• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Firestorm

I forgot this came out this week. I just remembered it was supposed to come out near Metroid Prime 3. Too bad, I'll get it eventually I guess but Metroid takes precedence. That godawful demo didn't help. The only reason I'm still getting eventually it is all you people saying the final game is great.

Roxas

npm0925 said:
Metroid Prime 3 is the a top notch FPS. Blue Dragon is an average JRPG. Why waste your time on average games?

Because, like he just said, he doesnt really like Metroid and is a big JRPG fan, and if thats the case, get Blue Dragon! I'm 20 hours in now and it has gotten 10 times better since the beginning of the game.

npm0925 said:
Metroid Prime 3 is the a top notch FPS. Blue Dragon is an average JRPG. Why waste your time on average games?

I'm really tempted to point out that a Mr. Smith avatar isn't really the best jumping off point for a discussion about averageness, although to be fair, Blue Dragon might indeed include a millionaire who's still dedicated to police work even though she looks like a super model, or that in the final village there might be six serial killers all in the same place all at the same time, occasionally even in the same convenience store parking lot. This may happen. I haven't played the game yet. But I'd wager that he doesn't consider Blue Dragon a waste of his time at all.

npm0925 said:
Wrong. MP3 ist no SHOOTER. It's more a first Person Adventure. ;)

Also you really cant compare the two games. It depends on what you like. Blue Dragon ist more like a SNES RPG in HD, and with Voice Overs and good presentation.

widgetraf said:
I can't decide if I should get Blue Dragon or Metroid Prime 3. I mean, I've never been a big Metroid fan but have always been a JRPG fan. Everyone is saying MP3 is GOTY quality though, so I'm in a pickle :(

In what seemed like an endless amount of WTF-negative reviews for Blue Dragon's "old" structure of gameplay and perhaps storytelling, Gamepro gives Blue Dragon a 4.75/5, 95%

http://gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/reviews/131488.shtml

which, by the way, is higher than Metroid Prime 3's score of 4.25

I know it's Gamepro. But, whatever.

FateBreaker said:
In what seemed like an endless amount of WTF-negative reviews for Blue Dragon's "old" structure of gameplay and perhaps storytelling, Gamepro gives Blue Dragon a 4.75/5, 95%

http://gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox360/games/reviews/131488.shtml

which, by the way, is higher than Metroid Prime 3's score of 4.25

I know it's Gamepro. But, whatever.

Gamepro was good enough for some people to make a new HS thread about the score. Of course we're not going to do that.

*shifty eyes*

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Gamepro was good enough for some people to make a new HS thread about the score. Of course we're not going to do that.

*shifty eyes*

I was THIS close to doing that. But I'm scared to.

You do it, brave soul. :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
siamesedreamer said:
Anyone pick this up today?

It shipped today, in stores tomorrow. I guess some might have gotten it early, though.

Got my Eris call a few hours ago saying it'll be available by noon.

mr stroke

anyone in the US get this yet?? I only have a couple more days until that Gamespot coupon expires...its either this or Warhawk...
(please tell me this game is worth the 60$)

Hunahan

Banned
Picking it up tomorrow, but I think I'll wait to play it until friday.

Got my new 46" HDTV showing up then. Might be the first game I play in HD.

Huzzah! :D

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'm about 12 hours in and really enjoying it after a bit of a lull near the beginning. It's a nice change of pace and atmosphere in-between Bioshock sessions.

u_neek

Hunahan said:
Picking it up tomorrow, but I think I'll wait to play it until friday.

Got my new 46" HDTV showing up then. Might be the first game I play in HD.
You're gonna love the graphics!

When I finish up on BD, the next game I'm gonna get is Eternal Sonata. Hopefully the US version will be region free so I don't have to wait for the PAL release..

BenjaminBirdie said:
Hopefully picking it up today. The perfect post-BioShock game.

MAAAARU MAAAAARO!!!!!

AT LONG LAST SHALL WE BE TOGETHA.

:lol

thats exactly what i'm doing....this and Warhawk will be my post-Bioshock games as well :D

AgentOtaku said:
:lol

thats exactly what i'm doing....this and Warhawk will be my post-Bioshock games as well :D

I've seriously been waiting for this game since god damned launch. I saw the first shots of MaruMaro and wore a cape to work for the next week, I watched Blim and Bepbo traverse its canyons and caverns, I watched Mark MacDonald give play by play of fighting skeletons, I've spoken to a dude in a track suit and fucking GAS MASK in the demo. And now. Finally. This unassuming little upstart of an RPG...will be mine at last.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Picking this up after work, but I probably won't get to it until the weekend... I have a nice 4 day weekend coming up, though... gonna get a lot of playing in!

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
I wish I was that cool.

:(

There was a kid I went to high school with who wore a cape on a very regular basis. He also hung out in cupboards in our Chem/AP Chem room and called it his "Chem Cave." Weird guy, all in all, but for the most part a good dude. He kicked my ass in StarCraft quite a bit, which we would play in that same Chem room like four periods out of the day.

But anyway, yeah, high school was awesome.

And I'm going to go get Blue Dragon pretty soon.

Just started on the final dungeon which funny enough have a smart way to actually get back to the pre-final dungeon time if you feel that you need to find some more secrets and stuff. Story is still kind of meh but all the polish and the old-school battle system is starting to shine once you start getting lots of abilities and leveled up jobs for your dragons. Only complaint is that when doing all the side-mission dungeons, which I guess were supposed to be hard, i only died once with one character and that was because the boss used instant death. Difficulty is way to easy so if you get the chance go for the Hard mode.

There are also some pretty nice leveling tricks you can do with Field Barrier. Equip a chars dragon with Barriermagic, lvl it up to 50 to get 'Field Barrier Lv 3' (This can be helped by buying Barrierhearts from Torippo for medals). After that you can run into every enemy that you have defeated and while you don't get xp you get sp so your dragons will rise in their job lvls which is way more importants then characterlevel anyway.

Then go to Underground Cave, after the Robot City at the end of Laser fields, and run to the end. There you have a road left to a door + savepoint and a road right(behind a blue barrier so make sure you can destroy those) which leads to a room with at least 30 of those onion guys. Run through them with field barrier to get loads of SP (I got 2SP each at lv 40+) and level up any job you want for your dragons. Make sure to level up the 'general' job so you get more skillslots and equipmentslots.

Then run back to the door with the savepoint, enter, go back and voila, the onion guys have returned. Kill them, run back, kill them, run back :D Your shadows will become really powerful with just 1-2 hours of running.

note: first time you do it a dragon will spawn but he is easy so kill him and continue.

Nolan.

Ok iv'e just reached
Pachess town and have used the lasers to take down the barrier yada yada though I really thought you'd be able to get the green thing back so you can open the green chests.
Anyway even at this point i'm still loving every moment in this game. And i'm surprised because I keep waiting to get bored of it. I really like the little touches the have in this game. And unless the endging is really bad I hope they have a sequel and with that one that follows a different story but keep the things we're used to. Anyway so far this is my favourite 360 game.

Nolan. said:
Ok iv'e just reached
Pachess town and have used the lasers to take down the barrier yada yada though I really thought you'd be able to get the green thing back so you can open the green chests.
Anyway even at this point i'm still loving every moment in this game. And i'm surprised because I keep waiting to get bored of it. I really like the little touches the have in this game. And unless the endging is really bad I hope they have a sequel and with that one that follows a different story but keep the things we're used to. Anyway so far this is my favourite 360 game.

Awesomeness.

It was the little details that I fell in love with just in the demo. Tons of subtle touches. And, it can't be overstated, a dude in a Track Suit. And a Gas Mask.

Quazar

heh got a call from gamestop earlier saying it's in. Apparently, I pre-ordered it awhile ago, wonder how much I put on it.

well gamefly is shipping the game out today so i'll have it soon. i'm kinda sad that i regulated this game to rental when it was one of my most anticipated games.

Nolan.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Awesomeness.

It was the little details that I fell in love with just in the demo. Tons of subtle touches. And, it can't be overstated, a dude in a Track Suit. And a Gas Mask.

I know!. I like that character. I even like Nene's shoulder sidekick something about him just makes me laugh and reminds me of Zorn/Thorn from FF9.

Deacan said:
Is it worth searching every single object?

You don't have to but you get rewarded for it or just collecting as much as you feel like. which is another thing I love about this game. For instance
If you collect enough nothing points the guy near the castle gives you different items for it at no cost. And some items will give you medals which you can spend in Toripo's shop for your classes.

At least thats what iv'e been doing. If anyone knows if there's another use for medals let me know because I was saving them all at one point.

Why the hell am I having a hard time finding a store that has this game? Every place I've called this morning has told me that it didn't come in with their shipment and to try again later this afternoon. I live in freakin' Seattle. I mean of all places, you'd think I'd have better luck with this.

soco

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Why the hell am I having a hard time finding a store that has this game? Every place I've called this morning has told me that it didn't come in with their shipment and to try again later this afternoon. I live in freakin' Seattle. I mean of all places, you'd think I'd have better luck with this.

especially since some US stores had copies like 2 weeks ago and were selling them. shitty luck. there's probably little chance any store near me has it yet, so i won't bother.

I GOT IT!!

Best Buy, Manhattan, 44th St.

Anecdotal: Someone was buying Warhawk, so expect it to sell as much or more than Blue Dragon, based on my my observed 1:1 ratio. Also, I saw someone earlier carrying a new PS3 so expect that to outsell the 360 in August by double, based on my observed 1:0 ratio.

I GOT BLUE DRAGON!! MARU MARO IS HOME!!!!!!!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
EWWWW.

They stacked the three discs in the box.

STACKED! GROSS!

Yeah, I was disappointed with that as well. My top disc was even loose inside the case! Luckily no scratches. I picked up the guide as well just for the sheer hell of it. The world map looks rather large.

Why won't work end?!

Big Nate said:
Yeah, I was disappointed with that as well. My top disc was even loose inside the case! Luckily no scratches. I picked up the guide as well just for the sheer hell of it. The world map looks rather large.

Why won't work end?!

My discs were secure but yeah, gross.

And yeah, work, end, when, please.

painey

i played this solid for 2 days and now have put it away.. ill get back into it soon but this game isnt very rewarding so its hard to find the time

painey said:
i played this solid for 2 days and now have put it away.. ill get back into it soon but this game isnt very rewarding so its hard to find the time

Not rewarding as in lame spells to level up to or lame environments to discover or...?

Top Bottom