• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Bell recalls some of its ice cream products due to Listeria.....again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be missing something because I too don't think Blue Bell is any good. It's absolutely average. It tastes like skim milk mixed with sugar and chemicals.

Leatherface

Out of curiousity, I googled it. For 12 bucks (plus 13 bucks shipping) a pint it had better be the best fucking ice cream imaginable.

It really is. It's unbelievable. They have deals around holidays. However, they also have a store finder to see if anyone around you carries it. You should check it out. I know they carry it in Whole Foods in various areas. I actually called them and asked to if they could try to get the Whole Foods out by me to carry it and sure as shit, they did! Now I can just roll into my local whole foods and get my fix. :D

kmfdmpig

Here in Arizona when Blue Bell went away it was replaced by Tillamook. That was a major upgrade as Tillamook is awesome (Malted Moo Shake and Mint Chocolate Chip in particular).

Blue Bell keeps embarrassing themselves with Listeria. I can't imagine how this could happen to them again. It would be like the Note 9 catching fire in 2018. Once you make this type of mistake and try to regain trust you should be much more careful going forward. They're going to run out of customer goodwill if they keep running into these issues (particularly as there are better options out there like Tillamook, Talenti, etc.. that will be happy to take their shelf-space).

mkenyon

Banned
God tier ice cream you can find anywhere on the B
w
est Coast:

06-20141005_190137.jpg

God tier ice cream you can find anywhere:

neither has had issues with listeria.

Caleb187

Bluebell I would rank as equal to trader Joe's ice cream, which is also good. Talenti and Häagen-Dazs are better but cost much more too. Ben and Jerry's is good if you crave candy chunks in your ice cream.

Looks like Ralph's and Whole Foods are the only stores near me that allegedly carry Halo Top. I say "allegedly," since I think Halo Top's map is outdated, as it lists a Ralph's that's been closed for years.

Zoe

How do you let this happen twice? It's heartbreaking because I loved Blue Bell.

It seems to be about the cookie dough again. I wonder if the cookie dough is made somewhere else or in another factory. They just need to stop using that shit. I'll just continue buying Publix brand ice cream, damn you Chocolate Trinity. And Pumpkin Pie is right around the corner too.

They don't make the cookie dough. It's the 3rd party manufacturer who had listeria.

I haven't seen Blue Bell in a long time, likely due to moving from Arkansas to California, but i don't miss it at all. It wasn't anything special.

styl3s

Pretty much. Availability of ice cream brands varies by region, but around here Turkey Hill is the only low-end ice cream that's pretty good for the price. Or maybe Mayfield, if I can find it. Blue Bell is average at best. Too many ingredients and too much air.
I pretty much exclusively buy Mayfield dairy products. Dip, ice cream, milk, cottage cheese etc.

Blue Bell has always been eh to me there are just too many other amazing products out there and i am lucky enough to live in a city where i can get Mayfield anywhere including gas stations. Kays is also fantastic if you are lucky enough to live near an actual Kays or if your store sells it i go to my local Kays at least 2-3 times during summer to get me some of that superman ice cream.

Neverfade

I was eating a lot of Halo Top ice cream over the summer. Only 240 calories for the entire pint, very low sugar and it has a good amount of protein. Plus it tastes just like ice cream and not like a healthy alternative.

+1 Halo Top. It's the real deal. Doesn't taste cheap/shitty/artificial/etc.

Man, dinged twice in such rapid succession. If they don't go out of business I'll be really surprised.

They won't. People don't give a shit. Here in Houston, people were throwing fucking fits until they got their Blue Bell back. They didn't give two shits that they knew about the listeria issue for two years.

NH Apache

Banned
They won't. People don't give a shit. Here in Houston, people were throwing fucking fits until they got their Blue Bell back. They didn't give two shits that they knew about the listeria issue for two years.

This. BB has its grasp on the deep south. In Louisiana, it is revered.

Because it is the goddamn best.

The article in the OP is omitting that the recall is due to the third party supplier that creates the cookie dough recalling that product not something that happened in the Blue Bell facility.

Oh and Blue Bell makes the best cookies and cream going.

I can't believe someone in here suggested Breyers. That stuff is always on sale and for good reason. That stuff is awful.

So I really wanted to try the cookie 2 step and I've been looking for it in stores for the past month to no avail. Now I find out it has been discontinued :(

Here in GA, it mainly has such a hold because of the price/size ratio on top of, for a sustained window of time some years on back, a sudden prevalence of Crazy Types/Combos upon which the only competition was pricey/small Haagen-Dazs because Ben & Jerry's hadn't quite arrived* just yet.

Blue Bell just needs to hang it up at this rate especially next to Jeni's who went all out to move heaven and earth when they had their multi-faceted bout with Listeria to get it handled like real professionals.

Of course, many places have shown up and/or stepped up their game now to where they've fallen big time---not entirely dissimilar to the frozen pizza wars in this region where Red Baron/Tombstone/DiGiornio were absolutely everywhere and unimpeachable until they suddenly weren't because of much the same.

If you want the greatest of mint chips though, you want either La-Loo's Rumplemint for that GOAT goodness or Three Twins Mint Chocolate Confetti----both brands alongside Jeni's and precious few others are really tearing it up nowadays.

Gelato Fiasco on that front as well---ass kickers extraordinaire.

The only thing that doesn't change is the shit for options on Frozen Custards at the storefronts...

kmfdmpig

The article in the OP is omitting that the recall is due to the third party supplier that creates the cookie dough recalling that product not something that happened in the Blue Bell facility.

Oh and Blue Bell makes the best cookies and cream going.

I can't believe someone in here suggested Bryers. That stuff is always on sale and for good reason. That stuff is awful.

It's like the Note 7 or a car with a faulty airbag. Ultimately no one cares where in the supply chain things went wrong, it's the company that sells to the consumer that takes the PR hit. Whether that's fair or not is another question, but most people will see this as another Blue Bell issue, not a supplier issue.

I can't believe some people in this thread actually think Blue Bell isn't the best.

I haven't had blue bell in years, but I don't get it either.

When I was a kid a new tub of banana split blue bell ice cream was always the most exciting thing that would come from our shopping sprees.

andymcc

Banned
jeni's is way better but it also had to close down kitchens and change suppliers due to listeria. Blue Bell had the issue at the same time last time so hopefully this isn't a shared distributor/ingredient provider issue.

It's like the Note 7 or a car with a faulty airbag. Ultimately no one cares where in the supply chain things went wrong, it's the company that sells to the consumer that takes the PR hit. Whether that's fair or not is another question, but most people will see this as another Blue Bell issue, not a supplier issue.

That true, but a responsible journalist would list the actual cause for people who care to be informed, especially when it's a completely different issue.

What a shame. I like their Cherry Vanilla, but haven't eaten it in years.

On a side note, since other brands are being discussed, anyone know of a good cherry cheesecake ice cream? I used to get New York Cherry Cheesecake under Kroger's Private Selection brand, but they stopped making it years ago.

DOWN

Banned
Note 7 was Samsung's fault for real tho

Bio-Frost

I was eating a lot of Halo Top ice cream over the summer. Only 240 calories for the entire pint, very low sugar and it has a good amount of protein. Plus it tastes just like ice cream and not like a healthy alternative.

Thank you so much. I saw this post and me and my fiancee went to the store at 9:30pm just to buy this. Tastes exactly like you said. Amazing.

this_guy

Thank you so much. I saw this post and me and my fiancee went to the store at 9:30pm just to buy this. Tastes exactly like you said. Amazing.

A pint is better for you after a workout than most Smoothie King shakes because you get just as much protein but without all the sugar and calories.

I wish I could get more flavors.

DJChuy

There aren't much options here (South Texas) aside from HEB creamy creations, Hygenia, Brewer and the ice cream from Sam's Club. Maybe the HEB I go to sucks. Hopefully the others have a variety of ice cream.

It's a shame about the recall. Might stick with HEB for a while.

So, I found and tried this mythical Halo Top, and it's kind of bad. Really disappointing, considering the rave reviews in this thread. And it's also $6.29 per pint! Meanwhile, Talenti had its seasonal peppermint bark and eggnog flavors right now.

Back to Talenti, then.

I read the ingredient list for Blue Bell and I'm like big whoop. HFCS and other basic shit all over the place.

You can get better from Publix Premium or like Kroger premium reserve or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom