• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to beat Maria on my first try in my NG+ run of The Old Hunters. Was surprised because I kept hearing how hard she was. It was a close fight, for sure. Was down to like 4 blood vials at the end.

I still think the hunter in the Grand Cathedral that you have to fight as part of Eileen's quest is the hardest humanoid hunter enemy I've faced yet.

Theman2k

Pump Vit up to 50 and End to 40. After that just get good gems for your weapon (+20% physical damage up or above). Also I bet there are bunch of people willing to be summoned if you want.

Thanks a lot!
Manged to finish the lower hitertomb.
but that Abhorrent Beast in the loran chalice is kicking my ass :(

NEO0MJ

Managed to beat Maria on my first try in my NG+ run of The Old Hunters. Was surprised because I kept hearing how hard she was. It was a close fight, for sure. Was down to like 4 blood vials at the end.

She's a strange one, either you consider her super hard or super easy.

Some people tend to treat her as a Boss status. Maria is just and average Hunter NPC who can be easily parried or staggered.but with long range attacks and augmented damage because DLC.

BizzyBum

Any good reason to try and beat this impossible thing down the well in the fishing hamlet. Thing is harder than any boss battle and is stupidly cheap.

nm, beat it lol. Used my holy blade instead and was a bit easier. Still took me like an hour.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Some people tend to treat her as a Boss status but she is just and average Hunter NPC who can be easily parried or staggered.but with long range attacks and augmented damage because DLC.

She was definitely easy to parry, but that last phase was brutal for me.

Astral

I finally beat Laurence. That was the least fun I've ever had on this game. I'm definitely never fighting him again unless it's maybe a regular new game. NG+ and on he can go fuck himself.

laxu

She's a strange one, either you consider her super hard or super easy.

She's hard if you're not that good at timing your dodges and parrying. She's easy if you are.

BTW, if you are routing via an AV receiver, I highly recommend instead routing straight to TV and then have it send audio to the AV receiver. I recently changed this and noticed a big difference in input lag (fuck my Denon receiver!).

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
This game's online community is dead. Can't summon a soul, takes an hour and sometimes I get one person.

Theman2k

what am I supposed to do when all my ritual alters are full ? :(
i can remove but it will erase all progress and materials used to make it.
what happen if i'll want to make the same chalice again ? find the materials all over again?

Ethelwulf

Oh, the graveyard, you cant acces that door as far as I remember, there are rocks blocking the path anyway
Yeah the graveyard sorry :( thanks!
This game's online community is dead. Can't summon a soul, takes an hour and sometimes I get one person.
Where are you fellow hunter? It depends where you are? I just played like 6 pvp rounds in hunter's nightmare and helped killing ludwing twice...

Novocaine

what am I supposed to do when all my ritual alters are full ? :(
i can remove but it will erase all progress and materials used to make it.
what happen if i'll want to make the same chalice again ? find the materials all over again?

You keep the Chalice item. You lose the blood/mould. Most of that stuff is really easy to get though.

Also just noticed Blood Rocks can be bought with 60 insight and chunks dropped to 20. That's pretty sweet.

I've been summoning people easily for the last several days. Sometimes it takes 10 mins but I always find someone.

Not helpful for you I know, check your network settings in the game is set to worldwide?

Sanctuary

I hope that Dark Souls 3 ends up being better balanced than this. At least once the inevitable DLC arrives anyway. This isn't necessarily a complaint about The Old Hunters, but the balancing on it seems rather skewed. Unlike Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, the DLC weapons and enemies are far from balanced with the main game (Artorias could have its spikes, but it wasn't like this).

It's been recommended to be at least level 65 before trying the content in this. However, level doesn't seem to matter as much as having +6 - +10 weapons with some of the best gems you can get from the main game/Chalice Dungeons. The enemies are ridiculous damage sponges that make it feel like even the heavy hitting weapons (+6 at least) are just doing the needle-prick damage of the Threaded Cane unupgraded, while the enemies hit you for 30% - 50% health per hit. Yeah, there's always trying to parry. When the game actually allows it. The circular, horizontal or diagonal swipes done by the early hunter enemies seems entirely random as for what the parry window is. Or there's some kind of resistance to it that I don't know about. Anyway, it just kind of seems like the enemies are NG+ or NG++ in difficulty by default.

You suffer through that for a little bit, and then you can grab the Beast Cutter. Still doesn't really help with that area much, but it's extremely strong for vanilla areas. Then, a few minutes later you can become one with the power of the pizza. Some people were complaining about how broken Ludwig's was for PvE, yet this thing just owns it in almost every conceivable way in vanilla content. No thrust attack, but so what?

Again, I just hope they do a better balancing job with the Dark Souls 3 main game to DLC, since it seems like it's going for a Darkborne style anyway.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I've been summoning people easily for the last several days. Sometimes it takes 10 mins but I always find someone.

Not helpful for you I know, check your network settings in the game is set to worldwide?

Sigh, it is now...... Thanks.

I hope that Dark Souls 3 ends up being better balanced than this. At least once the inevitable DLC arrives anyway. This isn't necessarily a complaint about The Old Hunters, but the balancing on it seems rather skewed. Unlike Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, the DLC weapons and enemies are far from balanced with the main game (Artorias could have its spikes, but it wasn't like this).

It's been recommended to be at least level 65 before trying the content in this. However, level doesn't seem to matter as much as having +6 - +10 weapons with some of the best gems you can get from the main game/Chalice Dungeons. The enemies are ridiculous damage sponges that make it feel like even the heavy hitting weapons (+6 at least) are just doing the needle-prick damage of the Threaded Cane unupgraded, while the enemies hit you for 30% - 50% health per hit. Yeah, there's always trying to parry. When the game actually allows it. The circular, horizontal or diagonal swipes done by the early hunter enemies seems entirely random as for what the parry window is. Or there's some kind of resistance to it that I don't know about. Anyway, it just kind of seems like the enemies are NG+ or NG++ in difficulty by default.

You suffer through that for a little bit, and then you can grab the Beast Cutter. Still doesn't really help with that area much, but it's extremely strong for vanilla areas. Then, a few minutes later you can become one with the power of the pizza. Some people were complaining about how broken Ludwig's was for PvE, yet this thing just owns it in almost every conceivable way in vanilla content. No thrust attack, but so what?

Again, I just hope they do a better balancing job with the Dark Souls 3 main game to DLC, since it seems like it's going for a Darkborne style anyway.

Just for comparison I'm on NG+ with a Chikage that can do 570 AR in bloodied form and 370 in normal form (average gems). I felt like I had the perfect damage output against bosses and enemies. Enough so the fight did not seem impossible and not too much such that I could relax at any moment. A bigger problem I would say is how much damage these enemies can dish, although I am playing on NG+. The only boss who made me feel inadequate was
Laurence

If you are playing NG I reckon a 400 AR is all you need with some decent vitality (30).
I like that the DLC is especially tough, and this is coming from someone who has died scores of times against the bosses and even certain enemies.

I agree that Ludwig and Whirlig are overpowered in PvE. I think its their staggering capability. Makes it to easy for the player to just swing blindly.

guys quick question regarding gems...

So i have both chikage and lost chikage and plan to make one of them a rapid poison build and other bloodtinge. It seems my regular chikage has far more blood damage compared to lost even with the 30.5 blt gem, so should make lost my poison build?

Neat. So is there restrictions when you summon people? This is all pretty overwhelming right now. lol - I have the first boss killed at least.
You should have he beckoning bell. Check the messenger bath above the one to your left. I would recommend buying the small bell or whatever it's called. That will let you be summon to other player's world. It cost 1 insight for you to summon a player to your world. Doesn't cost anything to be summon to another player's world.

The cooper will have his stats reduce to be similar to your stats. And gain 1/2 of the rewards for a boss kill. You can only summon f the area boss is alive.

Edit: might have miss a few things since I am on mobile.

Novocaine

If I start a NG+ will I lose my chalices? Getting pretty tired of the cursed chalice and I have cleared everything else. I'm up to Amygdala though and I don't want to have to go all the way through again.

This may be frowned upon, but I just got BB and the DLC. Fantastic so far, however I have always loved, honestly, cheating in these games. Always played souls games on PC offline. I don't want to do anything online at all. Is there a way to downgrade the version or get unlimited blood echoes with the DLC? I just want the freedom to do what I want, 100% offline. Wouldn't downgrading or never updating (turning off auto updates) be the best route?

This may be frowned upon, but I just got BB and the DLC. Fantastic so far, however I have always loved, honestly, cheating in these games. Always played souls games on PC offline. I don't want to do anything online at all. Is there a way to downgrade the version or get unlimited blood echoes with the DLC? I just want the freedom to do what I want, 100% offline. Wouldn't downgrading or never updating (turning off auto updates) be the best route?
Not that I know about.

RiggyRob

Any good reason to try and beat this impossible thing down the well in the fishing hamlet. Thing is harder than any boss battle and is stupidly cheap.

nm, beat it lol. Used my holy blade instead and was a bit easier. Still took me like an hour.

Any excuse to plug our own video again - much quicker than an hour: https://youtu.be/XlRG3Tjx2p8

Wow the DLC doesn't have an ending huh?

A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea. All that there is and can be... a.k.a. the second ending in the main game where
you become Gehrman and the Hunt begins all over again. The cycle continues and there's no way to stop it

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ugh, I'm so sick of enemies with unlimited poise and uninterruptable animations.
Ah, the things that are okay in Bloodborne but make DS2 the worst game, lol.

I know you fixed your network setting but also you might be over or under levelled for the area?

I don't know what it is you're trying to do exactly, but you can't play the DLC without the latest patch so....

anddo0

Lvl 214
NG++

I'm getting my ass handed to me by the first boss.
Any tips?

It's a shame this DLC isn't like the Chalice Dungeons. The difficulty is brutal in NG.

guys quick question regarding gems...

So i have both chikage and lost chikage and plan to make one of them a rapid poison build and other bloodtinge. It seems my regular chikage has far more blood damage compared to lost even with the 30.5 blt gem, so should make lost my poison build?

The lost chikage should always do more blood damage...Check you dont have your gems switched up. 27.2, 27.2 and 30.5 should be better than 3x27.2 on a normal Chikage.

Ah, the things that are okay in Bloodborne but make DS2 the worst game, lol.

I know you fixed your network setting but also you might be over or under levelled for the area?

I don't know what it is you're trying to do exactly, but you can't play the DLC without the latest patch so....

You do realize constantly bringing up these comparisons only perpetuates the debate? Also ive never heard of anyone complain about enemies not being able to be interrupted from "Hyper Armor" attacks in Dark Souls 2. All big enemies have poise so its easy to know what enemies cant be interrupted.

In BB its harder to tell because nothing has poise so its all hyper armor. All enemies can be staggered out of Hyper Armor if you hit them with a big enough weapon/attack or if you hit them in quick enough succession. Isnt rocket science.

Lvl 214
NG++

I'm getting my ass handed to me by the first boss.
Any tips?

It's a shame this DLC isn't like the Chalice Dungeons. The difficulty is brutal in NG.

Dodge forward into his attacks except for the long delayed swipe. You know the one that always hits you? lol Also for the delayed jump; Run in a straight line towards he side of the room with the most space so you dont run out. Dont roll just run, youll never get hit. For the second phase, dont dodge backwards but around, and manage your stamina.

Dresden

Returning to this game for Old Hunters has been a pretty humbling experience. But that first hour back where I could barely interrupt or dodge... ugh.

Think I'll go for a 99 arcane build.

Top Bottom