• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Aaron

YagizY said:
At 4:40 of the Giantbomb video it sounds like they are talking about quests and how everyone shares them. Is that true?
Side quests are shared. Story quests are only shared if you're high enough level to have them unlocked. Was mentioned earlier in the thread.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Teknopathetic said:
That Scar mini-boss fight in the quick look was really awful. Ran around in circles not attacking anyone until it dropped loot. Very exciting. I was thinking that might be a one off, but that mini-boss youtube link a page back or so fighting "Bone Head" was just as silly. I was hoping the later level stuff they showed at the end would be a bit more fast paced but it looked just like playing the early level stuff but with bigger damage numbers.
From what Nick Breckon is saying in the recent Idle Thumbs, a central issue for him is that enemies don't actually do much to defend themselves.

Edit: Or was it Jake? I forgot who it was, sorry.
Edit: It was Nick.

wmat said:
From what Nick Breckon is saying in the recent Idle Thumbs, a central issue for him is that enemies don't actually do much to defend themselves.

I watched a couple gameplay videos and the bandit enemies just stood around not moving in the open, easily ran over and/or killed by the player.

Of course, the player was so horrible at aiming/playing in general that he was killed by like the first 3 bandits in the game :lol

If the AI is really sub-par, I hope they acknowledge and fix as soon as possible. I'm crossing my fingers that this game doesn't disappoint.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
SNUG REVOL said:
I've put about 3 hours into the game with Brick. Ask me some questions if you'd like. I love it so far.
Judging by your username, this game is practically made for you :lol

jabipun

SNUG REVOL said:
I've put about 3 hours into the game with Brick. Ask me some questions if you'd like. I love it so far.

How's the default difficulty? I was watching the guy playing it on justin.tv and he was getting his ass kicked like every 5 minutes. And it's not like he was playing poorly - he knew the mechanics.

jabipun said:
How's the default difficulty? I was watching the guy playing it on justin.tv and he was getting his ass kicked like every 5 minutes. And it's not like he was playing poorly - he knew the mechanics.

It starts of pretty easy but some of the earlier bosses light you up! I like that. You really have to know whats in your inventory. Health packs, types of grenades and ammo. I found this bad ass scoped pistol that burns flesh:lol I feel I almost NEED another player at times.

I was really worried that game might be too easy. lol Nope! It gets pretty hard at times, but just intelligently managing your inventory will make or break certain boss fights.

Dude Abides

Banned
SNUG REVOL said:

Is the AI completely retarded as people and reviewers have been suggesting?

Also, is loot really a free-for-all and whoever is closest gets it?

Can you set the difficulty at all?

YagizY

Hey SNUG REVOL, how is the Brick character? I wanted to use him but I also wanted the ability to use the badass guns. I know he could use guns but are their any limitations or drawbacks considering he is pitched as a melee character?

Rahk

YagizY said:
Hey SNUG REVOL, how is the Brick character? I wanted to use him but I also wanted the ability to use the badass guns. I know he could use guns but are their any limitations or drawbacks considering he is pitched as a melee character?
He has a skill tree that improves his abilities with explosive weapons, so you could probably end up pretty powerful if you use melee combined with explosive weapons.

Dude Abides said:
Is the AI completely retarded as people and reviewers have been suggesting?

Also, is loot really a free-for-all and whoever is closest gets it?

The AI isnt the greatest. I've seen skags get caught up rocks and other parts of the environment. So far the skags I've seen have had a pretty basic routine. Locate, charge at you(or spit acid lol) repeat. I wasn't expecting these mutated dobermans to flank me so it doesn't bother me at all.

Yea, for sure there are some AI issues. Are they game breaking so far? Hell no. I've been too busy deciding on which shotgun I should use... Medium range damage with %100 melee damage? Or the insanely slow reloading rocket launcher shotgun :p

YagizY said:

Brick is pretty damn awesome actually! I was a bit worried about using him to start but so far its been great. I haven't found many explosive weapons(only level 8). Ive been using a combination of shotguns and pistols with decent success. I just unlocked his special ability which is a lot of fun to use. Hit the left bumper and start pounding on fools!

Also I dont think there are any difficulty options.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
SNUG, can you just grind and loot-whore for a while to build up your strength against bosses, or will they always be tough? I love to grind and collect loot, see.

Witchfinder General said:
SNUG, can you just grind and loot-whore for a while to build up your strength against bosses, or will they always be tough? I love to grind and collect loot, see.

For sure. I think you have to in some cases lol. You can farm skags for xp all you want. If you venture to an area that is out of your range the game gives you a warning that you might get you ass kicked. If you manage to take out a higher level character you gain tons of XP.

Need to sleep. I promise I'll answer more questions in the morning.

YagizY

SNUG REVOL said:
For sure. I think you have to in some cases lol. You can farm skags for xp all you want. If you venture to an area that is out of your range the game gives you a warning that you might get you ass kicked. If you manage to take out a higher level character you gain tons of XP.

Need to sleep. I promise I'll answer more questions in the morning.

Thanks for the great info man!

Absinthe

poweld said:
Damn, I wanna be excited too, but I wouldn't cast off one man's opinions as "awful" because they don't align with your hopes :p

Yea, that's true, awful may have been a little harsh.

I guess with all I've heard from people in the industry about how good the game is, and playtime at PAX, I thought his opinions were a ways off.

cmmart

Gearbox is having a launch party at the Granada Theatre in Dallas on October 17. Given that I live 5 minutes away, I think I will attend. PM me if anybody is interested. Here are the details.
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/communityinvite
The venue is an historic movie theatre that now is concert venue. Good bands too. Saw Sonic Youth and BRMC there.

Cleared up some redundancy in my Soldier spec sheet:

5ob7nb.jpg

I even did a level 30 spec to organize where I want to be near the end of the first playthrough.

I tried setting up Lilith and Brick, but to be honest their skilltrees were really boring. Mordecai was ok, but he didn't have much flexibility. You pretty much have to know what guns you like with him.

Either way, I've been getting sick just watching the previews, so I hope I'll be ok with this game :lol

Red

Just finished the quick look. Wow, the game looks awesome. I can't wait.

"This gun? INFINITE BULLETS." :lol :lol

Absinthe

:lol

Mikey Neumann, Creative Director for Gearbox, and a couple other Gearbox employees were on the live feed chattin it up with all the guys there watching.

That's pretty badass that they are up to just talk with people who are viewing their game they created, now streaming online 1 week before release for anyone to see, and not try to take it down or anything.

On top of all the gameplay, loot, and gfx, this is one more reason I want to buy this game. Gearbox Dev's are just quality guys when it comes to supporting their fanbase.

Alex

Kind of want, it looks fun, but worried about the difficulty. Everything I've seen has looked way too easy. A game like this without some options for hefty challenge is kinda worthless to me, personally.

Teknopathetic said:
That Scar mini-boss fight in the quick look was really awful. Ran around in circles not attacking anyone until it dropped loot. Very exciting. I was thinking that might be a one off, but that mini-boss youtube link a page back or so fighting "Bone Head" was just as silly. I was hoping the later level stuff they showed at the end would be a bit more fast paced but it looked just like playing the early level stuff but with bigger damage numbers.

I think a few factors ran into that Scar boss.. They were way over leveled.. Gerstmann wasn't but 2 others were over double the level of Scar and they had mentioned that you could go back to low lvl areas if you wanted to and just run through things if you so pleased - So that kind of just emulated that.

Also I think their is an aggro mechanic in this game. It becomes apparent when you see the enemies attempting to attack the turrets not to mention they do have a class that is meant to "tank" - Brick.

Gerstmann was attacking it early on but liek 3 second sin that lvl 16 guy ran behind it and started to shoot and literally shot like for 3 seconds and it died. I think it ended up pulling aggro and it just died freakishly quick since the others just got behind Gerstmann and started firing as well.

The YouTube Mini Boss seemed rather uneventful but at the same time seemed to do a decent amount of dmg for something nearly the same level which was at least promising.

Sephon

After seeing that video my hype rose once again, man I can't wait for this game.
If I only get some friends on 360 that'll buy it on release I'll probably double dip for the first time of my life.

Incidentally, the AI being slightly simple doesn't piss me off in the least. I've never played an RPG-lite dungeon crawler loot-fest with complicated AI routines, and if this is truly a 1st person version of that Diablo/Titan Quest-genre - as, indeed, it absolutely looks from this Giant Bomb video - then I"m fine with AI that errs on the side of basic.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I hope you can open up the game and select hard difficulty from the jump. The more challenging these types of games are the better and if they aren't challenging enough they get boring really fast.

Sephon

_tetsuo_ said:
I hope you can open up the game and select hard difficulty from the jump. The more challenging these types of games are the better and if they aren't challenging enough they get boring really fast.

I agree, on single player I'd rather have it challenging but not too hard though, but on cooperative I really want it to be hard so that it requires good teamwork.
That's usually where these kinds of games shine the brightest

I love the concept of hourly sales in-game, that's a nice touch.

Tried so very hard to do a blackout...but I can't stop watching this footage. Pathetic. But my hype meter is off the charts now and the technicians are just standing there shaking their heads, staring at all the parts and broken glass.

Absinthe

_tetsuo_ said:

There are no difficulty settings in the game from what I've seen so far. If you want it to get harder, you go to the higher level areas outside your level.

Firestorm

So Deals section could be updated with:

[Canada] $39.83 for 360 version at Wal-Mart
[Canada] $39.96 for 360 and PS3 versions at Future Shop

Lord Phol said:
Just popped back up on my radar again :eek:, game is looking interesting.
Question, how is the selection of meele-weapons in the game?
Looked through a build-calculator and got the idea of a meele-lilith, something akin to: http://talent.87bazillion.com/siren.php?055000005055005005055
The melee system is just hitting with guns isn't it? I don't think there's any specific melee weapons.

I feel like Roland has the biggest variety in what you can viably spec him as, and Mordecai/Brick has the least. Mind you, we'll have to wait until we can actually get the game to figure what's the best for each playstyle. And that sort of takes the fun out of it.

Lord Phol

Orbitcube said:
The melee system is just hitting with guns isn't it? I don't think there's any specific melee weapons.

I feel like Roland has the biggest variety in what you can viably spec him as, and Mordecai/Brick has the least. Mind you, we'll have to wait until we can actually get the game to figure what's the best for each playstyle. And that sort of takes the fun out of it.

Aw, well might still be fun to mess around with.
Guess I'll just wait for the game before going all insane experementing with odd set-ups :p.

LatvjuAvs

Anyone from US/CA buying 4-pack from steam?
I would like to have 1 gift code, can send money/4 thru ol good paypal.

Looking forward to game :)

Lord Phol said:
Oh btw, any words on the console versions (specifically the ps3) being gimped in any way?

The Quicklook video seemed to be 360 version and it did not seem gimped in even the slightest way. No idea on PS3 yet. How was the BiA Gearbox did on it?

Cant0na

Banned
wow that Giantbomb quick look really sold me on the game. Preordered.

Just hope i can convince a few friends to get it as well. they probably wont get it so close to MW2, but ill try........wish they released this during the summer :(

spazzfish

For those that have played it, please can you tell me that it's nothing like resistance 2 co-op with loot or i'll be sad:(
I was also wondering if there is another difficulty or any challenge incentive after the second play through or are you stuck running through on that difficulty indefinitely at lev 50 looking for loot?

Sephon said:
What is it that throws you off?

Loot wise guns and shields seems a little dissapointing, and jeff said there's no upgrading of weaponry? that can't be right. Constantly looking down to pick up ammo really annoyed me in that video as well, god knows what it'll do to me in gameplay. They should copy sacred 2 (shit game)in that regard and have a loot radius that'll pick all the ammo and money up near you.

The shooting doesn't seem to have much feedback at all, they don't seem to react to crits at all.

Top Bottom