• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Star Wars The Knights of The Old Republic is indefinitely delayed.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just think, the only real state of play or "event" we've had from Sony this generation opened with this....everyone went crazy....and its ended up being a wet fart.....

What a fuck up, but just another perfect example of how fucked gaming is right now....

...the disconnect of hype vs reality and all that bullshit...

Hopefully it all changes soon.

Last edited:

reksveks

Just think, the only real state of play or "event" we've had from Sony this generation opened with this....everyone went crazy....and its ended up being a wet fart.....

What a fuck up, but just another perfect example of how fucked gaming is right now....

...the disconnect of hype vs reality and all that bullshit...

Hopefully it all changes soon.
It was a trailer/announcement to try and attract talent. Typically the issue is that consumers are also watching it and the expectations aren't being set correctly. Not sure how the industry will be able to resolve this.

In this case, there seems to be some serious project management issues. I don't get how you go from a 2022 release date to 2025 so quickly.

Mr.ODST

Think we all knew this would happen when Aspyr who have never even developed a proper game before took on a project of this magnitude

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It was a trailer/announcement to try and attract talent. Typically the issue is that consumers are also watching it and the expectations aren't being set correctly. Not sure how the industry will be able to resolve this.

In this case, there seems to be some serious project management issues. I don't get how you go from a 2022 release date to 2025 so quickly.

Of course consumers were watching it, it was sonys only major event in the last 2 years.... there's no way it was there just to attract talent.

It was to create hype amongst gamers and it ended up being nothing burger.

Last edited:

Fess

And I feel PC doesn't count in these sorts of discussions. No one goes around saying God of War, Uncharted, Halo, Gears etc. are multiplatform games because they're on PC now do they.

For further perspective, games like Final Fantasy VII and VIII released on PC a year after their console launch. Are they not considered Playstation exclusives? Same goes with games like the original Metal Gear Solid etc. Imagine if Xbox had had the same timed exclusivity with the remake of Final Fantasy VII? It would be stupid.
The correct term now is console exclusives, multiplatform implies that it’s coming to all platforms imo.

But PC is a big platform so it absolutely count, people has been saying ”Cool I’ll pick it up on PC.” for years when talking about previous platform exclusives.

Can call them Sony exclusives or Microsoft exclusives and let people find out for themselves that you actually don’t need a console to play them.

nowhat

Jason
6sugG1b.jpg

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Clearly they don't have people (like Respawn has) to get this project done, and if 2 directors were fired... there's also no clear direction for it as well. They should just hand it over to someone else, more capable and suitable for the project of this scale and significance, someone like Obsidian.

KiteGr

I guess It goes the way of Vamplire the Mascuerade: Bloodlines 2...

I'm actually happy about this. It was going to be Woke garbage anyway...
You could tell the respect they had for the project when they hired a Woke Activist to write it. At least they kicked her out early.

A company that handles ports, hasn't had a full time development team until this project and is run by management that has been in the games industry a handful of years. 'Shockedface.'

ReBurn

Gold Member
Ok this is never going to come out. And if it does at any point in the next 5 years, it's going to be terrible.

Calling it now
It was always going to be terrible. Which sucks because it's a great game that deserves to live on.

Gravemind

Good. No need to taint the legacy of the game with a pointless remake from a developer with zero experience creating games.

Not everything needs a remake.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
That vertical slice they prepared and showed the Embracer and Sony executives must have been really terrible.

Out of curiosity I'd like to see this demo, but that is probably never going to happen. On the other hand it feels like axing the project without staining their public image is exactly what should have happened to Sands of Time Remake or even this new Saints Row reboot.
Embracer seems to be a pretty good publisher. They've been investing in good devs that are are responsible for great games (Kingdom Come, Valheim, Metro, Shadow Warrior, Deep Rock Galactic, Tomb Raider, etc.). I'll trust their judgment on this.

Another point I'd like to make is that I don't think this was doomed from the start solely because it was being handled by Aspyr. The games are made by people and we've had news that Aspyr had been in a hiring spree, including a number of industry veterans. We've also seen a number of studios being upgraded to project leaders with very successful results, like Bend with Days Gone and Bluepoint with Demon's Souls remake.
I was a lot more concerned about some statements from their writers claiming they were going to put a modern take and different twist to the story than I ever was of Aspyr leading the project.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That vertical slice they prepared and showed the Embracer and Sony executives must have been really terrible.

Out of curiosity I'd like to see this demo, but that is probably never going to happen. On the other hand it feels like axing the project without staining their public image is exactly what should have happened to Sands of Time Remake or even this new Saints Row reboot.
Embracer seems to be a pretty good publisher. They've been investing in good devs that are are responsible for great games (Kingdom Come, Valheim, Metro, Shadow Warrior, Deep Rock Galactic, Tomb Raider, etc.). I'll trust their judgment on this.

Another point I'd like to make is that I don't think this was doomed from the start solely because it was being handled by Aspyr. The games are made by people and we've had news that Aspyr had been in a hiring spree, including a number of industry veterans. We've also seen a number of studios being upgraded to project leaders with very successful results, like Bend with Days Gone and Bluepoint with Demon's Souls remake.
I was a lot more concerned about some statements from their writers claiming they were going to put a modern take and different twist to the story than I ever was of Aspyr leading the project.
This is what worried me before.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Ah yes,

Reveal your game 5 years before it could possibly launch with a flashy cg trailer,

Rumors about troubled development begin at year 2,

Game gets a release date year 4

That release date gets delayed 6 month to a year,

The game comes out broken or unfinished,

Developer puts out long winded apology video,

Such is the way of triple a game development now.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
It's in greyscale, so professional WOW!
Jason, last bastion against the darkness behind him. The darkness known as...Developer Crunch.

Some know Crunch as the eater of souls. Others say At-Will Employment gives the power to defeat it by saying "No Thanks" and finding other work.

Jason will not hear of the latter. Jason is the only one who can save us. Per Jason.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
There was an "insider" who said that, there has never been any official confirmation of this.

Either way, dodged a bullet.
I’m an insider, here’s what happened:

“Hey Microsoft, KoToR is closely linked to the Xbox brand, wouldn’t you like to make the remake an Xbox exclusive?”
“No thanks, we have no confidence in your studio.”
“Oh come on, you just spent like $100 billion in acquisitions. Don’t tell me you can’t afford just a little.”
“No”

Next day:
“Hey Sony, Microsoft seemed REALLY interested in this KoToR remake, I’m pretty sure they’re going to make us an offer any time now. It would be a huge win for PlayStation if you managed to snatch this one away from them…”

MrMephistoX

Not surprised. Seemed like a dumpster fire from the start.
Port house remaking a classic never seemed promising especially when they couldn’t be bothered to launch a patched version of KOTORII on Switch without game killing bugs.

KOTOR II can be modded on Steam to be a better game KOTOR cannot so that was literally the only reason I was excited by this. I kinda hope Steam unlocks Worshop support for KOTOR I now and if they do I’d just replay it instead of waiting on vaporware.

Top Bottom