking of picking it up.

My first playthrough took about twenty hours. It's not a long game if you just want to see the ending, though this is without the DLC included.

laxu

I don't recommend doing this. You won't get support for any HD codecs like DolbyTrueHD if you do it that way. I don't know if Bloodborne specifically supports any, but other games do.

True. I've only got a stereo speakers + subwoofer system so I don't mind that the optical out is downmixed to stereo. HDMI ARC doesn't seem to be able to do any better. Other AV receivers may pass video thru better but my Denon AVR-1610 is a piece of shit in so many ways.

No spoilers please;

After completing the DLC, can I go back and revisit bits I may have missed (with a guide) afterwards?

Yes, be sure to talk with the doll when you beat the third boss, for an aditional dialogue and later ehn you finish the DLC, there is little consecuences when you finish the DLC

Beat a defiled Isz chalice last night that contained Pthumerian Descendant, Ebrietas and Amygdala.
I've never unlocked the ability to do Defiled chalices...I don't think I've even done a Root version of a depth 5 chalice, I can't say I'm looking forward to that.

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
If this is your first souls game and the first boss only took you 5 tries, you're doing pretty good. What weapon are you using or do you plan to use? Vitality is never a wasted stat.

I took the cane, it was +1 when I fought the boss. I wasn't paying attention at all during the first few tries so I didn't realize I could briefly stun him to get a visceral attack until the last try.

My luck hasn't carried through to Father Gascoigne though. His werewolf form is ruining my day so I've decided to take a break for a bit haha.

My Vitality is 16. Then I put 4 points into strength to use the Kirkhammer but I'm starting to think that might have been a mistake.

Jombie

I've never unlocked the ability to do Defiled chalices...I don't think I've even done a Root version of a depth 5 chalice, I can't say I'm looking forward to that.

Some aren't that bad, some are a nightmare. Oddly enough, I have more trouble with some of the enemy bosses in the defiled chalices. I beat Ebrietas first try but I quit another dungeon because the Undead Giant with the cannon would one-shot me with EVERY attack. I don't get one hit killed with Ebreitas' charge but UG kicks me and takes 100% of my HP.

SkylineRKR

Chalice dungeon bosses. You get some insight for reaching them and killing them. I don't know if there's a particularly quick dungeon that gives you a lot of insight. I've gotten lots (I think it's like 2 per run or something) just by trying to get good gems from
by68zgaj glyph Merciless Watchers

Well you can run a glyph that has a blood rock in the first area and constantly grab Great One Wisdom from the chest. copy paste the glyph. Other than that, getting them along with gems is never bad.

Done! done!

Well, I haven't done all chalices, but I think I am done with this game. Finished the DLC, beat OOK and FireL. OOK was a genuinely intense fight, though I am not sure I loved it. By the end I thought I 'got' the logic, but the second phase felt a bit too unpredictable for my taste. FireL., I thought was not so hard, actually. Lava trick is annoying, but it's a rather consistent boss in its behavior. I still had the hardest time on the well.

Done! done!

Well, I haven't done all chalices, but I think I am done with this game. Finished the DLC, beat OOK and FireL. OOK was a genuinely intense fight, though I am not sure I loved it. By the end I thought I 'got' the logic, but the second phase felt a bit too unpredictable for my taste. FireL., I thought was not so hard, actually. Lava trick is annoying, but it's a rather consistent boss in its behavior. I still had the hardest time on the well.
You're not done till you get the platinum ;)

Novocaine

What level are you? The first room in the Ailing Loran Chalice gives about 30k and it's super easy.

Is there a particular area that's good for farming madman's knowledge? Wanna buy me some blood rocks.

I was doing the level 1 Pthumeru Chalice dungeon to farm insights for a spare Blood Rock. Costs 5k echoes and was taking me a little under 7 mins to clear all 3 layers for 6 insight per run.

You're not done till you get the platinum ;)

Lol. I am saying this, but I will probably get back to the chalice dungeons like tomorrow. I am starting to feel a bit burned out, though, even though I have felt that way before. I am not a big fan of grinding, so I hope I can get most of the materials without going through the same dungeons over and over (after basically never spending any of my insight and keeping most insight skulls, I went a bit insane after losing too many times to the well sharks and winter lanterns leading to them, and spent all my insight on rubbish like fire paper in order to increase my frenzy resistance. After that I spent 60 on a blood rock and just realized I probably should have kept some for material buying. Oh well.)

squidyj

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/315zhm/weapon_scaling_explained/
at 50 in an offensive stat you have 85% of the weapon scaling value for that stat. so from 51 to 99 you gain the remaining 15%

from 0-25 gives you the first 50% these are the most important points and called the 'soft cap'
26-50 gives another 35% and that takes you to the 'hard cap'
It's possible to get more AR from going higher but the returns are crap.

For Arcane builds the hunter tools (spells) like Tiny Tonitrus and Augur of Ebrietas continue to scale well even past 50 Arcane stat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/34zpxt/psa_arcane_build_hunter_tools_benefit_by_going_to/

ekimneems

Neo Member
L
aurence
is by far the hardest boss I've fought in this game. I don't want to summon and I think I need a break so I gave up for now and moved on to L
iving Failures
. They seem much easier (only tried them once and got them to 50%).

I'll beat the DLC and then come back for that fire-fisted asshole

BizzyBum

L
aurence
is by far the hardest boss I've fought in this game. I don't want to summon and I think I need a break so I gave up for now and moved on to L
iving Failures
. They seem much easier (only tried them once and got them to 50%).

I'll beat the DLC and then come back for that fire-fisted asshole

I've summoned someone for each fight except
Living Failures
. I have no shame. If I could summon 5 people like in Dark Souls 2 I would. Ain't got no time to beat some of these cheap bosses by myself.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Isz Fetid Rotten Cursed y592byza. Just go through the first bonus door on the right after the lamp, after the long hallway enter the door on the right, and then follow the path to the left, go on the ladder, kill the Watcher gunman enemy, open the bonus chest.

The bonus chest contains Lost Threaded Cane: afterwards just exit the dungeon and recreate it over and over to spawn Great One's Wisdom every single time in there afterwards. Very quick, very easy, much faster than boss farming, with virtually no chance of death.

Also, as a bonus (a HUGE one, especially if you are a bloodtinge build), that Watcher enemy? It drops the BEST possible bloodtinge gem in the game, with a potential for up to 31.2% Cursed Damp Bloodtinge Gems damage upgrade. Of course it is cursed so it depends on luck whether the one you get paired up with something lame like HP gradually depletes, but if you can get a negative effect like +3% stamina increase, you're golden (especially if you're using Lost Chikage). Or if you are planning to use it on guns, the -weapon durability effect is golden too since it doesn't affect guns.

The Watcher enemy can also sometimes drop Ritual Blood 5 or Warm Bloodtinge Gem, so equip your Eye Rune.

ekimneems

Neo Member
If I never really messed with Chalices (I think I did maybe 3 or 4 at most), is there a starter guide for getting me up to speed? I keep hearing about all these awesome gems and runes I can only get from Chalice Dungeons. Other problem is I'm in NG+ w/ The Old Hunters so I've only beaten Vicar in the main campaign.

Or are there some places in the main campaign I can farm for good gems and runes?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If I never really messed with Chalices (I think I did maybe 3 or 4 at most), is there a starter guide for getting me up to speed? I keep hearing about all these awesome gems and runes I can only get from Chalice Dungeons. Other problem is I'm in NG+ w/ The Old Hunters so I've only beaten Vicar in the main campaign.

Or are there some places in the main campaign I can farm for good gems and runes?

The only really viable place to farm gems (runes cannot be farmed as they are one time get only) are the Winter Lantern enemies (the brain enemy that sings) in the Nightmare of Mensis since they can drop 19% physical damage upgrade--Cursed tho, so it will always be paired up with a negative effect, but one of the negative effects is increase stamina +2% or around that so if you get that, you are golden--but it's RNG, yeah, so sometimes you can get something really lame like attack down vs. beast or something,

The best gems that you can find in the main game are also located in Mensis. 21.6% bloodtinge gem, 18% physical damage upgrade gems, etc etc. But yeah, if you want the best of the best, there's no other way but to go to Chalice.

ekimneems

Neo Member
The only really viable place to farm gems (runes cannot be farmed as they are one time get only) are the Winter Lantern enemies (the brain enemy that sings) in the Nightmare of Mensis since they can drop 19% physical damage upgrade--Cursed tho, so it will always be paired up with a negative effect, but one of the negative effects is increase stamina +2% or around that so if you get that, you are golden--but it's RNG, yeah, so sometimes you can get something really lame like attack down vs. beast or something,

The best gems that you can find in the main game are also located in Mensis. 21.6% bloodtinge gem, 18% physical damage upgrade gems, etc etc. But yeah, if you want the best of the best, there's no other way but to go to Chalice.

Cool, thanks. I think those main story gems are good enough. I have 3 of those 19-21% ones already so I guess I can always just swap those into my current weapon and convince myself I don't need the best of the best.

I just got 'Nam-style flashbacks thinking about those Mother Brains. So terrifying, and I think I had a harder time with those than I did several of the bosses.

I hope I can get a quick answer on this...

I'm on my first playthrough of Bloodborne (no New Game or New Game +) and I'm right before the Vicar fight. If I buy the DLC can I access the new area after doing the steps to access it on my normal game or is New Game and higher required?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I hope I can get a quick answer on this...

I'm on my first playthrough of Bloodborne (no New Game or New Game +) and I'm right before the Vicar fight. If I buy the DLC can I access the new area after doing the steps to access it on my normal game or is New Game and higher required?

You are only required to touch Laurence's skull after Vicar Amelia fight and warp back to the dream to get the Eye and then let the Cathedral's Amygdala to grab you. No requirements beyond that (doesn't matter if you are in NG or NG+ or NG++ or whatever).

If you are doing it as soon as you are able it can be really, really tough tho. It's definitely high-level content.

You are only required to touch Laurence's skull after Vicar Amelia fight and warp back to the dream to get the Eye and then let the Cathedral's Amygdala to grab you. No requirements beyond that (doesn't matter if you are in NG or NG+ or NG++ or whatever).

If you are doing it as soon as you are able it can be really, really tough tho. It's definitely high-level content.

I know it's tough content. I just wanted to make sure if I bought it that it's accessible on a normal playthrough and not locked behind New Game or anything.

Top Bottom