• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands Movie nuclear bombing at the Box Office ($110m budget vs $4m box office)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The setting is supposed to be a bit grungy and dusty, the cast goes through action scenes, yet sure seems their clothes are perfectly dry cleaned every second.

FeralEcho

The Beatles of cinema.

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

Puscifer

I figured I'd be curious about it and see it in IMAX when I got back to Sacramento tomorrow but turns out it was pulled already from every theater within 100 miles after opening night.

StueyDuck

Why on earth did this movie have such a budget 🤣.

You get eli roth to helm the movie should've been like 20 mil most

SJRB

Gold Member
Eli Roth has friends in high places and is on a secret mission to burn as much Hollywood money as humanly possible and do his part to destroy it from the inside, and you can't convince me otherwise.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
e
Eli Roth has friends in high places and is on a secret mission to burn as much Hollywood money as humanly possible and do his part to destroy it from the inside, and you can't convince me otherwise.
eli roth needs to be replaced by spock

eli-quinto1.jpg

Alebrije

It's an average movie and if You are a Borderlands fan it is enjojable. Yea it has lame dialogs and some bland action scenes but it has a Lot of stuff from the videogames.

At least it's not like te crap live movies about Dragón Ball and Power Rangers. It's better than the recent Grand Turismo one.

Sushi_Combo

Kinda sucks because Thanksgiving was actually a solid Eli Roth movie lmao. Will still probably try watching this at some point.

phant0m

Randy Pitchford having a meltdown

YL1PQ8U.png

wanted to have his own Druckmann moment and got slapped down hard. in his defense creating an award winning live action screenplay in the universe & humor of Borderlands was a TALL order compared to the source material from TLoU

Neon Xenon

Randy Pitchford having a meltdown

YL1PQ8U.png
This tweet is essentially Randy Pitchford being Randy Pitchford again, so you can safely dismiss his opinion, like always, if you haven't already. Maybe Randy should have tried a magic trick to help make the movie not shitty.

When people attempt to defend an objectively bad piece of media, or just one that others are taking turns dunking on, there's always a few who try and bring up the very obvious fact of "there's a crew who worked very hard on this".

The biggest problem with making that statement in this instance is that if you can acknowledge the fact that a crew of human beings worked on this movie, then it's totally fair game to also acknowledge that said crew's work and efforts were being wasted on a fucking Borderlands live action movie.

SJRB

Gold Member

I appreciate how they didn't just go "this movie is dogshit" and lol for 30 minutes like they sometimes do but genuinely tried to figure out what went wrong.

Ultimately it seems it's a competently made movie but with a super barebones script and terrible casting choices and set design.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
They should have cancelled it and try to get a tax write off.
Maybe that way, they would not lose this much money.
I don't understand how that works. Company spends $100+ million on making a movie and determines it sucks or they want to back out. How can they get a tax write off for a big chunk of that? Just because they sucked at writing, casting. producing, managing money.....the government steps in and says 'oh....you tried.....here's $75 million back. Thanks for trying!! " Huh?

SCB3

I'm in the minority but I kinda enjoyed it... Sure it wasn't amazing but it was watchable enough, at least it was free for me lol

Reactions: Isa
It's better than the recent Grand Turismo one.
I thought GT was a pretty good movie so I have a hard time believing this. Every single rating site has Gran Turismo rated much higher. Now you personally might not have enjoyed GT as much but I just don't think this would be the majority opinion overall.

Krathoon

Gold Member
They should have had Tiny Tina when she was older and played by Ashley Burch.

That would have been an idea. Have a Borderlands set in the future.

Sorcerer

Jamie Lee Curtis really needs to play to her strengths:

A movie where she defeats Michael Myers with Activa. She can lay a trap by spreading the probiotic yogurt on the ground and Michael will trip and break his neck.

I mean Laurie Strode died in a Halloween movie and came back for 3 sequels. Anything is possible nowadays!!!

Paul Rudd needs to stop the Halloween denial. He needs to be stalked by Michael Myers in every movie he is in. Even if it's a rom-com.

Last edited:

sono

I haven't seen any advertising for this in the UK but for Gaf I would not have known it existed

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Perhaps some years down the line, Tales from the Borderlands will be adapted as a TV series.

The original Tales from the Borderlands was pretty good. But the New tales from the Borderlands was terrible and a financial flop.
If a TV show is to be made, I hope it follows the original game.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Hot dam. When even Uwe Boll makes fun of your movie, you know it's bad.

Win, brother, let's be honest for a sec here, no matter how awful Borderlands is, I'm pretty G'damn sure that it's not as awful as the diarrhea, vomit inducing Uwe-made "films".

While the typical 'Murican MCU/IP franchise may lead to the now infamous brain rot®, his movies are even worse than that since they've always been uninteresting, badly filmed, awfully directed, badly cast pieces of G'damned shite with no redeeming qualities whatsoever - they're not even in the "so bad they're good" category like, say, pieces of shit movies like the Miami connection/Samurai Cop etc etc - with those at least you can have some giggles here and there due to their whole campiness/awfulness, Uwe boll films are so terribly fucking bad, soulless and devoid of any character that you just turn off your TV in disgust.

Absolutely bloody horrible "director".
He shouldn't be one to talk, then again, he's just trolling with that message most probably thinking that "all PR is good PR"...

Last edited:
Top Bottom