• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

quin

So the Blue Dragon Bundle is a good system to pick up? This will be my only xbox so will not having the hard drive be a problem?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Oh my...

Those grabs really DO look considerably better than any of the grabs that you've made before BlimBlim... damn.

The game really looks like CG now... it's unbelievable that all that is in-game - the look of the game is really incredible...

Day one purchase in Europe - and I don't mind that it'll be some months before it comes out, seeing as I will have my hands full with LP, Crackdown, Halo 3 beta and finishing up my 360 backlog as well!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Skilotonn said:
Oh my...

Those grabs really DO look considerably better than any of the grabs that you've made before BlimBlim... damn.
Yeah I know, and to think I lost one year doing these damn average if not even bad captures and never even tried that trick. Too bad it won't work with some PS3 games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought this on release day in Japan and finished it in about 55 hours just going through it normally the first time. I played through it another time already trying to get the difficult achievements.

Its already one of my favorite RPGs of all time, but I definitely agree with the low difficulty complaints. I assume they kept it low for a reason, but the main story is pretty easy for anyone who plays a lot of RPGs. The extra bosses can be a real challenge, though.

Regardless this game kicks ass.

reriel

How is this compare to DQ8 ? about dungeon design, story, character development, world design, battle system and general experience ?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Blimblim said:
Yeah I know, and to think I lost one year doing these damn average if not even bad captures and never even tried that trick. Too bad it won't work with some PS3 games.

Well, better late than never, because the grabs are really something - I think I'm gonna go insane watching this game in motion when it gets localised - but I really hope they are working on fixing on the little bits of slowdown that a few people have mentioned...

reriel said:
let's hope there will be a better level difficulty for the usa version =__=

I don't mind the easy difficulty myself, since I don't even play JRPG's, so it'll be even better for me to ease into...

Hunahan

Banned
Sorry if this is old, guys, but I just got the new "Game Informer" magazine today that has Blue Dragon on the cover, and there's a few tidbits about the localization I hadn't heard before.

First, Hees Kyung, global product manager of Blue Dragon, confirms that the NA release will not be altered in any way beyond language translation, re-dubbed vocals, and a re-recording of english versions of the songs that Kluke sings.

Also, he confirms that the original Japanese language tracks with english subtitles will be available by option for people who would prefer those within the standard release.

Third, he talks about post-release downloadable content that will have "a significant impact on post-release Blue Dragon around the world," although no details are given about what this is. Game Informer guesses at "new dungeons and extra-hard bosses," but it's impossible to tell if they are actually hinting at something they know, or just making stuff up to fill the page.

Finally, they are listing the NA release for the game as "summer" in this magazine, which seems to have an air of credibility considering it is printed right next to the global product manager talking about the localization efforts on the facing page.

There's also an interview with Sakaguchi. Here's a couple good quotes that I thought stood out:

- When asked if Blue Dragon was created for the Japanese audience:

"I am less concerned with target audience when creating games. I believe in the 'enjoyment' or 'fun' that transcends age and nationality, and I just thought about sticking to the direction that was very clear in my mind."

- When asked about Action RPG's as opposed to Turn-Based

"I had no desire to be swayed by a fad. Conversely, if there are less turn-based games now, then the project may have scarcity value."

Also interesting that Sakaguchi wrote the lyrics for "Eternity" himself....

GhaleonEB

Hunahan said:
Sorry if this is old, guys, but I just got the new "Game Informer" magazine today that has Blue Dragon on the cover, and there's a few tidbits about the localization I hadn't heard before.

First, Hees Kyung, global product manager of Blue Dragon, confirms that the NA release will not be altered in any way beyond language translation, re-dubbed vocals, and a re-recording of english versions of the songs that Kluke sings.

Also, he confirms that the original Japanese language tracks with english subtitles will be available by option for people who would prefer those within the standard release.
0_0

scarybore

Hunahan said:

I really didn't expect that but it is very nice to have, especially with all the talent on the Japanese release.

"I had no desire to be swayed by a fad. Conversely, if there are less turn-based games now, then the project may have scarcity value."

Fad :lol

Sallokin

Is there a specific reason for the 6 month delay in localization? I could have swore that I remember reading something about them doing localization concurrent with the development of the game.

XSamu

Banned
Hunahan said:
:D :D :D

arne

Sallokin said:
Is there a specific reason for the 6 month delay in localization? I could have swore that I remember reading something about them doing localization concurrent with the development of the game.

It wasn't concurrent.

Sallokin said:

Lost Odyssey.

Akira

Hunahan said:

Very good news! When was the last time this was done for a localization?

clashfan

Hunahan said:

I think the new Game Informer also has a small article about Eternal Sonata. 2007 is shaping up to be a good year for jrpg on the 360.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Why isn't localization concurrently done when it comes to oversea games? Does it require so much resources that it would slow down general development of the game, or something?

;_;

It just sucks that after all these years we still have to wait half a year or even longer for an overseas game to come out over here.

Also, if I remember correctly, Xenosaga games came out fairly quickly to the states? And that game is full of BLAH BLAH BLAH so its like wtf when games like Blue Dragon aren't coming out sooner.

goldenpp72

I imagine the scenerio went like this, microsoft wanted blue dragon for japan asap and put focus on its release in japan, america has gears and the like so it can wait.

LO is supposdly getting translated for worldwide release, but we will see.

Matt_C

Akira said:
Hunahan said:

Very good news! When was the last time this was done for a localization?

The Nippon Ichi/Altus localized games says hi mainly Disegea, La Puchelle Tatics, and others.

dili

BlueTsunami said:
Why isn't localization concurrently done when it comes to oversea games? Does it require so much resources that it would slow down general development of the game, or something?

;_;

It just sucks that after all these years we still have to wait half a year or even longer for an overseas game to come out over here.

Also, if I remember correctly, Xenosaga games came out fairly quickly to the states? And that game is full of BLAH BLAH BLAH so its like wtf when games like Blue Dragon aren't coming out sooner.
Xenosaga III was released alittle over a month after the japanese version,and Xenosaga has TONS of dialogue and text. If namco bandai can localise an RPG for NA in alittle over a month wich has a heavy amount of voice acting and text,really theres no excuse for any other RPG developer to take much longer.

goldenpp72 said:
I imagine the scenerio went like this, microsoft wanted blue dragon for japan asap and put focus on its release in japan, america has gears and the like so it can wait.

LO is supposdly getting translated for worldwide release, but we will see.

about LO: i've been told by a person who works in the studio that's in charge of some stuff like: cinematics , models (background and characters) and animation. that the characters will "speak" english, instead of japanese, maybe he's working in stuff for the NA release, but he told me that they're doing the lipsync for english... kinda annoying, but i remember it was told some months ago that the game was already being localizated to other languages

another thing he said to me is that they use to do hi-quality works, and he doubts that XTS can move such models (huge amount of polygs on screen) but he says that what they have rite now is awesome..

i'll keep you updated as long as i get new info on this.

BlimBlim: great shots!

Bebpo

Banned
intheinbetween said:
about LO: i've been told by a person who works in the studio that's in charge of some stuff like: cinematics , models (background and characters) and animation. that the characters will "speak" english, instead of japanese, maybe he's working in stuff for the NA release, but he told me that they're doing the lipsync for english... kinda annoying, but i remember it was told some months ago that the game was already being localizated to other languages

Yeah, that's about the only way you'll get a Japanese rpg out in the US within 3 months (assuming you aren't Konami). Given the quality of English dubs, no Japanese voice track will be disappointing if true.

intheinbetween said:

another thing he said to me is that they use to do hi-quality works, and he doubts that XTS can move such models (huge amount of polygs on screen) but he says that what they have rite now is awesome..

Thanx for the info and i cant wait to see more of LO.

duckroll

icecream said:
So does that mean BD is going against Eternal Sonata for the blockbuster JRPG of the summer? :D

Nope. It just means BD is FFXII and ES is Tales of the Abyss. After undershipping AND underselling because of poor timing and crappy marketing, Scamco Hometek management will once again feel vindicated that their homegrown properties are better than stinky Japanese projects and hence justifies the crappy localization budgets they give out in the first place. :lol

clashfan

intheinbetween said:

What is XTS? So are you saying LO is looking alot better then the TGS demo?

Hunahan

Banned
clashfan said:
I think the new Game Informer also has a small article about Eternal Sonata. 2007 is shaping up to be a good year for jrpg on the 360.

It does have a page on Eternal Sonata, but there's nothing really new there that I can see. Noguchi talks a bit about how he wants it to be easy to pick up and play, and how light and dark will be important in the game's battle system. He notes it's not about death, but about the "light and hope we find at the end of the tunnel." There's also four screenshots of the battle engine, but they all look like they are taken from the TGS demo to me...

And yeah, this is definately going to be the year for 360 rpg's. Particularly if LO really makes it in time for the holidays to cap things off. Now that's a 1-2-3 combo punch I'll be happy to take in the jaw.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Hmmm, looks like there won't be any further optimizations of the engine to remove most of the tearing and slowdowns. I guess they are doing it like N3's localization, with no real input from the developers. Ho well.
Next Gamersyde Diairies (online later today) will have some nice BD footage :)

Hunahan said:
- When asked about Action RPG's as opposed to Turn-Based

Also interesting that Sakaguchi wrote the lyrics for "Eternity" himself....

wow....I dont agree at all...I want rpgs to go towards more interaction.

peace

Fady K

dillenger said:
Xenosaga III was released alittle over a month after the japanese version,and Xenosaga has TONS of dialogue and text. If namco bandai can localise an RPG for NA in alittle over a month wich has a heavy amount of voice acting and text,really theres no excuse for any other RPG developer to take much longer.

QFT

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
intheinbetween said:

Its been a while since I played the demo of Lost Odyssey but I believe it was fully voiced and in Japanese. I will check again when I get home.

Zefah said:
Its been a while since I played the demo of Lost Odyssey but I believe it was fully voiced and in Japanese. I will check again when I get home.

yeah, the demo is only in japanese, i know it because i bought that Famitsu Special Issue, i think i've completed that demo over ten times or so

i'll give you some technical details about the work my friend's studio is doing on LO later guys

duckroll

Sakaguchi already said the game will be dual language in the US, so it definitely has a Japanese track. :p

Not that it matters, because unless Feel+ suddenly learned how to master the UE3 engine, the game is still going to be loaded with technical issues.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
intheinbetween said:
yeah, the demo is only in japanese, i know it because i bought that Famitsu Special Issue, i think i've completed that demo over ten times or so

i'll give you some technical details about the work my friend's studio is doing on LO later guys

I think I misread your post. I thought you meant that the game was going to only be recorded in English, but you just meant that the lip-syncing would be done only in English, right?

Lost Odyssey is using the Unreal 3 engine right? It looked a lot like it from that demo. I have high hopes for the game but I hope they are able to get rid of those nasty load times when loading up battles. The game still has a ways to go until release so I'm sure they can optimize it at least a well as Blue Dragon.

i told before that the studio in wich my friend works at, is working rite now in the lipsync for the english voices, but he told me that was annoying because the demo was in japanese, maybe they've hired other studio for the lipsync of the japanese voices, but i don't know a simple thing about that

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
Not that it matters, because unless Feel+ suddenly learned how to master the UE3 engine, the game is still going to be loaded with technical issues.
They came to terms with UE3 some time ago. FWIW, that demo was made a long time before we actually got to play it. The UE3 expert that was brought over to Tokyo to help the process was free to go home last year anyway ;)

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
They came to terms with UE3 some time ago. FWIW, that demo was made a long time before we actually got to play it. The UE3 expert that was brought over to Tokyo to help the process was free to go home last year anyway ;)

So they released something that would make the game look bad on purpose?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
So they released something that would make the game look bad on purpose?

I think it served it served its purpose for an early demo build. It was made for TGS and was probably completed at least a month in advance so it is definitely old material. Hell the only things wrong with it were the load times and low framerate in some areas. The game itself looked quite good in my opinion.

reriel

intheinbetween, do you know if this lip sync include Kaim, the main character ? because from the tgs demo seem like he's mute :/

reriel said:
intheinbetween, do you know if this lip sync include Kaim, the main character ? because from the tgs demo seem like he's mute :/

i gotta talk to him later, so i'll ask him about that.

i don't think Mistwalker released the LO demo in purpose, i have the feeling that MS pushed them hard to release the demo just to get the japanese gamers' attention in LO and Blue Dragon, just remember LO demo came out before PS3 launch, as well as BD altough it didn't have any demo.

later

Orodreth

Blimblim said:
Hmmm, looks like there won't be any further optimizations of the engine to remove most of the tearing and slowdowns. I guess they are doing it like N3's localization, with no real input from the developers. Ho well.

A pity. At least, its great they´ll keep the original japanese voices.

Let´s hope they choose better ones for the english anyway and don´t follow N3. That ones were cheesy/corny enough.

reriel

intheinbetween said:
i gotta talk to him later, so i'll ask him about that.

i don't think Mistwalker released the LO demo in purpose, i have the feeling that MS pushed them hard to release the demo just to get the japanese gamers' attention in LO and Blue Dragon, just remember LO demo came out before PS3 launch, as well as BD altough it didn't have any demo.

later
many thanks in advance, it would be a shame a mute main character on a supposedly story driven jrpg :/

Top Bottom