• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

~Kinggi~

Banned
God's Beard said:
I wonder how extensive the variety of enemies will be in this game. It's only a week out and we've only seen soldiers, bandits, scags, birds and scorpions, right?
Developer was saying they are intentionally hiding everything for surprises.

I hope thats the case.

Red

God's Beard said:
I wonder how extensive the variety of enemies will be in this game. It's only a week out and we've only seen soldiers, bandits, scags, birds and scorpions, right?
There are big elephant sized things, dunno what they're called.

That Scar mini-boss fight in the quick look was really awful. Ran around in circles not attacking anyone until it dropped loot. Very exciting. I was thinking that might be a one off, but that mini-boss youtube link a page back or so fighting "Bone Head" was just as silly. I was hoping the later level stuff they showed at the end would be a bit more fast paced but it looked just like playing the early level stuff but with bigger damage numbers.

poweld

Teknopathetic said:
That Scar mini-boss fight in the quick look was really awful. Ran around in circles not attacking anyone until it dropped loot. Very exciting. I was thinking that might be a one off, but that mini-boss youtube link a page back or so fighting "Bone Head" was just as silly. I was hoping the later level stuff they showed at the end would be a bit more fast paced but it looked just like playing the early level stuff but with bigger damage numbers.
Sadly I have to agree from what I've seen. Two glimmers of hope I have still are A) the obvious dearth of variety we've seen and B) Jeff's upbeat tone on his second playthrough.

That guy was fucking jazzed about that shield, and maybe there's good reason?

Eric WK

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

Holy shit! Eric, everyone, fair warning. I will be meleeing you ALL THE TIME.

(Not all the time, natch, but damn that was funny.)

ETA: I love the blur effect to illustrate depth of field. This game looks lovely as hell.

That's fine. I'm going to need to get around to the "Win A Duel Without Taking Damage" achievement sooner or later. ;D

~Kinggi~

Banned
poweld said:
Sadly I have to agree from what I've seen. Two glimmers of hope I have still are A) the obvious dearth of variety we've seen and B) Jeff's upbeat tone on his second playthrough.

That guy was fucking jazzed about that shield, and maybe there's good reason?
Yeah, Jeff seems really excited when playing this game.

He has the enthusiasm a Diablo 2 guy has when they find an uber weapon.

This must mean the combat is pretty satisfying and the world feels worthwhile to explore.

Only thing im really concerned with is level variety. If the game is all desert and caves im gonna be really bummed out. I hope there is like jungle and ice or something.

I've faith in Randy and the crew that they've packed away some varied content. I like the fact they've promised we've only seen a few things thus far. Remember when the military troopers were unveiled? Everyone was pretty excited by that - more to shoot than skags and Mad Max goons.

Is a lot of negative feedback due to a paradigm shift in putting the RPG and Shooter genres together or a lackluster coalescing of the two? Only time will tell, but I think it's hard to make a call without playing it...and more to the point, questing with friends. I think that's where the magic will happen.

~Kinggi~ said:
Yeah, Jeff seems really excited when playing this game.
If the game is all desert and caves im gonna be really bummed out. I hope there is like jungle and ice or something.

I'm 90% sure that the end part is like a snowy mountain area

bengraven

This went from

Okay (first news) -> Awesome (GI article) -> Must Buy (art style) -> Worried (first impressions) -> MUST BUY (newer videos) -> On the Fence (negative impressions)

eznark

Banned
bengraven said:
This went from

Okay (first news) -> Awesome (GI article) -> Must Buy (art style) -> Worried (first impressions) -> MUST BUY (newer videos) -> On the Fence (negative impressions)
Watch the quick look, has me back to super hyped.

Iksenpets

Banned
Jeff sounds like he's really loving it just by the tone of his voice and all the laughter in the room. Definitely looking good from that quick look, I think. The boss did seem a little simplistic, but for now I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and attribute that to three of the four players being overleveled for it and killing it off quickly. The endgame abilities were looking really, really cool there.

poweld

akmcbroom said:
Indeed. Took away any worries I had after listening to the awful idle thumbs opinions.
Damn, I wanna be excited too, but I wouldn't cast off one man's opinions as "awful" because they don't align with your hopes :p

Artadius

Giant Bomb Quick Look was awesome. You can tell from the guy talking that the game is damn fun and addicting. His words when he sees that purple shield in the vending machine says it all. Looooooootwhoooooooore!

Hmm, Idle Thumbs impressions sound like those I might have of a game like this. A final boss that doesn't move much? Brain dead AI standing around like practice targets, and guns that aren't much more than palette swaps of each other?

Hm. I'll wait for many reviews before renting this one.

bathala

Banned
he did die on the Quick look, but I wonder if he's just being careless since the vid was almost done

EDIT:
Vercingetorix said:
guns that aren't much more than palette swaps of each other?
from the giantbomb vid, the dude as a gun that has inf bullets. INFINITE!

eznark

Banned
akmcbroom said:
Indeed. Took away any worries I had after listening to the awful idle thumbs opinions.
I really really respect the opinions of all the guys on Idle Thumbs, but there are always instances where my tastes are just outside the norm or completely contrary to the critical reception.

As long as the game is fun and has the same tone as the promo vids I'll be pretty happy.

Iksenpets

Banned
Vercingetorix said:
Hmm, Idle Thumbs impressions sound like those I might have of a game like this. A final boss that doesn't move much? Brain dead AI standing around like practice targets, and guns that aren't much more than palette swaps of each other?

Hm. I'll wait for many reviews before renting this one.

The boss fight was definitely anticlimactic, but gun variety seemed really good in the Giant Bomb quick look. AI I'll admit doesn't look stellar, but when has AI ever been a focus in a lootwhore game like this? It'd be nice if it had AAA FPS quality AI, but I don't think it's really a necessity for a game like this.

Swag

Having watched the quick look, I have to say I kind of understand some of the thoughts the Idle Thumbs guys had. That fight with Scar looked horrible :lol , it kinda just ran around in circles not knowing what it wanted to do.

Given the type of game that it is, it definetly seems like the focus of the game was purely on Collect as many weapons as you want then go out and kill shit and not necessarily on the enemies being challenging, the level 38 gunplay just had those worms running up to Jeff and lining up for headshots. I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt considering we didn't have any gameplay of the higher level human opponents which tend to be smarter then the random wildlife.

Still going to buy it blindly, 33.75 is too good a deal to pass on

"AI I'll admit doesn't look stellar, but when has AI ever been a focus in a lootwhore game like this? It'd be nice if it had AAA FPS quality AI, but I don't think it's really a necessity for a game like this."

Usually dull AI is countered by large amounts of them making the experience a lot more thrilling.

jabipun

Holy shit.

The guy on the justin.tv is getting his ass raped by the end-level boss :lol :lol

The A.I is decent. The guy playing kind of knows what he's doing - its not like he's "bad" - but he's getting his ass kicked a lot. Rushing out and charging is a sure-note way to get fucked up. You really have to stay back and iron-sight for head shots it seems.

poweld said:
Damn, I wanna be excited too, but I wouldn't cast off one man's opinions as "awful" because they don't align with your hopes :p

well, it's one guy talking about the game for a few minutes vs watching another guy play the game for 30. I know what I like, and who I'm believing at this point.

QL was awesome...new enemies I hadn't seen, particle weapons, unlimited ammo guns ! oh my.

Haunted

Fuck, that Giant Bomb quick look was fucking awesome. Going into blackout until release now.

Damn that got me hyped!

This has split-screen co-op right?

Excuse me for not looking elsewhere, but I don't want to know much more about the game till I buy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bathala said:
he did die on the Quick look, but I wonder if he's just being careless since the vid was almost done

EDIT:

from the giantbomb vid, the dude as a gun that has inf bullets. INFINITE!
Even better is that you don't have to reload. Imagine finding a rocket launcher with that :lol

TheFallen

You guys have played World of Warcraft and many other MMOs, right? It's pretty obvious Borderlands was inspired by games like this. What you see in the videos are not "boss fights" like you would think based on normal video game conventions. It's more or less just "Kill this named enemy". Many quests in WoW are like this. Gearbox mentioned their equivalent to WoW's "Elites" are labeled "Badass" enemies, which Scar is clearly not.

Eric WK

TheFallen said:
You guys have played World of Warcraft and many other MMOs, right? It's pretty obvious Borderlands was inspired by games like this. What you see in the videos are not "boss fights" like you would think based on normal video game conventions. It's more or less just "Kill this named enemy". Many quests in WoW are like this. Gearbox mentioned their equivalent to WoW's "Elites" are labeled "Badass" enemies, which Scar is clearly not.

Yeah, this. Not to mention the fact that two of the players were nearly double... double Scar's level.

"Yeah, this. Not to mention the fact that two of the players were nearly double... double Scar's level."

This would be an interesting point to raise if Scar attempted to do anything and just died too fast. Which it didn't. It was alive for a decent amount of time and just didn't actually do shit but run in circles.

Teknopathetic said:
"Yeah, this. Not to mention the fact that two of the players were nearly double... double Scar's level."

This would be an interesting point to raise if Scar attempted to do anything and just died too fast. Which it didn't. It was alive for a decent amount of time and just didn't actually do shit but run in circles.

definitely going to agree with this, and it's probably due to the AI issues. It seemed like it couldn't decide on who to attack or go after due to everyone firing at it, so it just ran around until it died

Swag

TheFallen said:

I don't think the problem that most people are having with the game is that the bosses don't have regular Boss conventions similar to the major fights in other games, it's just that in general the enemies seem very meh. Yes I guess you could justify that the people in the QL were double the enemies level, but seriously it just stood there :lol

Artadius

Now, I don't know how they handle this stuff, but it looked almost like the AI couldn't get a long period of time where it was aggro'd on a specific person. I would assume they have some sort of aggro meter that determines who or what (in case of turrets as well) an enemy attacks based on the amount of damage that is done to the mob (just like in WoW).

If this is the case, I can see why Scar might have had trouble sticking to one target and laying into them as it was entirely possible everyone was doing around the same amount of damage. They might have to tweak AI behavior in a patch or something if this is the case in order to have mobs 'stick' to their current targets for a specified amount of time. Of course that's always ripe for exploiting too if you can then easily kite mobs around.

MMO vets here will know exactly what I'm talking about and why its not something thats likely trivial to fix for a game like this.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Teknopathetic said:

Yeah, I don't really see that changing, atleast based off of what they said. Enemies apparently scale in number, not actually toughen up, so 4 players will probably destroy most/all bosses unless there's a bunch of enemies along with them.

bathala said:

He actually died because the video cut out for him even though it showed up on the recording feed :p. Power problems.

YagizY

At 4:40 of the Giantbomb video it sounds like they are talking about quests and how everyone shares them. Is that true?

FinKL

I just realized that because all the player information is loaded client side, what's stopping people from duping $$$ and items, not saving the game, and restarting with the same equipment :O

Rings of the Zodiac anyone???

They were saying in the Giantbomb interview, that when the power went out, one of the players didn't get to save so lost his level...

DJ Sl4m

I still have no idea what this game is about... so is it a FPS with RPG elements or an RPG with FPS elements ?

I hate RPG's but Love RPG,s I have to know what I'm buying before dropping dem dollas mayne :bling

Concept17

TheFallen said:

Thats what I'm getting from it as well. Between that interview and the videos, it sounds like this is more of a MMO than a traditional RPG, except only its 4p co-op and its FPS. I imagine boss encounters will be similar to that seen in popular MMOs like WoW only with the more chaotic random gameplay seen in Diablo.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Teknopathetic said:
"AI I'll admit doesn't look stellar, but when has AI ever been a focus in a lootwhore game like this? It'd be nice if it had AAA FPS quality AI, but I don't think it's really a necessity for a game like this."

Usually dull AI is countered by large amounts of them making the experience a lot more thrilling.

Ya pretty much what I was trying to say earlier. The enemies aren't cunning, but hey when there are 20 of them you kind of have to watch your shit.

leela

Neo Member
For both of Jeff's characters, they only showcased early missions in the game. Maybe the enemy counts pickup later in the adventure to makeup for the simplistic AI.

Red

Pretty much the only thing that's got me apprehensive is the shitty boss fights. Everything else is golden, but I was hoping for more epic battles to punctuate the lootwhoring. Anyway, like I said before, it ain't a dealbreaker. It's not the reason I'm buying the game, but it would've been nice.

I may end up double dipping for this if I can talk my friends into getting the 360 version.

Top Bottom