• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3wThr33

Banned
They WERE neutral. But it's hard to stay neutral when one side is constantly outselling the other and you want an end to the HD decision.
(I do expect a small bit of money-hat, but at least this is a logical decision, unlike the Paramount deal)

duk

Banned
nib95 said:
Microsoft's last attempt will be the 360 Ultimate and it's HD-DVD drive, but that won't be enough to save HD-DVD from this fatal blow.

What makes you think MS really cares about HD DVD?

Barry Lightning said:
how will this affect bill gates' rumored hd-dvd/360 combo drive, i wonder? if it turns out to be truly debuting at ces
How does salt affect slugs?

Anyhow, Paramount and Universal are still HD-DVD exclusive. I don't care about Paramount, but I want some of the Universal TV shows; hopefully the tide will start turning enough that they'll both have to turn from their wicked ways.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
:lol
1-4-08-warner_bd.jpg

v0yce

nib95 said:
Microsoft's last attempt will be the 360 Ultimate and it's HD-DVD drive, but that won't be enough to save HD-DVD from this fatal blow.

What does MS have to do with this?

kbear

My goodness.. Deadmeat suiciding or what? No seriously, this is absolutely huge news. From all of the rumors and speculation we've been hearing these past few weeks, it seemed like Warner was going to go HD-DVD exclusive so this comes as a surprise. It really shouldn't be a surprise, though, if you take into account BR's domination in sales -- like 53 weeks in a row now. Seems all those rumors were nothing but FUD from the HD-DVD camp.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So I guess this is like winning NPD month for PS3:lol
*1minute and already past 2pages in*

Anyways, Dam glad this happened. Hopefully the format war will be over soon.

Danielsan

Good stuff. I don't own a PS3 (yet) but I'm sick of this shitty format war. Blu-ray obviously is the better format and it already has been doing better than HD-DVD all around the world. No need to postpone this crap any longer. It's time for HD-DVD to leave the market and it's time for Blu-rays to drop in price. Paying €30 for a highdev movie is ridiculous.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kittonwy said:
Yes!!! Thanks for teh news sonycowboy!!!111!!!
gladtomeetya.gif

Indifferent2.gif

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!111!!! Batman Teh Dark Knight on Bluray ftmfw!!!111!!!
gladtomeetya.gif

eeee yeah

Tieno

Linkzg said:
I held off of buying the DVD because im waiting for the bluray release.

I refuse to buy most DVDs anymore (except old cartoons and Doctor Who)
I bought the 3 theatrical editions and the 3 4disc extended editions as soon as they came out. I'm holding off on watching it again to save myself for a hopefully blu-ray release.

Kittonwy

Banned
SPEA said:

"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Jeebus that's HARSH, if Warner Bros can be more blunt they would have said they wanted HD-DVD to die.
Indifferent2.gif

NolbertoS

I hope MS backs down from there rumoured HD-DVD drive. Bill Gates speech at the CES about the rumoured HD-DVD 360 in the future won't matter to retailers, cuz of the Warner Bros. Megaton Well MS it seems you may have to package Blu-ray players in your system, cuz it seems that the Blu-ray is turning out to be a great gamble of a trump card for the PS3, cuz pretty much the PS3 was advertising itself moreso as a Blu-ray player than an actual "console"

I still don't see the demand for HD DVD's (Bluray) being large enough to have any type of distinguishable affect on PS3's fortunes this generation.

Mrbob

Ghaleon has it right.

Blu Ray disc goes from a hindrance too an incentive.

Good thing Sony is sticking with the 10 year plan. As it may take the PS3 at least a good 3 years to make a foothold and then take off. I see 2008 as the turnaround year, and 2009 as the year when hardware sales really start accelerating worldwide.

xaosslug

so much for those who thought old Billy's 'big CES announcement' would be about Warner... Blu-Ray add-on, perhaps? :lol

Tieno

Kittonwy said:
"Warner Bros.' move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want," said Meyer. "The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers."

Jeebus that's HARSH, if Warner Bros is more blunt they would have said they wanted HD-DVD to die.
Indifferent2.gif
Their reasoning is right on though, one of the format needs win so consumers can win.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Next up for Blu-Ray could be the 3d technology developed by Mitsubishi. They're going to demo it at CES.

Anyway with Blu-Ray winning the format war, this will help PS3 sales.

TheKurgan

The sooner this HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thing is over the better. So what are the big Warner titles that aren't already on HD-DVD? I know 300, the Matrix and Harry Potter are out but what else do they have in the pipe?

Ultimately I want Blu-Ray to win so I can justify my future PS3 purchase to the wife. :lol

Dante

Crap too bad this came in after the taping of 1UpYours /

TheKurgan said:
The sooner this HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thing is over the better. So what are the big Warner titles that aren't already on HD-DVD? I know 300, the Matrix and Harry Potter are out but what else do they have in the pipe?

Ultimately I want Blu-Ray to win so I can justify my future PS3 purchase to the wife. :lol

Only the biggest film of the year. Dark Knight

Kittonwy said:

Jeebus that's HARSH, if Warner Bros can be more blunt they would have said they wanted HD-DVD to die.
Indifferent2.gif
If Warner Bros can be more blunt they would have said they're scared because both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are performing like shit.

I'm glad I only bought an add-on drive. I only have like 8 HD-DVDs so no big deal. I guess I'll just buy BR titles only if they are released on both formats. I'll still buy the few must have HD-DVDs that don't get released on Blu or the imports that have a better transfer. Damn I hate region coding.

In the end this will be the doom of HD-DVD.

M3wThr33 said:
They WERE neutral. But it's hard to stay neutral when one side is constantly outselling the other and you want an end to the HD decision.
(I do expect a small bit of money-hat, but at least this is a logical decision, unlike the Paramount deal)

The money hat appears to have been gigantic, actually. There was a bidding war behind closed doors.

ZeoVGM

Banned
suikodan said:
It's good to be on the winning team. XD

There's no winning team.

As I've said before, there's not going to be any big winner here. Blu-ray won against HD-DVD, but I highly doubt it's going to take over for DVD.

And this really won't do anything for PS3.

At all.

No one is going to say, "Oh shit, Warner movies are on Blu-ray now!? Gotta get me a PS3!"

So.. wrong forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom