• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Eric WK said:
Found a somewhat reasonable spot to grind XP, but I don't know if I feel like taking it to 99. At the very beginning of the Ancient Ruins - Forest, the four poos give just over a thousand XP each and can be cleared in ~3 minutes. I usually have Kluke wearing the shoes that always have her attack first and just use the first ground skill - wipes them all out.

I don't know. We'll see how I feel about doing that for hours on end.

Oh and according to the achievement guide here,

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36783

, you can use the Poo Bracelet on the Golden Poo Snakes.

That guide is much more streamlined and accessible than the one on GameFAQs too.

Just go through the Flying Mecha Base. It's an easy walkthrough and it can net you a LOT of EXP if you clear every room. If you insist on fighting Poos, there's an island on the south of the map where they respawn, but it's slow compared to other ways.

I've got a question about the end of disc 2 and a possible achievement.....
do you get an achievement if you can avoid Nene from stomping on you with his mecha-ostrich? I'm assuming you do since that's the way this game has been going for achievements but I'd like to know for sure.

I'm really trying to avoid using any guides here.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I've got a question about the end of disc 2 and a possible achievement.....
do you get an achievement if you can avoid Nene from stomping on you with his mecha-ostrich? I'm assuming you do since that's the way this game has been going for achievements but I'd like to know for sure.

I'm really trying to avoid using any guides here.

The achievements don't spoil anything about the story. They are all for leveling up your characters and doing quirky things throughout the game. There are no achievements for reaching points in the game like say Bioshock has.

Last night I went back and did an ahievements for closing the door before any of the mechanical soldiers get through. It was like in the first half hour of the game. There are 5 or 6 other achievements just like it. They call them "Dexterity" Achievements...stoopit.

masterkajo

I finished the game today...

... and I am really glad I picked it up. It was the reason for buying a XBox 360 for me at first but after the reviews I had some doubts. Thank god, I trusted my instincts and bought a XBox 360 and Blue Dragon.

As a lot of people have already mentioned here, the story and the game itslef gets better with each DVD. The story seems straight forward at first but has some nice little twists here and there.

All in all, I had a lot of fun playing Blue Dragon and really cannot understand all the bad reviews it got. I, myself, would give it no less than an 8.7/10

*cries* My Disc 3 has a nasty circle scratch right around the outside and won't let me do almost anything now! Damn you, Xbox! DAMN YOU!!!

Anyone want to sort me out with a new Disc 3? :p

soco

Android18a said:
*cries* My Disc 3 has a nasty circle scratch right around the outside and won't let me do almost anything now! Damn you, Xbox! DAMN YOU!!!

Anyone want to sort me out with a new Disc 3? :p

i had the same thing on the first copy i bought. i mentioned in the earlier post for people to check their games. thankfully i noticed mine before i left the mall (i picked up the game before getting my hair cut) and i took it back and traded it. in the manual it says you can take it back within 30 days and if they don't replace it, they'll send it off to be replaced.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just finished disk 1 and made it to the Laser Fields... one thing on disk 1 I noticed, in a few of the final cinemas, it would pause and then start back up again, after skipping parts of the cinemas... I checked the disk and there wasn't a scratch in sight, could it just be that my 360 was overheating a bit from playing the game too long continuously?

soco

djtiesto said:
Just finished disk 1 and made it to the Laser Fields... one thing on disk 1 I noticed, in a few of the final cinemas, it would pause and then start back up again, after skipping parts of the cinemas... I checked the disk and there wasn't a scratch in sight, could it just be that my 360 was overheating a bit from playing the game too long continuously?

i noticed a few odd places like this at the very end, most notably in the
mechat scenes before the mechat fight
. and i think what this is several videos that are played back to back, and the next one takes some time to load and start when the first one ends, so it seems like an odd pause. i played the
mechat thing
several times through and it did exactly the same thing every time. i also noticed that if i hit start to skip them, it'd just go to the next video.

is this like your problem?

soco said:
i noticed a few odd places like this at the very end, most notably in the
mechat scenes before the mechat fight
. and i think what this is several videos that are played back to back, and the next one takes some time to load and start when the first one ends, so it seems like an odd pause. i played the
mechat thing
several times through and it did exactly the same thing every time. i also noticed that if i hit start to skip them, it'd just go to the next video.

is this like your problem?

