• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands Movie nuclear bombing at the Box Office ($110m budget vs $4m box office)

Robb

Gold Member
$110m budget vs $4m box office
f24c23be85c9f8829239d393a092c292.gif

hemo memo

Gold Member
I mean it is one thing to be a commercial failure and hated by critics but liked by the audience. Or hated by the audience and liked by critics. Hate by both critics and audiences but commercially successful. To be bad at all fronts and not just bad but REALLY bad. I say bravo.

Nintendo's live reaction after the critics and commercial bomba of this and Arad Productions is handling The Legend of Zelda untitled live action movie:

This Is Fine GIF

Animated GIF

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I was surprised they'd chosen to make a Borderlands movie when I heard about this, I'm not sure it's got that resonance/ mass appeal. The cast doesn't seem an especially good fit for the kind of film it is. The reviews were bad.

I think those are fairly big reasons why this has been and will be a giant flop.

Last edited:

-BLITZ-

Okay, I saw it. I can't simply hate or dislike it. It contained all of the game elements, including design and locations, dialogues, and references from B1/B2/B3, but even with only the initial plot of Borderlands, it couldn't fit into a two-hour film, specially some locations like Caustic Caverns which took place inside
a bunker/tunnels
and some decisions on how the game elements are presented into the movie, like how they did found the second part of the key in a
storage underground warehouse
or the set stage where the vault location was, were really mediocre. In addition, all of the other cameo characters lasted exactly as long as they had in all the trailers. All the actors did their best to appear natural and close as the original characters, like Kate & Jamie were showing that they were having a great time on set; still, Kate as Lilith, Kevin as Roland (woah, lol which didn't fit in any way), and Jack as Claptrap whose voice felt more like Jack most of the time were not the best choices for a Borderlands movie. Benjamin Byron Davis did a really good job with Marcus, and I wonder if Florian Munteanu really did the voice for Krieg. Jamie as Tannis was actually funny one; only if she was younger.

I give a 6 for all the effort/work done on the movie, but still, 110$m for this, something is not right.

Last edited:

Astray

The script was initially written by Craig Mazin (who did Last of Us and Chernobyl, both are prestige tv series that are well-respected). But it seems like multiple script doctors got involved and fucked it over. Mazin actually filed to remove his name from the end product, it was that bad and that different from the original script (which is being touted as very good from what I've seen).

I'd watch a documentary about how this movie turned out the way it has, very fascinating stuff tbh.

Last edited:
And I'm trying to figure out why you quoted me and called anyone who likes what you don't not in their "Right Mind"

News flash buddy, people in this world are different than you. People like things you don't like. If we were all the same life would be quite boring. It doesn't mean people are crazy for liking borderlands.
What the fuck are you talking about? I quoted you the first time because your initial response to me was incoherent and made absolutely no sense. I was legitimately trying to figure out what you were trying to say. I don’t care if you like it or not, I was converting my dislike for it on the thread. Which, news flash buddy, I can do as well. Don’t come at me arguing on some shit after I was trying to figure out wtf you meant 🤦‍♂️

ultrazilla

As my brother Solarstrike Solarstrike told me, "Borderlands" is a weird mix of comedy, satire, action, adventure, horror and drama. Translating that to a live action movie is exactly the result
we have now: a complete shit show.

He said it should have went the anime route and I 100% agree with that. Randy Pitchford is now 0-2 dealing with Hollywood in terms of tie-ins: ALIENS: Colonial Marines(shitty game) and now a "Borderlands" live
action flop.

The only good news out of all this? We'll never get the Duke Nukem movie. There is simply no way that was going to be any good.

If Take Two had any brains, they'd reveal Borderlands 4 STAT and just pull the movie from theaters. The sooner it's gone, the better for all involved.

Last edited:
Eh...I feel this is a disservice to the writting team of Borderlands 1 and 2 which had some good jokes and clever writting.

I feel like Borderlands 3 irreparably damaged the franchise with how terrible and cringe the writting was but it wasn't always like that.

Sure,thehumor is subjective and works better with younger crowds but there is genuine thought put into the writting of the first 2 games.Not Oscar level but definitely a fun time for a movie if it was that...This sadly is not that.
Good point. 1-2 were fun humor and 3 kind of took away from that. I still personally don’t think the old humor is good for a movie at all. It’s better placed in a video game where it’s almost an added addition to fun gameplay. I can’t see just watching a screen for that type of humor without a video game to play at the same time. But hey, again, like I said to the last poster I relied to, its opinions.

fatmarco

Why would you give Eli Roth, who's never made a good film, has only made horror thrillers, and has never had a film make over 100 million dollars (and only one over 50 million), a $110-120 million budget?

Like who thought that dice roll was at all worth it? How can anyone take even a cursory glance at that IMDB and box office performance and think it was worth risking essentially 200 million (budget+marketing equals budget x2 rule) on such a project?

Last edited:

recursive

Well of course. Who wants to see a bunch of old fuckers larping as borderlands characters? If the casting was better I might have went to watch it.

Nickolaidas

Season 1: Go Touch Some Grass

Season 2: Please, Give it a Chance

Season 3: We Thought You Guys Loved Woke Stuff

Season 4: Anything You Want, We'll Do, We Swear

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They should have synchronized the release with Borderlands 4. That seems like a much better strategy than dropping a movie in a Borderlands drought. Maybe that's hard to do, but they should have tried.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Look at this art and tell me what is appealing about it:

borderlandsa_64m8.jpg

Nothing. Everything about it is offputting. There is nothing nice to say. It is a wretched thing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Look at this art and tell me what is appealing about it:

borderlandsa_64m8.jpg

Nothing. Everything about it is offputting. There is nothing nice to say. It is a wretched thing.
All I see is a young chick in the middle with stupid rabbit ears, and then a bunch of old people.

Who would want to watch a Borderlands production with 65 year old Jamie Lee Curtis as a main character?

Top Bottom