• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

gunbo13

Forgot to mention, you can easily beat the sharks with the simon bow to get the Rakuyo. Just take 1-2 shots per dodge and rotate the pillar.

Bloodborne - NG+4 - Celestial Nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT0f4HwKomQ

Ugh....

Bloodborne - NG+4 - Ebritas Daughter of Arrows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1aCpwdFPsA

Well then. She can do almost one-shots but notice I'm running paper armor. I wanted no damage but this is good enough. Bow blade is massive OP for bosses thus far.

Yeah Bowblade is 'broken'. Makes bunch of bosses waaayy easier.
I'll probably drop it if I go to NG+5. It is way too broken. Except maybe I'll get some DLC payback...

For gems that say "Add Fire" or "Add Arcane", that doesn't replace your normal attack power, right? Does a weapon have to only have one attribute of attack at once?
Once you add arcane gems be it arcane, bolt or fire you pretty much don't do physical damage, it converts to elemental damage. I think it works a little bit differently on the Burial Blade cause I can actually do both types of damage, but it doesn't seem to fully replace physical damage and the elemental damage wasn't that great. I'll have to try that on my current arcane character though cause I have a better understanding of arcane and elemental gem set ups than I did when I just put some bolt gem on it, with putting on other bolt gems to further power up the weapon. Pretty much on one character I have a bolt gem with two other physical gems on there with physical gems doing the bulk of the damage. I can switch up some gems on the fire cane that will allow some physical damage as well, but it's only like a measly 6 or something physical rating.
+9 weapon sure since you can get +9 weapon immediately after Vicar Amelia but lvl90 minimum? IMO lvl50 is the minimum for starting the DLC and I would recommend to be at 60-75 range for the first time. lvl90 will pretty much overpower everything except the last boss.
He really is plowing through shit to be honest. I haven't seen him deal with Ludwig yet, but the enemies are only taking a few hits to go down. A German Spy's fight against Ludwig was fucking laughable. I spent more time watching the intro and middle cutscenes than I spent watching the actual fight. +10 Whirligig Saw, fire paper and beast blood pellets completely broke that shit.

cheesekao

For gems that say "Add Fire" or "Add Arcane", that doesn't replace your normal attack power, right? Does a weapon have to only have one attribute of attack at once?
It definitely does. All weapons with physical only attacks will be replaced with fire/bolt/arcane if slot in a gem of those types and the weapon will scale with arcane at that point. However, weapons with physical and elemental attacks (i.e. blades of mercy and the boom hammer) keep their physical damage even if fire or arcane gems are slotted in.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That makes sense.

Third slot on my Normal Rakuyo is a flimsy little +9% damage but it seems better than all those higher rated elemental and poison gems.

That makes sense.

Third slot on my Normal Rakuyo is a flimsy little +9% damage but it seems better than all those higher rated elemental and poison gems.
You're probably not an arcane character and the Rakuyo isn't the best weapon for arcane builds, it's a straight up skill weapon. Funny enough in the fishing hamlet my fire whip took out the enemies in two, three hits max meanwhile if I put in higher rated physical gems they'd take four to five if not more, especially if I used bolt gems.

myco666

He really is plowing through shit to be honest. I haven't seen him deal with Ludwig yet, but the enemies are only taking a few hits to go down. A German Spy's fight against Ludwig was fucking laughable. I spent more time watching the intro and middle cutscenes than I spent watching the actual fight. +10 Whirligig Saw, fire paper and beast blood pellets completely broke that shit.

Well that combo should destroy pretty much anything on NG. It does wonders even on NG+.

gogosox82

I was referring to another person not you specifically. Sorry I should have been more clear.

EDIT: Also to be more clear I believe this happened while he was working on the Old Hunter's Guide not the main game.

Oh I see. I did see you quoted someone who said that. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Blood starved beast is so fucking annoying. Am I doing something wrong going for visceral attacks? Every time I get him low I get some bullshit RNG charge where he grabs me and eats my face or I just land a bullet where I think it will stagger him and he just doesn't.

Getting pretty tired of fighting this fuck

Tried the pungent blood, dick of course lunged out of my power attacks every time. This fight is just annoying as shit.

You can actually just dodge to her left (or walk under her attack sometimes) and she usually won't hit you. I think I have a video of fighting BSB in the chalice dungeouns I can upload to yt to give you an idea. Though I always thought the passive poison debuff she gets in the third stage is bunch of nonsense.

Edit: Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO8bzng-3XE

Like I said you can usually either dodge or walk to her left and she won't hit you most of the time.

Well that combo should destroy pretty much anything on NG. It does wonders even on NG+.
I really have to do a strength build and main the Beast Cutter and Whirligig Saw don't I. That Pizza Cutter serves up too much cheese.
This sums up his fight against Laurence during the second phase:
giphy.gif

myco666

I really have to do a strength build and main the Beast Cutter and Whirligig Saw don't I. That Pizza Cutter serves up too much cheese.
This sums up his fight against Laurence during the second phase:

That combo is really good. Like really good. Main game Str weapons aren't nearly as good as the DLC Str weapons. And yeah that second phase is easy with Whirligig Saw. Not as easy as with Bowblade but really easy still.

That combo is really good. Like really good. Main game Str weapons aren't nearly as good as the DLC Str weapons. And yeah that second phase is easy with Whirligig Saw. Not as easy as with Bowblade but really easy still.
Those are pretty much the strength weapons I want to use the most so it's good to know it's a good combo. I don't even have to get too far into the dlc to access them either. Guess I can just use the Hunters Axe to get me through everything else in the mean time. Though oh my god going through the dlc of the beginning at too low of a level would not be entertaining. Granted I've gotten pretty good at parrying the hunters at least.

hey Blood-gaf, could use some help...making my final push to the Queen in the chalice dungeons and stuck on Amy in the last level of the defiled chalice. Anyone wanna help?? my PSN is PAYBACK-SXE....character is level 178, thanks!!!

myco666

Those are pretty much the strength weapons I want to use the most so it's good to know it's a good combo. I don't even have to get too far into the dlc to access them either. Guess I can just use the Hunters Axe to get me through everything else in the mean time. Though oh my god going through the dlc of the beginning at too low of a level would not be entertaining. Granted I've gotten pretty good at parrying the hunters at least.

Well you can always just run. I entered the DLC at lvl15 last time and I got killed so fast even by the crows that I just decided to run for the Beast Cutter, Amy Arm and Whirligig Saw. Was fun to try out +7 Whirligig Saw against BSB.

Well you can always just run. I entered the DLC at lvl15 last time and I got killed so fast even by the crows that I just decided to run for the Beast Cutter, Amy Arm and Whirligig Saw. Was fun to try out +7 Whirligig Saw against BSB.
Damn you must be good. I can't even imagine clearing some of those bosses at level 15, especially Amelia.

myco666

Damn you must be good. I can't even imagine clearing some of those bosses at level 15, especially Amelia.

Well only bosses I needed to beat before her was CB and FG. Those aren't really all that bad at starting levels. Saved the Echoes from those fights and bought the Emblem and went to Amelia. I have Amelia fight uploaded to YT. Really sloppy run but still managed it.

gunbo13

Bloodborne - NG+4 - Micolash Bowblade is Broken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH8LArWDng4

Bloodborne - NG+4 - Gehrman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--U22Mv0y5o

Bloodborne - NG+4 - Moon Presence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npv8qNf4oXE

Micolash is bugged out with bowblade. Gehrman has forms that become useless. However, Moon Presence had my number a few times (as seen in my failure to trim the video properly). Massive range and speed.

Overall, the most broken weapon in the game. The bowblade completely voids boss forms. Now to wake up the doll up on NG+5 so I can use my souls...hate this part.

daedalius

Oh I see. I did see you quoted someone who said that. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

You can actually just dodge to her left (or walk under her attack sometimes) and she usually won't hit you. I think I have a video of fighting BSB in the chalice dungeouns I can upload to yt to give you an idea. Though I always thought the passive poison debuff she gets in the third stage is bunch of nonsense.

Edit: Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO8bzng-3XE

Like I said you can usually either dodge or walk to her left and she won't hit you most of the time.

I'll try to just dodge around to the left with firepaper later tonight, I guess I should have just tried that before. Got stuck up on trying the visceral attacks from reading the wiki, should have just gone with the standard circle dodge I use on all souls bosses, lol.

Threaded cane looks like a really solid weapon. Might have to check that out instead of kirkhammer.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Overall, the most broken weapon in the game. The bowblade completely voids boss forms. Now to wake up the doll up on NG+5 so I can use my souls...hate this part.

I think she is already awake if you have >0 insight. If not, go out then go back in again. Thats how I remember it for NG+ anyway.

Micolash is bugged out with bowblade. Gehrman has forms that become useless. However, Moon Presence had my number a few times (as seen in my failure to trim the video properly). Massive range and speed.

That shit is broken. Seems less fun than taking them out with melee means though.

myco666

Yeah the Bowblade is pretty stupid weapon. Blade form is fun to use but the Bow form is just super boring and makes every boss stupidly easy. Only boss that it doesn't really affect is Witches as you still need to get pretty close to them in order to hit them.

gogosox82

I'll try to just dodge around to the left with firepaper later tonight, I guess I should have just tried that before. Got stuck up on trying the visceral attacks from reading the wiki, should have just gone with the standard circle dodge I use on all souls bosses, lol.

Threaded cane looks like a really solid weapon. Might have to check that out instead of kirkhammer.

Threaded cane is really good. Highly recommended. People like to say it does no damage but I think the damage is fine especially with 50 skill and its fun to use.

Seems kinda boring. That's basically my issue with the bowblade. Sword moveset is boring and bow part does a lot of damage but its kind of boring just standing there shooting people. Guess the weapon just isn't for me which is a shame since i like basically all the weapons in the game that I've tried.

Theman2k

I'm planning to get the DLC, but everyone in here says it's too hard.
I have a game save where i only need to kill the moon presence and i'll get the third (and my last) ending. Now i'm doing chalices only to kill the queen which is the only second trophy missing apart the third ending.

should I play the DLC now ? finish the DLC and chalices and only then kill the moon presence for the platinum ?

I am not sure but this thread made me believe that the DLC is unplayable in NG+.
And if I won't play it now (before my first NG+) it will scale way more then i can handle later.

I'm planning to get the DLC, but everyone in here says it's too hard.
I have a game save where i only need to kill the moon presence and i'll get the third (and my last) ending. Now i'm doing chalices only to kill the queen which is the only second trophy missing apart the third ending.

should I play the DLC now ? finish the DLC and chalices and only then kill the moon presence for the platinum ?

I am not sure but this thread made me believe that the DLC is unplayable in NG+.
And if I won't play it now (before my first NG+) it will scale way more then i can handle later.
Yes do the dlc before you beat the game and switch over to NG+ You'll probably be able to cake walk a good amount of it since you're at a high level with a +10 weapon and pretty good gems, you should be fine. It's playable in NG+ but you have to work your way past Amelia and everything gets a health boost. It's not impossible, just a bit harder. I have a Chikage build in there and she wasn't doing too badly, first boss is still a challenge though.

Theman2k

Yes do the dlc before you beat the game and switch over to NG+ You'll probably be able to cake walk a good amount of it since you're at a high level with a +10 weapon and pretty good gems, you should be fine. It's playable in NG+ but you have to work your way past Amelia and everything gets a health boost. It's not impossible, just a bit harder. I have a Chikage build in there and she wasn't doing too badly, first boss is still a challenge though.

start the DLC then WHILE in the DLC go NG+?
The DLC won't scale if I turn to NG+ after I started it in the first playthrough ?

Dude, thanks so much for the help!
And thanks for the patience and good will :D
No problem. Also collect everything from the dlc in the first go around. There's a lot of stuff in there that I'm never going to want to deal with on NG+ or ever again for that matter. I think if my character won't need it I won't be getting it again on another character unless it's like a set of blood chunks and the blood rock or something.

gunbo13

I think she is already awake if you have >0 insight. If not, go out then go back in again. Thats how I remember it for NG+ anyway.
Yep, I realized once I got to the first lamp. It has been months since I did a run. Just went to dream twice and she woke up.
That shit is broken. Seems less fun than taking them out with melee means though.
Yeah the Bowblade is pretty stupid weapon. Blade form is fun to use but the Bow form is just super boring and makes every boss stupidly easy.
Seems kinda boring. That's basically my issue with the bowblade.
It could actually be a cool weapon but the game isn't balanced for it.

This shadows fight was really fun for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTSgKzxwPUs

But yes, it is totally broken. I just put it down after taking out Moon-whatever monster. The issue is that its hit-stun breaks boss forms and you can cheese bosses completely, like Amgydala.

Now i'm using ANOTHER broken weapon. This is NG+5.

Bloodborne - NG+5 - Cleric Beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCNvgtOa2lA

Bloodborne - NG+5 - Father G
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJiIZoZW1jM

The Whirligig is next up on the DLC OP list. Holy hell look at this damage and hit-stun. Father G was Father Gentle. The R2 charge move is ridiculous! I'm just scrub playing for the most part on NG+5...

If there are any takers on:
a) DLC bosses being the same difficulty as vanilla
b) DLC weapons not being OP

I'd like to hear it.

EDIT:
PS, am not using beast blood pellets...haha

I still melee them, but I usually just pause for a second or if I know they're going to be there equip the frenzy rune and Crow set and just hack away at them with something quick like the BoM and then dodge out when they're about to do their grab attack. I'm only really afraid of those damn Street Sharks, but I at least know how to parry them now, hate the well though still. In fact they're the only hard enemies in Fishing Hamlet. The normal grunts go down hard and fast to a +9 cane with fire gems.

What? I had no idea you could change runes on the fly. I kept going back to the tool on the Hunter's Dream to make changes. FML.

It definitely does. All weapons with physical only attacks will be replaced with fire/bolt/arcane if slot in a gem of those types and the weapon will scale with arcane at that point. However, weapons with physical and elemental attacks (i.e. blades of mercy and the boom hammer) keep their physical damage even if fire or arcane gems are slotted in.

What about the Rifle Spear? I once tried a gem that added fire and it doesn't show a fire attack has been added and you keep your physical damage, however when you hit enemies you see a fire animation.

What about the Rifle Spear? I once tried a gem that added fire and it doesn't show a fire attack has been added and you keep your physical damage, however when you hit enemies you see a fire animation.
When you put on the elemental gems it doesn't show it on the weapons until you either do an attack on the enemy or visceral attack the enemy. Pretty much it's not like how it would be with the paper buffs.

squidyj

I still melee them, but I usually just pause for a second or if I know they're going to be there equip the frenzy rune and Crow set and just hack away at them with something quick like the BoM and then dodge out when they're about to do their grab attack. I'm only really afraid of those damn Street Sharks, but I at least know how to parry them now, hate the well though still. In fact they're the only hard enemies in Fishing Hamlet. The normal grunts go down hard and fast to a +9 cane with fire gems.

crow hat and ash hunter set is the best frenzy resistance

When you put on the elemental gems it doesn't show it on the weapons until you either do an attack on the enemy or visceral attack the enemy. Pretty much it's not like how it would be with the paper buffs.

I meant it doesn't replace your physical attack with a fire attack on the menu screen, but you still seem to be doing fire damage.

crow hat and ash hunter set is the best frenzy resistance
I do know that, but I never dress like that. I usually just wear either of those full sets and equip the rune. Lately I've just been in a Jon Snow mood so I've been wearing the full Crow set. Beak mask with anything else just looks too awkward to me.
I meant it doesn't replace your physical attack with a fire attack on the menu screen, but you still seem to be doing fire damage.
Well that's interesting. I've never used the rifle spear enough to notice that.

Alo0oy

Banned
Anybody else tired of people shitting on Souls fans in every GOTY threads? In every single GOTY the first complaint is always of someone complaining about those salty Souls fans when those salty posts don't exist, & in the rare occasion that they do, they're vastly outnumbered by posters shitting on Souls fans for being angry.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent.

Anybody else tired of people shitting on Souls fans in every GOTY threads? In every single GOTY the first complaint is always of someone complaining about those salty Souls fans when those salty posts don't exist, & in the rare occasion that they do, they're vastly outnumbered by posters shitting on Souls fans for being angry.

They're just jealous, probably couldn't even beat the game, or just got so infuriated during the playthrough. I will admit part of the pleasure of the game is over coming the pain, some people just don't appreciate it. Though I will admit I don't enjoy seeing MGS V getting game of the year or even being ranked higher than Bloodborne since I think MGS V is a fucking god awful Metal Gear game and nowhere near as fun as Blooborne is.

Alo0oy

Banned
They're just jealous, probably couldn't even beat the game, or just got so infuriated during the playthrough. I will admit part of the pleasure of the game is over coming the pain, some people just don't appreciate it. Though I will admit I don't enjoy seeing MGS V getting game of the year or even being ranked higher than Bloodborne since I think MGS V is a fucking god awful Metal Gear game and nowhere near as fun as Blooborne is.

I have no problem with people preferring another game, opinions & all that, it's just those parody "Bloodborne robbed" posts that are supposed to mock Souls fans or how dozens of people don't see the irony of them complaining about Souls fans shitting up the thread even though their complaints about the fanbase vastly outnumber them.

BizzyBum

I need someone to help me on Kos. Been trying for 2 days and I'm ready to throw my ps4 out the window.

LOL nm, just beat him like 5 minutes after posting this.

squidyj

I think there has been enough shittiness from some souls fans to earn it. not even just in the early GOTY threads when witcher 3 placed ahead of it but just all along practically since the first Dark Souls got popular. There's a lot of..... fetishists? among souls fans, people who seem to believe that the souls way of doing something or prioritizing something is the only or the best way to do it. Like there's some sort of gaming Orthodoxy. It's always been obnoxious and it got a little loud in those threads earlier this month.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

As usual, the more annoying trend is the one complaining about a so-called annoyance. Ignore 'em.

Top Bottom