• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Xbox’s ‘Exclusive’ Video Game Strategy Leaves Everyone Confused

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sounds exactly like Sony to PC strategy

GAAS = day one
Many of their games lately = timed exclusive
Many of their other games = not coming out

And unless it's GAAS, they dont tell if a new game comes to PC or not until a year or two later and then in a random tweet or PS Blog article says a PC port is coming in 3 months.

No Sony's strategy is more clear. MS is clearly just making things up as they go. It looks extremely obvious that Sony has planned out when their games are coming to PC.

And it's clear they don't view PC is a primary direct competitor, but as a secondary competitor or a complement to the PS5.

Elios83

Slow news period for Jason, Microsoft is transitioning towards being a multiplatform third party publisher.
A transition means that there will be a transition period, there are things that strategically do not make sense to do immediatly, they need to handle their audience with the boiled frog strategy to try to not lose all their users, also the shift was relatively recent, it was decided last year when it was clear the Activision deal was getting closed, so realistically they do not have ports ready for all of their games.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
I think I've got to a point where I genuinely feel like exclusivity is just shit.

Give me a choice of where to play your games, which is why I like what Xbox is doing going "partially" 3rd party, but I wish PS did it more as well.

I already don't expect Nintendo to do it, so I just don't even bother having wishful thinking with them. 😂

The whole model of exclusive console games is not really “consumer friendly”..

It’s basically a subscription model where instead of a monthly payment you pay a lump sum up front for the hardware, say $500, and then you wait for your exclusive content to come along for that hardware subscription, but unlike the more modern way of doing it where the content is included, you actually have to pay for it on top of the hardware fee you already paid up front.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Without console exclusivity, there would be no point to create a console and sell it at a loss to make it affordable.

HurtGravy

Neo Member
The only thing that makes sense to me at this point is that they just become a 3rd party publisher like any other and leave the hardware race.

I had high hopes for Xbox at the start of this gen. But I don’t really understand why they’d expect anyone to buy their hardware if you can play more stuff elsewhere. They’ve just made their platform strictly worse.
Next gen consoles/ handheld hybrids are going to be interesting.

Microsoft are looking to have games everywhere but still have a new console in 26-28. Rumoured to be like a steam deck device due to their research showing that the next gen of gamers are not that interested in console platform, just want to play the game where they can albeit it phone, tablet, pc or console.

The research found that a staggering 80% of next generation gamers play games on a handheld device not console. That 80% equates to 800 million gamers.

The point to all this is Microsoft is preparing themselves to capture as much of that with a hand held device that quite possible will have steam and nvidia apps built into it.

Sony however are stuck in the past and will release a ps6 which will be an enhacement on ps5 multiple times but very much a walled garden with games coming day one to pc.

More Xbox games wil come to ps5 and eventually 6 possibly day one but Xbox gamers wil also be able to play PlayStation games.

Wait, wait. So are we getting physical versions of Xbox games on PS5? That would be fucking wild man. I'm in.

Edit - I guess we do already with Diablo, etc. I guess I meant Xbox Studio games.

Last edited:

Z O N E

The whole model of exclusive console games is not really “consumer friendly”..

It’s basically a subscription model where instead of a monthly payment you pay a lump sum up front for the hardware, say $500, and then you wait for your exclusive content to come along for that hardware subscription, but unlike the more modern way of doing it where the content is included, you actually have to pay for it on top of the hardware fee you already paid up front.

Oh yeah, 100% agree.

I enjoy being given choices where to play. I own all consoles and a gaming PC and if it was possible to consolidate all my purchases onto 1 platform... I would 100% do that.

Mr.Phoenix

Sounds exactly like Sony to PC strategy

GAAS = day one
Many of their games lately = timed exclusive
Many of their other games = not coming out

And unless it's GAAS, they dont tell if a new game comes to PC or not until a year or two later and then in a random tweet or PS Blog article says a PC port is coming in 3 months.
It is nothing like what Sony does.

With sony, only two things are clear.

All GAAS are coming to PC day 1.

Everything else, MAY come to PC after 18+ months.

And they have been clear on this since the start of the PS5 gen, and already started doing this last gen.

The issue with MS is that they keep saying and doing contradictory shit. They literally had a whole media show that they even announced to dispel any idea that their games were coming to the PS5, even dismissed the idea. And look at them now, what we are seeing now means that even when they had that show, they already had devs actively working on PS5 versions of their games. While coming out and publicly denying it. If that's not some shady shit I don't know what is.

Three

Their strategy has changed numerous times and it's to maximise profits. They couldn't care less about some upset fanboys.

bitbydeath

Oh yeah, 100% agree.

I enjoy being given choices where to play. I own all consoles and a gaming PC and if it was possible to consolidate all my purchases onto 1 platform... I would 100% do that.
All PC software on Mac and Linux would be interesting. Probably kill Windows.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
vp6SW4f.png

DryvBy

As a public company, especially one as prolific as Microsoft, you can't just pull out as a major player of a lucrative industry like video games. Shareholders will have a fit and actually file lawsuits against the company. So, they need to fail and it needs to not look like it was obviously self inflicted. Since the ATVI deal, it's clear Microsoft wants to return to being a publisher and get out of the console/hardware business. They want to grow a fanbase that will pay for and become addicted to their games, and then Microsoft being Microsoft, they will tighten their stranglehold and start extorting their fanbase to extract profit while creating as little value as possible - just like how they operate the rest of their business.
You are not a major stockholder so you have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, but if you take off the blinders you'll see they're setting up for the exit and have all generation. They're making way more money as a 3rd party. The hardware isn't doing jack but losing money for them.

They pulled out of Dune and MP3 players were huge then. They've pulled out of cellphones and I'm sure those are still popular. And they'll soon pull out of making consoles. They're not exiting games. Microsoft's pull out game is strong.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Despite their colossal hardware failures with the X360, they had ALL the ingredients to go toe-to-toe with Sony with the PS4 and they shit the bed right from the start with the 'always-on', can't share games, TV bullshit.

Killed all goodwill with the customer base from that moment onwards, hence why they've had consistent decline in every market since the 360. Almost 20 years since the original X360 release and they're still none the wiser.

They simply don't understand the market nor are they interested to — instead they'd rather buy their way to success by bruteforce instead of making their own stuff.

StereoVsn

Does Phil and Co even have a strategy other then throwing shit at a wall and seeing what happens?

At this juncture, why not release Xbox titles on PS5 and Switch? It’s unlikely to negatively affect GamePass subscribers since they don’t really buy a lot of games anyway.

But it could bring a decent amount of revenue. Basically either shit or get off the pot. They either should have stuck to exclusives on Xbox or just go hog wild. This current “policy” (if you could call it that) is pointless.

Starfield is abso-fucking-lutely coming to Playstation. Matter of time.

Why wouldn't you at this point? It's not selling any more consoles or Game Pass subs now.
Yep. Schreier can't be that naive here. I don't believe it. Very disingenous from him to repeat the usual bullshit statements from MS / Spencer.

Humdinger

Yeah. Makes sense to get the expansion out first (9/30), let that sit a while, then announce a PS5 port, maybe sometime early next year.

Kumomeme

this is nothing new. these past few years we already see they do tons of stuff that contradict with other stuff at same time. even if some of the stuff is comparable to shoot oneself in the foot. despite whatever their spokesperson like sarah bond or the friendly relatable gamer uncle phil are saying and promised.

we can even plainly see that within the divisions/company, its like those are incharge are playing 3 way tug war among themself.

Sport Drag GIF by Puppy Bowl

Last edited:
You are not a major stockholder so you have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, but if you take off the blinders you'll see they're setting up for the exit and have all generation. They're making way more money as a 3rd party. The hardware isn't doing jack but losing money for them.

They pulled out of Dune and MP3 players were huge then. They've pulled out of cellphones and I'm sure those are still popular. And they'll soon pull out of making consoles. They're not exiting games. Microsoft's pull out game is strong.

You don’t need to be an insider to see what’s going on. I agree with almost everything you said, but I am still of the belief Xbox was given one more chance to turn things around this gen. And I do think Phil and his crew wanted to continue Xbox’s hardware platform. Microsoft began setting for the move to 3rd party as a contingency if they were not able to rest a list their market leadership position. Series did not get off to a good start, and no signs of course correction, so once the ATVI deal closed, that was the final nail in the Xbox coffin.

You talk about Zune and Windows Phone, each of those segments Microsoft decided not to be in the hardware game, they strongly prefer sticking to their core competency that is software (and extortion). It’s a good business move, but the company needs a real, data driven reason to point to in order to change course. In both cases you mentioned, Microsoft’s market share was abysmally low. Lower than Xbox Series.

DryvBy

You don’t need to be an insider to see what’s going on. I agree with almost everything you said, but I am still of the belief Xbox was given one more chance to turn things around this gen. And I do think Phil and his crew wanted to continue Xbox’s hardware platform. Microsoft began setting for the move to 3rd party as a contingency if they were not able to rest a list their market leadership position. Series did not get off to a good start, and no signs of course correction, so once the ATVI deal closed, that was the final nail in the Xbox coffin.

You talk about Zune and Windows Phone, each of those segments Microsoft decided not to be in the hardware game, they strongly prefer sticking to their core competency that is software (and extortion). It’s a good business move, but the company needs a real, data driven reason to point to in order to change course. In both cases you mentioned, Microsoft’s market share was abysmally low. Lower than Xbox Series.
You don't need to be an insider. What's going on is a hardware company exiting hardware to stick with the overall MS plan of services services services and to sell games where the services won't exist. The hardware has has over a decade to improve and it's actually gotten lower. Why would anyone buy Xbox hardware when they flat out advertise you don't need it anymore?

Face the music: they're done.

The research found that a staggering 80% of next generation gamers play games on a handheld device not console. That 80% equates to 800 million gamers.
Guess what? Most of those are playing on a phone, and most of THOSE are playing Free To Play games.

And finally, you know what is Kryptonite to Gamepass? That's right, Free To Play games. Games that don't have a place in a subscription model because it is already free.

If you are going to cater to those 800 million. you are going to have to kill Gamepass. I doubt Xbox could pivot away from Gamepass without dying entirely.

You don't need to be an insider. What's going on is a hardware company exiting hardware to stick with the overall MS plan of services services services and to sell games where the services won't exist. The hardware has has over a decade to improve and it's actually gotten lower. Why would anyone buy Xbox hardware when they flat out advertise you don't need it anymore?

Face the music: they're done.

Think you're either quoting and replying to a different message, or misinterpreting what I am saying.

The confusion only matters for those deciding they want to stay with Xbox for exclusives in which the obvious answer is no unless you really love GP and/or have no interest in PS games.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Whole article:

Jason Schreier:

''The problem with Xbox's new vision isn't that the company is moving away from console exclusives. The problem is that their release strategy is messy, confusing, and inconsistent. Just pick a lane!''

To be honest I think this discrepancy has more to do with when the decision was made in each product lifecycle.

With Doom, they were building on a previous title that already ran on PS5, and the game is earlier in development.

For Indy, they probably weren't planning on a PS5 port at all for most of development, but then decided they could but needed time to port it.

For Starfield, it was probably never a conversation until the game has already been out for some time and a lot of interest had died down.

JackMcGunns

Serious question, out of the Xbox fans in this board, have you seen anyone “enraged” by this? The mergers and acquisitions just happened and at the moment there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians, it might take some time before they all agree on what strategy works best

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It is nothing like what Sony does.

With sony, only two things are clear.

All GAAS are coming to PC day 1.

Everything else, MAY come to PC after 18+ months.

And they have been clear on this since the start of the PS5 gen, and already started doing this last gen.

The issue with MS is that they keep saying and doing contradictory shit. They literally had a whole media show that they even announced to dispel any idea that their games were coming to the PS5, even dismissed the idea. And look at them now, what we are seeing now means that even when they had that show, they already had devs actively working on PS5 versions of their games. While coming out and publicly denying it. If that's not some shady shit I don't know what is.
I dont understand why I keep seeing some ppl compare it to what Sony's doing. Sony gave actual time frames for the PC strategy.

The only thing ppl could compare is Lego Horizon to the Switch.

Last edited:

Woopah

lol......I don't think I've ever seen this (from the article)...

Phil Spencer called last gen their "best yet"?

What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Xbox One was fairly successful initially, at least in the US (Xbox One outsold the PS4 several times in 2016). But while the 360 got stronger overtime, the One got weaker.

Humdinger

Serious question, out of the Xbox fans in this board, have you seen anyone “enraged” by this?

No, I think there's been a self-filtering process where the people who were diehard Xbox loyalists - trumpeting the acquisitions, insisting the games would be exclusive to Xbox, nyah nyah nyah - those type of people have left for "greener pastures," so to speak. Those would be the ones who would've been angry. The Xbox fans that remain are, for the most part, a different bunch - not so attached to their console, not so entrenched in winning the console war, not so in denial about what has been happening - and so not so likely to be angry.

That's my sense of it, anyhow. Sure, you've still got a few outliers, but they are few and far between. Most of the warriors who wanted to "hold the line" have left by now.

Things are different elsewhere, though - outside of GAF. There are still plenty of Xbox fans out there who are angry, frustrated, or disappointed - or else doing lots of "cope" to avoid that. I've seen plenty of Xbox fans pissed at Xbox elsewhere. Many are not so much angry as disappointed.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

Xbox One was fairly successful initially, at least in the US (Xbox One outsold the PS4 several times in 2016). But while the 360 got stronger overtime, the One got weaker.
To add a little more context Microsoft were aggressively price-cutting hardware and bundling new games to outsell and not be outsold by much in other months those first few years of XBO.

Topher

Gold Member

Hmmm, 360 dominated PS3 in the US though. It wasn't until late into the generation that PS3 actually won a few months in NPD.

Roberts

My thought with Starfield is that because it had such a rough launch that they want to try and make sure to get it as improved as they can before sending it to PS. It already got trashed on Steam which I'm sure hurt sales.
Eh, from tech and content perspective it wasn’t rough at all. Check out OT - most of us didn’t encounter any issues which was a surprising considering it is a Bethesda game. Steam scores were like that because a lot of people didn’t get the game they wanted. It is still the same game despite numerous improvements like 60fps and vehicles, etc.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It’s not confusing at all.

There won’t be Xbox exclusives from their first parties moving forward.

They are now trying to find a strategy to ‘exit’ the Xbox console model in a soft way that doesn’t alienate the users. PC hardware with their purchased games available through the Microsoft store seems to be the way with a hybrid PC/console coming next to adjust the users.
SO making a new generation of XBOX consoles and a handheld is a way to leave the console business? Why even talk about next gen if you're not going to invest in it? I think Microsoft is going to focus on CLOUD longer term where they don't care about games on specific consoles they want them everywhere. and Cloud is the only option for that. Even if its 5-10 years off.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
SO making a new generation of XBOX consoles and a handheld is a way to leave the console business? Why even talk about next gen if you're not going to invest in it? I think Microsoft is going to focus on CLOUD longer term where they don't care about games on specific consoles they want them everywhere. and Cloud is the only option for that. Even if its 5-10 years off.
The current talk is that the next console will be high end and will allow other store fronts. Sounds like a PC to me.

The handheld will be a Windows device with an Xbox overlay IMO.

Haven’t the Surface team taken full control also or have I imagined that?

Cyberpunkd

The strategy was always clear to me: all Xbox exclusive games will end up on PS5. Why would people believe Phil when he lied so many times in the past?

If a game is a huge system seller, it will stay Xbox (and pc) exclusive forever or at least several years.

Everything else, release on every platform and make as much money as possible.

They will stay in the console business. The rumor is that the next Xbox will be able to sideload Steam. If true, it will probably sell very well. The console is just a gateway to gamepass sales. Long term, there is MUCH, MUCH more money in a subscription service like gamepass than selling hardware. So, if it sideloads Steam or whatever, MS doesn’t care. They just want you to buy it so you’ll hopefully sub to gamepass.

I am fine with this. I own all consoles, but prefer Xbox. I get a lot of use out of gamepass, and I don’t care if MS is dropping the exclusives strategy. I actually prefer gamepass with a whole library games ready to go over the once a year first party exclusive, which may or may not be worth the wait. And, I can get most big “exclusives” on Steam nowadays anyway.

MS have bought Activision/Blizzard and Bethesda. There are rumors they are looking into buying Netherrealms and WB Games. Their strategy is to make gamepass so robust and full of great ip that the value is just insane…call of duty, diablo, elder scrolls, fallout, halo, gears of war, and maybe Batman and mk all as part of a sub? With new game day 1 releases?

This is their strategy, I’m not sure the market will embrace it as quickly as they would like, but I’m fine with it. You can routinely get gamepass keys for 40% off, so I’ve been enjoying a slew of games for dirt cheap prices.

Alan Wake

If a game is a huge system seller, it will stay Xbox (and pc) exclusive forever or at least several years.

Everything else, release on every platform and make as much money as possible.

They will stay in the console business. The rumor is that the next Xbox will be able to sideload Steam. If true, it will probably sell very well. The console is just a gateway to gamepass sales. Long term, there is MUCH, MUCH more money in a subscription service like gamepass than selling hardware. So, if it sideloads Steam or whatever, MS doesn’t care. They just want you to buy it so you’ll hopefully sub to gamepass.

I am fine with this. I own all consoles, but prefer Xbox. I get a lot of use out of gamepass, and I don’t care if MS is dropping the exclusives strategy. I actually prefer gamepass with a whole library games ready to go over the once a year first party exclusive, which may or may not be worth the wait. And, I can get most big “exclusives” on Steam nowadays anyway.

MS have bought Activision/Blizzard and Bethesda. There are rumors they are looking into buying Netherrealms and WB Games. Their strategy is to make gamepass so robust and full of great ip that the value is just insane…call of duty, diablo, elder scrolls, fallout, halo, gears of war, and maybe Batman and mk all as part of a sub? With new game day 1 releases?

This is their strategy, I’m not sure the market will embrace it as quickly as they would like, but I’m fine with it. You can routinely get gamepass keys for 40% off, so I’ve been enjoying a slew of games for dirt cheap prices.
Problem is, what could even be a huge system seller at this point when people will naturally wonder if this or that game will end up on PlayStation? They've created so much uncertainty around exclusivity that a lot of gamers will hesitate before buying an Xbox next time. Why put all your eggs in the green basket when you can put them in the blue and most likely get everything on the same platform.

Woopah

To add a little more context Microsoft were aggressively price-cutting hardware and bundling new games to outsell and not be outsold by much in other months those first few years of XBO.
Correct. In summer 2016 they had price cuts ahead of the launch of Xbox One S, and followed this up with Madden/FIFA/Minecraft/Battlefield bundles, plus Gears 4
Hmmm, 360 dominated PS3 in the US though. It wasn't until late into the generation that PS3 actually won a few months in NPD.
Here's the total of each in the US after 3 years and 1.5 months:

Xbox One - 15.85 million
Xbox 360 - 13.87 million

So what Phil said in early 2017 isn't really surprising.
but doesn't the very existence of game pass work almost directly against the concept of 'huge system seller'?...
Not necessarily. A gamepass that was only on Xbox could still have had system selling games (if Xbox had produced such a thing).

BlackTron

The only logical approach at this point is to expect every Xbox first-party game to eventually make it's way to Playstation.

Xbox fans want to know whether the only reason they're keeping it is timed exclusivity or if they even have that anymore, which is reasonable.

But then the last bastion of Xbox supporters would jump so it's better to lie to them at their expense.

BlackTron

The problem is that it's like they don't have a clear vision in ANYTHING they do...from game releases to naming their consoles to what their services do. Even the new tiers on Gamepass are a mess and overtly complicated.

The fact they named their consoles:

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S / X

Like what does all of this even mean?

Xbox ZERO

You think I'm making a joke about it not existing but this is actually dumb enough a name for them to actually use.

Topher

Gold Member
Here's the total of each in the US after 3 years and 1.5 months:

Xbox One - 15.85 million
Xbox 360 - 13.87 million

So what Phil said in early 2017 isn't really surprising.

That's fair. Numbers were up, but they lost substantial market share. Depends on how you look at it.

tr1p1ex

Who is confused? The PS owner? The Xbox owner? The potential XBox/PS owner? The pc owner? The Switch owner?

It's a non-issue.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
I still find it hilarious that they ditched consoles exclusives and then wonder why they are in third place.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
The current talk is that the next console will be high end and will allow other store fronts. Sounds like a PC to me.

The handheld will be a Windows device with an Xbox overlay IMO.

Haven’t the Surface team taken full control also or have I imagined that?
Surface team is supposed to be designing it but nothing official. Maybe the new Xbox’s will just be pc’s but the os needs to be redesigned for consoles.

Top Bottom