My longest load in the game was indeed at that same spot.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Alrighty, looks like it wasn't just me, then... 2 and a half more hours till I get out of work and back home to play more BD, haven't been this excited to get home and play a game in quite a while!

cilonen

clashfan said:
What is that about? I just bought FFXII but havent' started playing yet. Is there something I need to be aware of?

In the lower level of Rabanastre, outside the entrance to Dalan's house is a chest; don't touch it.

It's one of 4 chests in the game you shouldn't touch if you want the Zodiac Spear - the game's best weapon - to show up in a dungeon much, much later on.

Google 'Zodiac Spear' for more details!

I was just curious. I know that an XBOX fan would look at my post history and snarl madly but I really am just wondering. I have nothing against the 360.

Its just interesting to see what Official Threads get sticky-ed and which don't. There doesn't seem to be a specific factor. Though it seems that the "better" the OP the better chance it has.

XHitoshuraX said:
I was just curious. I know that an XBOX fan would look at my post history and snarl madly but I really am just wondering. I have nothing against the 360.

Its just interesting to see what Official Threads get sticky-ed and which don't. There doesn't seem to be a specific factor. Though it seems that the "better" the OP the better chance it has.

No, it's just for big releases or big community presence releases. Blue Dragon was neither.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I'm on disc 1 and I'm already having fun. I mean, it's no Bioshock but it's certainly not "boring" as many critics have claimed.

And, if you're not having fun, you can admire the aesthetic experience Blue Dragon provides to complement the exciting and gratifying combat. The music, the art direction (Toriyama's style is so pleasant; easy on the eyes to say the least), and the raw graphical fidelity presented through the game's masterfully developed engine are enough to hold any cynical gamer until disc 2 (aka: fun) starts.

Of course, the above sentence is only applicable to hard-to-please individuals: disc-one has been a fun romp so far.

That cereberus-type creature was extremely exciting to fight. I loved how the element kept changing...

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Also, a question:

The game's manual mentions that charging an attack in the "sweet spot" reduces MP consumption and time "lag."

What is meant by "time lag"? Does it mean that if I were to charge my attack past the red "sweet spot" it will be equally powerful as charging it in the red "sweet spot" but it will be delayed a couple character-turns?

yukoner

dirtmonkey37 said:
What is meant by "time lag"? Does it mean that if I were to charge my attack past the red "sweet spot" it will be equally powerful as charging it in the red "sweet spot" but it will be delayed a couple character-turns?

Hitting the sweetspot simply makes your character attack a little faster than they would normally.

Alot of the time, I find it'll bump you up one spot. So if the sweetspot is located right after Kluke's attack, and you hit it, you may get bumped up one spot, ahead of Kluke.

If you don't hit the sweetspot, then you simply attack in the spot indicated on the attack bar, wherever you let off the button.

Nolan.

So finally finished this game. Whaaat? how did I not guess that
Toripo was actually Akira Toriyama
it's so goofy looking back at it makes me laugh. Anyway nice game still didn't hate it at all. It's got so much charm to it yet there's so much more they could have done to blow everyone out of the water. In the end I was kind of relieved I finished it because that last dungeon was a pain for me personally. It's kind of like a combination of my not so favourite things in an rpg.
I mean confined spaces, packed with a lot of monsters. Climbing different levels/floors. Zig zagging your way across rooms and running to and from between them to click a switch or just do something simple. Oh and lava.

However Blue Dragon managed somehow to keep my interest throughout and even though I complained about minor things such as art I still really enjoyed it. And if a game I didn't really have much faith in can be so enjoyable I can't wait to see what becomes of Lost Odyssey. All in all well worth the time and effort and just goes to prove why I hardly ever listen to reviews religiously.

dirtmonkey37 said:
Also, a question:

The game's manual mentions that charging an attack in the "sweet spot" reduces MP consumption and time "lag."

Think of it as a free one turn quick spell. Its useful when you want a character to get ahead in the attack order. Don't know what the % is, but Im guessing a speed boost of around ~10% for one turn. Works wonders with more difficult bosses and your attack order is all jacked up. And yes, charging pass the sweet spot makes your character fall farther in the attack order, but increases their attack power like crazy. Its worth it though, as my level 20 Maru, using a charged sword attack, can deal 200+ hp when fully charged. Helpful in boss fights when done correctly.

Nolan.

Also have to say I think this is the first rpg where my group of characters have been level 50 and below and still manage to take out the boss.

Nolan. said:
However Blue Dragon managed somehow to keep my interest throughout and even though I complained about minor things such as art I still really enjoyed it. And if a game I didn't really have much faith in can be so enjoyable I can't wait to see what becomes of Lost Odyssey. All in all well worth the time and effort and just goes to prove why I hardly ever listen to reviews religiously.

well said

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Okay, how do I kill a golden poo snake? Even when I back attack the little bastards they flee before I can do anything.

Edit: Naturally the next three golden poop snakes I met after posting I got First Attack on. Meh. They still get away too frequently for this to feel like a viable levelling strategy.

Sysgen

I hit the
mural
city last night and just f'n wow at those visuals. Have
mural
monsters been done in an rpg before?

Frillen

So I just leveled up from 30 to 40 with all my characters in the
"underground river" by grinding there for 2 hours :p Kelolons FTW!

Roxas

has anyone else had a problem with the achievments. I know ive definatly completed them, but they havent been "unlocked".

For example...

When Nene
throws Kluke from the top of the giant mecha and you have to save her
near the end of disk 2. I did that perfectly and didnt get the achievment.

Also
when you are being crushed by the sasquatch (sp?) and you have to press X like crazy. I did that without losing any life, but again didnt get the achievment

I'm a little miffed about it all because these achievments are about 35-40 hours in, and cannot go back to get them now.

Xevren

Whats your agility of the person who has it equipped? Theres a few more items out there to keep boosting your agility. Skill ninja swiftness helps too, just need really high agility.

Danielsan

I'm finally at the end of disc 1 and still enjoying the game a lot. The Jibral Castle was a bit too slow for my taste which for the most part was the fault of the nothingman. Damn you Blue Dragon and your nothings and other useless items everywhere!

Btw am I the only one who thinks save points should have been a bit more frequent? Most of the time the save points are around 45-60 minutes apart which is bit anoying especially if you don't have a lot of time.

painey

I really want to get back into this game but i am too stressed about a test ive got on thursday so i dont like getting involved in a game with a story..odd i know but im wierd like that. Hopefully I pass and them im all gravy for BD.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Xevren said:
Whats your agility of the person who has it equipped? Theres a few more items out there to keep boosting your agility. Skill ninja swiftness helps too, just need really high agility.

162, I think. That's at level 45 or so with a 99 level ninja shadow.

Danielsan

siamesedreamer said:
I've got like 60 something medals. I know they help you level up, but how do you go about doing that?
There is the weird character that you'll encounter that will give you the option to buy items with your medals that level up classes or boost stats. I've only encountered him once and after I bought a few items he ran off..

Darkman M

The trick for the golden snakes is simple, simply equip the stun bomb field skill throw the bomb at the snake attack it with the x button while it's paralyzed and you get first attack everytime.

No extra accessory's needed :D

Danielsan said:
There is the weird character that you'll encounter that will give you the option to buy items with your medals that level up classes or boost stats. I've only encountered him once and after I bought a few items he ran off..

You mispelled "Best Walk-On Character In The History Of Gaming, The Jesus Quintana Of JRPGs"...

theultimo

Danielsan said:
Turipo?

Also, where is this nothingman, I still can't find him :\

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Darkman M said:
The trick for the golden snakes is simple, simply equip the stun bomb field skill throw the bomb at the snake attack it with the x button while it's paralyzed and you get first attack everytime.

Untrue - I just tried that and it flees every time. :p

Top Bottom