• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Jonnyram

Blimblim said:
I finally started playing again now that I can't play Crackdown anymore, and I'm already stuck.
I'm out of the green village, found the bridge in the north but it doesn't seem to go anywhere. What am I supposed to do? I didn't find a way east either.
If you go west, a laser should shoot down the tall long ice rock and it makes a bridge for you to cross.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jonnyram said:
If you go west, a laser should shoot down the tall long ice rock and it makes a bridge for you to cross.
Haha, and of course I tried everywhere but west :D Ho well at least I could level up a bit!
Thanks!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Finally finished Disc 2, now clocking 30 hours. I didn't think the end of the first disc could be topped, but wow that was great. I felt the
laser mini game
was too long since it's pretty much always the same thing once you get what to do, but otherwise it was excellent. I also loved the music they used throughout the level :)
Production values are still through the rough, even if indeed that disc felt quite a lot shorter than the first one. I wonder how many animators and modelers worked on that game, it's just crazy.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
bd28.jpg

It looks so much better in motion, but still :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I've captured a few images from some places I really liked in the game, they are spoiling the levels a bit so I'm not posting them here, but feel free if you want :)
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3918_en.html

I'm at the ice village now, I had a hard time there because I didn't now I had to speak with a few people people they'd get angry enough for you know what. Now I guess I have to use the laser, right?

Tieno

Blimblim said:
I've captured a few images from some places I really liked in the game, they are spoiling the levels a bit so I'm not posting them here, but feel free if you want :)
http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3918_en.html

I'm at the ice village now, I had a hard time there because I didn't now I had to speak with a few people people they'd get angry enough for you know what. Now I guess I have to use the laser, right?
Those pics look really good! It feels very 'in there' and 3d because of the depth (of field) effect. Do you know how they achieve this?

Xamdou

Will there be a collectors edition of Blue Dragon for the U.S? I hope it comes out with some goodies like the Japan version :)

clashfan

Schafer said:
It's in-house tech that supposedly had some extra assistance from Ensemble Studios.

Ensemble helped with the engine? That's interesting news. Blue Dragon does have a unique look. I suppose using your own tech helps with the unique look.

duckroll

Schafer said:
It's in-house tech that supposedly had some extra assistance from Ensemble Studios.

I know that was something 1up reported in a podcast, but considering the credits for the game are HUGE and don't mention Ensemble Studios anywhere, I seriously doubt that.

In other news I downloaded the New Year's DLC, but it doesn't do jack shit. Totally useless to anyone who has beaten the game and finished all 3 Mechat shooting minigame stages. There isn't even an option to replay them anywhere. Worthless. :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
In other news I downloaded the New Year's DLC, but it doesn't do jack shit. Totally useless to anyone who has beaten the game and finished all 3 Mechat shooting minigame stages. There isn't even an option to replay them anywhere. Worthless. :(
Good for me I guess :) Btw I didn't find a way to invert the controls in the options, you can change the keys easily but how do you invert X and Y? I guess I'll soon have more mechat shooting and with inverted controls it will be hell :/

duckroll

Blimblim said:
Good for me I guess :) Btw I didn't find a way to invert the controls in the options, you can change the keys easily but how do you invert X and Y? I guess I'll soon have more mechat shooting and with inverted controls it will be hell :/

You're in luck! Apparently the download contents allows you to reverse the Y axis for Mechat shooting! I haven't checked the options yet though, can't be assed to since it's useless for me now. :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
You're in luck! Apparently the download contents allows you to reverse the Y axis for Mechat shooting! I haven't checked the options yet though, can't be assed to since it's useless for me now. :(
Yay :D

Jonnyram

Apparently, it's impossible to get the Mechat Shooting achievements if you have the Otoshidama download installed. Not too surprising since it makes the thing ridiculously easy, but worth mentioning for anyone that's going for the achievements. If you've downloaded it already, I believe you can delete it, but I think you have to revert your save game to one that doesn't have item #900 already unlocked :)

I just finished levelling all my shadows to 99 and I'm going to start doing more of the optional stuff tomorrow (so far done the
aurora place, seacube, mecha base, and a couple of the dragons. Kelaso village is sooooo cute!
) 88hrs on the clock, but a lot of the shadow levelling was done passively ;)

Troidal

Jonnyram said:
I just finished levelling all my shadows to 99 and I'm going to start doing more of the optional stuff tomorrow (so far done the
aurora place, seacube, mecha base, and a couple of the dragons. Kelaso village is sooooo cute!
) 88hrs on the clock, but a lot of the shadow levelling was done passively ;)

@_@

You're really doing this Jonny...? Kudos to you bro.

As for me, jesus I haven't played in a long time and when I started again, I was bored to death. Not a good sign (for me that is).

Jonnyram

Troidal said:
You're really doing this Jonny...? Kudos to you bro.
The shadows levelled themselves - three rubber bands and a pen. It's amazing how strong you are when you've got all the skills unlocked. Also, for some reason, the magic attack power is much higher on Power shadow than Black shadow. I wonder what that's all about.

SWORD shadow + monk power boost + assassin speed boost, charge attack, double attack, increase crit rate, increase crit power, 100% counter, magic sword.... ooooooh, so much damage.

For levelling shadows:
Go to Laser test site, equip MP+50%, black generate, bari barrier 3, black belts if you have them, eye mask if you have it, then stand in the right "pocket" of the crossroads near the start. The purple monsters keep spawning. Use Bari Barrier, Koi aura, and equip something like dog collar that makes you smell. Keep both sticks jammed right and run in circles inside the "pocket" and just make sure you keep checking if you need to press "A" when you're at low levels (to pass the "you got a new skill" screen). Or you could put A on auto-fire if you have that luxury, I guess. The other thing to watch out for is running out of MP, which happens sometimes if you're lucky with the monster pops.

my god, jonny.

i'm fairly well into this at last, about 1hr into Disk 2. Goddamn it's good! I'm actively trying to keep my shadow levels low to make it a wee bit more challenging, but Bari Barrier is so tempting. It's like Pringles! :lol

Troidal

Jonnyram said:
The shadows levelled themselves - three rubber bands and a pen.

Yep, I know how and where to do it but haven't reached there. Even if I did, I'm even lazy to set that up...I probably would rather be playing something (or download another TV show on Marketplace) rather than making the 360 play with itself XD

There are just other interesting games right now (VEGAS!), BD is definitely in the backlogs unfortunately :/

Jonnyram

Oh yeah, there's lots of other games to play. But I've been busy with non-game stuff since I got back from my Oshougatsu break. The 360 had plenty of time to itself. The game itself has never stopped being interesting to me. In fact, at this point it's more exciting than ever. I can't wait to see how things finish off :)

There are just other interesting games right now (VEGAS!), BD is definitely in the backlogs unfortunately :/

Hey Troidal - did you ever tell me your gamer tag? I'm always up for Vegas! PM me if you don't want it made public...or just add me ("Cormacaroni" of course..)

Jonnyram

Even with my ridiculously over-powered shadow selection,
Gold Mecha Robo
was pretty hard at lv60. I did it by equipping the shield skill which takes damage from your MP after your HP runs out (たえる), then giving everyone absorb HP and MP, reincarnation and assassin speed. Pretty close thing, even then.

Jonnyram

OK, I've now done EVERYTHING story/monster/sidequest/item-wise up to the point just before P
rimitive
C
ube
. 98hrs on the clock. I am now turning my attention to the level up trick while I get some rest for the night.

In case you don't know it... on the south deserted island, there's the
golden unchi snake
which will keep popping over and over again. If you have the right equipment, you can kill in one hit, and basically just leave the controller sitting there with A on auto-fire :)

At 00:30, my levels were 66, 63, 69, 62, 64.
I'll report back when I next check.

john tv

Jonnyram said:
OK, I've now done EVERYTHING story/monster/sidequest/item-wise up to the point just before P
rimitive
C
ube
. 98hrs on the clock. I am now turning my attention to the level up trick while I get some rest for the night.

In case you don't know it... on the south deserted island, there's the
golden unchi snake
which will keep popping over and over again. If you have the right equipment, you can kill in one hit, and basically just leave the controller sitting there with A on auto-fire :)

At 00:30, my levels were 66, 63, 69, 62, 64.
I'll report back when I next check.
Ooh, keep us posted.

How do you have A on auto-fire, tho?

Jonnyram

bdquackjp5.jpg

01:15 - 73 73 78 72 70

Kluke, Jiro, Marumaro all have Ray equipped for 1.5x exp. They're gonna finish way before Shu and Zola.

This game looks great! I always had trouble getting into JRPGs when I was younger, so I have stayed away ever since, but I think it is time for me to give them another shot. I am definitely going to pick this up. Just one question, how much grinding do you have to do in this game in order to make it to the end? Will following the main narrative, while fighting any baddies along the way be sufficient enough to make my characters able to make it to the end?

Jonnyram

You don't have to do any grinding at all. The game is really pretty easy all the way through it. Grinding just makes it even easier. I think this is perfectly aimed at people who haven't played an RPG before, but perhaps they'll bump up the difficulty a notch for the Western release. I mean it is a bit too easy at times.

ShutEye

I've finally got around to playing Blue Dragon this weekend. Yeah free time!
I'm currently at the
Ruined Hospital
Two questions:

1. How do I access the Treasure Chests covered in what appears to be blue jelly?
2. How do I get the Spell Books working for me?

Thanks guys.

Jonnyram

ShutEye said:
1. How do I access the Treasure Chests covered in what appears to be blue jelly?
1. You'll find out on disc two. Don't worry about it for now because you can't do anything until then anyway.
2. You need to learn "Magic Level n" skill, by increasing the level of the relevant shadow. There are 6 levels of each type of magic and when you get to the level that the Spell Book needs, you'll be able to use it. There's a list of the skills and what level they are unlocked at in the manual.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ShutEye said:
I've finally got around to playing Blue Dragon this weekend. Yeah free time!
I'm currently at the
Ruined Hospital
Two questions:

Thanks guys.
1. Just keep playing and it will happen :)
2. As long as you have them in your inventory and you have the correct level to use it, then the spell is available, be it for the overworld, to be "equiped", or for the battles.
Edit: I hate jonnyram.

Jonnyram

04:00 99 99 99 99 99

Just got to do the final dungeon and that stupid 100x Monster Fight achievement now.
Not sure whether to do the 0pt achievements or not. On the one hand it's nice to show that I did everything else without getting them, but 43/43 > 41/43.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Jonnyram said:

Just got to do the final dungeon and that stupid 100x Monster Fight achievement now.
Not sure whether to do the 0pt achievements or not. On the one hand it's nice to show that I did everything else without getting them, but 43/43 > 41/43.
I don't know if I should admire your dedication, or be really scared. Maybe a bit of both :)

Jonnyram said:

Congrats and did you finish the game or you stopped before the end and did the extras?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Finally got the mechat, I was suprised to see that the camera pulled back on the overworld, I hadn't realized this would be the case. Nice :)
Anyway, I went randomly to the
sea cube
near gibral and lost more than 2 hours killing everything there and but got rather humiliated by the boss. Is there any strategy or are my level 42-44 characters just too weak?
At least I made a lot of XP there.

john tv

iifu said:
Is that the HORI controller? Did you get it for the better d-pad or for the turbo buttons?
Yeah how is that overall? I'm too lazy to mod my d-pad so if this controller is better, I'll just get it.

Jonnyram

All done.
Man, the music in that last dungeon was ****ing amazing. Not to mention the cutscenes :D
I'm pretty depressed that it's over actually. One of the best games I've played in a long time and really satisfying. 104hrs on the clock in the end.

The Hori pad has an excellent d-pad. That was the first reason for buying it, but the auto-fire helps a lot in Blue Dragon too. I thank Troidal for the recommendation on both accounts.

iifu

Neo Member
Jonnyram said:
The Hori pad has an excellent d-pad. That was the first reason for buying it, but the auto-fire helps a lot in Blue Dragon too. I thank Troidal for the recommendation on both accounts.
Nice. Too bad it's pretty ugly though.
Also, congrats on beating the game. :)

Top Bottom