• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOMB BOMB! The PSP *WILL* be region locked!

border said:
You would buy the game in your country of origin, just like you would if you owned a portable DVD player. Though the more important question would be "Are you that big of a dork that you are going to waste your time in a foreign country playing videogames?" =P

Travelling to Europe is kind of a moot point since you might fry the battery and the PSP itself when you plug it in for a recharge (I wouldn't trust those current convertors with expensive electronics)....

Most pathetic excuse i've read in a while..........

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The somewhat muted response is funny considering the outrage on this board when Nintendo stopped UK retailers from selling illegal Pokémon imports.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I think it's mostly a principle thing though. If one really, REALLY wants to be able to play games from other regions, there will surely be ways around the region lock as I've said before. So it's not the end of the world. Thus, I don't see much of a problem in PRACTICE.

And well, if you are not satisfied with the product, don't buy it. Buy NDS or GBA SP instead. That's what makes competition such a nice thing. ;)

Tellaerin

cybamerc said:
The somewhat muted response is funny considering the outrage on this board when Nintendo stopped UK retailers from selling illegal Pokémon imports.

That's because there aren't any PSP owners desperate to get their hands on a major game that's due to release late (or not at all) in their particular territory yet. Right now, with the system not even on shelves, let alone the games, the region lockout is still a somewhat abstract issue in most peoples' minds.

I can always act outraged and start spouting nonsense about how this spells the end of the PSP, if that would make you feel better. Does that help? :)

ourumov

The "hardcore gamer" doesn't give a fuck about translations and just wants to play the game at the moment they are released and not 1/2 years later.
Regional lock will be a problem for us...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Is it going to be mandatory ? ;).

Also, who do you think called very strongly for it ? (let's see how good your guesses are).

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I really don't care if it is region locked so long as Capcom & SNK are allowed to release their 2D fighters here. I know Sony is strict with 2D on the PS2 but hopefully they will ease up with the PSP. Afterall, those 2D games will still be pushing boundaries for handhelds and providing an experience that you can't get on the SP or DS.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Border: I think they might have a charger that will work in Japan, Europe and the U.S.: don't they have in Japan alone different frequencies for electricity (50 Hz and 60 Hz) ?

My laptop charger works everywhere in the world with the proper adaptor plug and I think PSP will use a similar charger.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd expect a worldwide charger. As mentioned before, considering the likely price, it'll be bought by lots of young execs, and they'll need to charge it out of the country.

As for coding, it'll be down to the business model pure and simple. If they go for PS2 models, then as border says, licensing publishing rights would make region coding attractive.

As for people not importing - most VHS players in the UK are NTSC compatible these days purely down to the number of people bringing tapes back from cheap shopping trips to the USA. That doesn't have region coding.

Chittagong

Gold Member
border said:
Travelling to Europe is kind of a moot point since you might fry the battery and the PSP itself when you plug it in for a recharge (I wouldn't trust those current convertors with expensive electronics)....

It's all crystal clear. NOW I understand why Kutaragi said he expects PSP to be played mostly at home:

story.kutaragisonyafp.jpg

"Those damn converters cannot be trusted. I envision PSP to be used mostly at home."

Sp3eD said:
This is such a non issue......

0.5% or less potential buyers are going to have a fuss over this.

Are we the stupid casual gamers here?... no... we are the gamers who will be pissed over this... This is a big deal to me... as it is to a lot of other peolple on this board....

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Pana, about how long do you expect you'll be dropping hints like this before Sony confirms any of it?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Hints ? I am just randomly hitting keys on the keyboard and preparing myself for a huge "what did you say huh?" kind of response... of course...

:)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
kaching said:
Pana, about how long do you expect you'll be dropping hints like this before Sony confirms any of it?

Hints, by definition would only be a snapshot of the moment that might be how the future looks like or not.

The issue is debated, but when it will be resolved is up in the air.

Some want this thing to be there and some do not: there might be a compromise which might IMHO benefit the gamers in a way.

jarrod

Banned
border said:
The number of people importing games in US/Europe is probably so small that annoying them isn't going to make much of a difference.
Actually, there's a pretty healthy GBA import scene in PAL regions (importing American games). It's actually been a bit of a problem for NOE, but really they only have themselves to blame (delayed releases & high prices).

Deg

Banned
importing is common in Europe. The hardware manufacturers and retailers dont like it much however.

jenov4

Europe usually gets shafted in terms of getting the games last of the major territories (there are some exceptions like Silent Hill 3 which game out in Europe first)

Most of my Euro friends import the Japanese or USA models of the consoles to avoid the hassles / burdons of being a Euro gamer.

border

jarrod said:
Actually, there's a pretty healthy GBA import scene in PAL regions (importing American games). It's actually been a bit of a problem for NOE, but really they only have themselves to blame (delayed releases & high prices).
Only vaguely related, but....isn't the European Union on the verge of shutting down all foreign media importing?

Top Bottom