• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint: "Still working on original title"

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
After seeing everything they did to Demon's Souls, this one is better off just being cancelled. Sometimes I wish Microsoft owned them just so they can be unceremoniously shuttered.
Need Want GIF

yurinka

yurinka yurinka dead going to go after everyone on GaF if Bluepoint reveals some new IP they are working on lol

Bluepoint may be working on a new IP, like Intergallactic: The Heretic Prophet. But as a support team, not as the lead dev team.

As Sony recently said, they are a support team.

That's what I'm saying, that another studio - say Santa Monica - would provide the creative and design staff in charge of calling the shots for a game that the entirety of Bluepoint would work on.

Kinda like a The Initiative/Crystal Dynamics scenario, only if The Initiative were the actual design powerhouse and Crystal Dynamics were known for their art & tech chops.
Yes. Looking at the GoWR game credits and Bluepoint's LinkedIn page all the Bluepoint devs worked on GoWR.

So it's fair to assume that all of them after GoWR moved to whatever original game they are working on as support team.

Last edited:

yurinka

You keep bringing up Sony Japan like they did anything besides administrative paperwork. Are they forming your opinion? "If Sony Japan signed off on it, I know it to be good". Do you have any person opinions about the changes? Maybe I'm taking for granted that you played the original. How do you explain Latria in the remake?
They didn't only make administrative work in the Demon's Souls remake.

Their XDEV Japanese team included the creative director of the remake, producers, artists, animators, designers, programmers, audio staff, localization, QA and so on. Plus as usual in any Sony 2nd party title, the XDEV (short for "Extrernal Development") team also managed the many support/outsourcing teams who worked in the remake.

Bluepoint (plus many internal and external support/outsourcing teams managed by Japan Studio's XDEV team) was in charge / did the heavy lifting with engineering and specially art even if other support/outsourcing teams did work in these -and many other- areas. Being a remake, the engineering and art are the most important parts.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
They didn't only make administrative work in the Demon's Souls remake.

Their XDEV Japanese team included the creative director of the remake, producers, artists, animators, designers, programmers, audio staff, localization, QA and so on. Plus as usual in any Sony 2nd party title, the XDEV (short for "Extrernal Development") team also managed the many support/outsourcing teams who worked in the remake.

Bluepoint (plus many internal and external support/outsourcing teams managed by Japan Studio's XDEV team) was in charge / did the heavy lifting with engineering and specially art even if other support/outsourcing teams did work in these -and many other- areas. Being a remake, the engineering and art are the most important parts.
There’s an interview out there with a Bluepoint guy who justifies his changes. Made it sounds like they came from him or his company at least. Either way, the extremity of what they charged is troubling. All you’re telling me is to put Japan Studio on the same shit list as Bluepoint. I have yet to read anything close to a plausible justification. I think everyone defending it didn’t play the original.

simpatico

Gold Member
As I said, every change was made under the direction of Sony Japan, this is not a Bluepoint game.
Agree to disagree, I guess. I just find very little substance in these takes.
I gave specific examples. You didn’t even try to debate them. So who’s not posting substance? Explain Latria changes. I’ll wait.

tommib

I gave specific examples. You didn’t even try to debate them. So who’s not posting substance? Explain Latria changes. I’ll wait.
There are a thousand things you could pinpoint about how misinterpreted Demon’s Souls was in its remake. Latria is not one of them. It’s by far the most true to the original area.

However, Boletaria was transformed from a medieval castle to a Neo-gothic castle/cathedral that makes no sense in that world.

simpatico

Gold Member
There are a thousand things you could pinpoint about how misinterpreted Demon’s Souls was in its remake. Latria is not one of them. It’s by far the most true to the original area.

However, Boletaria was transformed from a medieval castle to a Neo-gothic castle/cathedral that makes no sense in that world.
Not for me. The original was a dark, dank torture chamber. The only sounds were the buzzing of flies and screams of victims. Later you'd hear the lady singing two notes in her cell, but it would only appear when you were close. The remake, it's a much cleaner place, and for some reason they play the song that was used after defeating the final boss in the original. No clue why thought it belonged in Latria. It's a pretty somber piece. Invoking a battle well fought. Also, since the volume stays the same throughout, it does nothing to help you locate the singer. That signals to me, they didn't understand the game they were remaking. Remaking a game so loved requires a humble approach. That is not what we got. Hell the Bluepoint lead even has a comment in that interview saying "the game is not as good as you remember, but we're actually making it good this time". No different from the current Bioware employee saying "this is the first Bioware game with fun combat". Just reeks of arrogance, and they've got nothing to back it up.

Boletaria is another point of them either:

A. Not understanding the source material

or

B, Understanding it and being arrogant enough to change it anyways

There is evidence of the latter since Bluepoint includes an optional filter to give a closer color profile to the original. "We made it better". All the overgrowth just betrays the story. This isn't decades or generations after a collapse, it's the middle of one. Also, you cannot interchange a defensive fort for a gothic cathedral. Again. they either didn't play it, or thought they were better equipped to tell the story of Demon's Souls than FromSoft was. In the end all the environmental storytelling that From games are so cherished for actually confuses the story in the Bluepoint version.

Last edited:

rm082e

I bought all three regional versions of the PS3 game and got the Platinum on 2 of them, almost on the third (got burned out after years of grinding). I'm sure I spent over 500 hours with that game.

I thought Demon's Souls remake was great. I've tried to understand the complaining about it, and it just seems like "old man yells at cloud" to me.

I've been under the impression Blue Point had their original project going and also another remake/remaster - is there some evidence that's not the case?

nial

"I'll say something is bad without any argument whatsoever and I want you to try to defend it!"
Please don't keep quoting me. I'm out.

simpatico

Gold Member
"I'll say something is bad without any argument whatsoever and I want you to try to defend it!"
Please don't keep quoting me. I'm out.
It’s two posts above your post here. Please don’t weasel of out defending the changes point by point. You’ll be the first in the history of DS Remake discourse to actually do so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom