• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Is me no longer fearing Winter Lanterns a sign that I've played too much Bloodborne? They can be a nuisance, but they don't really make me run and hide or anything anymore.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is me no longer fearing Winter Lanterns a sign that I've played too much Bloodborne? They can be a nuisance, but they don't really make me run and hide or anything anymore.

Yeah, they're not scary anymore for me as well. Rather easy to stagger, quite easy to parry, and if you're carrying something like Evelyn/Repeating Pistol/Bowblade you can even leisurely shoot them from afar.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Started doing the Chalice Dungeons to get to the Queen. Just created the Depth 4 Defiled Chalice.

This feels like Dark Souls: VR Missions. In a good way.

Yeah, they're not scary anymore for me as well. Rather easy to stagger, quite easy to parry, and if you're carrying something like Evelyn/Repeating Pistol/Bowblade you can even leisurely shoot them from afar.
I still melee them, but I usually just pause for a second or if I know they're going to be there equip the frenzy rune and Crow set and just hack away at them with something quick like the BoM and then dodge out when they're about to do their grab attack. I'm only really afraid of those damn Street Sharks, but I at least know how to parry them now, hate the well though still. In fact they're the only hard enemies in Fishing Hamlet. The normal grunts go down hard and fast to a +9 cane with fire gems.

Jombie

I'm on the second floor of Defiled and I need to remember to take the fire gems out of my Threaded Cane. I hit Laurence with that fucking thing yesterday and only did fucking 67 damage. I was like "well that makes sense."

The cane is one of the few weapons I've used sparingly.

I'm quite sure I can get through most of that dungeon using the Rakuyo, but I've only really been able to defeat Defiled Watchdog using the cane, even the vanilla version is easier for me with the cane. Cane puts in work for me though. It's gotten a lot of use on 3 characters. The real struggle for me will be when I do like a Str/Arc character or something. I guess I'll be maining the Spin2Win axe until I get the LHB, Tonitrus or Whirligig Saw or something. Won't exactly feel like the same game to me though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I've used the Cane to get my Platinum all the way in the main game and the Chalice.

With this new character I avoid using it since I was using it for so long and yet that Beast Cutter is sooo tempting since it's basically a strength cane, hahahah.

Now I mainly use Rakuyo and Simon's Bowblade, with Evelyn and Repeating Pistol as my firearms. Occasionally I traded out Rakuyo for Whirligig, I have enough gems anyway to power them all up so why not. All of them are already +10, of course.

Currently I am in the middle of trying to figure out which weapon to power up next.. I am gravitating towards Beast Cutter but that Amygdalan Arm seems really interesting... or maybe Boom Hammer...? Hmm. People are going crazy for Holy Moonlight Sword but I am not really feeling it, to be honest.

Jombie

I'm quite sure I can get through most of that dungeon using the Rakuyo, but I've only really been able to defeat Defiled Watchdog using the cane, even the vanilla version is easier for me with the cane. Cane puts in work for me though. It's gotten a lot of use on 3 characters. The real struggle for me will be when I do like a Str/Arc character or something. I guess I'll be maining the Spin2Win axe until I get the LHB, Tonitrus or Whirligig Saw or something. Won't exactly feel like the same game to me though.

My current character is a str/arc build, mainly for the HMS. It's fun to use but the bread and butter for me is the untransformed r2 - especially since I found a 31 atk up gem for thrust attacks. LHB is probably the overall best weapon for many of the defiled bosses; that charge and l2 is just a boss killer.

My current character is a str/arc build, mainly for the HMS. It's fun to use but the bread and butter for me is the untransformed r2 - especially since I found a 31 atk up gem for thrust attacks. LHB is probably the overall best weapon for many of the defiled bosses; that charge and l2 is just a boss killer.
I have barely used those weapons. I've used them yes, but they just never stay on my character. I find the speed of the Moonlight Sword too slow so I just stopped using it. I used the LHB on my skill/arcane character but stopped using that as well. I can just never bring myself to invest too heavily in the slower weapons. Meanwhile I have a +9 Cane, BoM and Rakuyo. I have a +7 Moonlight Sword, but I kind of regret wasting the chunks on it, I don't mind the transform mode cause I'm just assuming that mode scales with arcane and not strength like the regular mode?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I am trying to go into this game as blind as can be. Is the DLC something that can wait until a sale or does it integrate nicely into the main game?

Has it been on sale yet? Maybe soon, any word? Or should I just get the dlc now? I got the disc version of bloodborne and my ps4 today.

Excited..

Two handed scales with arcane and str, the special attacks are pure arcane.
Oh ok. I really should up my str when I take that character into NG+ arcane as well since I just left it at 40 to get access to A Call Beyond, wish that shit was more accurate though. Half my attacks just hit the floor when I use it.

DSmalls84

Any tips for fighting the orphan? Does he have a weakness or is their a certain resist I should stack? This boss is a real asshole lol.

KRaZyAmmo

Any tips for fighting the orphan? Does he have a weakness or is their a certain resist I should stack. This boss is a real asshole lol.

Parry. He's parryable in both phases. I stayed patient and always attack him after he did his attack. Of course keep dodging. But parrying is the way to go with him.

Roussow

I remember seeing EpicNameBro wasn't doing an Old Hunters playthrough, anyone know of any other people on Youtube that do similar playthroughs? thorough, well versed -- not just a let's play.

I remember seeing EpicNameBro wasn't doing an Old Hunters playthrough, anyone know of any other people on Youtube that do similar playthroughs? thorough, well versed -- not just a let's play.
Why isn't he doing a playthrough? I mean yeah he's quite busy and he's been playing the shit out of Dark Souls though so that might explain it.

gogosox82

A German Spy is very good. He worked on the Old Hunters Guide along with ENB so he's knows his stuff.

Why isn't he doing a playthrough? I mean yeah he's quite busy and he's been playing the shit out of Dark Souls though so that might explain it.

I think he got burned out on it. I remember when he was doing his reckfest series where he's trying to play through the game as a BL4 and not die once and he just seemed to be getting tired of playing it. I think he even said he needed to take a break from Bloodborne. He does that a lot. I'm surprised he hasn't disappeared again like he usually does when he gets burned out.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Parry. He's parryable in both phases. I stayed patient and always attack him after he did his attack. Of course keep dodging. But parrying is the way to go with him.

I am under the impression that attempting to parry him, especially in his 2nd phase, is very dangerous. Backstabbing him is where it's at, especially since he has quite a number of attacks that jump over your head.

I think he got burned out on it. I remember when he was doing his reckfest series where he's trying to play through the game as a BL4 and not die once and he just seemed to be getting tired of playing it. I think he even said he needed to take a break from Bloodborne. He does that a lot. I'm surprised he hasn't disappeared again like he usually does when he gets burned out.
Nobody told the man to attempt the fucking impossible. He'd probably on air pick up his PS4 and smash that shit if he attempted that insanity with the dlc.

The Soulsborne community is filled with drama queens.

A German Spy is very good. He worked on the Old Hunters Guide along with ENB so he's knows his stuff.

His wife had a miscarriage. Thats why he's distancing himself from BB for a bit. Makes sense with all the themes of children dying and unborn fetuses in the game. Must have been difficult working on the guide with that hanging over his head. If I were him I would have done the same. If you call that being a drama queen then youve got serious problems.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nobody told the man to attempt the fucking impossible. He'd probably on air pick up his PS4 and smash that shit if he attempted that insanity with the dlc.

From what I know, I think he's just tired of all the shenanigans some of the fans throw at him due to his involvement in the official guide, so it's kind of he wants to move on from that.

It's such a shame. I really do favor him over guys like Vaati.

His wife had a miscarriage. Thats why he's distancing himself from BB for a bit. Makes sense with all the themes of children dying and unborn fetuses in the game. Must have been difficult working on the guide with that hanging over his head. If I were him I would have done the same. If you call that being a drama queen then youve got serious problems.

Oh wow O_O Sorry to hear that :((((

Oh god, the poor guy I don't even know when that happened. Shit...I can't blame him then, I enjoyed his playthrough of Bloodborne, I was looking forward to a dlc playthrough.

gogosox82

Wow I had no idea. Father G's daughter storyline must have been really rough on him. With that said, he did put out a lot of content for the game. He did a full playthrough/lore guide and he did reckfast which was like 20 videos or something. That's quite a of content so he must have really liked the game despite what happened to him personally. Maybe playing the game was a way for him to not think about it. I do remember him saying that he was tired of playing Bloodborne in a video so that's why I brought it up. Had no idea about the miscarriage.

Edit: What the hell? I'm not calling him a drama queen. Where the hell did you get that from? I honestly don't know much about his personal life other than he used to teach in Japan and is married with a daughter so I'm honestly shocked to learn about the miscarriage. I prefer him to Vaati and the others personally (though I honestly never really liked Vaati) and would love it if he wanted to make more videos but I totally understand that family comes first and would want to rush into doing anything he didn't want to do.

Wow I had no idea. Father G's daughter storyline must have been really rough on him. With that said, he did put out a lot of content for the game. He did a full playthrough/lore guide and he did reckfast which was like 20 videos or something. That's quite a of content so he must have really liked the game despite what happened to him personally. Maybe playing the game was a way for him to not think about it. I do remember him saying that he was tired of playing Bloodborne in a video so that's why I brought it up. Had no idea about the miscarriage.

Edit: What the hell? I'm not calling him a drama queen. Where the hell did you get that from? I honestly don't know much about his personal life other than he used to teach in Japan and is married with a daughter so I'm honestly shocked to learn about the miscarriage. I prefer him to Vaati and the others personally (though I honestly never really liked Vaati) and would love it if he wanted to make more videos but I totally understand that family comes first and would want to rush into doing anything he didn't want to do.

I was referring to another person not you specifically. Sorry I should have been more clear.

EDIT: Also to be more clear I believe this happened while he was working on the Old Hunter's Guide not the main game.

Houndi101

Any idea when I should wait for a sale on Old Hunters DLC?
Should I restart the whole game when I get the dlc? I'm a bit past the
eclipse style event and have just killed the three red phantoms in the chappel, fist weapons and whips etc
Should I be afraid of Souls fatigue if I just yesterday completed DS2?

laxu

If I never really messed with Chalices (I think I did maybe 3 or 4 at most), is there a starter guide for getting me up to speed? I keep hearing about all these awesome gems and runes I can only get from Chalice Dungeons. Other problem is I'm in NG+ w/ The Old Hunters so I've only beaten Vicar in the main campaign.

Or are there some places in the main campaign I can farm for good gems and runes?

There was a chalice dungeon guide link as well as glyph spreadsheets posted some pages back. Basically to be able to farm the best stuff you'd have to do all the fixed ones except Hintertombs. Aside from a few really nasty bosses, the defiled chalice (half health) is going to be the hardest. I went thru them in NG+ myself. Most of the farming is also done in half health chalices.

In the main campaign Nightmare of Mensis Winter Lanterns and Fishing Hamlet Winter Lanterns are the best spots.

daedalius

Blood starved beast is so fucking annoying. Am I doing something wrong going for visceral attacks? Every time I get him low I get some bullshit RNG charge where he grabs me and eats my face or I just land a bullet where I think it will stagger him and he just doesn't.

Getting pretty tired of fighting this fuck

Tried the pungent blood, dick of course lunged out of my power attacks every time. This fight is just annoying as shit.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Blood starved beast is so fucking annoying. Am I doing something wrong going for visceral attacks? Every time I get him low I get some bullshit RNG charge where he grabs me and eats my face or I just land a bullet where I think it will stagger him and he just doesn't.

Tried the pungent blood, dick of course lunged out of my power attacks every time. This fight is just annoying as shit.

AFAIK you can *only* parry visceral her one attack where she raised her right hand slowly before swiping, and her jumping charge attack. The first is quite easy to pull off although the heat of battle can affect your judgment, and the second is incredibly dangerous since you will incur huge damage if you miss the timing.

When fighting her, *dodge forward*. I can't stress this enough: *dodge forward*, and immediately rush her and get a few swipes in before jumping back and get ready for her next attack. She's a lot more manageable that way.

daedalius

AFAIK you can *only* parry visceral her one attack where she raised her right hand slowly before swiping, and her jumping charge attack. The first is quite easy to pull off although the heat of battle can affect your judgment, and the second is incredibly dangerous since you will incur huge damage if you miss the timing.

When fighting her, *dodge forward*. I can't stress this enough: *dodge forward*, and immediately rush her and get a few swipes in before jumping back and get ready for her next attack. She's a lot more manageable that way.

I don't understand what dodging forward is going to do for me other than get me killed faster.

Somehow this boss is more annoying than fume knight and ds1 DLC boss. How is that even possible?

laxu

Don't try to get viscerals, use fire paper and have antidotes ready. It's been a while since I've fought it so can't say if dodging forward is the way to go though. You have to remember that if you dodge at the right moment you are essentially invulnerable for a few frames so that's why dodging forward might work.

squidyj

stay close, circle to your left and dodge around the side, welcome to easy mode.
you can dodge through her short and long dash attack (where she raises the arm up) and constantly circling while staying close will defuse her leap attack.
you can get behind all of the attacks.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I don't understand what dodging forward is going to do for me other than get me killed faster.

Somehow this boss is more annoying than fume knight and ds1 DLC boss. How is that even possible?

Hahaha.

It will allow you to evade her attacks and put you in an advantageous position where you can initiate attacks on her. Use fast weapons if possible: don't use charged attacks, generally speaking she is just way too fast for you to connect charged attacks other than being lucky, so normal attacks should be your main way of attacking. In my experience, dodging sideways will still allow her to hit you considering many of her attacks are in sweeping, sideways motion---especially in her berserk mode--so dodging forward is the best bet.

This tactic managed to get me through the fight against her in Ailing Loran with very little item/resource consumption. It's a bit nerve-wrecking still tho, to be honest, hahaha.

Dodge forward from its right side as soon as it starts it's attack. Then strike. This boss can't really attack you while you're behind it. It has to reset.

As others said: don't try to visceral unless you tend to be very good at it. You can use fire paper if you want but it's not required. Try to constantly circle it (you want to be at its 3 o clock). When it raises its paw, dodge onto its side. Practice a few times without using any blood vials, trying to stay as close to it as possible and living as long as possible. Eventually, it clicks, and BSB poses no more threat. I had a very hard time on my first playthrough, at some point it just clicked and I just beat it. in NG+ it didn't touch me once.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Micolash, host of nightmares is probably the worst boss fight in a video game, ever. Terrible design and just 100% cheap tactics. I think Ive had enough of this game because of him.

He is next to impossible to kill alone, with his one shot kill magic and cooperators are useless. I've tried to kill him for 2 days now and I think I hate bloodborne now.

Yo, I'm watching A German Spy's Old Hunters playthrough and he recommended minimum level 90 with a +9 weapon at the minimum. I guess we were given wrong information leading up to the release of the dlc. One of AGS's buds took on the dlc at level 40...I have to see that stream, holy shit.

Drencrom

Micolash, host of nightmares is probably the worst boss fight in a video game, ever. Terrible design and just 100% cheap tactics. I think Ive had enough of this game because of him.

He is next to impossible to kill alone, with his one shot kill magic and cooperators are useless. I've tried to kill him for 2 days now and I think I hate bloodborne now.

AWWOOOOOOOOO!

I personally loved that boss fight even though I got my ass handed to me a few times before I beat him (played solo). You need to stay close to him and either interrupt or dodge his multi projectile arcane attack.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
AWWOOOOOOOOO!

I personally loved that boss fight even though I got my ass handed to me a few times before I beat him (played solo). You need to stay close to him and either interrupt or dodge his multi projectile arcane attack.

You can't interrupt it. It shoots out anyway.

NEO0MJ

AWWOOOOOOOOO!

He's cute the first time, but later on it becomes "fuck, not this guy again"

tumblr_nnw3yhrsaq1tdk422o1_1280.jpg

Oni Jazar

Old Hunters is done 100%! (NG+ starting at lvl 120) L
aurence
was a pain, took me maybe 25 tries before I bested him, but it felt soooo good. The beasts were the hardest for me. The humans were more fun to fight but they were less of a challenge especially with dat pizza stagger.

I have only one trophy left for plat but I'm so burned out from boss fights. I got to Amygdala in the dungeons and had to take a break. Maybe one day I'll go back and finish.

All in all I gotta say that Bloodborne takes GOTY for me. I was completely enraptured by the setting and gameplay of it all. So many great moments and an awesome challenge. I hope that Sony / From software returns to Yharnam soon enough!

But until then, bring on DS3!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm on the second floor of Defiled and I need to remember to take the fire gems out of my Threaded Cane. I hit Laurence with that fucking thing yesterday and only did fucking 67 damage. I was like "well that makes sense."

For gems that say "Add Fire" or "Add Arcane", that doesn't replace your normal attack power, right? Does a weapon have to only have one attribute of attack at once?

myco666

Yo, I'm watching A German Spy's Old Hunters playthrough and he recommended minimum level 90 with a +9 weapon at the minimum. I guess we were given wrong information leading up to the release of the dlc. One of AGS's buds took on the dlc at level 40...I have to see that stream, holy shit.

+9 weapon sure since you can get +9 weapon immediately after Vicar Amelia but lvl90 minimum? IMO lvl50 is the minimum for starting the DLC and I would recommend to be at 60-75 range for the first time. lvl90 will pretty much overpower everything except the last boss.

You can't interrupt it. It shoots out anyway.

Yes you can. You just have to be very quick about it. Much easier to just hug him and he won't use it at all.

lol I thought One Reborn was a joke with the simon bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4kxMJq0-gI

No damage on NG+4. Safe spamming. GG Amgydala. Even tearing your arms off can't reach me.

Yeah Bowblade is 'broken'. Makes bunch of bosses waaayy easier.

Top Bottom