• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•15-17•16 - Ghostbusters bows but Pets bow wow, Dory rekts Shrek for DOM record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Ghostbusters is a certified flop. Star Trek Beyond has incredible reviews, a great cast and people really love the rebooted Star Trek movies. Not sure what you mean about Hemsworth returning as he died in the first 10 minutes of the first film though.

Star Trek Beyond is going to bury Ghostbusters next weekend. There's no way it isn't #1, mark my words.
Haven't the new Star Trek movies grossed over 50 million opening weekend? Considering this movie is good (while part two wasn't) and star trek beyond shouldn't have an issue going over 46 million.

Foggy

144 Million LOL Holy Shit

Especially when you consider most blockbusters with this kind of high profile carry around $100 million in advertising and promotional costs. Studios forgot how to make mid-budget films and think the only path to success is high risk high reward films.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Are you backing up NOLA?

Or implying the delivery guy was stupid?
Implying he was a bit dumb ass yeah more comic relief stereotyped, I'm surprised NOLA could name all the characters tbh

To be honest everyone seems a bit stereotyped.

I assume $300-350 million means Sony will trudge forward regardless. They have nothing, as shown by things like the Jump Street/MIB crossover.

EDIT: Yep. From the Wall Street Journal.

The $46 million opening is solid for a comedy, but the movie’s $144 million production budget put Sony in need of a more impressive debut. Mr. Greenstein said he expects the movie to avoid any steep drop-offs in attendance in the weeks to come, repeating the pattern of other movies helmed by “Ghostbusters” director Paul Feig.

The original “Ghostbusters,” starring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd, grossed a massive $229 million when it opened 32 years ago. Adjusted for inflation, it is the 34th highest-grossing movie of all time, according to Box Office Mojo. A sequel followed in 1989, with less impressive results.

Sony will move forward with plans to produce sequels to the rebooted franchise, said Mr. Greenstein. “We’ve restarted a successful brand for us,” he said.

The movie will need strong word-of-mouth and overseas sales to become profitable, and international audiences are less familiar with the franchise. Critics generally liked the movie, and opening-weekend audiences gave it a “B+” grade, according to market-research firm CinemaScore.

Fuzzy on the former bolded. Expected the latter. Likely, the next will be a "safer" 4 quandrant film with a male lead, but 50/50 ensemble cast.

Implying he was a bit dumb ass yeah more comic relief stereotyped, I'm surprised NOLA could name all the characters tbh

To be honest everyone seems a bit stereotyped.

He wasn't dumb he was just someone who didn't give a fuck about his job and knew he wouldn't get fired.

At most a jerk, but definitely not dumb.

ZoddGutts

You're short selling the original. It was a cultural phenomenon, with a hit song, merchandise, and was big with audiences of all ages.

The new movie could have been an event if handled correctly. The budget wasn't the mistake here. They spent that budget poorly

Also remember the cartoon being really popular. Apparently it lasted seven seasons.

I assume $300-350 million means Sony will trudge forward regardless. They have nothing, as shown by things like the Jump Street/MIB crossover.

EDIT: Yep. From the Wall Street Journal.

Fuzzy on the former bolded. Expected the latter. Likely, the next will be a "safer" 4 quandrant film with a male lead, but 50/50 ensemble cast.

Sorry, so you think a sequel won't be the same cast? Or they'll add a male or two?

Also. Does this mean they're moving forward regardless or it still depends in the final numbers?

Wait, that shit is real!? I thought that was a fucking April Fool's joke!

It's real.

The surprise may have been ruined in Sony’s hack fiasco last year, but insiders tell Variety the studio is indeed planning a “23 Jump Street”-“Men in Black” crossover movie.

According to sources, James Bobin, director of “The Muppets” and “Flight of the Conchords,” is in early talks to direct the action comedy. While no official greenlight has been given, Sony is already eyeing a June production start date.

A spokesman for the studio had no comment.

Bobin will be stepping in for Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who directed the first two pics but are unable to direct the crossover due to their commitment to the “Han Solo” pic they’re helming at Disney. Lord and Miller are still on as producers along with Neil Moritz, Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald of Parkes+MacDonald.

Sony Pictures has nothing.

Sausage Party 8/12/16
The Magnificent Seven (2016) 9/23/16
Inferno 10/28/16
Passengers (2016) 12/21/16
The Dark Tower 2/17/17
Baby Driver 3/17/17
Life (2017) 3/24/17
Smurfs: The Lost Village 4/7/17
Barbie 5/12/17
Bad Boys 3 6/2/17
Rock That Body 6/23/17
Uncharted 6/30/17
Spider-Man: Homecoming 7/7/17
Jumanji (2017) 7/28/17
Untitled Sony Event Film (2017) 9/15/17
The Equalizer 2 9/29/17
The Star 11/10/17
Patient Zero 2017
Animated Spider-Man 12/21/18
Bad Boys 4 7/3/19

Noooooooothing.

Sorry, so you think a sequel won't be the same cast? Or they'll add a male or two?

Also. Does this mean they're moving forward regardless or it still depends in the final numbers?

They already have a script for a second film that's a spin-off. Another team, same universe.

"I've finished my work on that in the last couple weeks," he said. "Obviously it's top secret, but there's a gigantic bold idea that I came up with, and the Russo brothers -- who did 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' and are doing 'Civil War' at the moment -- and Ivan Reitman, who did the original movie, are going to take that and run with it. Obviously I cannot tell you what it is, but hopefully in one year's time you'll know!"

Even better, he wasn't even a tiny bit coy about the dream cast for the film. Who ya gonna call? Might it, in fact, be Chris Pratt and Channing Tatum as rumored?

"That's definitely the cast we've been thinking about as we approach the project," Pearce confirmed, but added, "Whether that happens or not is very much above my pay grade. It's just my job to give them something exciting that maybe they'll do."

That was coming from the Russo Brothers at one point, but Marvel has them. That project was previously rumored to be all-male, but the scriptwriter later said it was a balanced male/female team.

Pendas

Banned
I wish more people understood that there is no direct correlation to the quality of a trailer to the quality of a movie.

I think movie studios need to understand that that people correlate the quality of a trailer to the quality of the movie... and work around that.

It's been this way for years now. There's no excuse for releasing a bad trailer.

Sausage Party 8/12/16
Inferno 10/28/16
The Dark Tower 2/17/17
Baby Driver 3/17/17
Life (2017) 3/24/17
Smurfs: The Lost Village 4/7/17
Barbie 5/12/17
Bad Boys 3 6/2/17
Rock That Body 6/23/17
Uncharted 6/30/17
Spider-Man: Homecoming 7/7/17
Jumanji (2017) 7/28/17
Untitled Sony Event Film (2017) 9/15/17
The Equalizer 2 9/29/17
The Star 11/10/17
Patient Zero 2017
Animated Spider-Man 12/21/18
Bad Boys 4 7/3/19

Woah woah woah.. slow your roll. There's an Edgar Wright movie in there.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Mythical new audience didn't turn up in droves huh? Who knew.

Bizazedo

Just remember, Fantastic Four was also set to have a sequel :). Studio swore by it.

That being said, MHWilliams is right, Sony's got nothing.

The Beard

Especially when you consider most blockbusters with this kind of high profile carry around $100 million in advertising and promotional costs. Studios forgot how to make mid-budget films and think the only path to success is high risk high reward films.

More like, Sony forgot how to. We just had 'The Shallows', 'Central Intelligence', 'The Purge: Election Year', and 'The Conjuring 2'.

Sony is just terrible at budgeting.

Visceir

Wonder if it'll be a Spiderman situation where we'll just get another reboot in a couple of years or will they bury the ghostbusters franchise again for a while.

Toothless

Depends on the legs. Anything more than a 30% drop next week will be a pretty terrible blow to it's life span in the theaters. And next week it will have to contend with the already released Pets, Tarzan, Dory, and the new releases Ice Age 5 and Star Trek.

That's insane. No movie in general has a 30% second weekend drop. Sub-50% will be fine for it, and I imagine it getting that with just Star Trek as direct competition. Heck, Star Trek's buzz feels pretty low so even that won't hurt it that much. I'd be very surprised if it's not at least #3 next week at the box office (Star Trek plus a possible horror breakout in Lights Out).

Ghostbusters gonna finish behind Conjuring 2, Central Intelligence, and Legend of Tarzan.

