• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

Im not entirely sure if this works but you guys might as well try, according to some vita redditors, turning on airplane mode on vita helps BL2 performance. Resulting in stabler 30FPS playthrough. I've tried this and I dont really see on mine.

Regarding quips, mine's gotta be when one or two of em say 'I am the one who knocks!' or when they try to quote BB, only to fail midway.

CaptNink

Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with this. My primary concern was the controls -- I tried playing Uncharted and just couldn't get my fat hands to operate the controls correctly, so I gave up pretty quick. I seem to have an easier time with Borderlands for some reason.

My second concern was the graphics -- I figured it would look pretty rough, but it looks great! Sure, the graphics at a distance look a bit muddy, but when you get in close, they look spot on!

Great work by Iron Galaxy!

Korosenai

So I know there is an option in the game to redeem shift codes, but can i also do it online on some shift website and have it sync with my game? Or does it all have to be redeemed through my vita?

CaptNink

So I know there is an option in the game to redeem shift codes, but can i also do it online on some shift website and have it sync with my game? Or does it all have to be redeemed through my vita?

Unfortunately, you can only do it through the Vita.

Slag me if wrong.

BigDug13

In the game. Redeem the code on your PS3 and the key is only available on your PS3. Redeem that same code on your Vita instead and it's on your Vita only. There's no way for them to differentiate which console you're attempting to add your key to by doing it online on your PC so you must do it through whatever platform you wish to redeem the one code on. Each code can only be redeemed once.

best thing to do if you have PS3 keys that you want to use would be to cross-save your character from vita to ps3, open up your character on PS3 which should now indicate that you have whatever amount of golden keys your PS3 account has, spend some keys for gear on PS3, then cross-save your character back from PS3 to Vita.

I recommend that for anyone who's upset that they already redeemed a bunch of golden key codes on PS3. You can still take advantage of those keys for level appropriate gear on your vita character by using cross-save since golden keys are account-wide per platform.

Korosenai

Thanks guys. I dont have a ps3, so ill just have to use my vita. Was just wondering because its pretty time consuming using the vita when i could just copy and paste it using a computer.

BigDug13

Thanks guys. I dont have a ps3, so ill just have to use my vita. Was just wondering because its pretty time consuming using the vita when i could just copy and paste it using a computer.

Yeah, I'd stick to codes for 5 keys each if I were you. Might as well get as much bang for each minute you spend typing as possible. It should be WAY more keys than you'll ever need to spend.

I don't think I've bothered typing in any of the 1 key codes yet and I even avoid most 3 key codes. Just the ones for 5 so that it doesn't seem like such a waste of time.

AwRy108

Level 17 Mechromancer, and still absolutely in love with this game on my Vita. I simply can't get over just how awesome it is to have the entire Borderlands 2 experience on a handheld device; and f*ck the media for not actually reviewing this game for what it is.

Oh, and for what it's worth: I turned the music off right from the start of the campaign, and am enjoying the game much more--I feel like the tracks are mediocre at best, but eventually dull the experience b/c you hear them so much.

I sure hope that we get the remainder of the DLC on the Vita version; but, either way, I'll be playing this sucker for quite some time.

MattyG

Banned
So if I transfer my assassin in to the Vita version, will all my DLC weapons still be there when I transfer him back to PS3? Do they just show up as unknown or something? And what if the last time it saved was in an area from Tiny Tina's dlc? Will it just spawn me in Sanctuary or something?

Ocelott

Got the Vita version yesterday and I can honestly say this game blew my expectations away...I have no idea what these reviews are talking about...Loving it so far

Abdiel

I'm not very far in, but I'm enjoying this more than I expected. No major hang ups or glitches, other than the enemy ai being kinda stupid sometimes, haha.

Hollycat

I'm not very far in, but I'm enjoying this more than I expected. No major hang ups or glitches, other than the enemy ai being kinda stupid sometimes, haha.

Really? I'm actually surprised at how smart the AI is often. The enemies all dodge and weave, roll out of the way when you target them. Marauders follow orders given by nomads.Their use of cover is usually pretty good too.

Maybe alot of what I'm seeing is only in TVHM.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good way to take down gluttonous Thresher in TVHM? His shield heals during the time it takes me to reload, and in TVHM, he has way more health than a boss at his level has buisiness having. I have a Torque pistol that does 4500 base damage, which at the bosses level is more than most blue sniper rifles, and I'm still unable to take him down. At this point, if I don't come up with something, I'm going to have to go grind anarchy.

Also, I've discovered an absolutely horrifying glitch. Past level 40, if Deathtrap has the shield healing and the heat ray attacks, he will every now and then give an enemy a super quick recharging shield instead of setting them on fire. In TVHM, when used on a Constructor or stronger enemy, it makes them nearly invincible without at least 200 anarchy.

ZeroAKA

Also, I've discovered an absolutely horrifying glitch. Past level 40, if Deathtrap has the shield healing and the heat ray attacks, he will every now and then give an enemy a super quick recharging shield instead of setting them on fire. In TVHM, when used on a Constructor or stronger enemy, it makes them nearly invincible without at least 200 anarchy.
That's hilarious
until I get to level 40 myself
. Do you know if it's a new glitch introduced in the Vita port?

Abdiel

Really? I'm actually surprised at how smart the AI is often. The enemies all dodge and weave, roll out of the way when you target them. Marauders follow orders given by nomads.Their use of cover is usually pretty good too.

Maybe alot of what I'm seeing is only in TVHM.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good way to take down gluttonous Thresher in TVHM? His shield heals during the time it takes me to reload, and in TVHM, he has way more health than a boss at his level has buisiness having. I have a Torque pistol that does 4500 base damage, which at the bosses level is more than most blue sniper rifles, and I'm still unable to take him down. At this point, if I don't come up with something, I'm going to have to go grind anarchy.

I was on the glacier and some of the enemies were running around shooting at the sky and then they'd forget I was nearby. Not constantly, but it made me laugh when I figured out what they were shooting at.

AwRy108

The AI's routines seem to be on par with the console versions, but I know what he's referring to: every once in awhile, I'll see a baddie just standing completely still; and, sometimes, they don't move even when you shoot them. Happens very infrequently, but, still, I have seen it.

HT UK

How big is the retail game with any patches / DLC installed? Wanna make sure I've got enough space on my memory card.

got back to sanctuary, flooded with missions. i remember this now. me and my friend are almost at the same spot, and i don't want to get too far ahead... gonna call it a night.

i don't know how any reviewer could play flick's arena missions and not see that this port is beasting. i was getting bombarded in there, 2 players, and everything was smooth as silk.

MAX PAYMENT

Can someone explain how you unlock the dlc characters? I've downloaded and installed them, but still only the base characters are selectable. Can anyone help out?

Pics_nao

These crashes are really starting to get to me now. Had a crash right before the end of the Wildlife Preservation and had to run all the way back after I booted the game up again. The crashes didn't bother me too much before but now I'm at my end.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Canceled my pre order due to not being able to put nothing on the back touch, but then was gifted it from a friend who wanted to play co-op.

95% of the game is still good, but whenever I try to play without the grips on I'm constantly bumping crouch/weapon select on the back and it's fucking maddening. Ugh what a horrible decision to force controls back there.

I wish I could just disable the back touch on my vita permanently.

wilflare

Canceled my pre order due to not being able to put nothing on the back touch, but then was gifted it from a friend who wanted to play co-op.

95% of the game is still good, but whenever I try to play without the grips on I'm constantly bumping crouch/weapon select on the back and it's fucking maddening. Ugh what a horrible decision to force controls back there.

it would be great if they just kept it to the four corners of the front touchscreen.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't released an official grip that allows buttons on the rear touch. that would help with RemotePlay too.

LuchaShaq

Banned
it would be great if they just kept it to the four corners of the front touchscreen.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't released an official grip that allows buttons on the rear touch. that would help with RemotePlay too.

Whenever I play a psp/ps1 game I make it the four corners of the touch screen.

It's not ideal but it's workable.

I've yet to see anything about the backtouch that isn't complete garbage in any game.

I'd gladly pay for a grip that maybe directly plug into that weird extra port on the vita that adds a couple of buttons and disables back touch.

After a week with BL2, I think I aint buying Borderlands the Pre-sequel on anything other than a vita. Btw, does anyone have any inclination whether this game has been selling well?

ascii42

After a week with BL2, I think I aint buying Borderlands the Pre-sequel on anything other than a vita. Btw, does anyone have any inclination whether this game has been selling well?

I haven't heard anything, but we know that essentially all Vitas being sold now in the US have it included. So when May NPD results come in we can just add BL2 software sales to Vita hardware sales to get the total. If nothing else, I think that should help the additional BL2 DLC come to the Vita.

The guy asking about the Gluttonous Thresher: you pretty much have to use an electric elemental gun to take down his shield, there's really no other way (his shield regens way way too fast otherwise)

On the final mission of TVHM (level 49) game crashes too damn much. My only big gripe

I haven't heard anything, but we know that essentially all Vitas being sold now in the US have it included. So when May NPD results come in we can just add BL2 software sales to Vita hardware sales to get the total. If nothing else, I think that should help the additional BL2 DLC come to the Vita.

Im hoping it does sell well, if at all, either KZ/COD/AC vita numbers or at least better than Tearaway. I want BL TPS and the Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep to happen.

RalchAC

Getting some money soon so I guess it's time to buy Borderlands 2 (it hasn't launched in Spain yet though :l ) and FFX HD.

I have the feeling this is a game I'll play a lot when a good friend of mine gets a Vita. Hopefully in Summer, if he doesn't have one in September I'll talk to my friends and take care of its birthday present.

After that I'll save money for Tales of Xillia 2 ^^

Im hoping it does sell well, if at all, either KZ/COD/AC vita numbers or at least better than Tearaway. I want BL TPS and the Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep to happen.

Lol. It sounds like some Borderlands third person shooter is launching soon. Those are The Pre-Sequel initials though :p

As ascii pointed out it's had the privilege of being bundled with a hardware revision that many will be upgrading to or buying for the first time. I expect that was deliberate on Sony's part, since remember they've foot the bill for this port.

6 days until the European release! Well, 5, if ShopTo pull through.

Lol. It sounds like some Borderlands third person shooter is launching soon. Those are The Pre-Sequel initials though :p

There was one called Borderlands Legends but technically it was a sort of top-down mobile game. 2K forgot about that.

As ascii pointed out it's had the privilege of being bundled with a hardware revision that many will be upgrading to or buying for the first time. I expect that was deliberate on Sony's part, since remember they've foot the bill for this port.

6 days until the European release! Well, 5, if ShopTo pull through.

If America fails, Europe will be my only hope. Dont think Japan cares about borderlands.

Redhood

So, this is just a warning for future BL2 vita owners, if you're doing the Blood shot area in the chapter where you saving the leader of the Sanctuary. I recommend NOT dying in the area after this check point below:

i9psjhL.jpg

I've had this weird crash where after respawning and everything seemingly loaded up, going back a few minutes or seconds into the area after this checkpoint, the game would suddenly go mute and then freeze.

My solution to fixing this was to wait for a while before going back in, a minute or so. After that, the 'sounds go mute' crash should not happen. Or you can just snipe everybody from the checkpoint area if you're having problems not dying there.

My game froze at this point today. Guess will wait for a patch cause I am not doing the whole shootbang again only for it to freeze.

BigDug13

What do I have to do to be able to use te mechromancer? She doesn't show up as a playable character

Did you download the DLC? Only the main game comes unlocked on the cartridge. You need a couple 100k DLC unlocks to access the characters. Then nearly 1GB each for the 2 expansions.

Should be in your download list if purchased digitally, or I assume something in the game box if purchased at retail like a code.

Hollycat

Considering it has over a thousand ratings on the PS store and many older games don't, I think it's probably doing well.

Also, does playing this make anyone else really want the original on Vita as well?

Redhood

Cynical post incoming!!

Having never played BL2 I was willing to look at frame rate and lower enemy count in open world areas as I thought that they were the crux of the game. But in indoor areas like above I really do not understand. The geometry is not even that impressive and nor these dungeon type areas have those daylight cycles. Vita can certainly do better still there are frame rate drops.

I'm about 24 hours in and still having a blast. Now I really hope TPS comes to Vita - but if not I'll attempt it on PC.
Anyways, did co-op with my brother yesterday when we were right next to each other and the game performed exactly as it does when I play by myself so that was a neat surprise

i just kept the controls how they were, and i think i've only ever accidentally touched melee when i'm picking the vita back up and getting situated again after putting it down to get up and do whatever for a minute

i don't own grips and i'm on the OG OLED model. i'm totally acclimated to the controls.

Hansel?

Neo Member
Maybe a weird question but I'm new to the vita after buying this bundle.

If I later decide to buy a physical copy of this game to save space on the memory card, is there a way to only delete the main game data and not the save/dlc data? I couldn't find any way of doing this when looking in the content manager the other day. It looked like I'd have to delete everything, which would seriously suck.

Maybe a weird question but I'm new to the vita after buying this bundle.

If I later decide to buy a physical copy of this game to save space on the memory card, is there a way to only delete the main game data and not the save/dlc data? I couldn't find any way of doing this when looking in the content manager the other day. It looked like I'd have to delete everything, which would seriously suck.

If you put the game card in it will just ask you if you want to replace it. The save data gets handled accordingly. Same for if you re-download the digital copy and go to install it. I did it a bunch of times with LittleBigPlanet.

DrFurbs

Sorry I know this is the vita discussion but we in the UK don't have it yet... Ice been playing the ps3 version to get ready for the vita cross save... My god what a stunning and exciting game. Totally in love with it.

Top Bottom