• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night 5th anniversary!

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I loved it. Got really, really addicted. Did completely inexplicable things like spend hours farming 1% food drops to get everything to 100% completion.

I got the new DLC. Will try it at some point. Mostly waiting for Bloodstained 2 though.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Weird I just finally finished it for the first time over the weekend. Crafted some pretty crazy weapons towards the end and I was super OP by the time I hit the final few bosses. 98.9% map completion :messenger_unamused:

While it doesnt hold a candle to SOTN (nothing ever will) I did enjoy my time with it far more than I did five years ago. One of the better pathfinder games out there imo

Edit: Im also on Team Hollow Knight Sucks

Astral Dog

Mixed feelings on Bloodstained , it has plenty of content but the artstyle, characters,even the music i didn't like them as much as Castlevania it was decent but it lacked something i think it has a lot of potential in a sequel though, and since we been waiting so long they won't rush it

peak Igavania is still the Sorrow games and SotN

Pejo

If SNK could improve their 3D models, I have hope for Iga. I was really hoping for a sequel announcement by now, but at least they're working on something.

Reactions: Isa

CamHostage

The original game frustrated me a lot (sometimes fun, but it was very grindy and at first I felt woefully underpowered with my favorite weapons, then I switched to less interesting-to-play weapons and the game got soapy-easy until the finale grind again; also the "town" was woefully underdeveloped and it never really felt like there were proper storytelling mechanics for much of the game) but I ultimately liked it enough to anticipate the sequel whenever it happens.

The 2D Curse of the Moon side-games by Inti Creates BTW are awesome.

Mixed feelings on Bloodstained , it has plenty of content but the artstyle, characters,even the music i didn't like them as much as Castlevania it was decent but it lacked something i think it has a lot of potential in a sequel though, and since we been waiting so long they won't rush it

peak Igavania is still the Sorrow games and SotN

It felt like Castlevania At Home. I still enjoyed my time with the game, but there was something about the controls and gameplay in general that just felt off. You are 100% on point about peak Castlevania though. SOTN could be released today, it's as good as it ever was. I still haven't played Aria of Sorrow but Dawn of Sorrow I'd say is the next best in the series. Boss rush mode was awesome.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This game will always have a really special place in my heart, because my dear friend Gromph Gromph gave me his Steam key from kickstarting the game, before he passed away.

bender

What time is it?
It felt like Castlevania At Home. I still enjoyed my time with the game, but there was something about the controls and gameplay in general that just felt off. You are 100% on point about peak Castlevania though. SOTN could be released today, it's as good as it ever was. I still haven't played Aria of Sorrow but Dawn of Sorrow I'd say is the next best in the series. Boss rush mode was awesome.

I'm still hoping for a DS Castlevania Collection. Playing through the GBA games was pure joy.

I'm still hoping for a DS Castlevania Collection. Playing through the GBA games was pure joy.

I never got the chance to play OoE before it became rare. Heard great things about it. Seems unanimous that PoR was the worst one on DS and I still enjoyed it for the most part. It has nothing on Dawn of Sorrow though. I'd be there day 1 for a physical release of Castlevania DS Collection.

Blackage

I backed this game, I'm glad it came out, and I'm glad it found success, I'm also really happy for Shutaro Lida & Koji Igarashi. That said I do wish the game felt better to play then what we ultimately got, it was a metroidvania with some of that stiff early Castlevania jank they got rid of for SotN and all the later Nintendo DS Castlevania SotN clones and I hope if they make a sequel they lean closer to that design as opposed to what we got.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Beat it on Nightmare a bunch of times. Easy as shit, but hard at the start. Once you know what to do, you can still break the game after getting the double jump.

This game will always have a really special place in my heart, because my dear friend Gromph Gromph gave me his Steam key from kickstarting the game, before he passed away.
Jesus...

Last edited:
I backed this game, I'm glad it came out, and I'm glad it found success, I'm also really happy for Shutaro Lida & Koji Igarashi. That said I do wish the game felt better to play then what we ultimately got, it was a metroidvania with some of that stiff early Castlevania jank they got rid of for SotN and all the later Nintendo DS Castlevania SotN clones and I hope if they make a sequel they lean closer to that design as opposed to what we got.

Early Castlevania jank?

Soodanim

Early Castlevania jank?
I agree with him. Maybe jank isn't the ideal word, but RotN feels clunky. SotN isn't feel clunky at all, with Alucard being so agile to play as.

I think the animation is at least partially to blame. Alcuard's sprites were smooth as silk. But there's more to it than that from what I remember.

Last edited:
I agree with him. Maybe jank isn't the ideal word, but RotN feels clunky. SotN isn't feel clunky at all, with Alucard being so agile to play as.

I think the animation is at least partially to blame. Alcuard's sprites were smooth as silk. But there's more to it than that from what I remember.

Ahhh. Stiff Belmont movement works in old-school CV but not in Metroidvania.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Oh man, Aria is so good too. Did you play Portrait of Ruin and order of ecclesia? I mean these are incredible games. If you haven't I envy you!

Oh man, Aria is so good too. Did you play Portrait of Ruin and order of ecclesia? I mean these are incredible games. If you haven't I envy you!

I've played PoR, thought it was good but not great. Enjoy it a bit more than Bloodstained RotN. OoE I have only heard praise for, that is the one I would buy a collection for. A DS copy is really expensive nowadays, and lots of fake carts going around.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I've played PoR, thought it was good but not great. Enjoy it a bit more than Bloodstained RotN. OoE I have only heard praise for, that is the one I would buy a collection for. A DS copy is really expensive nowadays, and lots of fake carts going around.
OeE goes around 100$US CIB on eBay. Yes it's expensive but totally worth it if you are enthusiastic about Castlevania. What's interesting is if you play blind, you realize the Castle part of the game is not during the first half. It's an awesome Castlevania.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
OeE goes around 100$US CIB on eBay. Yes it's expensive but totally worth it if you are enthusiastic about Castlevania. What's interesting is if you play blind, you realize the Castle part of the game is not during the first half. It's an awesome Castlevania.
The buildup towards the Castle in OoE is what makes it one of my favorite Castlevania's. It's no surprise that Bloodstained has a lot of similarities With Ecclesia in that regard. It is one of the best. Miriam has a very similar color scheme to Shanoa.

Top Bottom