• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•15-17•16 - Ghostbusters bows but Pets bow wow, Dory rekts Shrek for DOM record

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad thing is that the writing and directing of GB is so much better than the shit that the budget went towards. They could have done with less and probably did as well revenue wise (if not better).

The sad thing is that the writing and directing of GB is so much better than the shit that the budget went towards. They could have done with less and probably did as well revenue wise (if not better).

Exactly. Look at what Deadpool did with 58 Million for a budget. I think GB could of been done with 75 Million.

jstripes

Banned
lol not alienating =/= pandering. Calling people who were not thrilled with the trailer misogynists is a fast way to kill any interest I had in it. I'm not even a hardcore GB nerd; it was a fun movie of my childhood and on the same level as stuff like Beatlejuice and Back to the Future, better than Honey I Shrunk the Kids, and far behind the stuff I truly cared about like Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Terminator, Aliens and Ninja Turtles. The reboot GB trailer looked meh, and being told that I have to go see it or I'm supporting sexism is manipulative as hell.
The misogyny came, in droves, before they started calling people misogynists.

As I said, the "core audience" chose to be alienated. Casting women shouldn't be a problem, but with the paper-thin skin of the "fans", it sure ended up being a problem.

And I think Sony budgeted for this movie like they were making Avengers/Iron Man when the original Ghostbusters was an Animal House or Blues Brothers level thing.
Keep in mind that while Iron Man and the Avengers are hot property now, there was a reason Marvel still had the movie rights to them. Before the MCU, all those characters were B-listers that no one outside of die-hard Marvel fans had cared about for decades. Good movie-making and superb casting is why they are where they're at now.

rhino4evr

Sorry, but that's a huge failure for ghostbusters. With the pent up demand for this franchise, there is no reason this shouldn't have gotten in the mid 70s easily. The terrible marketing for this film, followed by the general backlash to an "all female" ghostbusters cast has done this one in. It's sad, because I think it looks decent, but will probably wait for video.

Sorry, but that's a huge failure for ghostbusters. With the pent up demand for this franchise, there is no reason this shouldn't have gotten in the mid 70s easily. The terrible marketing for this film, followed by the general backlash to an "all female" ghostbusters cast has done this one in. It's sad, because I think it looks decent, but will probably wait for video.

The backlash against the cast came WELL before the marketing. Shit, the backlash existed before people knew who was in the film at all - all they knew was "female Ghostbusters."

What is there to spin? It's all laid out clear as day. Unless it has little drop off in the coming weeks, against Star Trek, Bourne, Ice Age etc etc, and also does very well internationally, without China, it's a bomb.
I meant a victory against feminism. Don't you know the back story of this movies production?

Why do people keep bringing up Ice Age

America has given less and less of a shit about that franchise as time goes on, not less

As MH Williams has said a few times, 75m is an insane expectation for a comedy. There's not much evidence to support that number being realistic, unless you think the GB brand carries that much weight, which seems like that's what Sony thought and miscalculated

It's actually kind of weird. There was steady growth from 1 to 3 and then it plummeted for 4.

Believe it or not, it kinda follows the same thing that happened to Pirates of the Caribbean

As the domestic dropoff happens for both, the foreign gross goes higher. Pirates 4 is the 2nd highest grossing Pirates film, same for Ice Age 4

It's fuckin weeeeeiird

Yes. GB is a major franchise and for the first new film in over 20 years to bomb like this with a huge bankable star like McCarthy, you better believe you won't be seeing a sequel anytime soon.
There... there is a quote in the OP saying he exact opposite of this. Ivan Reitman as recently as this past Friday said they have more announcements coming and the Sony rep in the damned OP said they're going to make more. It would have to absolutely crater from here for them to cancel their plans. They started an entire studio because of this. They bought back the rights from Reitman, Aykroyd, and Murray so they wouldn't need their approval to make Ghostbusters movies because of this. They are desperate for franchises. If anything the Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe is off to a shakey start but with all the potential money there is from future films, games, comics, TV shows, etc you can bet your ass they're not gonna stop. If the movie had actually bombed, Sony was going to bury the IP until the 50th anniversary. Thank fuck that clearly didn't happen.

Prompto

Banned
Believe it or not, it kinda follows the same thing that happened to Pirates of the Caribbean

As the domestic dropoff happens for both, the foreign gross goes higher. Pirates 4 is the 2nd highest grossing Pirates film, same for Ice Age 4

It's fuckin weeeeeiird
Same with Transformers 4 right?

Kusagari

The plans for Ghostbusters should still be fine. They just have to not be stupid with the budget. Zero reason the movies should cost over 100m.

The plans for Ghostbusters should still be fine. They just have to not be stupid with the budget. Zero reason the movies should cost over 100m.
What's likely going to happen is that they will now put out a smaller budgeted, more.. *sigh* "traditional" Ghostbusters movie, people will say "now THIS is how they should have done it!" and they will regain their footing and go from there. Answer the Call set everything up, now they can do a bunch of spinoffs to bring everyone else on board before doing another direct sequel with the new main cast.

Sony put a LOT into rebooting Ghostbusters. This movie was an investment towards the future of the brand for them, which is why it was sitting in such a precarious make-or-break position for the franchise. Clearly with Reitman as well as the rep in the OP saying they're still gonna make more, it did not break.

Busty

Banned
They are desperate for franchises. If anything the Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe is off to a shakey start but with all the potential money there is from future films, games, comics, TV shows, etc you can bet your ass they're not gonna stop. If the movie had actually bombed, Sony was going to bury the IP until the 50th anniversary. Thank fuck that clearly didn't happen.

What potential money? The merchandise has been selling poorly (as evidenced by the reductions we've seen in Youtube videos etc) and now this film, which was heavily marketed, has opened to solid numbers.

I do not see where all this potential for a Ghostbusters cinematic universe is coming from. The very suggestion that this has the depth and breadth of source material like a DC or Marvel is laughable.

Kite

As I said, the "core audience" chose to be alienated. Casting women shouldn't be a problem, but with the paper-thin skin of the "fans", it sure ended up being a problem.
I'd say learn how to not get into petty internet fights and focus on making a great movie. Some superfan is mad online over an adaptation/remake/reboot.. news at 11? I'm sure the studios behind TFA, LotR, Game of Thrones laughed all the way to the bank and shut up the haters.

But to double-down and go with sexists hate the movie and not cus the trailer is shit. I'm not buying a ticket on principle. I would have given GB the Crystal Skull treatment.. I know it's probably gonna be Meh but I'll watch it cus its IJ. Why get into pointless internet fights when you can just vote with your wallet?

What potential money? The merchandise has been selling poorly (as evidenced by the reductions we've seen in Youtube videos etc) and now this film, which was heavily marketed, has opened to solid numbers.

I do not see where all this potential for a Ghostbusters cinematic universe is coming from. The very suggestion that this has the depth and breadth of source material like a DC or Marvel is laughable.

I've already addressed this in another thread in response to you but you either didn't see it, ignored it, or forgot about it. There's a ton of potential for a GCU. I don't really feel the need to explain that again so I'll just quote myself:

I keep seeing people say this as if 7 seasons of a cartoon, plus 36 episodes of a revival cartoon, plus a video game intended to be a third movie, plus dozens of comic books don't exist. There is a fucking shitload of stuff they can do with the Ghostbusters universe in more movies. The thing that I feel GB16 does BETTER than the original, is actually set up that world to explore.
We can explore why some ghosts are human and some are creatures. We can explore ghosts VS demons VS demigods VS gods. We can explore more tech stuff on how to wrangle/bust/destroy/contain ghosts - they don't even have a working containment unit until the movie is actually over. We've now actually seen and been inside the portal between our world and the spirit world. They've set up Zuul and the possible coming of Gozer. They did the fucking spirit lines thing that I've never even heard of before but opens all kinds of awesome possibilities. The government is actually involved this time and acknowledges that supernatural and paranormal happenings are indeed real and just covered up. They could do aliens, which was a plot idea for GB3 at one point. They can have multiple Ghostbusters headquarters set up around the world, bringing in new types of ghosts from all the different regions, going into why they're different in different cultures.
The possibilities are almost limitless and we finally have the tech to actually do it and we've shed the anchor that was Bill Murray's reluctance to ever do a sequel so we can finally have the multi-film franchise Dan Aykroyd always wanted. Were you aware that he wanted to do more than just GB3, and had plans for a 4, 5, and 6 as well? Some of the stuff he wanted to do in the first movie was literally impossible at the time so they had to change the entire concept of the movie to suit a reasonable budget, but now those restrictions don't apply. They have two movies, 7 seasons of a TV show (8 if we count EGB), a video game, superb comics, and dozens upon dozens of unused ideas for unmade sequels that they can draw inspiration from for further entries, not to mention that Aykroyd himself and Reitman as well are now in charge of an entire studio set up with the sole purpose of making new Ghostbusters films.

