• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Jirotrom said:
you have a link on how to create an asian account, forgot how. thanks btw.
Make a new Hotmail account and change your country to Hong Kong SAR. Then create a new account on your 360 and enter the new Hotmail info when it asks for your Live ID. I entered nonsense when it asked for address and phone #.

I haven't gotten far yet but I love this Shu kid.

"I won't give up! I won't give up! I won't give up!" :lol

Tons of anime cliches but I've never minded that sort of thing.

I bought it yesterday at EB/GS from my preorder. I haven't got much time to play it yet - I'm just about 20 minutes in (according to my game timer).

If the first 30 minutes start slow (according to others), then I'm in for the ride of my life. I can't wait to get home and play this gem.

typhonsentra said:

I love that one bit when the thing happens (no spoilers). I actually LOLed. In an RPG.

AgentOtaku said:
still don't know if I wanna play this in english or japanese.....

I've been playing in Japanese and it's been a joy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
typhonsentra said:

Tons of anime cliches but I've never minded that sort of thing.
Yeah, the game uses cliches to the point that it actually becomes rather charming. :)

I have put in a couple hours so far, and I really find the experience soulless and bland, despite some great graphics and a decent job system. Is it worth putting in more time - do things change, or is that a sign for me to dump it?

DQVIII I found boring to begin with but ended up loving it...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
cleveridea said:
I have put in a couple hours so far, and I really find the experience soulless and bland, despite some great graphics and a decent job system. Is it worth putting in more time - do things change, or is that a sign for me to dump it?

DQVIII I found boring to begin with but ended up loving it...
Keep playing until the end of disc 1. If by then you are still not hooked up, I doubt you'll get to love the rest.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jakershaker said:
Except the last few hours of the game which is omgwtf :D
Well Disc 3 > Disc 2 > Disc 1. Of course I already liked Disc 1 a lot (especially the end).
But yeah, the last few hours of Blue Dragon are really awesome :)
The most boring parts of the game imho are
the old hospital, the caves with the monster that make everything white and the dead forest

Blimblim said:
the old hospital,

UGH seriously I was just like
GIT ME MY MARU MARO ALRIDDY!!! CAHMAHHHN!!!!

Now I can say, though, that it's one of the more fun paths to getting a new party member I've seen in an RPG.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Finally! Game bought. The game still wasn't on the store shelves when I went to pick it up at the store though. I had to ask them to get it out of the back.

Seriously, wtf. This is Seattle. You'd think there'd be MS ninjas all over the place making sure this shit was out already.

I had a bit of trouble finding the game last nite, too... checked 4 different stores (3 GSes and a CC, till I finally found a copy at a GS). The guys at the GS where I found the copy said that a lot of people didn't even bother picking up their preorders, and the game hasn't really been selling... this sucks :(

djtiesto said:
I had a bit of trouble finding the game last nite, too... checked 4 different stores (3 GSes and a CC, till I finally found a copy at a GS). The guys at the GS where I found the copy said that a lot of people didn't even bother picking up their preorders, and the game hasn't really been selling... this sucks :(

BioShock. It'll hold up well over the next few weeks.

PhatSaqs

Banned
djtiesto said:
Local tru had a stack of em seemingly untouched. Think I bought the first one :lol

djtiesto

BenjaminBirdie said:
BioShock. It'll hold up well over the next few weeks.

For me, this weekend is all about playing BD and partying in the Hamptons...

I'll get around to Bioshock... eventually...

xBigDanx

Put about an hour into it last night.. holy shit I love this game.

Am I able to change the language from English to Japanese once I've already started? I couldn't find it anywhere in the options.

painey

xBigDanx said:
Put about an hour into it last night.. holy shit I love this game.

Am I able to change the language from English to Japanese once I've already started? I couldn't find it anywhere in the options.

yes, when you go to load your save game it gives you the option to change v.o.

Nolan.

Blimblim said:
Well Disc 3 > Disc 2 > Disc 1. Of course I already liked Disc 1 a lot (especially the end).
But yeah, the last few hours of Blue Dragon are really awesome :)
the old hospital, the caves with the monster that make everything white and the dead forest

I actually liked the last one you mentioned maybe it's due to what they came out of when they went in that made me like it. Though they could have done a lot more with it though. Thats probably why I like this game so much so far. I see so many things that i'm sure if they got a sequel they'd perfect. Im now on the last disc and I love the Nene character. He's such a tricky bastard you actually have to laugh at his genius. Also I find Shu really annoying now. I mean you can only take this ''I'll never give up'' shreaking in that voice for so long. They should vary the way he goes on about it. Apart from that though still waiting to hate this game.

Also favourite moment so far is
Shu getting his dragon back and seeing it in its out of body form

BenjaminBirdie said:
UGH seriously I was just like
GIT ME MY MARU MARO ALRIDDY!!! CAHMAHHHN!!!!

Now I can say, though, that it's one of the more fun paths to getting a new party member I've seen in an RPG.

Apart from Zola I can actualy see why everyone would want to be part of the group. Their reasons seem legitimate. And a lot of times in rpg's iv'e looked at characters and thought ''why would such and such want to be in this group''.

Sysgen

djtiesto said:

I got mine at Bestbuy and at first I couldn't find it. It wasn't prominiently displayed. It didn't have tag. It was buried behind Bomberman of all games.

xBigDanx

OK, since I'm a completionist (in that if i know something is there, I need to complete it, if I'm not aware of it, I'm ok) I've got a question. Since this is the very beginning I don't know if i should spoiler text it but I will

At the beginning when you end up falling into the place (cant rememeber what its name is) with the land shark and you fight the poo, there are chests all around and some up on higher levels. when the chest appeared in the middle, I went and opened it before I was finished exploring the area. Did I miss anything special? I doubt it since it's the very beginning... but I'm close enough to the beginning where if I did, I'll just start over.

typhonsentra said:
Holy shit, I didn't see that Gamespot review. :gasp

I still can't get over that they complained about the "bland graphics". Just does not compute. Of all things to fault Blue Dragon for, the graphics shouldn't be one of them. It's an absolutely AMAZING looking game and one of the most impressive I've seen on the system.

Bland graphics? *mind boggles*

Nolan. said:
Apart from Zola I can actualy see why everyone would want to be part of the group. Their reasons seem legitimate. And a lot of times in rpg's iv'e looked at characters and thought ''why would such and such want to be in this group''.

Absolutely! People drop trou on the storyline but I appreciate a simple "What have we gotten ourselves into" story alot more than "You are the clone of the most powerful whatever bullshit nonsense." And The double M was introduced as real genuine hero, bless his heart. Yeah, this is just a simple, charming story, which I appreciate when you're dealing with these sorts of character designs. I never really bought that FFVII idea that this moppet was somehow an angst ridden goth avatar.

The one two punch of this and BioShock has been really strange but really nice. You can't beat playing this game for a few hours, and then going to the dashboard and seeing a big daddy hand reaching for a little sister one. It's like..."Well, there's goes my Cute Buzz."

Natsume

My copy arrived this morning and I'm 4 hours in and loving it. I'm in
the old hospital and I've just beaten the icefirewolf and planted the warp key

I'm really glad I decided to go for this despite what some people were saying.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I still can't get over that they complained about the "bland graphics". Just does not compute. Of all things to fault Blue Dragon for, the graphics shouldn't be one of them. It's an absolutely AMAZING looking game and one of the most impressive I've seen on the system.

yukoner

Rummy Bunnz said:
Make a new Hotmail account and change your country to Hong Kong SAR. Then create a new account on your 360 and enter the new Hotmail info when it asks for your Live ID. I entered nonsense when it asked for address and phone #.

You donb't even need to do this.

Just sign-out in the dashboard, and select create a new Windows Live account.

Select Hong Kong as your location and enter bogus info for everything else 'aaaa' works.

Takes about 3 minutes.

SuperPac

I can see how they might think that because environments are most of the time not terribly detailed or interesting. But it's not Gears of War, it's a different style. I think Toriyama's ubiquitous associations with Dragon Ball Z may keep some away from the game which is sad. And Final Fantasy sells because it's Final Fantasy, not because it has/doesn't have Sakaguchi or Uematsu.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just got my copy!

Unfortunately, it seems as if they haven't sold any additional copies over the last couple days. :( The game is going to bomb hard in the US. Reviews are slamming the game unfairly, it's tossed between lots of other releases, and the sales coming out of the gate are already slow.

dark10x said:
Just got my copy!

Unfortunately, it seems as if they haven't sold any additional copies over the last couple days. :( The game is going to bomb hard in the US. Reviews are slamming the game unfairly, it's tossed between lots of other releases, and the sales coming out of the gate are already slow.

Viva Blue Dragon.

:(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dark10x said:
Just got my copy!

Aren't you going to hang yourself over the framerate though?

PhatSaqs

Banned
dark10x said:
Just got my copy!

Doesnt help that MS isnt throwing much marketing behind the game for the US release. You'd think for a game they obviously invested heavily in they'd maybe try a little harder to get some of that back. :lol at the thought of the game selling more in Japan than in the states.

Oh, and fuck reviews forever. But in this day and age of $60-$70 games people are gonna pay even more attention to them.

Also, bad MS for such a lousy excuse for a demo. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...

PhatSaqs said:
Doesnt help that MS isnt throwing much marketing behind the game for the US release. You'd think for a game they obviously invested heavily in they'd maybe try a little harder to get some of that back. :lol at the thought of the game selling more in Japan than in the states.

Auuuughhahahahahhahaaaaaauuuggghh.

Man. That would be something. Let's hope that a price drop lifts all ships somewhat and that it beats...Tenchu Z. How much did Viva Pinata end up selling all told? 100,000?

virtuafightermaster said:
From the first glance I knew this game sucks, I have been saying this since then. Stupid JRPG

:lol

You owe me a new keyboard, buster. I poured all the Sprite out of it and it's 5t1ll n0t w0rk1ng r1ght.

LJ11

Blimblim said:
Aren't you going to hang yourself over the framerate though?

:lol

I'll pick it up after I put some more time into Persona 3. That shitty demo left a bad taste in my mouth but I'm willing to still give it a shot.

djtiesto

PhatSaqs said:

Oh, and fuck reviews forever. But in this day and age of $60-$70 games people are gonna pay even more attention to them.

Also, bad MS for such a lousy excuse for a demo. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...

MS has *REALLY* dropped the ball with the advertising for this game... many people still have the whole "Xbox = WWII/space marine shooter" mindset, pimping this game would show that the 360 has a much more well-rounded library than what people think. Maybe Lost Odyssey will get a bigger push, as, stylistically, that looks more in line to the most successful RPGs in the west (i.e. Sony-era FF games)?

djtiesto said:
MS has *REALLY* dropped the ball with the advertising for this game... many people still have the whole "Xbox = WWII/space marine shooter" mindset, pimping this game would show that the 360 has a much more well-rounded library than what people think. Maybe Lost Odyssey will get a bigger push, as, stylistically, that looks more in line to the most successful RPGs in the west (i.e. Sony-era FF games)?

To be fair, they've given it the exact same Marketplace and print marketing as BioShock has had, save the TV campaign. Personally, I think a nice FFVII style TV ad would do wonders, but they certainly haven't thrown it under the bus. And Blim made it sound like it was the Gooch who decided on what kind demo to release.

Haklong

Seriously.

I like it a lot. Great graphics, nice music, and I like the class and battle system. I'm not far enough to judge the story, all I know is I have played worst.

goldenpp72

viva pinata actually managed to break 200k or so in the US, it just had its price dropped a lot. It actually sold over half of its sold to date copies in the first 2 months. Xmas helped it a lot.

Haklong

djtiesto said:

I'm surprised that they didn't even make a theme or some gamerpics for it. It's pretty sad actually.

clashfan

Been playing alot more and I'm really getting into the game, it's kind of addicting. There is some framerate issues but not nearly as bad as some people was making it out to be...

Top Bottom