Sony does not budget blockbusters well.

Also insane. The movie has pretty good word-of-mouth among the GA; the only people I've heard really not liking it are people who aren't a fan of Feig's other films. Most of his movies get 3.5x multipliers, and even with the brand awareness, giving it Ant-Man's multiplier (similar comedy/action mix) would have it end with 145M DOM. Beating Conjuring 2 is locked and the other two also have potential of being beaten.

People don't want it to be real? It sounds amazing.

I suggested this in another thread, but imagine a Lord/Miller directed Jump Street x MiB x Ghostbusters movie

It would be a total mess, but an incredible one

I don't understand why a comedy needs much of a budget at all.

Comedies don't, action comedies...kinda do. I mean in the case of this film you have to pay McCarthy/Feig/Wiig who I'm sure all got good paycheques, and the nature of the film requires some decent FX budget because you have to sell the ghosts and the busting.

Imagine if, on top of all the problems the film faced, it had a no name cast and a cheaper look.

Toothless

Here's something also, guys. If Ghostbusters follows Pixels, a much worse received film by audiences and critics, it will end up with 150M. That should be considered the low-end seeing the general positive feelings towards Ghostbusters and typical Feig-McCarthy comedies.

So the new Ghostbusters is a flop???=O

In the US, the jury is out, but it's not a great start considering the budget. If it drops more than a third next week, Sony aren't going to be making money on it any time soon.

Internationally, between the China ban and the anemic returns from the UK and Australia, it looks like it's going to be a fairly major miss for Sony. $300 mil worldwide I'm fairly confident won't happen.

Just more proof Sony doesn't know how to produce films that make money.
Stone cold.

Aw man :(

Have they talked about any plans to do another film with the the 2016 team?
Depends on the final numbers for this one I'd guess.

I don't understand why a comedy needs much of a budget at all.
Special effects.

Sony made this like a scifi blockbuster instead of a comedy. 22 Jump Street's budget was $50 million for example. That's a comedy budget. Central Intelligence, $50 million. Hot Tub Time Machine 2, $14 million. Spy, $65 million.

The Other Guys is another odd Sony Comedy, coming in at $100 million budget. $35 million OP.

Here's something also, guys. If Ghostbusters follows Pixels, a much worse received film by audiences and critics, it will end up with 150M. That should be considered the low-end seeing the general positive feelings towards Ghostbusters and typical Feig-McCarthy comedies.

Pixels opening was $24 million. With $244 million worldwide ($15 million from China). If GB hits that trend, things are better.

Toothless

It's real.

Jumanji (2017) 7/28/17

Could see these three being pretty big deals. Passengers should move though; there's rumors about the special effects not working out/legal issues and the farther away from Rogue One the better. I could see it being huge on Valentine's Day weekend (along with them pushing Dark Tower back a bit too).

More like, Sony forgot how to. We just had 'The Shallows', 'Central Intelligence', 'The Purge: Election Year', and 'The Conjuring 2'.

Sony is just terrible at budgeting.

Sony made The Shallows lol.

GB just needs to have legs and hang in there at #2 - #4 spot against Star Trek and Jason Bourne.

Chances are slim to none. As next week we got a Major Franchise of Star Trek which all the Nerds will flock to. We got Ice Age another movie for the Kids to see which will take a bite out of Pets. The Following Week new Jason Bourne movie. Then Suicide Squad.

The people who would of wanted to see it probably would of seen it by then. It would of had good legs had they released it more earlier in the spring. Releasing it in middle of the Summer was a mistake for a film like this. This isnt going to have Legs like Spy and I think Spy overall was a much more better movie which I really enjoyed.

Sapiens

McCarthy is the main reason I won't be seeing it. I don't find her funny. I wouldn't consider her a bankable star. I haven't liked a movie she has been in since bridesmaids. I think alot of other people feel the same.

I don't like her either, but if it wasn't for her, I doubt the movie would have even passed 40mil. She's bank. She's the smartest decision the producers made about GB.

Holy shit. 4 weeks in and ID: Resurgence hasn't even topped $100 million domestic? I thought that movie would at least limp to around $130 million or so in the states. It's looking like I am going to be a bit off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom