• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

pswii60

Blimblim said:
That reminds me I finally received the demo of Lost Odyssey yesterday, I'll do some HD videos over the week-end.

Is this the TGS demo? Apparently it looked good but had very little substance because it was so early. I was surprised we even saw it at TGS considering Blue Dragon hadn't even been released at that point.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
pswii60 said:
Is this the TGS demo? Apparently it looked good but had very little substance because it was so early. I was surprised we even saw it at TGS considering Blue Dragon hadn't even been released at that point.
Yeah, it's the TGS demo.

ferricide

new hands-on... a bit late, yeah, but may contain some stuff you haven't seen before.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/xbox36...sectionId=1001&releaseId=20060224144516203057

you probably have heard a lot of the info inside of this from other gamers on this forum, but i did in fact beat the game so it's well-informed.

perhaps more of interest are the 86 high-res screens of the game alongside it? =)

to see them hi-res, click the "images" tab and then click on an image to bring up the viewer. to see it hi-res, click "supersize."

there's also a new gameplay movie. more to come...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Pretty nice writeup ferricide. The screens look nice but the jpg compression is brutal for the 720p version. What capture hardware did you use?

Tongue

ferricide said:
new hands-on... a bit late, yeah, but may contain some stuff you haven't seen before.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/xbox36...sectionId=1001&releaseId=20060224144516203057

you probably have heard a lot of the info inside of this from other gamers on this forum, but i did in fact beat the game so it's well-informed.

perhaps more of interest are the 86 high-res screens of the game alongside it? =)

to see them hi-res, click the "images" tab and then click on an image to bring up the viewer. to see it hi-res, click "supersize."

there's also a new gameplay movie. more to come...

Very nice. Thanks for the link!

Orodreth

ferricide said:

Thanks.

Its great to read the consensus regarding the cheerful saturday morning cartoon/anime flavour of the game (even be compared to pixar) with charming characters and locations and an over the top villain (plus the companion which i love from what i´ve seen).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I just stopped with the optional stuff on disc 3 and went to the "last dungeon". OMG I did not expect this AT ALL. What awesome game this is, I've been totally taken by surprise. Great stuff, really!

ferricide

Blimblim said:
Pretty nice writeup ferricide. The screens look nice but the jpg compression is brutal for the 720p version. What capture hardware did you use?
that probably has a lot more to do with photoshop -- our capture equipment is pretty amazing. i don't know too much about it technically, though. i didn't actually capture as JPG though, i saved the images as BMP on the mac and then brought them over. now that i think about it, i have no idea what quality photoshop was saving as.

cjelly said:
Is it wrong that I feel an ever so slight tinge towards Skies of Arcadia when I hear a mention Blue Dragon?
yes and no.. i mean, it's a charming RPG but it's not that much like it. i felt almost like i was playing dreamcast all over again cos i was actually impressed by the graphics, and the appealing tone of it makes it feel kinda like that... but there are significant differences as well. i dunno, there are worse comparisons to make.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ferricide said:
that probably has a lot more to do with photoshop -- our capture equipment is pretty amazing. i don't know too much about it technically, though. i didn't actually capture as JPG though, i saved the images as BMP on the mac and then brought them over. now that i think about it, i have no idea what quality photoshop was saving as.
Well it certainly wasn't a good quality setting, I've rarely seen such bad jpg compression :/

vireland

Does anyone have an extra Marumaro figurine they'd like to trade for a "secret" Nene figure? I have an extra Nene, but no Marumaro.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I've finally finished Blue Dragon. Man, it's been a long time since I've enjoyed a game so much. I guess Shenmue 2 was the last game to really "click" with me as much as that.
Every DVD has his own ending, so it almost feels like playing 3 games one after another. It's not just exiting a level and being greeted with a disc change prompt, each time there is a big and epic dungeon with one or more interesting boss and lots of cutscenes. Of course the very long ending of Disc 3 was the best, but it doesn't mean the other 2 weren't good. Disc 3 was just incredibly awesome, I just couldn't believe what they had done. Totally unexpected!
One part that really helped me enjoy this game was that it was quite easy. I'm pretty much a RPG n00b (only played FFX until inside Sin, and 80% of Enchant Arm, plus some Chrono Trigger) and I was playing in Japanese (with an item/powers guide though) so if the game had been really difficult I wouldn't have stand a chance. But it was just very nicely paced for me, there was no need for leveling except for the first boss, and it still took me 51 hours to complete the game. And I still had a lot of optional stuff left.
I also liked that the ending brought a complete closure to the story, it's a nice change from the last few games I've completed where there would always be something left open to ease the creation of a sequel. I have no real doubt a sequel for Blue Dragon will be released one day of course, but it's still nice that Sakaguchi didn't try to put something there that would have spoiled the pleasure of such a nice ending. And nice it is :)
I'd say my only bad point for this game would be that the tearing and slowdowns can be pretty bad at times. It's never to the point it gets unplayable, but for example there is no excuse for Zola's ultimate attack to run at like 5 fps. But thanks to the incredibly awesome lighting in that game I'm more than willing to forget about this, it just looks too damn good.
The music is also is well worth mentioning, it's excellent throughout then game, but the last one is just incredible. Some really good progressive rock. Great stuff!
Awesome game from the start to the end, can't wait to play it again with English text!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
brandonh83 said:
Does it give off a Chrono Trigger vibe at all?
It don't see why it should, it has a different writer, a different composer for the most part, only one of the composers and it does not use sprites that hardly look like Toriyama's work at all.

While it's true the last time Uematsu, Sakaguchi, and Toriyama worked together was on Chrono Trigger (and this is only because of Toriyama who doesn't work on Final Fantasy), it really doesn't mean this would be anything like the Dream Team. It's still missing a lot of people like Horii, Kitase, Tokita, Aoki, Matsui, Kato, and Mitsuda. This is suppose to be more like Dragon Quest (without being a direct rip-off), that was Sakaguchi's aim and Artoon did a good job in presenting that style with this unique clay-like presentation.

Tnx for the realy in depth final impression blim and i got a question-the amount of cgi&cutscenes is it as much as ff10(i know you havent played many jrpgs and i know this one you did).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
sephiroth6 said:
Tnx for the realy in depth final impression blim and i got a question-the amount of cgi&cutscenes is it as much as ff10(i know you havent played many jrpgs and i know this one you did).
Hmmm, tough question. It's been a long time since Ive played FFX so I don't really remember.
There are many cutscenes in BD, but never to the point where it gets annoying. The fact that they are all beautiful, realtime or prerendered, helps a lot :)
Haunted_One said:
whatwhatwhat?

\o/ for Blim!
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3942_en.html

Every time I see this thread my hunger for blue dragon grows stronger. I'm looking foward to playing the translation and hopefully it's done well.

Xamdou

Any info on a release date for U.S? Blue Dragon and Mass Effect will be the two RPG's I will be playing this year on my 360 :)

S8 RoXoRz said:
Any info on a release date for U.S? Blue Dragon and Mass Effect will be the two RPG's I will be playing this year on my 360 :)
I think I remember hearing on the 1Up Show, or 1UP yours that it is slated for June.

madhtr

snack said:
I think I remember hearing on the 1Up Show, or 1UP yours that it is slated for June.
The Game Informer with the Blue Dragon cover story said it was scheduled for Summer, so June is possible. It's not like they're adding anything to the game.

duckroll

Blue Dragon Japanese DLC Update:

16th Feb 2007:

New Game+ Mode
- Selectable difficulties between Normal, Hard and Super
- Enemies in Hard mode deal double damage, Super mode gives all enemies 50 extra levels

March 2007:

Six New Items
- Fickle Heart: Randomly increases a random category by 0 to 4 ranks
- Thief Heart: Steals the rare steal from an enemy
- Devi's Gramophone: Camp-use item. Plays the Devi Dance song.
- Nothing Glasses: When equipped you can see all Nothing Points marked with a star.
- Shuffle Helm: Magic Offense +40, Agility -40. Is there a secret?
- Spring Breeze Scarf: HP +20%, Agility +20%.

Spring 2007:

Shuffle Dungeon
- Random generation type dungeon
- New monster types (Including an evil female pirate that looks like Zora)

And that wraps it up for the Blue Dragon Japanese DLC. For a full fledged single player only JRPG, I think they've done a pretty good job. Nothing was promised before the game was released, and with all the DLC being free they're pretty much delivered. I wonder if these contents will be DLCs in the US or if they'll just be included in the game from the start though...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Thanks for the update duckroll, quite nice for DLC indeed.
As for the US/PAL version, I hear it will be the same as the Japanese one, like they did for N3. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see some worst of the slowdowns being fixed.

Hard mode sounds good, since a lot of people say that the game as default is a bit easy.

I'm glad to see the game is getting a good update or three instead of being swept along and just out there for money making.

FFChris

Hard mode sounds interesting, but can you only play on hard when you complete the game? Given that it's in Game + mode, it gives me that impression.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the EU release of this game, and I hope some of the slowdown is fixed by then.

Hunahan

Banned
Yeah, pretty good DLC for a JRPG, I'm impressed. And free pricing too....can't complain about that.

Hopefully at least some of it gets in on the MS promise that devs can add new achievements to the DLC now. It would be great to get an achievement for completing that "Super Hard +50 levels" Game+ mode, for example....or maybe for doing "X" number of levels in the random-generated dungeon.

Now if we could just get a firm NA release date out of them.....

Patrickula said:
Hopefully the DLC extras will be included in the US version from the start. Difficulty selection will probably deflect some criticism.

I hope it isn't. I don't want that game ganking shit until I finish. It all seems geared to those who want to play through again.

http://www.*******.com/2007/02/17/blue-dragon-anime-coming-to-tv-tokyo

Blue Dragon's universe is expanding rapidly, and Famitsu reports that an animated TV series is scheduled to air on Japan's TV Tokyo station in April. The Blue Dragon anime is in production at Studio Pierrot -- which has worked on the animated series of such hot properties as Power Stone, Naruto and Bleach -- and is directed by Yukihiro Matsushita, who previously directed the Star Ocean EX animation. Kluke, the female lead in Blue Dragon's main trio of adventurers, is voiced by Erino Hazuki (pictured), while Keiko Nemoto and Daisuke Namikawa provide the voices of group leader Shu and quiet boy Zero (respectively).

Orlics

a Master Ninja said:
http://www.*******.com/2007/02/17/blue-dragon-anime-coming-to-tv-tokyo

Blue Dragon's universe is expanding rapidly, and Famitsu reports that an animated TV series is scheduled to air on Japan's TV Tokyo station in April. The Blue Dragon anime is in production at Studio Pierrot -- which has worked on the animated series of such hot properties as Power Stone, Naruto and Bleach -- and is directed by Yukihiro Matsushita, who previously directed the Star Ocean EX animation. Kluke, the female lead in Blue Dragon's main trio of adventurers, is voiced by Erino Hazuki (pictured), while Keiko Nemoto and Daisuke Namikawa provide the voices of group leader Shu and quiet boy Zero (respectively).

What site is in the asterisks?

BluWacky

a Master Ninja said:
...is directed by Yukihiro Matsushita, who previously directed the Star Ocean EX animation

Um, no. Hiroshi Watanabe (him of the awesome OP sequences and low-budget everything else) directed Star Ocean. Matsushita directed MariMite and Sugar Sugar Rune.

. Kluke, the female lead in Blue Dragon's main trio of adventurers, is voiced by Erino Hazuki (pictured), while Keiko Nemoto and Daisuke Namikawa provide the voices of group leader Shu and quiet boy Zero (respectively).[/I]

What happened to Marina Inoue awesomeness? At least Romi's in it. Don't have high hopes for this show at all...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I wonder if it's that horrible Korean studio Pierrot had working on the Naruto fillers doing this.

FFChris

XSamu said:
Buy Enchanted Arms :) (no love for the battlesystem in FF XII, turn-based <3)

I was looking towards maybe renting that one. The gay character kind of puts me off though. (I know, it's terrible that I'm getting put off by one character, but seriously, he is such a queen.)

As for FFXII, my PS2 is a little dead at the moment, which is a shame, so I don't have it up at Uni with me. My girlfriend has the game though...and I hate her for it! Not a fan of the battle system, but it seems a good game regardless.

Top Bottom