• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relaxed Muscle said:
hd-dvd-disc.jpg

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Down on your knees, you'll be left behind
This is the beginning
Watch what you think, they can read your mind
This is the beginning
I got my mark, see it in my eyes
This is the beginning
My reflection I don't recognize
This is the beginning

We think we climb so high
All up the backs we've condemned
We face our consequence
This is the beginning of the end

You wait your turn, you'll be last in line
This is the beginning
Get out the way, 'cause I'm getting mine
This is the beginning
God helps the ones that can help themselves
This is the beginning
May be too late as far as I can tell
This is the beginning

We think we've come so far
On all our lies we depend
We face our consequence
This is the beginning of the end

xaosslug

steve said:
Finally!

Suck it Paramount!

it's really win-win for them. They already got their monieshat from Toshiba, so whenever the contract expires... it's more $$$ or Toshiba am cry.

andycapps

Wow, good news for consumers. Someone needs to post the Finish him picture from Mortal Kombat. Now I'm just waiting for Universal to switch their allegiance. One would think it's only a matter or time or how much money the other side is willing to keep Universal on their side.

Francias Castiglione said:
Universal (meaning NBC/Sci-Fi TV shows as well)

Disappointing because I really want Heroes.
I want Battlestar Galactica. Sad, but I think that by the time the BSG Season 4 DVDs are out, at this rate HD-DVD will be finished by then.

Xisiqomelir

3rd parties in trouble all over the place :lol

This is a break that Sony needed badly. Assuming that prices on BD hardware drop rapidly, this is going to make them the megabucks. Kutaragi should be brought back and have his feet kissed by Stringer.

As far as gaming goes, they'll need to build an installed base. I always saw them as #2 WW behind Nintendo, but maybe they'll be able to get to #2 in America as well now.

xaosslug

norinrad21 said:
Outside of GAF, i doubt anyone else is going to give up on their DVD players anytime soon..

when stores stop carrying the hardware and the format... they might. :/

Xisiqomelir said:
3rd parties in trouble all over the place :lol

This is a break that Sony needed badly. Assuming that prices on BD hardware drop rapidly, this is going to make them the megabucks. Kutaragi should be brought back and have his feet kissed by Stringer.

As far as gaming goes, they'll need to build an installed base. I always saw them as #2 WW behind Nintendo, but maybe they'll be able to get to #2 in America as well now.

If BD production costs drop rapidly then standalone players will do as well. The PS3 has more than a BD drive in it.

Kirk

Excellent news. Let's get the format war out of the way already. While digital distribution is a good goal to work towards, it's sad to think that Microsoft is jerking everyone around just to set up some kind of market position for themselves.

GreekWolf

NOW is when things finally get interesting.

Universal has no choice but to start pulling out the big guns for release in 2008. Jurassic Park trilogy, Back to the Future trilogy, etc. I'd also expect them to go "balls to the wall" with Microsoft in producing one big-ass moneyhat for Paramount to extend their contract with Toshiba/HD-DVD, and to coax Spielberg to allow his flicks to be part of the package.

That's really the only last, fleeting hope they have to pull this out.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Epic. I already knew this was gonna happen though. Their movies consistently sold better on BR, so it was only a matter of time. Still, I'm purple and proud. And now for a gif that's totally applicable (BR = Chicken). :lol

karatechicken.gif

Xisiqomelir

The Innocent X said:
Oh good, region coding and extra DRM

The DRM is bad, but BD region codes aren't insanely numerous like DVD.

Region 1 with blockbusters and loli rape sims is 99.87% of GAF

Region 2 with European arthouse flicks is White Man

Region 3 doesn't matter.

koam said:
Wait, so Blu-Ray will get Batman Begins and NO Transformers? BEST FORMAT EVER.

Exclusivity only lasts for like only a year and a half for Paramount, which is coincidently...dun..dun...DUN...in time for the Transformers 2 release in 2009. So unless there is another hefty incentive from Toshiba again the next time around, Blu-ray all around!

Linkzg said:
I held off of buying the DVD because im waiting for the bluray release.

I refuse to buy most DVDs anymore (except old cartoons and Doctor Who)

The LOTR Trilogy came out on DVD back in 2003 or 2004. I loved those movies. Waiting 4 or 5 years for Blu-Ray versions wasn't an option. I bought each extended version as they were released.

I will buy the Blu-Ray trilogy the second it is released but I read news that the first Blu-Ray LOTR trilogy release will only include the original theatrical version. I'm sure the extended versions will be released at a later date. Bastards!
I'll angerly buy the extended version as well.

pr0cs

Kirk said:
Excellent news. Let's get the format war out of the way already. While digital distribution is a good goal to work towards, it's sad to think that Microsoft is jerking everyone around just to set up some kind of market position for themselves.
On this forum I would have been leaning towards the angst that Sony would use their videogame division to use BD as the trojan horse into a much more profitable market (control of a media format)

Well . . . it is truly the PS3 that has been a boon to Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray provides only a small advantage to the PS3 . . . . actually, Blu-Ray has been a hinderance to the PS3 until recently due to the amount it adds to the cost of a PS3.

However, as HDTV penetration increases and with the reduced PS3 pricing, advantage that the Blu-Ray bestows on the PS3 should increase over time.

It makes sense to keep this thread here since there is already a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD thread on the OT. The gaming side can comment with their trollish manners in this thread, while the real discussion can continue in the official HD thread :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom