• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•15-17•16 - Ghostbusters bows but Pets bow wow, Dory rekts Shrek for DOM record

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No surprised by Ghostbusters, I've seen tweets from people who went to see it and the cinema was empty
40 for the first week is bad, it's only gonna drop now.

Found it
Empty%20theaters%20in%20Ghostbusters%20opening%20week%2C%20attacking%20your%20main%20audience%20with%20vile%20insults%20doesn't%20seem%20to%20be%20a%20good%20marketing%20strategy%20after%20all.
Oh look Boogies Cinema was empty too

Yes. GB is a major franchise and for the first new film in over 20 years to bomb like this with a huge bankable star like McCarthy, you better believe you won't be seeing a sequel anytime soon.

Y8u realize this is the highest grossing opening weekend of McCarthy's careee right.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Here's an idea: let's make an action/comedy/sci-fi movie with all women and give it a 144 million dollar budget...

Bravo to Sony for trying, but that was about the dumbest business move ever...

Y8u realize this is the highest grossing opening weekend of McCarthy's careee right.

Right, which is why this more a case of demographic mismatch (with questionable marketing to boot) than an outright bomb.

You don't hire McCarthy and Wiig as the most recognizable members of an all-female cast and expect to draw young male viewers in droves.

aBarreras

To me, Ghostbusters had a stellar opening weekend - let's see how wow plays out domestically; however, overseas it's not playing too well at all so any chance of a sequel is kaput at this point.

Tarzan keeps delivering, praise jesus.

NYSM2 run overseas is quite impressive $203M + 63.5M domestically, should have no problem reaching it's predecessors gross of $350M

i dont know the rest of the word but the fucking movie gets here on mexico on august 12, so fuck that, i want to watch it now!

I remember once upon a time when Shrek was #3 on the all time US box office list.

I wonder if an animated flick will ever get near that again.

The mismatch between the spectacle/budget of the Ghostbusters climax versus the choreography/what the characters actually did during it/its necessity for the plot was so egregious. Sony, no!

TGO

Right, which is why this more a case of demographic mismatch (with questionable marketing to boot) than an outright bomb.

You don't hire McCarthy and Wiig as the most recognizable members of an all-female cast and expect to draw young male viewers in droves.
Have you seen it?
The film is surprising....I don't wanna say sexist but every male character is dumb and lets not forget
how they defeat the stupid bad guy at the end by shooting him in the nuts
Its definitely a female film.

I hope Sony considers green lighting the Russo Brothers pitch for Ghostbusters now or just leave it be.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Do you genuinely think that the only reason the movie didn't do well was the female cast?

Not the only reason, no, but a large part of it. Men see the most action/comedies and a lot of men don't find women funny. It is admirable that they decided to go all women, but unless you get a runaway hit like Bridesmaids, it is more likely to do middling numbers, which, coupled with a 250mm all-in cost, is a huge blunder.

Do you genuinely think that the only reason the movie didn't do well was the female cast?

Seriously. The cast/sexism topic is fun, but again I doubt it played much part in the box office take.

It's the fact that it's not a sequel to the GB people love, and doesn't have the actors/characters they love. People don't really wanna go see ghosts get busted, they want to see Venkman busting those ghosts. Whether it was Melissa McCarthy or Chris Pine doing that makes little difference, in this case.

Bizazedo

Leslie Jones and McCarthy should've been opposite characters. Anecdotally (I know, I know), friends of mine were fine with the all-female cast, but the parts of the trailer with the yelling Patti turned them off.

Ticks me off, too, because Leslie Jones was awesome in Top Five.

It doesn't matter if that's what she's like in real life, btw. Cutting off that argument now.

Sulik2

With its budget and no China GB needed probably what 70 - 80 million to do enough domestic to make money?

Dory still making bank despite pets cutting into its legs.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
While TMNT 2 is an upgrade over it's predecessor, it was always going to be a hard sell to all those people who got burned by that godawful first film.

I'm also not sure how much the film appealed to kids. I took my little nephew to the original one and he told me he didn't like the film because the Turtles were too scary. Despite being a fan of the Nickelodeon cartoon, he did not want to go see the new one.

It was better than it's predecessor for sure, though I believe the release date didn't give any breathing room for the film to be successful in the marketplace.

There's less competition in August and I think I would have fared better as a result, though like you mentioned, it was an uphill battle following the lackluster reception of the first film.

Lothar

Banned
The reviews for Ghostbusters are not too great. Many of the RT reviews marked fresh just say it's ok or give it a 5 out of 10. The consensus at RT says it pales in comparison to the original. I couldn't imagine paying money to see a worst version of a movie I already saw. Maybe I'll check it out if it's on TV one day. Reviewers that I trust and those that seem apart from the controversy like Richard Roeper and Double Toasted ripped it to pieces.

Also every second of the trailer looked like complete garbage.

Not the only reason, no, but a large part of it. Men see the most action/comedies and a lot of men don't find women funny. It is admirable that they decided to go all women, but unless you get a runaway hit like Bridesmaids, it is more likely to do middling numbers, which, coupled with a 250mm all-in cost, is a huge blunder.

Awful marketing (including piss poor marketing deals with shit like Papa John's, BCLC, Progressive, extremely difficult to get ecto cooler, etc) and being out of touch with their audience caused this. Not female Ghostbusters. This movie would have flopped with 4 new male Ghostbusters.

Seriously. The cast/sexism topic is fun, but again I doubt it played much part in the box office take.

It's the fact that it's not a sequel to the GB people love, and doesn't have the actors/characters they love. People don't really wanna go see ghosts get busted, they want to see Venkman busting those ghosts. Whether it was Melissa McCarthy or Chris Pine doing that makes little difference, in this case.

Yep. Ghostbusters movie plans should have died with Harold Ramis. McCarthy and co are fine actors, and I'm sure the movie itself it good, but the actual marketing and ideas behind this were incredibly off target.
Or probaly anyone including the originals

But that doesn't speak ill of McCarthy's career

No one said anything bad about her career, just that the financial expectations for a movie revolving around her were too high.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
How many successful action comedies featuring all or leading women casts have done over 100mm domestic? I would wager fewer than 5, although I haven't action done any research.

You can say the sexism/casg angle os played out, but I think it is definitely valid.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So many Facebook comments to the tune of "Ghostbusters couldnt even beat a 2-week old pets animated movie. Bomb!"

Why are people being so asinine over this film? Even toys and the soundtrack have one-star reviews saying how this new film is ruining the franchise and raping their childhood. I dont recall the much worse recent TMNT films getting this much backlash.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Yes. GB is a major franchise and for the first new film in over 20 years to bomb like this with a huge bankable star like McCarthy, you better believe you won't be seeing a sequel anytime soon.

McCarthy is the main reason I won't be seeing it. I don't find her funny. I wouldn't consider her a bankable star. I haven't liked a movie she has been in since bridesmaids. I think alot of other people feel the same.

vinnygambini

McCarthy is the main reason I won't be seeing it. I don't fine her funny. I wouldn't consider her a bankable star. I haven't liked a movie she has been in since bridesmaids. I think alot of other people feel the same.

Her box-office multiples and domestic successes would suggest otherwise - though I understand if it's not your cup of tea, she's one of the few bankable stars in the US at the moment. SONY can be thankful she starred in the pic as the result would have been much worse without her at the forefront.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Have you seen it?
The film is surprising....I don't wanna say sexist but every male character is dumb and lets not forget
how they defeat the stupid bad guy at the end by shooting him in the nuts
Its definitely a female film.

I hope Sony considers green lighting the Russo Brothers pitch for Ghostbusters now or just leave it be.

Kevin is dumb. That's about it. Saying "Every male character is dumb" is completely false. Is the mayor dumb? How about Ed Mulgrave? Agent Hawkins and Rourke? Officer Stevenson? Rowan North himself? I can name off more characters from the film if you like. Your bias is showing.

Also the "stupid bad guy" was defeated by
the ghost portal being reversed. The "nut shot" (do big burlap sack ghosts has nuts?) was to loosen his grip on the buildings.

Now I'm wondering if you've seen it.

The Beard

Depends on the legs. Anything more than a 30% drop next week will be a pretty terrible blow to it's life span in the theaters. And next week it will have to contend with the already released Pets, Tarzan, Dory, and the new releases Ice Age 5 and Star Trek.

Sony sent that movie out to get killed.

Edit: And a new Bourne movie the week after! Sweet jesus Sony, what were you thinking?

How do you figure? Does anybody give a shit about Ice Age anymore? Wasn't the last Star Trek a flop?

Edit: just looked it up. The last Star Trek wasn't a flop, but it wasn't very successful considering its good reviews and its $190mil budget.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Her box-office multiples and domestic successes would suggest otherwise - though I understand if it's not your cup of tea, she's one of the few bankable stars in the US at the moment.

I guess I just have different taste then. I think the rest of the casting is good, but she ruined it for me.

To me its like Chris Farley. I enjoyed him, but after so many movies, it was just the same thing over again.

vinnygambini

On average, her films make more than Kevin Hart, and nobody doubts his credentials

Yup. I mean, look at Tammy. Terrible, terrible film by all counts, and yet almost a multiple of 4 - that's pretty fantastic.

I guess I just have different taste then. I think the rest of the casting is good, but she ruined it for me.

To me its like Chris Farley. I enjoyed him, but after so many movies, it was just the same thing over again.

I understand.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'd personally like to see Ghostbusters at least one more time while its in theaters.

I made the mistake of paying for IMAX 3D the first time though.

Not that it was bad or anything but now I'm spoiled...and those tickets are goddamn expensive.

Calm Killer

It's not honest of me, if this was the only reason I dont want to see though. I do feel like this was a movie that was not needed. I wanted a true sequel. To me not recognizing the original in the timeline turned me off as well.

I'd personally like to see Ghostbusters at least one more time while its in theaters.

I made the mistake of paying for IMAX 3D the first time though.

Not that it was bad or anything but now I'm spoiled...and those tickets are goddamn expensive.

Well, at the very least, you'll have all the leg room you could ever want.

Harmen

I think the people here saying Ghostbusters budget is way too high are absolutely right. Now it has to be extremely succesful for Sony for the film to even be worthwhile. And in addition to that, starting a cinematic universe before even delivering an popular/great film doesn't seem like a good strategy as well. Even if a film is just solid or even good, chances that it is enough to kickstart something like MCU are slim. Especially in the genre of Ghostbusters.

Still, I think Ghostbusters could've been more succesful than the way it is headed to be honest. The trailers were plain bad to many and the word of mouth over here is not all that hot to be honest. It did fairly well with the critics and on gaf there are quite some people digging it, so I am interested in seeing it one day, but Sony did an extremely poor job at marketing the film in my opinion. And in regards to the whole sexism thing, sure, there is a group of males bashing the film because it has female leads, but in the end I doubt those idiots make up a significant part of it's potential audience. That whole sexism discussion in general didn't do the film any favour I feel. Basically every review I have seen or read starts out with a big chunk debating sexism, including mainstream outlets like the newspapers over here. That is not what you want when marketing a feelgood blockbuster comedy to be honest.

And in regards to it's legs, the other films that are coming the next week(s) make me believe GB won't do well in that regard.

TGO

Kevin is dumb. That's about it. Saying "Every male character is dumb" is completely false. Is the mayor dumb? How about Ed Mulgrave? Agent Hawkins and Rourke? Officer Stevenson? Rowan North himself? I can name off more characters from the film if you like. Your bias is showing.

Also the "stupid bad guy" was defeated by
the ghost portal being reversed. The "nut shot" (do big burlap sack ghosts has nuts?) was to loosen his grip on the buildings.

Now I'm wondering if you've seen it.
You forgot the delivery guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom