• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

noonche

I played about 2 1/2 hours last night. I really liked it, apart from some terrible Japanese voice-overs. The battle system seems like it might be a little slow, and the boss music is not growing on me. Otherwise, I love the rest of the music, the visual design and the battle system. I'm not sure where most of the reviews are coming from yet.

soco

goldenpp72 said:
viva pinata actually managed to break 200k or so in the US, it just had its price dropped a lot. It actually sold over half of its sold to date copies in the first 2 months. Xmas helped it a lot.

me having bought 4 copies probably helped. (granted 2 of those were at the 15$ price to replace the other two, which my sister and her kids scratched) ;)

i'm really surprised they're not doing so much marketing. the only thing i've seen is on the euro account dashboard.

but you guys have convinced me i need to jump in on the game. not all of my local eb games have a copy, but i'm gonna drive down and pick one up from one that does. can't wait any longer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Blimblim said:
Aren't you going to hang yourself over the framerate though?
Ha ha, no. I'm very picky about framerates and love to complain...but that doesn't mean I'll avoid something good for that reason. If a great game has a lousy framerate, I'll still be able to enjoy it.

There are some instances where framerate troubles DO have an impact on the feel of the game, but that isn't the case here (as most of the problems are simply visuals and have very little impact on your actual control). An FPS with an uneven framerate, for instance, can end up feeling pretty bad as a result and that bothers me.

It also kind of depends on the animation and such. A game with great animation and smooth camera motion can still look great with a lower framerate. It's when you have fairly rigid animation mixed with framerate issues that I find myself becoming irritated.

Kildace

alske said:
I played about 2 1/2 hours last night. I really liked it, apart from some terrible Japanese voice-overs. The battle system seems like it might be a little slow, and the boss music is not growing on me. Otherwise, I love the rest of the music, the visual design and the battle system. I'm not sure where most of the reviews are coming from yet.

The battle system is only slow when your party is only made of 3 members. The next addition to your squad will definitely speed things up.
I like the game, it's not an 8.5 but it's definitely not a 6 either, not if you like JRPGs anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Diablos said:
Is this game good enough to justify a 360 purchase (since I don't have one and am kind of on the fence about it)?
One game is never enough to justify a purchase, if you ask me. However, Blue Dragon is just one of MANY incredible games for the system. You should really take a look at what it offers as a whole. If you love these sorts of games, it's a great way to kick off the 360 purchase, but there are so many other great games alongside it that you could not possibly regret it.

Eric WK

dark10x said:
One game is never enough to justify a purchase, if you ask me. However, Blue Dragon is just one of MANY incredible games for the system. You should really take a look at what it offers as a whole. If you love these sorts of games, it's a great way to kick off the 360 purchase, but there are so many other great games alongside it that you could not possibly regret it.

Well said.

Diablos

dark10x said:
But I can only afford so much, and I'm still torn between PS3 (don't laugh) and 360. 360 is in third party heaven right now. Sony on the other hand is more limited, however, they have a lot of cool first-party games coming (HS, WKS, Killzone, Wipeout, etc.), and two key third-party games (FFXIII, MGS4).

Bahhhh I hate this gen, it's all fragmented.

Just beat the first boss in the valley area. Looooove the boss battle theme.

But I can only afford so much, and I'm still torn between PS3 (don't laugh) and 360. 360 is in third party heaven right now. Sony on the other hand is more limited, however, they have a lot of cool first-party games coming (HS, WKS, Killzone, Wipeout), and two key third-party games (FFXIII, MGS4).

Bahhhh I hate this gen, it's all fragmented.

Cross that bridge later when the games you really want come out and support this game today. It needs all the help it can get.

Diablos said:
Is this game good enough to justify a 360 purchase (since I don't have one and am kind of on the fence about it)?

there's a free demo on Xbox Live but I guess you'd need to buy the 360 first to play it!

Chinner

Banned
Despite the mediocre reviews of this game, I picked this up for a steal when I purchased an Elite. Still on the first disc and although it seems light on the stor so far and along with the cliches it brings ("I won't give up!"), I am really enjoying this. Personally, I think some of the reviewers got up their arse about innovating and new features. Yeah Sure Blue Dragon may not push the JRPG genre drastically forward, but its still hella enjoyable.

there's a free demo on Xbox Live but I guess you'd need to buy the 360 first to play it!
Didn't like the demo personally as I thought it did everything wrong. It just threw you into a part of the game which gave you no sense of story. It didn't give you a range of enviroments to explore and it basically gave you every single move so everything was too easy.

Nolan.

I really like the animations for
what i'm guessing is the ultimate shadow skills for the characters. Thankfully I didn't see much of this game and usually stay away from spoilers. Though I like the summoning like air they brought to it but it still fits nicely into battle.
And Marumaro's is just so funny in the beggining and end. I haven't even finished this game yet and i'm hoping they come back and stronger with a sequel.

Chinner said:
Didn't like the demo personally as I thought it did everything wrong. It just threw you into a part of the game which gave you no sense of story. It didn't give you a range of enviroments to explore and it basically gave you every single move so everything was too easy.

it was too easy but the thing I liked about the demo is it gives you a sense of the battle system which I thought was fun and fast. Battles are important to me in RPG's since it's what you'll be doing like 99% of the time.

I can handle cliche story as long as the game is fun to play.

Diablos said:

I think it is. But I say this knowing that Lost Odyssey is still coming, Eternal Sonata is around the corner, Infinite Undiscovery is expected, Mass Effect was dated today, and many other games that will be announced at TGS, probably.

painey

this game is free with pretty much any elite over in the UK.. i wonder if it is the stores that are pushing it or microsoft?

60_gig_PS3 said:
I can handle cliche story as long as the game is fun to play.

With the job system, the game basically plays like FFV which imo is great. It's oldschool FFV gameplay wrapped up in a gorgeous coat of paint.

Speaking of which - I got to the subterranean cavern outside of Marumaro's village, a place I've already seen numerous times in screenshots, but that didn't stop me from being completely floored with how freakin' pretty it looks. Un-believable. I had to stand back a few times and just admire it. The water = OMG. Bioshock who? I'm just totally impressed with Blue Dragon's graphics.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
With the job system, the game basically plays like FFV which imo is great. It's FFV gameplay wrapped up in a gorgeous coat of paint.

Speaking of which - I got to the subterranean cavern outside of Marumaro's village, a place I've already seen numerous times in screenshots, but that didn't stop me from being completely floored with how freakin' pretty it looks. Un-believable. I had to stand back a few times and just admire it. The water = OMG. Bioshock who? I'm just totally impressed with Blue Dragon's graphics.

Ditto. Since it's so untaxing in terms of what's going on on screen, the environments are by and large just jawdropping, as are the textures on the NPCs and Monsters. Again. The Sheep People. I mean, look at that fur, dude. Also, nice little touch, the way they turn to look at you when you press A to talk.

Bowen_B

Banned
painey said:
this game is free with pretty much any elite over in the UK.. i wonder if it is the stores that are pushing it or microsoft?
It's all the stores.
The guys at MS UK don't understand the strength of this title...

soco

i just picked up the game today (and reserved Halo 3), and i've only played about an hour, but i've found it to be quite alright. i've found myself more attached to these characters than most games i've played recently (FFVIII, KH2). they're cliche but in a cute way. maybe this changes later, but so far i find them quite.

my nephews amazingly just shut up and love watching the game being played, especailly all the cut scenes.

they really picked the wrong people for some of the english voice-overs, though. i haven't found the english voice acting to be Baiten Katos or Tales of Symphonia bad (dunno about the translation), but it's not great either.

Birdymoo

How meny times do you get to pick a new class?? Im about 9hours in lv 17 but i didnt get generalist. Do you get to pick agin soon. Love the game best game on xbox 360 Love it

muckhole

Some of the voices are full blown cheese but if turn on the Japanese dub you don't really notice it and the dialogue ends up sounding a little less retarded.

Yeah. Picked it up today, and decided to leave the voices Japanese. It's really the way to go with this one.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Some of the voices are full blown cheese but if turn on the Japanese dub you don't really notice it and the dialogue ends up sounding a little less retarded.

It's weird when forum members are voicing the above consensus, but then gameinformer comes out and says the voice work is "exceptional."

Money hats? Who knows? I'm still buying the game.

·feist· said:
you guys are killing me...

go get it.

Anyway, I'm at the 5-hour point right now. Here are my impressions so far, honestly:
-The gameplay is great, just great. I'm loving the exploration: the dungeons are so far designed well, and the amount of things you can find/discover is almost overwhelming; it's nice though. The battles are traditional yet cool enough, and I do love its special tricks--like the Monster Fight.
-This is graphically an exceptional game. Everything is just so gorgeous to look at, especially that water. The cinemas are whooaaa too. The art direction is very UNIQUE; sure, it may feel like DBZ for characters, but the world has so far been very original.The only thing that isn't too hot is the character models. meh.
-Music is great so far. The boss battle theme is actually good; the lyrics and actual singing just suck. But, beyond this piece, this is one great Uematsu score.
-The story started off pretty interesting and exciting; one of the better introductions for an RPG. It got a little slow for a bit, but now a few things that are happening. The characters are pretty dry, though.
-Despite this, it still manages to be a very fun game.

soco

BTW, i hate the case. 3 stacked discs is bad.

if you haven't bought the game yet, you might want to check your discs for scratches. i forgot to mention that i returned my first copy of the game because disc 3 had a pretty deap scratch that was about a centimeter long running from the outside of the disc. good thing i noticed before i drove home. i broke the security sticker myself and there's no way i could've scratched it myself.

Captain N

OH MYYYYY!

I can't even try to begin to describe how I feel about this game. I don't think I've been this sucked into an rpg since vii.

<nu>faust

ok the game keeps freezing on me and i'm not sure why.
i'm stuck at the he drill machine 3rd floor(beginning of the game i got only about 2 hours in). after beating the treasure protecting robot, he gives me the first warp key, explains how the warp system works and tells me to put the key in the warp station cradle. the problem is as soon as i do that i lose control of my character and the game kinda freezes (can't walk away from the warp station, can't bring up the menu, the only functioning thing is the camera control, i wait for couple of minutes nothing seems to be happening) the first time this happened i thought it was a random crash and i just quit the game and reloaded my last save, the second time it happened i thought it may have to do with using wrong warp key on wrong station so i quit again and decided to skip using the warp key next time. but the third time i have realized that the game doesn't let me go back to lower levels without using the warp key first and it still freezes when i insert the key.
does anyone has any idea of what i might be doing wrong? is this a bug, or can this be something to to do with my config (i'm playing with japanese voices and all my chars are about level 11). i tried to play other games to check if the problem is my 360 and it looks like that's not the case (never had any problem with my 360 so far ) any help will be deeply appreciated.

Question: Why am I not getting every skill within a given rank?

For instance I have Jiro's White Magic rank at 10 but the only spell he's learned in the White Magic Level 1 bracket is Heal even though Cure Poison and Shine are also listed within the bracket. What gives?

And he hasn't gained any skills in the White Magic Level 2 bracket even though he's ranked 10 at White Magic. What gives with that too?

Ponn

Banned
<nu>faust said:
ok the game keeps freezing on me and i'm not sure why.
i'm stuck at the he drill machine 3rd floor(beginning of the game i got only about 2 hours in) and i can't really figure out why. after beating the treasure protecting robot, he gives me the first warp key, explains how the warp system works and tells me to put the key in the warp station cradle. the problem is as son as i do that i lose control of my character and the game kinda freezes (can't walk away from the warp station, can't bring up the menu, the only functioning thing is the camera control, i wait for couple of minutes nothing seems to be happening) the first time this happened i thought it was a random crash and i just quit the game and reloaded my last save, the second time it happened i thought it may have to do with using wrong warp key on wrong station so i quit again and decided to skip using the warp key next time. but the third time i have realized that the game doesn't let me go back to lower levels without using the warp key first and it still freezes when i insert the key.
does anyone has any idea of what i might be doing wrong? is this a bug, or can this be something to to do with my config (i'm playing with japanese voices and all my chars are about level 11). i tried to play other games to check if the problem is my 360 and it looks like that's not the case (never had any problem with my 360 so far ) if any help will be deeply appreciated.

You need more ram.

This game makes me think my 360 is broken. The music keeps stopping for a couple of seconds while my Xbox is making horrible crunching noises, loading is taking longer than it did at the start, and the long FMV when you enter the Final Area froze on me the first time around.

I am loving it, but I kind of wish it was on PS3 now.

D

Deleted member 13414

Unconfirmed Member
So what you guys think about the game after playing it.Won't be able to pick mine up until Saturday. Also did anyone see that blue dragon stand ebgames and gamestop had at the front door. I wanted to snatch it but someone had dibbs on it already

clashfan

Phantom875 said:
So what you guys think about the game after playing it.

It's very traditional, lots of grinding but is very addictive. Charming art style. I'm about 7 hours in now and it seems like a really solid jrpg. I actually think kids would really like this game. I wish MS would market this to the pokeman crowd...

Takuhi

Birdymoo said:
How meny times do you get to pick a new class?? Im about 9hours in lv 17 but i didnt get generalist. Do you get to pick agin soon. Love the game best game on xbox 360 Love it

Early on you get to pick a class every 5 levels, and later on it switches to every 10 levels. You can keep unlocking classes at that rate until every character has every class.

Phantom875 said:
So what you guys think about the game after playing it.Won't be able to pick mine up until Saturday. Also did anyone see that blue dragon stand ebgames and gamestop had at the front door. I wanted to snatch it but someone had dibbs on it already

6 hours in and the fighting system still hasn't gotten dull. The story is more simple in mind then your average jrpg. A basic adventure that slowly opens up the further you go. No real sense of direction like in modern jrpgs, but its a nice change and it DOES feel like playing an old school jrpg. Not sure if it'll get grander, but I like the feel of the story. Kind of like how jrpg's like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound started and expanded its story.

If you go with an open mind, take the game for what it is (an introduction to jrpgs for xbox players and a homage to the old school), then you'll most likely enjoy the game. If your more into the modern jrpg- grand story, multiple story arc's, save the universe type deals- then BD will feel very simple and archiac.

u_neek

Have you guys encountered a bug where an NPC kinda hoovers on the ground when moving? It's happened to me twice now.

Haklong

Anyone know where I can get that Devee song that they all dance to after they get well? I loved how incredibly off the wall it was.

It's on the OST. I believe it's called: BAD BUT BAT

KingJ2002

i've been playing this game so much... the first time i popped it in... i didnt stop playing till 6 in the morning... im still trying to get through the first disc but i dont see whats so bad about it... im having fun.

Top Bottom