As far as potential merch, yeah, really? Action figures of women aren't selling to kids, specifically young boys, the target demographic of action figures and most toy releases? Who's surprised there. They're gonna shit out a lower budget "traditional" Ghostbusters movie with either just men or a mix of men and women and it's gonna get things back on track. The classic GB stuff has been selling just fine since they started throwing it out there for the 30th anniversary. I sincerely doubt there's some executive somewhere pulling his hair out going "Why isn't this merchandise of these women Ghostbusters selling!?! Fuck!??!"

KingV

It doesn't change that the PR campaign for this movie was terrible.

1) Bad trailers
2) dragging the director and one of the stars out on national tv to call the people that don't like the trailers sexists living in their moms basement was a dumb move. There were a lot of people that thought the trailers looked dumb, and the movie didn't look funny, but didn't care one way or another that the GBs were women (other than they would have preferred a direct sequel, even if starring a new team).

They eventually realized this and tried to circle back and have Feig and and Ivan Reitman go and walk back/clarify their positions but the damage was already done.

It's like if JJ Abrams came out in October talking about how all Star Wars fans were a bunch of losers. I'm sure there were people out there talking about how awful it is that there's no white guy in the lead roles of Star Wars: TFA, but the pre-release PR just stayed on topic about how it continued the story from the OT and played up its connections to the original films.

Sony should have take a cue from that, acknowledged that fans were worried, and played up the similarities between the films and said something like "Would have loved to do a direct sequel, but Harold passed on, and the other guys are too old to be running around with 60lb proton packs.... But this movie stays true to the spirit of the original and there's a lot here for fans of that movie!"

As soon as seeing or not seeing the movie became more about taking part in the culture war than watching and enjoying a Ghostbusters movie, the damage was done. Those dudes spending $800 to build a proton pack for conventions are the guys that will see this movie 5x, buy a bunch of merchandise, and encourage friends and family to see it. Offending them may have felt good, but had to have hurt the financial performance of the movie.

And I say that as someone who really enjoyed it, and thought the trailers really didn't do the movie justice.

IMO, they should have cut the first trailer in the style of the 1984 trailer, and built up the connections with the original movie much earlier. Hopefully it does well enough that they will continue to make Ghostbusters movies, because it was honestly a pretty good movie.

I'd say learn how to not get into petty internet fights and focus on making a great movie. Some superfan is mad online over an adaptation/remake/reboot.. news at 11? I'm sure the studios behind TFA, LotR, Game of Thrones laughed all the way to the bank and shut up the haters.

But to double-down and go with sexists hate the movie and not cus the trailer is shit. I'm not buying a ticket on principle. I would have given GB the Crystal Skull treatment.. I know it's probably gonna be Meh but I'll watch it cus its IJ. Why get into pointless internet fights when you can just vote with your wallet?

Feig's comments were in reply to people harassing and threatening his cast

People are incredibly attached to the Murray/Ramis/Akroyd/Hudson team and their characters, there's not enough investment in the property itself to propel it to huge numbers without those guys.

I'd argue that even that wouldn't be some Jurassic World revival. Ghostbusters is honestly not that loved. It's not a franchise with a lot of people who hate it, but a ton of folks who just don't care. Murray's best time to leverage a movie like this was when Zombieland reminded people that he wasn't dead.

Busty

Banned
I've already addressed this in another thread in response to you but you either didn't see it, ignored it, or forgot about it. There's a ton of potential for a GCU. I don't really feel the need to explain that again.

There will never be such a thing as the "GCU". There might be a couple of sequels to Feig's film or they might double down on that animated film but there will never be a Ghostbusters universe mirroring what Marvel has done.

As far as potential merch, yeah, really? Action figures of women aren't selling to kids, specifically young boys, the target demographic of action figures and most toy releases? Who's surprised there. They're gonna shit out a lower budget "traditional" Ghostbusters movie with either just men or a mix of men and women and it's gonna get things back on track.

When you say 'traditional' Ghostbusters film you mean a comedy with supernatural/horror elements like the first film?

Isn't that what Paul Feig just did?

IMO, they should have cut the first trailer in the style of the 1984 trailer, and built up the connections with the original movie much earlier. Hopefully it does well enough that they will continue to make Ghostbusters movies, because it was honestly a pretty good movie.

The danger of doing that (and something they didn't exactly avoid in the first place with how poorly the first trailer was made) is that the masses would then think it was a sequel when it isn't. I know you and I aren't the mindless grapes who would get confused by that because we're on forums discussing this shit to death, but putting out a trailer showing all the connections to the original movie would have muddied the message that it's a brand reboot. I mean look at the confusion the first trailer caused even here of GAF, with our fingers right there on the pulse. Other lesser informed people were confused as hell.

I mean fuck in the spoiler thread someone saw the movie and still somehow thought it was a sequel.

Honestly fuck making a universe out of it

Just let Feig cook, I liked that movie and the problems I had with it mostly stem from Sony trying to ram dumb shit into it like that 'epic' 3rd act

KingV

There will never be such a thing as the "GCU". There might be a couple of sequels to Feig's film or they might double down on that animated film but there will never be a Ghostbusters universe mirroring what Marvel has done.

When you say 'traditional' Ghostbusters film you mean a comedy with supernatural/horror elements like the first film?

I think he means with dudes.

Frankly, I think the movie can get away with a lower budget. The big action set pieces were ok, but didn't add that much to it. Ghostbusters sort of works better with more grounded action. In the original most of the "action" is four dudes standing around holding wands with lights on them while a strobe and a fan are pointed at them off-screen. Then there are some practical effects with stuff catching on fire and blowing up. Later someone drew in some lasers. In a way, that works better than choreography and rolls and throwing ghosts around because it's more grounded.

Busty

Banned
I do seriously think the Internet overrates the hell out of how many people really care about Ghostbusters.

I have always thought that Ghostbusters fandom was the ultimate 'fan boy echo chamber' just like the Scott Pilgrim cheering section except writ large owing to the amount of vitrol certain sections of it spewed forth when this film was announced.

Squeaky wheels and all that.

he means "with men"

I think he means with dudes.

Ahhh.

I actually agree with you 100% that they will never get where Marvel is, but I'm just using Sony's wording by calling it the GCU. What you're saying is exactly what will happen, which historically is just called a movie franchise. James Bond isn't a cinematic universe despite having like 40 movies, Ghostbusters won't be either, but that's just the new hot thing to call "several movies that take place within the same franchise that cross over with one another".

As for your second point no, sadly I mean a movie with men as the main characters or at least a mix of men and women. I don't like that that makes it "traditional" but I can almost guarantee you that's what it'll be called since having it be four women was such an insanely radical departure that droves of people just could not get past it and enjoy the movie.

To be absolutely clear before this somehow gets taken out of context, I love the reboot, I love the women cast, I think it does certain aspects of the Ghostbusters idea better than even the original. I do not agree with the thought that making another movie with men is making a "traditional" Ghostbusters movie and it makes me sad to even have to say something like that but I can already see the news articles calling any movie they put out with men Ghostbusters in it "more traditional" and that fucking sucks. I mean they were already doing it when the rumored Channing Tatum sequel made headlines. It's fucking stupid. That's why I put it in quotes.

KingV

I have always thought that Ghostbusters fandom was the ultimate 'fan boy echo chamber' just like the Scott Pilgrim cheering section except writ large owing to the amount of vitrol certain sections of it spewed forth when this film was announced.

Squeaky wheels and all that.

Ahhh.

In a world where remaking Robocop and Total Recall seems like a good idea, remaking Ghostbusters seems like a great one.

GB is not Marvel, DC, or Star Wars but it's probably the best of the until-recently dormant 80s franchises.

There... there is a quote in the OP saying he exact opposite of this. Ivan Reitman as recently as this past Friday said they have more announcements coming and the Sony rep in the damned OP said they're going to make more. It would have to absolutely crater from here for them to cancel their plans. They started an entire studio because of this. They bought back the rights from Reitman, Aykroyd, and Murray so they wouldn't need their approval to make Ghostbusters movies because of this. They are desperate for franchises. If anything the Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe is off to a shakey start but with all the potential money there is from future films, games, comics, TV shows, etc you can bet your ass they're not gonna stop. If the movie had actually bombed, Sony was going to bury the IP until the 50th anniversary. Thank fuck that clearly didn't happen.

On a scale of Sinister Six to Venom, how likely do you think a GB sequel with the same cast happens (or a cinematic universe spin-off) if it makes <$300 million WW? It will be rebooted again or have the budget drastically cut.

JABEE

Wonder if it'll be a Spiderman situation where we'll just get another reboot in a couple of years or will they bury the ghostbusters franchise again for a while.

Give Disney the Ghostbusters license and add the original crew to the Avengers.

There ain't gonna be no games if Activision continues to not give a fuck about the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom