• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Llyranor

I can't seem to find this information anywhere, but it seems you can't choose the hard difficulty from the start. How, then, do you get it? New Game+?

Hard mode was one of the appeals of the demo - the bosses were pretty fun. I'd be very disappointed if I'd have to go through some obscure manner of unlocking it.

u_neek

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
*wipes hands*

Alright, now that Bioshock is done I'm ready for Blue Dragon. Bring it on.
Good to hear. This is definitely my GOTY so far.

I'm 12 hours in
just entered Nene's fortress
and the game is really starting to pick up after a rather slow - but not boring at all - start.

Roxas

Gowans007 said:
GOD DAMN!!!

that 1st dragon boss where you need to rescue the sheep dude

ARG!!!!

Just change two of your characters to Black Magic, level up a bit in the fields around the boss...oh and dont forget to buy the Flare spell from the Sheep village..place..also, during the boss fight, keep 2 people on the back row, so when the dragon does the "Mow Down" move, it will only hurt 1 of them.

soco

there were some early NA releases of the game too. i remember people talking about finding it at Toys'R'Us and such like a week after the bioshock early release.

Gowans

Roxas said:
Just change two of your characters to Black Magic, level up a bit in the fields around the boss...oh and dont forget to buy the Flare spell from the Sheep village..place..also, during the boss fight, keep 2 people on the back row, so when the dragon does the "Mow Down" move, it will only hurt 1 of them.

thx man.

not a big jrpg player, tryed FF3 on Ds for a bit but didnt pull me in, this seems to be working, Off to level up :D

u_neek

I had some problems with the first and second bosses too.. The rest of the game (I'm 12 hours in) has been pretty easy with some normal levl'ing up though

My only real issue is that a couple of the achievements seem impossible, annnd... my Xbox has been making some really painful noises, with the music on the game occasionally stopping and FMV having trouble loading.

Edit: Yes, boss wise, that viva pinata dragon where you rescue the sheep guy was solid. I nearly wiped out on that... hardest boss so far, perhaps. I'm on disc 3 now, apparently I'm about 10-15 levels behind recommendations (currently level 35).

Teppic

Have played it a few ours and I really like it.

I can't see why there's so many complaints about this game, it's feels much better than a lot of other random JRPG that everyone seems to like, at least for me.

Sure it's not up there with the best, but it's surely not as bad as "everyone" says.

Bleeders

Android18a said:
My only real issue is that a couple of the achievements seem impossible, annnd... my Xbox has been making some really painful noises, with the music on the game occasionally stopping and FMV having trouble loading.

Edit: Yes, boss wise, that viva pinata dragon where you rescue the sheep guy was solid. I nearly wiped out on that... hardest boss so far, perhaps. I'm on disc 3 now, apparently I'm about 10-15 levels behind recommendations (currently level 35).

How far are you in on Disc 3? The difficulty can spike horribly if your not prepared for it on this disc.

Bearing in mind, the grinding is better off being done on this disc, since you get access to some other bits and pieces which can make the process quicker.

Anyways, there's a couple ways to do this; first you'll need the following -

Poop Bangle - Kills Poops with one hit. Found in Jibral Castle, near the gate (Blue Barrier).

Hermes Shoes - Ensures you get priority attack. Found in Ancient Factory (Black Barrier) or Mecha Base Floor 3 (Black Barrier).

Black Belt - Doubles SP. Each member of your party needs to have this equipped to reap the benefits from it. Its advisable to grind your remaining your Shadow Classes (if your wanting to) once you've levelled your main HP to 99 though, IMO.

Garlic - Attracts the baddies!

Anyways, there's a couple ways we can go about "power-levelling" to 99. Both involve inciting battles with Poops, although one of which will net you an achievement for defeating a Rare Monster. The rare Golden Poop Snake can be found on the Southern Western Deserted Island, it's only accessible via the Mechat, but it's right at the very bottom of the map, looks like a triangle; the island name will be displayed once your flying over anyway.

Make you land on the flattest part of the surface, have one character equip the Bangle, Shoes (and Black Belts if you have them!) and cover the character with Stink (Garlic will work fine), then wait for the Golden Poop to attack. Kill it, get 1000 exp for your party, rinse and repeat. If you've got a Turbo Control pad, this makes things MUCH easier, if not, it's laborious, so with that, I found another solution elsewhere...

This one I stumbled on by chance, but this one involves mind-numbingly playing the same part over and over again, however, the pay-off on this is far greater (around 6000-8000 exp). With the Mechat, fly over to the Ancient Ruins Forest (it's one of the side-quests on the map, basically, the glowing star)

Again, equip one of your characters with the necessary, then enter the Forest. You'll see a party of 4 Zebra Poops, get their attention so you can group them together, then attack, kill them off. Wander into the area West (as if you were coming in again) and attack the Zebra Poop party there like you did before. Leave the Forest, enter it again, rinse and repeat. As I say, boring. But a good way of power-levelling, since the experience points required bottoms out at around 12000 I think, so it shouldn't take half as long to get your party upto 99.

Bebpo

Banned
Android18a said:

Levels don't matter, job levels do.

I don't think I was all that high lvl-wise when I beat it. Maybe around lvl.40-50. Job levels are just so much more important. To beat the post-game hardest bosses I had to get my jobs like lvl.80+, but my actual levels were only like 52 or something.

painey

i died on the first boss twice because i didnt understand it correctly ... lol.. i could only hit the horn with magic and i was confused why i couldnt hit it with physical attacks, and the first time i only had about 20hp on my guys but since then the bosses have been piss easy. I really dislike the achievements for this game, they could have been SO much better :( I am getting into it more though.. i think my love of JRPG overides my dislike for the generic, lame parts of the game.

D

Deleted member 13414

Unconfirmed Member
We have 54 pages and the game has yet to be released in the united states. We also only had a hand full of people posting impressions last december. CANT WAIT FOR TOMORROW!!!!!!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
According to GameStop, the game ships tomorrow, available Wednesday. Not sure why this wouldn't be available on Tuesday, pretty silly imo. Oh well, 1 more extra day to play through Bioshock again.

Bowen_B

Banned
I hate JRPGs but this ain't too bad, the fights are a bit tedious though.
The sooner Jiro can get some good field barriers the better, level 1 field barrier is far too expensive.

Okay guys, I've got Shu set as a 'Guardian' but I don't see the 'Guard' move that I've equipped in skills, read about in the manual and used in the demo. Help?

Nolan.

Ok can someone give me the number where a class is mastered at. Because I want to know if to switch classes or if im close to mastering one!. Thank you.

I went to out looking for it this morning and couldn't find it. Even went so far as to drive to Walmart but the only thing I found there was an employee with some of the worst BO I've smelt since I went to Egypt. It was like a mixture of hot garbage and cat food inside a dirty diaper taken off a corpse that was filled with enchilada and beer diaherra. This guy had truely constructed one of the world's most vile smells imaginable. It was so bad that I had to complain to the manager. Ugh. I think I need to take another shower....it's attatched itself to me.

I went to out looking for it this morning and couldn't find it. Even went so far as to drive to Walmart but the only thing I found there was an employee with some of the worst BO I've smelt since I went to Egypt. It was like a mixture of hot garbage and cat food inside a dirty diaper taken off a corpse that was filled with enchilada and beer diaherra. This guy had truely constructed one of the world's most vile smells imaginable. It was so bad that I had to complain to the manager. Ugh. I think I need to take another shower....it's attatched itself to me.

thats because its listed as "shipping today" (I really hate it when new releases do this)

....so tommorow at the earliest is when you'll see it in stores

...sorry to hear about your troubles btw...

:lol

I can't wait to play this.

Cruceh said:
I'm sad this game is $60 instead of $50. I wouldve bought it outright otherwise, but instead I'm waiting.

4tt0cxe.png

How about $54?

widgetraf

I can't decide if I should get Blue Dragon or Metroid Prime 3. I mean, I've never been a big Metroid fan but have always been a JRPG fan. Everyone is saying MP3 is GOTY quality though, so I'm in a pickle :(

Is this game $50 or is it $60? I was at EB yesterday and saw that they were advertising it for $50. Is this true? If so, then this game is as good as sold with that 10% coupon.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Woot, can't wait for tomorrow! Best of all, got a 4 day weekend this week... so that means I'll get in a lot of playing, hopefully.

OniShiro

Banned
widgetraf said:
I can't decide if I should get Blue Dragon or Metroid Prime 3. I mean, I've never been a big Metroid fan but have always been a JRPG fan. Everyone is saying MP3 is GOTY quality though, so I'm in a pickle :(

I don't know about MP3, I guess it's just like MP1 and MP2 but with wiimote controls, but Blue Dragon is great, I'm not very fond of JRPGs but I'm enjoying it a lot, I've played 8 hours so far and it's very good.

Bebpo

Banned
widgetraf said:

I'd get BD if you like jrpgs and aren't big on Metroid.

Splatt

widgetraf said:

Get the pickle fool!

So I decided to call around to various places and I kept getting asked, "Well, did you pre-order? We've got a ton of pre-orders for that game and it'll be first come first serve after that."

Is there really that many people anticipating this game? I thought only the insane like myself were looking forward to Blue Dragon.

So I decided to call around to various places and I kept getting asked, "Well, did you pre-order? We've got a ton of pre-orders for that game and it'll be first come first serve after that."

Is there really that many people anticipating this game? I thought only the insane like myself were looking forward to Blue Dragon.

I know I want it and am getting it tomorrow but, yeah, not everyone is like us.

u_neek

I had been anticipating it ever since the first trailer was released. I'm now 17 hours in and the game has definitely lived up to all of my expectations - I probably didn't expect more than an enjoyable and extremely beautiful standard RPG but that is exactly what I got.

npm0925

widgetraf said:
Metroid Prime 3 is the a top notch FPS. Blue Dragon is an average JRPG. Why waste your time on average games?

Top Bottom