• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
And now your back. OMG!!!

You know, You should just send it to online matches...Then everyone can be happy!!! We will have more posts in a day then its got in the last month.:lol

BobLoblaw said:
karatechicken.gif

:lol :lol :lol

dalin80

Banned
deepbrown said:
Harry Potter? HD-DVD say bye bye to the UK.

the UK has pretty much been blu-ray land since the beginning. i would say Europe as a whole is much more sony friendly then the US.

Xisiqomelir said:
The DRM is bad, but BD region codes aren't insanely numerous like DVD.

The reason why they aren't using Region coding now is because the volume is so low that printing one disc for all regions makes sense. Give it a year and ALL releases will be coded. Europe am fucked over again

AAK

At the rate this thread is getting posts, you'd think Team ICO revealed their PS3 game or something. I don't care about this BRD battle. Show me some games!!!

Felix Lighter said:
The LOTR Trilogy came out on DVD back in 2003 or 2004. I loved those movies. Waiting 4 or 5 years for Blu-Ray versions wasn't an option. I bought each extended version as they were released.

I will buy the Blu-Ray trilogy the second it is released but I read news that the first Blu-Ray LOTR trilogy release will only include the original theatrical version. I'm sure the extended versions will be released at a later date. Bastards!
I'll angerly buy the extended version as well.

I didnt see the entire LOTR trilogy until like 2005 or 6, so it wasnt nearly as hard for me.

but hell, if they release the Indy trilogy or the Star Wars OT on bluray, ill pick them up right away.

M3d10n

norinrad21 said:
Outside of GAF, i doubt anyone else is going to give up on their DVD players anytime soon..

Specially when they don't look any different when connected with the "usual" cables mom and pop love to use.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
GreekWolf said:
NOW is when things finally get interesting.

Universal has no choice but to start pulling out the big guns for release in 2008. Jurassic Park trilogy, Back to the Future trilogy, etc. I'd also expect them to go "balls to the wall" with Microsoft in producing one big-ass moneyhat for Paramount to extend their contract with Toshiba/HD-DVD, and to coax Spielberg to allow his flicks to be part of the package.

That's really the only last, fleeting hope they have to pull this out.

no, this is when things cease to be interesting, as far as the format war goes. for toshiba to keep 'incentivizing' universal and paramount would be throwing good money after bad -- those payouts only made sense when there was a prospect of winning out and recouping. and for universal and paramount to rush their biggest properties onto a dying format would be ridiculous.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
duk said:
What makes you think MS really cares about HD DVD?
according to micheal mann microsoft just wants to create confusion until the time for digital distribution is right. basically, theyre being pricks.

BobLoblaw said:
Epic. I already knew this was gonna happen though. Their movies consistently sold better on BR, so it was only a matter of time. Still, I'm purple and proud. And now for a gif that's totally applicable (BR = Chicken). :lol

karatechicken.gif

:lol :lol :lol

That pic fits so perfectly :lol , HD-DVD taunts with the Paramount buyout and then Bluray goes for the kill with Warner.

Someone needs to Photoshop it.

squicken said:
Looks like one of the mods was Blu and moved it back over to gaming

well, it kind of relates to gaming in a way.

this is a huuuuuuuuuuuuge step to bluray becoming the next standard format for not only movies, but also the near future of gaming.

-COOLIO- said:
according to micheal mann microsoft just wants to create confusion until the time for digital distribution is right. basically, theyre being pricks.

wow, Michael Bay just blushed for being mistaken for Michael Mann.

Epic news for the PS3. People will buy with the logic of, "It plays Blu-Ray movies and as a bonus it plays high def games!" or vice versa. 2008 is already better than all of the good news in 2007 put together.

Chiggs

Gold Member
For those of you that want to know how this story first originated, it appeared as a post on AVS, without a link to back it up. Some of you probably don't care, but there is a lot of beauty in that.

:lol

FrankT

Boon? Not anytime soon.

2007 was supposed to be the year for the PS3. Didn't happen.

2008 is supposed to be the year for the PS3. Not going to happen.

2009 will be the year for the PS3. Might happen.

itxaka

Defeatist
HotByCold said:
Can they really ban each other?

you. avatar. source. NOW.

Also, it´s shit for people with HDDVD players but this stupid war format has to finish, and better sooner than latter (Hey, and it gives me a nice excuse to my girlfriend to buy a ps3 so what the hell)

GhaleonEB

This thread is stalking me. It starts here, follows me to the OT, and now follows me back to the gaming forum.

Creepy. I hope it doesn't follow me home, I don't want it knowing where I live.

DrXym

If true this is curtains for HD DVD. Seriously. Warner represents one of the most prodigious studios and without it, HD DVD is going to suffer very badly indeed. I don't think it's going too far to say this is a mortal blow for HD DVD.

Personally I am shocked by this announcement. I was dreading and half expecting the complete opposite to occur. Microsoft has deep pockets and they've made companies change their minds, even going against their own long term interests many times before now. Even so, the suddeness of this announcement before CES is a complete kick in the balls for HD DVD. They may as well fold their tent up right now.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Jtyettis said:
Boon? Not anytime soon.

So matter-of-fact. Care if I bookmark this for future purposes?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dfyb said:
a possible end to the format wars is anything but bad news.

Yup. I think this brings us one step closer to a single format, which is good, but I'm not sure it's much of a boon for the PS3. It would have been at launch, when it was the cheapest and best Blu-ray player on the market, but now, though it's still a quality player, models that will upscale DVDs are available for about the same price.

Better then without, for sure, but nothing earth shattering.

Tieno

GhaleonEB said:
This thread is stalking me. It starts here, follows me to the OT, and now follows me back to the gaming forum.

Creepy. I hope it doesn't follow me home, I don't want it knowing where I live.
Speaking of stalking, it's hard when you keep changing your avatar :(

beerbelly

Banned
It honestly makes me really glad I got a PS3 for Christmas. I still won't buy any movies until the prices go down a bit. I guess I'm used to cheap DVD's ;-) Now that blu-ray has won, I can definately see the PS3 being supported beyond 10 years.

Jtyettis said:
Boon? Not anytime soon.

Keep that shit of this thread please.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
speculawyer said:
Well . . . it is truly the PS3 that has been a boon to Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray provides only a small advantage to the PS3 . . . . actually, Blu-Ray has been a hinderance to the PS3 until recently due to the amount it adds to the cost of a PS3.

However, as HDTV penetration increases and with the reduced PS3 pricing, advantage that the Blu-Ray bestows on the PS3 should increase over time.
Which is basically what they intended for all along. It was always a matter of whether the risk of incorporating the BD drive in the PS3 would pay off. I think they knew full well what they were stepping into and obviously it remains to be seen if it really pays off for them.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Awesome. One needs to win and one needs to die. I've been hoping Blu Ray came out on top ever since the battle started. It seems to be the better technology. It certainly holds more data, that's for sure.

Probably will have to get a PS3 sometime soon to go with my new 52 XBR Bravia that is coming today.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Saving for a PS3 right now. Mostly for a Blu-Ray player.

Alex

Don't care, can barely tell the difference between a good DVD and a Blu Ray on an HD set myself. Certainly not enough so to repurchase discs or drop an extra 10 bucks on new releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom