• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

So how is everyone leveling their classes? I've been getting each one to 11 for each dragon and then switching and I'm right now at the entrance to the Land Of The Dead. I'm thinking from now on I'll just level them until I get a new skill then swap.

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
So how is everyone leveling their classes? I've been getting each one to 11 for each dragon and then switching and I'm right now at the entrance to the Land Of The Dead. I'm thinking from now on I'll just level them until I get a new skill then swap.

I've gotten everyone to 8 in Black Magic for the MP Regen and I'm currently working on getting everyone to 18 in White Magic for the HP Regen.

Other than that, I'm focusing on Generalist and a main class for each character:

Shu - Sword Master
Kluke - Black Magic
Jiro - White Magic
Marumaro - Barrier Magic
And eventually Zola - Assassin

I'll be adding a second to each of those. Guardian for Shu, Monk for Maru, Support Magic for Zola. Not sure about Kluke and Jiro yet.

soco

i'm only about 6 hours into the game, but so far i've just leveled up the basic skills of the 3 starting members to about 12, and then started them all on generalist and got that to 8. for kicks, i then swapped some around so i could get some other things. Shu is leveling up Monk, and kluke and Jiro are doing two other types of magic. (can't remember which)

noonche

I'm doing basically the same as Eric WK. Marumaro is the worst character in a long time. I hope he gets sidelined or this game may become unbearable. Other than his stupid, dumb, retarded, irritating ass I really enjoy the game so far.

alske said:
I'm doing basically the same as Eric WK. Marumaro is the worst character in a long time. I hope he gets sidelined or this game may become unbearable. Other than his stupid, dumb, retarded, irritating ass I really enjoy the game so far.

Are you playing with the Japanese or French dub? That's the only way I could handle Marumaro. Hearing that baby talk dialogue in English is just too painful and switching the language helps exponentially, imo. He goes from being an annoying twit into your average retarded jrpg sidekick.

FateBreaker said:
I just got to Jibral Castle. I'm loving this game. GAF: pick this up.

The game really starts to pick up at that point, imo. The game goes through various stages where it reminds me of Grandia, FFV, or Dragon Quest. Jibral Castle was a total Dragon Quest moment.

Geoff9920

I picked this up this morning on a whim. Half a pizza, some soda, 1 power outage, and 5 1/2 hours of game time later, I like it. It is very old school, and I can see what would turn some people off, but it's still very impressive. I've also thought of a new drinking game, every time Shu yells "I will not give up" or Marumaru screams, drink. ;-) Anyway, thank goodness for 4 day weekends. :D

clashfan

I have been playing Blue Dragon for almost 10 hours and I have only gotten 2 achievements. Is this normal or is my 360 messed up?

clashfan said:
I have been playing Blue Dragon for almost 10 hours and I have only gotten 2 achievements. Is this normal or is my 360 messed up?

It's normal. You'll get 2 right off the bat
or 3 if you managed to close the airship doors before the robots enter the room at the beginning of the game
. It'll take some time to get to the other ones.

Flock

i would probably ditch your 360, it's totally broken.

achievements for this game are pretty hard to get, that seems normal

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I started this game and played for 6 hours today, just made it to the
sheep village on the island of the dead
... this game is great, I am loving everything about it, except I kinda wish you could see a full map of places you've already explored in the dungeons. But yeah, the job system looks like it's gonna get really fun (I love all the skills you can get, and I am the biggest FF5 fan too), and I think the field skills you can use add a great dynamic to RPG encounters.

FateBreaker said:
I'm in the last dungeon for disc 1. I would just like to say, man, the music in this place kicks ass. Anyone agree?

You mean that guitar music? Yeah, I liked it quite a bit but it I'll still take the Devee song just out of pure goofiness. It sounded like it was pulled right out of LocoRoco.

Snaku

Banned
Finished disc 1 a bit earlier today and left Jibral. While I was having a great time with the first half of disc 1, the second half blew me away. Loved it, especially the end.

Captain N

Okay../...so what level is everyone at and how many achievement points do you all have?

I'm level 6 and have three achievements totaling in 15 points.

itsme

Banned
Geoff9920 said:
I picked this up this morning on a whim. Half a pizza, some soda, 1 power outage, and 5 1/2 hours of game time later, I like it. It is very old school, and I can see what would turn some people off, but it's still very impressive. I've also thought of a new drinking game, every time Shu yells "I will not give up" or Marumaru screams, drink. ;-) Anyway, thank goodness for 4 day weekends. :D
Could you elaborate your term "old school" and what could possibly turn some people off for me, please?

Geoff9920

By "old school", I mean it reminds me of an evolution of 8 & 16 bit Final Fantasy games. Specifically the job system. Considering the mastermind behind the game, this shouldn't surprise you.

As far as what would turn people off, characterization doesn't appear (in my first 6 hours mind you) to be Blue Dragons strong point. The story is moving slower than what the opening section of the game would lead a player to believe. Also, some of the anime stereotypes are going to turn people off. Personally, the excellent presentation, unique look, and solid gameplay is what's keeping my interest. Sorry about the confusion, the "old school" statement and the mention that some things could turn people off were actually two separate thoughts even though it didn't sound like it.

itsme

Banned
Geoff9920 said:
By "old school", I mean it reminds me of an evolution of 8 & 16 bit Final Fantasy games. Specifically the job system. Considering the mastermind behind the game, this shouldn't surprise you.

As far as what would turn people off, characterization doesn't appear (in my first 6 hours mind you) to be Blue Dragons strong point. The story is moving slower than what the opening section of the game would lead a player to believe. Also, some of the anime stereotypes are going to turn people off. Personally, the excellent presentation, unique look, and solid gameplay is what's keeping my interest. Sorry about the confusion, the "old school" statement and the mention that some things could turn people off were actually two separate thoughts even though it didn't sound like it.

Thanks for the clearification. Since I'm a huge FF4,5,6 fan, I can't go wrong with this game, then. Slow pacing bothers me a bit, though.

THE BAD REVIEWS ARE WRONG. Wrong I tells ya.

OMG, I just finished disc 1 and the way it ended was fuck balls amazing. As much as I loved Dragon Quest VIII, that game had nothing that could compare to the spectacle at the end of the disc 1. Really, really great stuff. I can't wait to see what's going to follow that.

I would assume I am approaching the end of the disc 1.. can anyone give me a point of reference? I just
left the ruined Talta village after coming out of the Gul mountains

Proc

Hitler Stole My Potato said:

OMG, I just finished disc 1 and the way it ended was fuck balls amazing. As much as I loved Dragon Quest VIII, that game had nothing that could compare to the spectacle at the end of the disc 1. Really, really great stuff. I can't wait to see what's going to follow that.

i just fapped a bit..not gonna lie

Robobandit said:
I would assume I am approaching the end of the disc 1.. can anyone give me a point of reference? I just
left the ruined Talta village after coming out of the Gul mountains

You're getting there. You still got a ways to go though.

soco

i'm about 11 hours in and i think for the first time ever in an RPG i'm actually find myself wanting to get into battles trying to get some more monster fights. i'm sure i'll eventually get past that but i'm really kinda enjoying the mechanics. i really love grabbing groups of enemies and having the little random bonus at the end of each enemy.

i'm also really enjoying exploring, especially the dungeons after i've killed all the enemies and don't have to worry about them coming back (so long as i don't leave the dungeons of course).

i'm kinda surprised.

btw, what exactly does the combo value do at the end?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->

****, that makes me so excited to buy this game, Hitler!

fernoca

I kinda liked the demo:
+Really amazing; nealry CG-movie quality visuals
+Catchy songs
+You can see (and evade) the enemies
-That "little voice" that announces everything
-Turn based battles

But overall I enjoyed it, don't know why the sudden hate for a game many were expecting to be good; just because of some weird/bad reviews here and there; is not like they were promoting the game as the biggest (r)evolution in JRPGs.

theultimo

fernoca said:
I kinda liked the demo:
+Catchy songs 1st time I heard that boss battle theme, I thought I started a DBZ episode or something.
-That "little voice" that announces everything OMG YES I WANT TO SHOOT THAT FEMALE. I'll "Detect" her...
My thoughts on 2 points.

fernoca said:
I kinda liked the demo:
+Really amazing; nealry CG-movie quality visuals
+Catchy songs
+You can see (and evade) the enemies
-That "little voice" that announces everything
-Turn based battles

But overall I enjoyed it, don't know why the sudden hate for a game many were expecting to be good; just because of some weird/bad reviews here and there; is not like they were promoting the game as the biggest (r)evolution in JRPGs.

The demo really doesn't do the game any justice at all. It was poorly concieved - a traditional turn based rpg with a group of pumped up anonymous characters in two enviornments without any context at all. I honestly don't know what they were trying to do other than show off some of the graphics. The real game is much, much better.

And I don't get GAF's sudden disinterest in the game either. Infact it's a little frustrating. With as much as GAF likes to wax nostalgic about their favorite old rpgs, here's a game that uses the very same mechanics that they claim to love only wrapped up in flat out amazing production values. The story really isn't any worse than your typical oldschool JRPG and the graphics and music in this game are hard to beat. GAF should be eating this shit up.

There were a ton of people supposedly looking forward to playing it earlier this year and now where the hell are they?

*BTW you can turn off that voice that announces things like "detected" or "item" in the final game.

theultimo

*BTW you can (and should) turn off that voice that announces things like "detected" or "item" in the final game.
THANK YOU FOR MY EARS. I WAS ABOUT READY TO MUTE THE TV.

Otherwise, its a modern FFV whats not TO LIKE?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
My first 30 minutes impression:

-What the shit, I can interact with ALL objects? How tedious. Do they hide rare items into these things? They better not.
-WTF is with the announcer? Ugh. Will have to check the options to turn that off.

Graphics look awesome though. Are cut scenes real time? They look too good

Wario64 said:

-What the shit, I can interact with ALL objects? How tedious. Do they hide rare items into these things? They better not.
-WTF is with the announcer? Ugh. Will have to check the options to turn that off.

Turn off the announcer in the option menu. It's the first thing I did in the game.

I haven't run into any rare items laying about - just your typical gold, jewels, medals, etc. I'm sure they're out there though. Blue Dragon will more than likely drive any completeist crazy because of all the searchable stuff.

Cut scenes are a mixture of real time (with added effects - like how MGS and Halo does it) , and FMV.

Wario64 said:

Tedious maybe, but in Jibral there's a Nothing man, who trades all your Nothings for rare accessories.

Regarding my shadow levelling, I've gotten all the skills I needed, and now I'm just casually levelling up on one save file, whilst the other is somewhere in the final dungeon(s) area.

GreekWolf

There were a ton of people supposedly looking forward to playing it earlier this year and now where the hell are they?
Right here! After I finish my second run-through of Bioshock (this time on hard) I'll be picking it up

This game needs an automap. Wandering around mazes looking for the paths you missed on your first sweep is boring.

On the other hand not having the enemies respawn in a maze unless you exit it and return makes it less obnoxious.

noonche

Are you playing with the Japanese or French dub? That's the only way I could handle Marumaro. Hearing that baby talk dialogue in English is just too painful and switching the language helps exponentially, imo. He goes from being an annoying twit into your average retarded jrpg sidekick.

Japanese dub. It's horrible. In fact the acting seems universally atrocious. That conversation between Jiro and whats-her-face after the segment in Marumaro's hometown was some of the worst dialog I've seen since Grandia 3 and Wild Arms 4.

After playing the game for 3 days now i can only say: I definetly DONT understand the low ratings. It's no milestone, it's no innovative new jRPG, but it is still a great game.

Just started the
Devee Plague
quest. Now that my characters are a bit more leveled up, Im gonna take down that damn sleeping bear.:D Man, I am really enjoying the battle system to the game. Like everyone has said, classic, classic, CLASSIC turn based system but the great thing is that it doesn't have the tediousness of the old systems. The charge moves really add a new layer of strategy to the system as well. Also, it seems that your character does a bit more damage if you attack right away, or when your shadows get that electric/fire charge. That's a nice little touch for players that can strategies quickly.

The only complaint I have at the moment is with the cutscenes. They are pretty cool to watch, but they seem to come in only short durations before the game has to load the next scene. Really takes you out of the moment. Also,
what the hell as up with the lack of music during the encounter with Nene in Lago Village!
Hopefully its not like that for other scenes.

I've been playing for about 6 or so hours. Loving the game, no idea what is up with the GAF hate and whatnot but I guess it's the groupthink in effect. Who knew people on GAF put so much trust in reviews? And seemingly only the negative ones??

Anyway this game is why I play RPGs. Great game, I fear for it's sales now though which would be a real shame.

C'mon, it's not just reviews. The demo was so terrible and probably did more to turn folks around here off of the game than anything else.

I wanted to turn off the announcer at first but now I kinda dig how out of place and flat she sounds.

It's a really neat game so far.

GremlinInTheMachine said:
This game needs an automap. Wandering around mazes looking for the paths you missed on your first sweep is boring.

On the other hand not having the enemies respawn in a maze unless you exit it and return makes it less obnoxious.

Yes. I think pause should bring up a dungeon/town map rather than the world map.

I finished it this morning, the ending was pretty cool. A lot of it was predictable, but a bunch of other stuff wasn't! I enjoyed it a lot.

Going for the Level 99 and Shadow Rank achievements now. If it was a PS2 RPG I'd probably have laid it to rest after beating it, but the achievements really make you want to carry on!

itsme

Banned
Android18a said:
Yes. I think pause should bring up a dungeon/town map rather than the world map.

I finished it this morning, the ending was pretty cool. A lot of it was predictable, but a bunch of other stuff wasn't! I enjoyed it a lot.

Going for the Level 99 and Shadow Rank achievements now. If it was a PS2 RPG I'd probably have laid it to rest after beating it, but the achievements really make you want to carry on!
Tell me about it. With achievements, I'm getting more mileage out of games, although sometimes it's my OCD that's driving my urge rather than pure fun factor. I don't buy games for achievement points but I can't stand having a game with less than a few hundred points in my list...hence, force myself play more.

Anyway, despite of negative reviews and lack of marketing, I'll pick it up today thanks to fellow GAF members. Looking forward to it.

Gowans

ok what the hell!
Maru Maro is going mental looking for some medicine in a room, where the hell is it, ive looked everywhere!

(mayeb not everywhere)

edit:
found it!

Masta_Killah said:
Just started the
Devee Plague
quest. Now that my characters are a bit more leveled up, Im gonna take down that damn sleeping bear.

Where is that dude? Before I figured out the right tactic I got a Game Over from a Magic Jellyfish. The thing DEMOLISHED me.

itsme said:
Anyway, despite of negative reviews and lack of marketing, I'll pick it up today thanks to fellow GAF members. Looking forward to it.

It's gotten a few negative reviews but it's also recieved its fair share of good ones as well -

Gamespy - 4/5
Official Xbox Magazine - 8.5/10
TeamXbox - 8.5/10
IC Games - 90/100
gamesTM - 9/10
GameBrink - 88/100
CVG - 9/10
Jeux France - 18/20
Game Informer - 9/10
GamePro - 4.75/5
Famitsu - 9,9,9,10
Official Xbox Magazine UK - 9/10
Play Magazine - 9/10 ....ugh
360 Gamer Magazine UK - 9/10
Games Master UK - 86/100

But screw the reviews. If you're looking for a traditional jrpg with next gen polish, then you can't go wrong with Blue Dragon.

As I go through this game, I realize it's not groundbreaking, but damn, there is something just so charming and likable about Blue Dragon. It's got the "just one more hour, just one more hour" thing going on.

FateBreaker said:
As I go through this game, I realize it's not groundbreaking, but damn, there is something just so charming and likable about Blue Dragon. It's got the "just one more hour, just one more hour" thing going on.

Totally agree. It's really flagrantly simple, from the combat to the reward system to the class system but my lord it so gorgeous and so charming.

Top Bottom