• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Luckyman

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=81972&page=1

This feels like a lost opportunity. The talent of the three creators who collaborated on this title is unquestionable, and in some areas - the perfectly tuned, if rather shallow, difficulty curve, the absolutely delightful graphics and the occasional piece of inspired dungeon design - you can see the bones of a wonderful game showing through.

However, instead of making that game, these three past masters of the RPG genre clearly chose to go on a self-indulgent nostalgia trip to the games of their youth. In the process, they have made a game which serves as a very poor introduction to the genre for Xbox owners. It's by no means terrible; but without borrowing Sakaguchi's rose-tinted glasses, it's not much fun either.

5/10

u_neek said:
7 hours in and I really can't get over how great the graphics are - It's one of those games where you can't wait to see what the next area looks like! It almost matches an early Pixar movie.

Dude, more impressions. What about the rest of the stuff? Is it fun?

So basically if you've been playing rpgs for years and are interested in a lighthearted romp through an old school traditional rpg, you'll enjoy Blue Dragon.

That applies to me :D

painey

played a bit, bit dissapointing. DQ8 shows this game up badly. Looks stunning though! I think the shadows should have been summons and not do ALL the attacking.. loses alot of charm in that aspect alone.

Bebpo

Banned
painey said:
played a bit, bit dissapointing. DQ8 shows this game up badly. Looks stunning though! I think the shadows should have been summons and not do ALL the attacking.. loses alot of charm in that aspect alone.

The first disc is definitely disappointing. The game really pics up at the end of the disc and remains great for the rest of the adventure.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
They had a giant stack of guides for BD at my local GameStop today, but I didn't snag one since they are cheaper if you buy with the game. Anyhoo, I'm excited!

Post some more impressions, people!

BluWacky

The battle framerate drops seem so ridiculous. Is it just inefficient coding or something? It's a good thing Shu wins so many of the fights because every time Kluke or Jiro does the victory animation judders about like nobody's business.

I've only put in a couple of hours so far, but even if it's apparently a bit disappointing it's still leagues ahead of Enchanted Arms (aside from the rather sparse outdoor sections thus far; EA's FFX-esque railroaded dungeons were generally quite good looking) which is its only real competition on the system so far. I don't want to punch the screen every time a battle kicks in, for one...

eXistor

I got it this afternoon (along with the Bioshock CE) but I think I won't be playing it for a long while. I want to finish some other games first (Persona 3, Bioshock and some older games). I hope this re-awakens my faith in the traditional j-rpg, because Brave Story had me bored to death within 10 hours.

reriel

Bebpo said:
The first disc is definitely disappointing. The game really pics up at the end of the disc and remains great for the rest of the adventure.

bebpo, what do you think about eurogamer review ?
its battle system it's really more shallow than ff5 and ff6 ?

Looking at all the good reasponses on some other forums and of course here, the game looks like it got a little bit underrated. Anyway cant wait to get mine next week, I am really hyped right now.

If anyone cares, I picked up the US strategy guide. I haven't looked too far into it (the walkthrough, mostly), for obvious reasons (I think I looked two dungeons in), but I must say, props to Casey Loe and his book designer; this is one beautiful and superbly done strategy guide. And, it's just so pretty. And blue. *big thumbs up*

BluWacky

painey said:
Shus voice acting is some of the worst ever :lol :lol :lol I like Maro's though

Which language are you going with? I'm playing in Japanese, and Marina Inoue just can't seem to keep a constant pitch going - she sounds like an older bloke at the start of the game but then her voice wobbles around sounding girly on a lot of the lines. Can't fault her acting really, although some of the lines are paced a bit oddly:

Shu - I'll never give up!
*slight pause whilst characters are dragged along the ground*
Jiro - Maybe we should!

Kills the timing of the joke, really. Maybe it's better in English (I like the English voices, personally, Kluke in particular sounds refreshingly normal).

masterkajo

Hellraizer said:
Looking at all the good reasponses on some other forums and of course here, the game looks like it got a little bit underrated. Anyway cant wait to get mine next week, I am really hyped right now.

I thought so too and just started playing yesterday. I have been playing for about 4 hours so far and have to say, I have mixed feelings now. Blue Dragon was actually the reason for me to buy a Xbox 360...
The graphics and sound are really good. However, what I do not like is the whole "story" (so far) and the way the characters behave and act.

But appart from the superficial story and characters, it is a good game actually.

Nolan.

Can someone tell me some thing. This has been bugging me so i'm wondering if to go back and do it. In
The ancient Hospital ruins is there anything to be gained from making the fire ghost clash with the ice ghost
Just asking because I skipped them and for some reason it's bee playing on my mind. Thats assuming they can even clash on that tiny corridor.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Nolan. said:
Can someone tell me some thing. This has been bugging me so i'm wondering if to go back and do it. In
The ancient Hospital ruins is there anything to be gained from making the fire ghost clash with the ice ghost

Just an easier fight. No special benefit.

Roxas

The boss battle music is one of the cheesiest things i have ever heard in my life. Remember in Team America when they do the "Rocky montage" song?.....

duckroll

So what's going on guys? The Japanese version was pretty fun, had great graphics, tons of hype, tons of publicity, etc. Suddenly the US version has:

- crappy demo
- no marketing
- no awareness
- shitty reviews
- shitty impressions

What's going on? ;_;

duckroll said:
So what's going on guys? The Japanese version was pretty fun, had great graphics, tons of hype, tons of publicity, etc. Suddenly the US version has:

- crappy demo
- no marketing
- no awareness
- shitty reviews
- shitty impressions

What's going on? ;_;

wish I knew =/

duckroll said:

- crappy demo
- no marketing
- no awareness
- shitty reviews
- shitty impressions

What's going on? ;_;

I was just asking Bebpo this today. WHen you guys played it, you seemed to love it, especially after the first disc. Now, all of the sudden, loving Blue Dragon is lol-able to people.

Really, what did happen? Are critics just idiots?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:

Ouch. That's a good third of the experience right there...

Grecco

duckroll said:

- crappy demo
- no marketing
- no awareness
- shitty reviews
- shitty impressions

What's going on? ;_;

It took a year to get here, and lost its hype. Just my honest opinion.

the demo seemed really solid to me. I dont play many RPGs but at least the battle system wasn't annoying like many of the ones I've played.

Gowans

I picked this up on a whim due to a few people on my friends list raving about it, (& having a little extra store credit)

so far its cute and a nice change of pace from Bioshock, no way in hell I'll finish it, I predict Ill get as far as a can before the H3 bomb.

The problem with Eternity is that the lyrics are just way too Japanese. If they made the song actually work for Ian Gillian then it would have been great.

duckroll said:

- crappy demo
- no marketing
- no awareness
- shitty reviews
- shitty impressions

What's going on? ;_;

Well the game isn't the AAA title people was hoping for. Has a lot of good moments but feels uninspired. Still I'm hooked, love playing a good jrpg in high def even if I would rather play a better one. Leveling up shadows in diffrent 'jobs' is fun too and the light hearted story reminds me a little of grandia/skies.

And to be honest it's not like you have that much to choose from :D

DarknessTear said:
The problem with Eternity is that the lyrics are just way too Japanese. If they made the song actually work for Ian Gillian then it would have been great.
I think that's why I like it so much. This is Ian Gillian, who sang Smoke on the Water, and other awesome songs back in the day, yet he's relegated to the corny lyrics of the Gooch. It's such a weird combination that works for me. :lol

But back to the game, this one is for me. It's like a high-def rendition of a lot of the typical JRPG standards I've grown to enjoy over my gaming life. Story can come second as long as I'm enjoying the old school feel of the battle system. I mean, I loved Enchanted Arms for what it was and I think Blue Dragon will give me the same feeling.

Personally i'm loving this game so far, and i'm only on the first disc so I can't wait for disc 2 and 3. I can't see where all the hates coming from, especially in Eurogamers review where they criticize the game for the exact reason i'm enjoying it - it feels like an old school RPG, with none of the drawbacks of playing old RPGs. The one criticism I have that rises from this is that it's a bit too easy, but thats not enough to detract from the awesome ammounts of fun i'm having playing this so far.

I wasn't even expecting to buy Blue Dragon, the demo really did nothing to sell me on the game - I hate RPG demos where they just chuck you in some random dungeon with fully levelled up characters, it's the first couple of hours with an RPG that sell me on the game, not seeing all the cool powers i'll be able to get after 20+ hours of play with the real thing.

Anywho, I guessed it was the demo making me look unfavourably on Blue Dragon, and remmembering all the love pouring forth from the JP version impressions here on gaf I decided to take a risk with it and i'm really, really glad I did - i'm enjoying it so much it's keeping me from BioShock, and if it wasn't for Jeanne D'Arc i'd pretty much be playing Blue Dragon exclusively.

Roxas

Played more today and last night, and i think its a pretty good RPG. Some of the characters just annoy me to death, Shu, who has the character model of a 5 year old and voice of a 16 year old. And MuruMaro or whatever, i mean, who's idea was it to put in a character who only talks by screaming?

Its blatantly obvious that Sakaguchi has tried to rip some of his old FF ideas, and stealthily disguise them in the game somehow...Phoenix Talon to revive characters? Come on now...:lol Also the way the Shadows learn the skills reminds me of the job classes from FFV

Gameplay is good. the battles are quick and fun, the charge meter is a cool feature when trying to cast spells, gets a thumbs up from me. Also being able to pick whether to fight multiple enemies around you is a good idea.

Story is pretty simple and basic. Bunch of kids wanting to save their village go and explore the big bad world. Its Sakaguchi though so what do you expect. Music is good for the most part and very reminiscant of the FF games, but the boss battle song...my god it gets worse :lol i know some people on here love it but man.... here it is if anyone hasnt heard it yet.

So yeah, so far so good. Not amazing, but still good so far. I think the 7.9 that IGN gave it is pretty accurate.

jakershaker said:
Well the game isn't the AAA title people was hoping for. Has a lot of good moments but feels uninspired. Still I'm hooked, love playing a good jrpg in high def even if I would rather play a better one.

I'm in the same boat. Just playing the demo with super gorgeous models and animations was all I really needed.

goldenpp72

Is the translation really that bad? I was thinking of doing japanese voices with the subtitles but someone told me that was a bad idea.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm in the same boat. Just playing the demo with super gorgeous models and animations was all I really needed.

Quite the opposite for me really. Hated the demo and preview code, thought it the preview was sloppy and the demo just put you right in the middle of a fight without anything to really make it meaningful.

The game itself though when playing it all from the beginning is all good :D Soon third disc for me, hope the story picks up a little more.

Top Bottom