• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Jonnyram said:
All done.
Man, the music in that last dungeon was ****ing amazing. Not to mention the cutscenes :D
I'm pretty depressed that it's over actually. One of the best games I've played in a long time and really satisfying. 104hrs on the clock in the end.

The Hori pad has an excellent d-pad. That was the first reason for buying it, but the auto-fire helps a lot in Blue Dragon too. I thank Troidal for the recommendation on both accounts.
Congrats on beating the game and how about a full review?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Since when does the OXM, any of them, do import reviews? Especially for such a profile game that's been confirmed for released outside Japan? I call bullshit.
Anyway, I've played a bit more this afternoon. I love flying around with the Mechat.
Some of the things at the yellow points are really strong. I got killed in 2 hits by the
other tree boss
, ouch. I finished the
ruin forest
, there wasn't much there in fact or I missed something. I actived all seven things and opened all the chests, but that's it. Is there something more there? The point is now yellow and orange.
My characters are now between levels 48 and 50, with their shadows at mostly the same level. I don't really feel strong, except Kluke when she doesn't get killed instantly, and Zola thanks to her 2 hit combo. Marumaro is the most useless of the bunch for me, his charge attacks are too long to be effective.

Jonnyram

Blimblim said:
My characters are now between levels 48 and 50, with their shadows at mostly the same level. I don't really feel strong, except Kluke when she doesn't get killed instantly, and Zola thanks to her 2 hit combo. Marumaro is the most useless of the bunch for me, his charge attacks are too long to be effective.
Seecube
and
Mechat Base
should be well within your level. Or you might have finished both already? The enemies outside Noluta Village give really good exp actually - as long as you have got a strong Nagiharai (the sword skill that attacks a whole line at once). You can get 1000 exp per fight.

Or you could always just continue the story part and see how that goes... some of the stuff in the last dungeon gives really good exp, and you can come back at any time before the final boss, in spite of what it says.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I can't believe one of the most beautiful places in the game is actually an optional village!
bd39.jpg

bd40.jpg

bd41.jpg

This was also one of the first place of the game ever unveiled!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm still dying to get my hands on this. :(

Why oh why do you insist on region locks, Microsoft?!? That alone has me rooting for Sony all the more as I play so many Japanese games these days.

What's the current price on a Japanese 360? If there are enough Japanese titles on the machine, I might consider grabbing one just to avoid this whole ordeal in the future. I'd much rather play the Japanese release than the English version, so it might be my only option.

Was the game interesting throughout, by the way? 104 hours seems like a rather legnthy game (almost too long for me right now, unfortunately). I'm hoping there aren't a lot of dead zones in there.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
What's the current price on a Japanese 360? If there are enough Japanese titles on the machine, I might consider grabbing one just to avoid this whole ordeal in the future. I'd much rather play the Japanese release than the English version, so it might be my only option.

I'd grab the Blue Dragon bundle (~$300) and then just move your hard drive back and forth when you switch to the JPN machine for a JPN game.

That way you can also play Trusty Bell in a few months (probably late march) and then LO (assuming it turns out ok), and the Tri-Ace game (which you know will be visually amazing), without waiting 3-12 months for localizations.

dark10x

Bebpo said:
I'd grab the Blue Dragon bundle (~$300) and then just move your hard drive back and forth when you switch to the JPN machine for a JPN game.

That way you can also play Trusty Bell in a few months (probably late march) and then LO (assuming it turns out ok), and the Tri-Ace game (which you know will be visually amazing), without waiting 3-12 months for localizations.
$300 eh? Not bad at all.

That might be a good solution to the problem. Are there any other JP games worth playing in addition to Blue Dragon right now?

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
$300 eh? Not bad at all.

That might be a good solution to the problem. Are there any other JP games worth playing in addition to Blue Dragon right now?

Senko no Ronde is interesting, though it's more of a "buy at 2000yen" game. EDF3 is great, though the US version is march and $40. Lost Planet...well that's out in the US tomorrow. Tengai Makyou Zirai is not very good. All the Idea Factory games are terrible. Culdcept is a good game, and supposedly they fixed the online (besides a spell card that crashes online games on two maps), but the single player is not as good as the PS2/DC ones because the animations are slow and unskippable. There's also Project Sylpheed, which Jonnyram and Blimblim really liked but TheTrin hated (I'm still waiting for it to drop to $30 at P-A).

Hmm...so yeah, there's nothing else I'd really run out and get. If you don't have anything to play and have a friend who can play co-op with you I'd definitely recommend EDF3 because in co-op it really is a great game.

Jonnyram

Blimblim said:
I can't believe one of the most beautiful places in the game is actually an optional village!

That was OPTIONAL!? I had no idea... After I ran through the small forest area before that village, it wouldn't let me turn back, so I thought I had to do that first.. I imagine it's absurdly easy when you're level 50 ;)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jonnyram said:
That was OPTIONAL!? I had no idea... After I ran through the small forest area before that village, it wouldn't let me turn back, so I thought I had to do that first.. I imagine it's absurdly easy when you're level 50 ;)
Yeah it was really really easy indeed. The boss didn't even have time to touch my characters once :)

john tv

dark10x said:
$300 eh? Not bad at all.

Just get a memory card. Moving the HD back and forth is a bit much, IMO.

Jonnyram

john tv said:
Just get a memory card. Moving the HD back and forth is a bit much, IMO.
It depends if there will be any major DLC for Japanese games in the future. If so, it's probably worth having a HDD on both machines. They're $99 which is only double the price of the memory card. Unfortunately, I think you need the memory card to use your profile on two machines, don't you? At least that's the smoothest solution.

I dunno how big the next Blue Dragon download will be, but they're supposedly adding new dungeons and monsters at some stage. If the data is not on the disc already, it could be a chunky download.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Torippo torippo!
This character is just too weird. I know it's Toriyama's avatar, but what's the explanation they use in the game for him to be there?

XSamu

Banned
Blimblim said:
bd39.jpg

bd40.jpg

bd41.jpg

So goddamn pretty

KGKK

Banned
This game looks and sounds so good. Man I wished I lived in Japan so I could buy the bundled 360 which is dirt cheap compared to here in Canada. $499.99 for the non retard 360 plus 15% tax.

Jonnyram

Blimblim said:
Torippo torippo!
This character is just too weird. I know it's Toriyama's avatar, but what's the explanation they use in the game for him to be there?
He got lost. Have you been to the
Aurora Ruins
yet? You can go at your level, I think. It's one of the yellow stars.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jonnyram said:
He got lost. Have you been to the
Aurora Ruins
yet? You can go at your level, I think. It's one of the yellow stars.
Where
he's a prisoner of a boss?
. I got killed there, but it looked pretty :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Last time I post images of the game, but since I *finally* found a way to do some good quality captures with my hardware, I just HAD to do some more :)

bd42.jpg

bd43.jpg

bd44.jpg

bd45.jpg

bd46.jpg

bd47.jpg

bd48.jpg

bd49.jpg

bd50.jpg

bd51.jpg

bd52.jpg

Blimblim

The Inside Track
sephiroth6 said:
Beautiful pictures blim,the level of detail is just incredible.
Yeah, I can finally show why I thought this game looked so incredible. I'm just incredibly pissed off it took me one year to finally find a way to do good captures with that hardware.

Blimblim said:
Yeah, I can finally show why I thought this game looked so incredible. I'm just incredibly pissed off it took me one year to finally find a way to do good captures with that hardware.
Better late than never and if you passed the game i have a question about the credits-how many people worked on the game(try a specific number)?

Blimblim while those pictures are pretty, you should post the prettier places too! I've seen more awesome looking stuff than what you posted on your site's last Blue Dragon post.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
sephiroth6 said:
Better late than never and if you passed the game i have a question about the credits-how many people worked on the game(try a specific number)?
I haven't finished it yet (working on optional stuff), but there credit are also in the booklet, and they are crazy long.
Main credits: 32 people (also credited elsewhere for the most part)
Voice actors: 39
Microsoft: 18 (marketing and also audio/art/game design)
Mistwalker: 9 (marketing/vp)
Artoon: ~300 (that's crazy!)
Music: 15
Recording: 7
Sound: 8
CG (Robot) : 3
Story Unit ufo table: 5
CG Unit Shirogomi Inc: 45
Jet Studio: 7
Live Company LTD: 9
Sunny Gapen LTD: 3
Print: 3
Test: 13
Microsoft Games Studio: 39
Microsoft: 11
Microsoft tests: ~60

Blimblim said:
I haven't finished it yet (working on optional stuff), but there credit are also in the booklet, and they are crazy long.
OMG that is alot of people but then again i think it shows beautifuly and considering how this game has incredible modeling i belive a huge number of people at artoon are modelers and tnx blim:D .

Blimblim

The Inside Track
32 character&monster modelers
62 animators
30 town modelers
21 dungeons modelers
12 misc modelers
37 realtime cutscenes motion artists

dark10x

Blimblim said:
Wait a second, those numbers suggest that the primary development house involved in this game was Artoon. Of course, if Artoon handled all of the actual visual work, I could understand that.

dark10x said:
Wait a second, those numbers suggest that the primary development house involved in this game was Artoon. Of course, if Artoon handled all of the actual visual work, I could understand that.
Blue dragon was in pre-production for a year with only mistwalker(a couple of people) and then they hired artoon to do the work(for a year and half i think) while mistwalker had full control over the game(gameplay,story,design...).

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Thanks for the hard work of taking pics and uploading for us, Blimsters, Blimsicles, Bliminator and Blim-shim-din-flimmy-blim.

duckroll

dark10x said:

Has it ever been suggested otherwise? Mistwalker is a shell company.

J2 Cool

Wow. That swayed me a bit as to what will be my first next gen system. Game looks gorgeous. Looks like it would be a blast to explore.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dark10x said:
Artoon did all the grunt work (coding/modeling/animation) and also some of the game and world design.

Jonnyram

Wow, Blimblim. Your new caps look :O
You should go back and do some more of Sylpheed to get more people interested in the awesomeness that it is!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jonnyram said:
Wow, Blimblim. Your new caps look :O
You should go back and do some more of Sylpheed to get more people interested in the awesomeness that it is!
He, I'll think about it. I still have EDF3 waiting for me to finally do some videos, but I simply can't seem to enjoy that game at all.

An actual airship?! :D I haven't used one of those since FFIX (of course I only actually play the Squaresoft RPGS). I wasn't thinking much of this game until I came into this thread, and now I've been anticipating it crazily. Is there a US release date?

Square Edge said:
An actual airship?! :D I haven't used one of those since FFIX (of course I only actually play the Squaresoft RPGS). I wasn't thinking much of this game until I came into this thread, and now I've been anticipating it crazily. Is there a US release date?
There isnt an official date but june is my guess.
I found this video showing the physics of bd in a interesting way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TDPTWhmc7I :lol .

Aaron

Blimblim said:
He, I'll think about it. I still have EDF3 waiting for me to finally do some videos, but I simply can't seem to enjoy that game at all.
Make sure to set the control scheme to 'technical.' The default is horrible.

Top Bottom