• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Takuhi said:
I would say "don't grind at all if you want a challenge later in the game". If you're obsessive about achievements, know that there are rare enemies you could easily miss and can never go back for, and rare items that only appear in areas you cannot return to or can only steal from bosses. These really impact nothing except for the complete-record achievements, though.

Good grief...

I don't want to spoil any of the game. So, can someone who's beat it put together a list of things we need to do to get these particular achievements?

Darkman M

Im now on disk three and ready to get my level grind on(hopefully it last me till Eternal Sonota) Anyways whats the best place to Exp grind now? Any tips is appreciated.

Diablos

Something really weird I just read on Wikipedia about Blue Dragon and...
Chrono Trigger?!

During a Cubed³ interview on 1 February, 2007, Square Enix’s Senior Vice President Hiromichi Tanaka said that although no [Chrono Trigger] sequel is currently planned, some sort of sequel is still possible.[67][55] Hironobu Sakaguchi remarked in April 2007 that his creation Blue Dragon was an "extension of [Chrono Trigger]."[68]

huh? Based on what I've seen, Blue Dragon has absolutely nothing to do with Chrono Trigger!

Eric WK

Just hit disk three.

How long is disk three and how soon after Devour Village should I begin doing all of the optional stuff? I just don't want to progress too far and not be able to do them.

SuperPac

So is the Laser Field where everyone is grinding for easy levels? I just got there, and I'm sure there's a "goal" here too but if I complete it can I come back for more easy leveling, or should I reset the enemies by leaving and coming back? It's surprising how much EXP even the weakest enemies give you there.

I just read all the achievements and none of them are related to the story. They are all basically for maxing up your characters and doing quirky things during the course of the game.

You don't even get one for beating the game. WTF?!?!?

Xevren

Eric WK said:
Just hit disk three.

How long is disk three and how soon after Devour Village should I begin doing all of the optional stuff? I just don't want to progress too far and not be able to do them.

It's not that long, its pretty easy to tell when you can go do your optional sidequests. How do you post spoiler tags on here anyway?

SuperPac said:
So is the Laser Field where everyone is grinding for easy levels? I just got there, and I'm sure there's a "goal" here too but if I complete it can I come back for more easy leveling, or should I reset the enemies by leaving and coming back? It's surprising how much EXP even the weakest enemies give you there.

No, skip that. I don't know what the hell people are doing in the Laser Fields. If you want to find THE area to level grind, keep going a little further. In the Underground River there's an area filled with little guys with leafs on their helmets. They're incredibly easy to beat and they give you more xp and sp than pretty much anything you've fought prior to that point. There's one area in the Underground River that's crawling with 'em...there must be 40-50 of them in that one spot. That area also happens to be right next to a save cube AND a warp pedestal. It's as if Sakaguchi's begging you to grind there. Just put stink on all your characters and go to town.

Eric WK

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
No, skip that. I don't know what the hell people are doing in the Laser Fields. If you want to find THE area to level grind, keep going a little further. In the Underground River there's an area filled with little guys with leafs on their helmets. They're incredibly easy to beat and they give you more xp and sp than pretty much anything you've fought prior to that point. There's one area in the Underground River that's crawling with 'em...there must be 40-50 of them in that one spot. That area also happens to be right next to a save cube AND a warp pedestal. It's as if Sakaguchi's begging you to grind there. Just put stink on all your characters and go to town.

Have you killed them all to get the rare spawn? And if so, did they respawn after leaving and coming back?

Eric WK

Nah, I never killed them all. I gotta go back there and do that.

Yeah, because I definitely want to grind there while I'm doing optional stuff. While I'm in Devour Village I'm going steal a few Double SP Black Belts from the Eet-Yeet and just use Field Barrier 3 in there.

Diablos

4lxkjr9.png

Brashnir

Just got the
mechat
and boy does the gameplay ever do a 180 at that point. It goes from being almost completely linear, to being almost completely open. I also got my ass handed to me a few times - once by a regular trash mob in
The floating sea cube thing

I guess I'll need to do some grinding after all.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dirtmonkey37 said:
Aw, man. Disc three is short?
Depends if you do the optional stuff or not. Took me about the same time than the other discs, and I didn't do all the side quests.
Brashnir said:
Just got the
mechat
and boy does the gameplay ever do a 180 at that point. It goes from being almost completely linear, to being almost completely open. I also got my ass handed to me a few times - once by a regular trash mob in
The floating sea cube thing

I guess I'll need to do some grinding after all.
you definitely want to do some grinding for that cube, the boss is tough

IJoel

Well, I just got through disc 1, and I'm really loving the game. The graphics are great, and hard to believe at times. Mural Village, and Castle Jibral look truly stunning. That said, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I know I'll end up hating the game because of the item collection mechanics (yes, I know it's not necessary but I can't help it!) So far I've collected about 770 nothings (just started disc 2).

Oh, and what the devil is it with Toripo? Are medals for anything else besides spending it on his items? My hoarding habits are preventing me from parting with any items.

Xevren said:
I use Laser Field for all my barrier farming. When you warp there just go straight and look to your left a little, you should see 3 mole type flying uh things? I don't know what to call them. But they respawn pretty fast. I just left the game on over night and left them there.

Really? They didnt seem to respawn for me. Hmm.

Anyway, I just beat
Golden Mecha Robo and King Poo
. Pretty tough battles, wouldn't want to try those ones on Hard mode!

Anyone know if there's a Break HP Limit type of thing? My HP seemed to cap out at 999 at about level 70-ish, and my healing spells regularly heal more than 1200 HP. Seems to me there must be a way.

yukoner

Danielsan said:
Yeah it's definitely too easy and that does take out some fun out of the game.

You guys really should've played on hard. I had to grind for an hour and a half to beat the 4 header serpent boss early in the game, got my ass whooped at first, bumped everyone up about 2 levels/ranks, and took it down farily easily.

It's almost perfectly balanced. On that hard side, but rarely frustrating.

pilonv1

theultimo said:
In the first dungeon, a few of the chests you can open screw you over later, by not getting the best weapon.

Not just the first dungeon. There's chests scattered all over the place that you can't open....it's incredibly ridiculous.

Someone explain this to me before I start the game.

Brashnir

pilonv1 said:
Someone explain this to me before I start the game.

I don't know about the first one/screwing yourself, but there's barriers around some chests and doors that you can't get through until later in the game when you get the devices to open/remove them.

pilonv1

Yeah that bit I understood, I've messed around with the first hour or so with the game. I just wanted to know about early chests screwing you over.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
pilonv1 said:
Yeah that bit I understood, I've messed around with the first hour or so with the game. I just wanted to know about early chests screwing you over.

I'm not sure if this is worth putting in spoiler tags but you never know. You get the items for removing the barriers during the story (except for one which you need to beat an optional boss for) so you haven't missed anything and I think all the barriers can be revisited. Removing all the barriers is an achievement too.

If you are worried about missing monsters or items for achievements then there is a really detailed achievement guide on Gamefaqs. I'm personally not too bothered :)

Detailed achievement guide - might contain spoilers
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/927950/46973

theultimo

Willy Wanka said:
I'm not sure if this is worth putting in spoiler tags but you never know. You get the items for removing the barriers during the story (except for one which you need to beat an optional boss for) so you haven't missed anything and I think all the barriers can be revisited. Removing all the barriers is an achievement too.

If you are worried about missing monsters or items for achievements then there is a really detailed achievement guide on Gamefaqs. I'm personally not too bothered :)

Detailed achievement guide - might contain spoilers
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/927950/46973
Hes talking about FFXII i think:

well, escapist said something about this specific item:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...p-ed/860-Final-Fantasy-XII-s-Unfair-Astrology

Here's the real rub, though: The four chests that forever doom you to lesser weaponry are generally placed no differently than any of the game's hundreds of other treasure chests. There's no warning that they shouldn't be opened. There's no hint that they're special, even after they've been cracked. Even worse, most are found in conspicuous locations near the beginning of the game

Note: might have confused people, but this is FFXII NOT BD.

Xevren

Just beat King Poo. I'm still baffled how I pulled that out of my ass, good lord he's tough. Must be there version of final fantasy type Ultimate Weapon monsters.

Brashnir

Xevren said:
Just beat King Poo. I'm still baffled how I pulled that out of my ass, good lord he's tough. Must be there version of final fantasy type Ultimate Weapon monsters.

I'm guessing the bracelet that allows you to 1-shot poos doesn't work on King Poo, right?

Xevren

Brashnir said:
I'm guessing the bracelet that allows you to 1-shot poos doesn't work on King Poo, right?

I just assumed it didn't.

Doomgaze-MWFR said:
where u found him ?

Disc 3, ancient cavern. After you beat the first 2 large poo creatures try to leave and he'll pop up. VERY tough.

Xevren said:

Yeah. I find Endure is a vital skill for that battle, essentially doubling your HP. With Resurrection too, that's like having 3997-ish HP. Plus you're bound to get a limit break or two if you're taking that kind of damage.

I'd always struggled with it, but this last attempt where I beat it this morning, I actually found it pretty easy. I'll sing the praises of a charged Quicka magic, too :p

Xevren

If it weren't for wallus I probably would have received the worst beating ever. It saved my ass a lot. Pretty much all my damage was from Corp attacks.

Bebpo

Banned
Xevren said:
If it weren't for wallus I probably would have received the worst beating ever. It saved my ass a lot. Pretty much all my damage was from Corp attacks.

Golden Robo dude is even harder. Be prepared :p

Xevren

Darkman M said:
What level did you fight him at?

Character level? Most of my people are in the 50'ish range. I have all the skills unlocked but one class for each character at 99. I just didnt go into the fight very prepared, I generally just try them out first then go from there. Still surprised I was able to beat him my first time going against him.

Bebpo said:
Golden Robo dude is even harder. Be prepared :p

Sweet!

Darkman M

Xevren said:
Character level? Most of my people are in the 50'ish range. I have all the skills unlocked but one class for each character at 99. I just didnt go into the fight very prepared, I generally just try them out first then go from there. Still surprised I was able to beat him my first time going against him.

Sweet!

Thats not bad at all i accidentally ran up on him at level 40ish, needless to say i got owned bad he pretty much one shotted my party, im in the process of powerleveling Golden poos. My main class with shu is close to level 90 but my level is only like level 56. I think ill powerlevel to my 80's or so before i fight him just for payback :lol

OK, guys, I officially have to admit something: I have no idea wtf critics are talking about on this one. THe average at gamerankings is 77%. I'd MAYBE give a "77" for disc 1, but disc 2 and 3 have boosted it up way more. This is not only visually and aurally a beautiful game, but it's one of the most fun games I have played in a while. It's sickening to think how many people are going to ignore this one in the US.

Eric WK

Found a somewhat reasonable spot to grind XP, but I don't know if I feel like taking it to 99. At the very beginning of the Ancient Ruins - Forest, the four poos give just over a thousand XP each and can be cleared in ~3 minutes. I usually have Kluke wearing the shoes that always have her attack first and just use the first ground skill - wipes them all out.

I don't know. We'll see how I feel about doing that for hours on end.

Oh and according to the achievement guide here,

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36783

, you can use the Poo Bracelet on the Golden Poo Snakes.

That guide is much more streamlined and accessible than the one on GameFAQs too.

PhatSaqs

Banned
FateBreaker said:
OK, guys, I officially have to admit something: I have no idea wtf critics are talking about on this one. THe average at gamerankings is 77%. I'd MAYBE give a "77" for disc 1, but disc 2 and 3 have boosted it up way more. This is not only visually and aurally a beautiful game, but it's one of the most fun games I have played in a while. It's sickening to think how many people are going to ignore this one in the US.
Truth.

So I just started Disc 2, 16 hours of play. Was I too fast?

Anyway. I love it, it's so charming and shit, it's sort of easy but I'm still getting my ass whomped against some folks.

Also maybe because I'm older and wiser or because it's prettier or whatever but this is the first time in an RPG I've actually thought tactically about formations and physical attack people v. magic attack and it's working really splendidly.

One question:

WHy do my dragons some times seem to have magic enhancements (ground spikes or stuff) for the physical attacks and what difference is it making (if any)? Note, this is not me using Magic Sword. Sometimes the Shadow comes out and it looks like its sporting ground or flame magic.

<nu>faust

<nu>faust said:
i guess i'm the only person in the world who encountered the warp portal bug since i coudn't find anything referring to such problem on the interwebs and it looks like none of my fellow gaffers have any idea either why it might be happening either. so i guess i'll have to re-start the game since i wasn't that far anyways (only couple of hours in) and i had only one save file, but i swear to god i'm returning this game if that crap happens again ;(
i restarted the game and played the first couple of hours again and the same freaking bug froze my game at the drill machine ;( sorry sakaguchi-san your buggy game is going back to gamestop.

BenjaminBirdie said:
So I just started Disc 2, 16 hours of play. Was I too fast?

Anyway. I love it, it's so charming and shit, it's sort of easy but I'm still getting my ass whomped against some folks.

Also maybe because I'm older and wiser or because it's prettier or whatever but this is the first time in an RPG I've actually thought tactically about formations and physical attack people v. magic attack and it's working really splendidly.

One question:

WHy do my dragons some times seem to have magic enhancements (ground spikes or stuff) for the physical attacks and what difference is it making (if any)? Note, this is not me using Magic Sword. Sometimes the Shadow comes out and it looks like its sporting ground or flame magic.

From what I can tell, the dragons deal a little bit more damage when they are surrounded by those element effects. Anyways, for anyone who has dl'd hardmode, can you switch it after starting the game, or do you have to set it in the beginning? Im 20+ hours in(just got to the Castle :lol) and dont really want to start over again.

Also, anyone get the ancient phonograph
its at Klukes home
? Such a sad and beautiful song. Really tells a lot about Kluke as a character.

<nu>faust said:
i restarted the game and played the first couple of hours again and the same freaking bug froze my game at the drill machine ;( sorry sakaguchi-san your buggy game is going back to gamestop.

why didn't you save at the drill machine place on the first floor? There's a save point right there and you can hold off on turning on the portal
till after you get to Maru
. Also, why not go to GS and tell them that the game is messed up. They will usually exchange them if its the case(at least the GS by me does it).

noonche

FateBreaker said:

I'm on disc 3 and pretty much agree with you. I still think the game is too easy, and Marumaro is the worst character ever, but I really like most everything else about the game.

I think that this is some of Uematsu's best work in years, I absolutely must track down the soundtrack.

Edit: I'd also like to know what the deal with hardmode is.

BenjaminBirdie said:
And how does that happen? The Earth/Wind/Fire accessories?

Not really sure. I have the strategy guide at home so Ill go check it out later today and see if it says anything. IMO, I think its random, having a higher chance of happening when fighting weak enemies(makes clearing them go by faster). The element effects might be related to what attack element boost equipment you might have on. When the effect happens, hold down LB or RB to see what attack boost you have on and see if it matches the dragons element effects.

Top Bottom