• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Captain N

Phantom875 said:
So what you guys think about the game after playing it.Won't be able to pick mine up until Saturday. Also did anyone see that blue dragon stand ebgames and gamestop had at the front door. I wanted to snatch it but someone had dibbs on it already

i haven't enjoyed a roleplaying game this much since Final Fantasy VII. So, as you can tell I'm extremely happy with this game. in heaven...

Eric WK

Just put in a six and a half hour session and the only reason I stopped is because of a disc read error (no biggy, only lost five minutes or so). So I'm going to hop back on in a sec. :lol

If the first fifteen hours are supposed to be "boring," I can't wait for the rest of the game. I mean, the storyline hasn't been all that engaging, but I'm far from bored. In fact, I'm having an amazing time.

And thanks for some of the suggestions in this thread. I've gone ahead and leveled Generalist for Shu, Jiro and Kluke to about 16 already. Also leveling Maru with Barrier Magic until I get Field Barrier 3 and will snag Generalist with him as soon as I can. Eventually I'll get White and Black Magic for everyone. The respective HP and MP regens out of battle will be useful.

Now all I need is some gamerpics to show off my Blue Dragon love. Get on the ball MS.

Danielsan

So gaf what's the verdict on this game? Would it be wise to spend €60 in this game or should I wait for a pricedrop and buy something else? I thought the demo was crap and the reviews are such a mixed bag with scores anywhere between a 6.0 and a 9.0 so I'm not sure if I want to take a leap of faith on this one.

I am actually really enjoying this game a lot more than I thought. JRPGs aren't really my thing, well I never actually played them before, and I really am enjoying Blue Dragon.

Definitely worth checking out, and so far it deserves AT LEAST an 8.5.

espionage

8.8 here based on my first 3-4 hours of gameplay. I can't recommend it to everyone since not everyone enjoys RPGs - but if you like them or are willing to give one a try you should definitely get this.

The game takes me back to classic SNES RPGs like Chrono Trigger, FF4, and FF6. I also like how this is the first RPG that awards Achievements for going out of your way to getting the best items in the game as well as fighting the optional bosses. Games like Oblivion and Enchanted Arms pretty much just had Achievements for storyline only.

PhatSaqs

Banned
snack said:
Definitely worth checking out, and so far it deserves AT LEAST an 8.5.
Yeah. No way in hell can I understand those that scored this game in the 5 - 6 range. A high 7 i can let slide. But a 5 or 6? shakinghead.gif

Danielsan said:
So gaf what's the verdict on this game? Would it be wise to spend €60 in this game or should I wait for a pricedrop and buy something else? I thought the demo was crap and the reviews are such a mixed bag with scores anywhere between a 6.0 and a 9.0 so I'm not sure if I want to take a leap of faith on this one.

we wont know the verdict until we beat the game. and most of us are still on disc 1 (big game?). But I will say that the game is incredibly enjoyable and pleasantly surprising. I'd so far say it's worth 60

FateBreaker said:
we wont know the verdict until we beat the game. and most of us are still on disc 1 (big game?). But I will say that the game is incredibly enjoyable and pleasantly surprising. I'd so far say it's worth 60
Agreed.

Takeda Kenshi said:
Any impressions on the guide for this game? It's Prima so I'm a bit hessitant...

It's beautiful. Casely Loe did a good job. It's about 300 pages, has maps for everything, bestiary, big walkthrough covering it all, tips, recommendations, a 50-page "what you need to know" prelude to the walkthrough. And plus, the guide is just designed really well; i might go on to say it's the "prettiest" guide I've seen.

Holy crap I'm addicted to this game. I forgot how much I just love that old school job system. The story is still pretty crap but there's something hypnotizing about acquiring skills that makes me want to keep going nonstop.

The graphics are a HUGE motivating factor as well. I can't remember the last time I played an RPG where I kept pushing through the game just so I can see the pretty enviornments but that's what I'm doing in Blue Dragon. Hell, "pretty" isn't even the right word to use here. Fucking gorgeous is more appropriate. The last "old school" RPG I played was Dragon Quest VIII and I remember making a remark at the time about how impressive the graphics were and how it made me want to explore. Blue Dragon is just like that except its graphics bitch slap the hell out of everyone. I hate to use the word around here but it does remind of a Pixar film at times. Seriously.

In some ways I can understand a few of the low scores but imo this game so far is at least a solid 8.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Holy crap I'm addicted to this game. I forgot how much I just love that old school job system. The story is still pretty crap but there's something hypnotizing about acquiring skills that makes me want to keep going nonstop.

The graphics are a HUGE motivating factor as well. I can't remember the last time I played an RPG where I kept pushing through the game just so I can see the pretty enviornments but that's what I'm doing in Blue Dragon. Hell, "pretty" isn't even the right word to use here. Fucking gorgeous is more appropriate.

Stop reading my diary.

Takeda Kenshi said:
Any impressions on the guide for this game? It's Prima so I'm a bit hessitant...

Its not bad, but some of the maps are really confusing to follow. Also, the discriptions are short and to the point. Nothing special, but is worth it if you don't want to lose on any achievements. The bonus art work in the back was pretty cool.

<nu>faust

i guess i'm the only person in the world who encountered the warp portal bug since i coudn't find anything referring to such problem on the interwebs and it looks like none of my fellow gaffers have any idea either why it might be happening either. so i guess i'll have to re-start the game since i wasn't that far anyways (only couple of hours in) and i had only one save file, but i swear to god i'm returning this game if that crap happens again ;(

Proc

I liked the demo's presentation and general feel so I picked this up today. Apparently it's priced the same in Canada as the States, craziness.

soco

FateBreaker said:

that's true, but based upon the impressions from the folks who played the japanese game we could guess that because they all seem to agree that the game gets a lot better starting from the end of the first disc, that if you've liked the first few hours, we'll probably really like the game as a whole.

Proc said:
I liked the demo's presentation and general feel so I picked this up today. Apparently it's priced the same in Canada as the States, craziness.

That's about all you can get out of that demo. That thing did more harm than good imo and it's a horrible representation of the full game. It just places some pumped up characters into two enviornments without any context. Any RPG would suffer from that. If I were in charge over there I'd take down the demo and replace it with some game videos instead. The Blue Dragon demo is about as big of a misinterpetation of the actual game as the Chromehounds one is.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Stop reading my diary.

And to think that we're both liking it so much and we're still on the first disc...aka the slow one. Can't wait to see how it'll be when things "pick up". :p

Brashnir

just got done with my second 6+ hour session in two days. loving the game, and just finished disc 1. I almost never put this much time into a game on back-to-back days.

Sure, it's really easy, but it's a lot of fun, and I don't get the complaints with the story. I can't remember an RPG with a story that wasn't "bad," if you really felt like nitpicking it. It just seems that some of them get a pass due to being part of a certain franchise of from a certain company.

Proc

That's about all you can get out of that demo. That thing did more harm than good imo and it's a horrible representation of the full game. It just places some pumped up characters into two enviornments without any context. Any RPG would suffer from that. If I were in charge over there I'd take down the demo and replace it with some game videos instead. The Blue Dragon demo is about as big of a misinterpetation of the actual game as the Chromehounds one is.

Yeah, it wasn't the best demo, but I saw its potential, especially accompanied with the warm words GAF has had thus far.

Proc said:
Yeah, it wasn't the best demo, but I saw its potential, especially accompanied with the warm words GAF has had thus far.

FF always had it right by starting with a nice juicy FMV. This demo really could have used one.

BenjaminBirdie said:
FF always had it right by starting with a nice juicy FMV. This demo really could have used one.

Or they could have used the beginning of the game as a demo. It was perfect for a demo. Introduction to key characters, the motivation for the adventure, introduction to the battle system, cutscenes, introduction of the main antagonist. They'd just have to cut it at the part where they
blast off on that mini shark and crash into the wilderness
. And gamers wouldn't really be missing anything, as those parts are pretty slow and don't really contain any spoilers. For a game like this, a 1 hour demo of a random dungeon with no backstory was just too much for a game that uses classic rpg storytelling (that slowly opens up and expands as the game progresses). Eternal Sonata did it right, some character interaction, locales, and a nice introduction to the battle system.

Danielsan

Well I took the jump and just got it. I'm going to check it out in a couple of minutes and hopefully I won't be back for atleast a couple of hours (if it's good).

Masta_Killah said:
Or they could have used the beginning of the game as a demo. It was perfect for a demo. Introduction to key characters, the motivation for the adventure, introduction to the battle system, cutscenes, introduction of the main antagonist. They'd just have to cut it at the part where they
blast off on that mini shark and crash into the wilderness
. And gamers wouldn't really be missing anything, as those parts are pretty slow and don't really contain any spoilers. For a game like this, a 1 hour demo of a random dungeon with no backstory was just too much for a game that uses classic rpg storytelling (that slowly opens up and expands as the game progresses). Eternal Sonata did it right, some character interaction, locales, and a nice introduction to the battle system.

I was going to suggest that but
no dragons

:(

Median

(squish, squish)

Having said that, I'm enjoying the game so far. I can already tell I'm going to be addicted to ranking up and the skill system. I'm about an hour and a half in and from what everyone else has said, if I'm enjoying it now I'm gonna love it later. I was a bit unsure about getting the game but so far, its been a good choice. :D

Big-E

How long will this game run me? I am going back to school and I am kind of skeptical about how much time I can devote to a jrpg. I normally do close to everything in a jrpg so how long am I looking at? 100 hours?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Big-E said:
How long will this game run me? I am going back to school and I am kind of skeptical about how much time I can devote to a jrpg. I normally do close to everything in a jrpg so how long am I looking at? 100 hours?
Took me 43 hours IIRC on the first run, doing almost no optional stuff.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I was going to suggest that but
no dragons

:(

True, but it would act as a motivator to get the game. You see the antagonist's dragon adn you get a small glimpse of what your dragon can do before you escape. It's much more intriguing and would have gamers wondering what else is in the game, rather then the demo, which has all the powers unlocked, which makes the game less mystrious.

Anyone notice that the Mural town theme sounds exactly like the end theme from Beyond Good & Evil? You know, the song that's played during the credits? The piano section sounds like it was copy and pasted into this game.

Anyone notice that the Mural town theme sounds exactly like the end theme from Beyond Good & Evil? You know, the song that's played during the credits? The piano section sounds like it was copy and pasted into this game.

i don't know why i got a Zelda WW vibe when i saw that Mural town.. that town's art style is very different from the other villages, altough there's a town
Devour Village
that gave me a Tim Burton vibe.. xDD

Is there only like 10 people around here playing this game? What the hell GAF?

intheinbetween said:
i don't know why i got a Zelda WW vibe when i saw that Mural town.. that town's art style is very different from the other villages, altough there's a town
Devour Village
that gave me a Tim Burton vibe.. xDD

Yeah, it did kind of have that Wind Waker feel to it. Too bad there wasn't more interaction with it though.

Danielsan

So I'm now 2 hours in and I'm enjoying it so far.
The story is very lighthearted and I doubt it will get much deeper but that's ok.
The slowdown in the combat is slightly anoying, the game looks good but not so amazing that it justifies slowdown during turnbased combat. Still it's hardly a gamebreaker. The CG cutscenes are so gorgeous, I love them. The ingame graphics look great and are very clean but I agree with the people complaining that the use of depth of field is a bit much. The general flow of the game seems a bit slow but the combat is atleast fun. The music is great.
So far it's definitely not a bad purchase.

Top Bottom