• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Kinitari said:
My girlfriend has been asking for another co-op friendly game, and she has expressed interest in 'learning' fps's, and now I am wondering if this would be a good transitional game for her? We love co-op RPG's, you name it and we've probably played it, and she'll even fool around in Uncharted and throw down in Street Fighter from time to time - she is a bit self conscious though, so if this game is crushingly hard (ala Demon's Souls :D) it'll probably make her feel like ass.

I used Left 4 Dead on "easy" mode to do just this. My wife got into that shit HARD. Now she loves co-op FPS games.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
God's Beard said:
You must really like pistols, hawk. I wouldn't give up cooldown reduction for anything.

I don't, ordinarily. But then I heard that there were pistols that fired shotgun shells. And then I saw Mord has a skill that shoots two shots for every trigger pull with a pistol. And so forth :p

@Development
you still paid more than me :eek:

Red

poweld said:
I've come to the conclusion that either the controls in this game are impossible or everyone who has had their hands on it and made vids have some form of brain damage.
They're not as bad as the early Halo 3: ODST vids. Those were cringeworthy.

Weird sounds when tires hit rocks in that last vid. Sounds like a glass bottle breaking. Explosions are great and the splatter effect for running people over is fantastic :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sebulon3k said:
Don't you mean the 26th? Or did it get pushed back D:

Please be the former
Europe.

*Anyone near this? Gearbox throwing a party 3 days early for anybody that can attend and RSVP.
http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/communityinvite

2u6g0o5.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Also Mikey had this to say about the Idle Thumbs musings:

The reviews I've seen have all come in above 9 (save OXM, which is still a damn respectable 8.5)

You guys are going to drive yourselves crazy if you keep scouring the internet for any sentence about the game you can find. Go outside, take a break, have a coke and a smile and come back on the 20th :D

^ actually, the one in that video shoots exploding shots, as there are other snipers that do ignite enemies. but yeah, i don't think there's any flamethrower like sniper

jabipun

I think the reason why some of the enemies appear more like target practice is simply due to the grind - nature of the game. With experience, loot grinding - it would be annoying to kill thousands among thousands of things in what is probably a lengthy FPS/RPG type game with enemies flanking you, going into cover, hiding behind cover for 3 minutes etc.

Almost like Left for Dead. It wouldn't be fun if the 'zombies' were outsmarting you. Sometimes you just want to hear bullets fly and blood spray. As long as a challenge exists, the enemies themselves don't need to be the best of best in enemy A.I

If people are referring to some big fuck up, like a boss character just standing around and getting glitched/stuck in a corner or something, that's another story. But I understand if these enemies were more part target practice than not.

Red

jabipun said:
I think the reason why some of the enemies appear more like target practice is simply due to the grind - nature of the game. With experience, loot grinding - it would be annoying to kill thousands among thousands of things in what is probably a lengthy FPS/RPG type game with enemies flanking you, going into cover, hiding behind cover for 3 minutes etc.

Almost like Left for Dead. It wouldn't be fun if the 'zombies' were outsmarting you. Sometimes you just want to hear bullets fly and blood spray. As long as a challenge exists, the enemies themselves don't need to be the best of best in enemy A.I

If people are referring to some big fuck up, like a boss character just standing around and getting glitched/stuck in a corner or something, that's another story. But I understand if these enemies were more part target practice than not.
It's no dealbreaker for me, that's for sure, but I'd like if at least the boss characters had more variable behavior. It seems that enemy AI is divided by creature type and not rank or class (humans act one way, skags another, etc.). That's alright, but it would have been nice to see smarter human opponents.

God's Beard said:
Nice try, but that's a sniper rifle with incendiary bullets. Close for sure, but I mean a sniper that shoots a stream of flames across the battlefield.

the weapons all shoot bullets or rockets pretty much. Although there may be lasers. But none of them shoot liquids or lightning shurikens or anything...

Mar

I'm pretty apprehensive toward this game. Everything I've seen and heard has me mostly disinterested. The Idle Thumbs thoughts, the weak character designs, no character customisation (other than a couple of colours), and the weapons seem uninteresting. Even the skill trees don't get me excited, I guess which is related to Nick's impressions on Idle Thumbs saying 'there's not much there to get excited about'.

The only reason I'm buying this is because I have 4 friends who are getting it, and the game would have to be a complete and utter disaster to NOT be fun in 4 player co-op. Really, this is the only attractive element to the game and I wonder if it was Too Humanised (ie, scaled back to 2 player co-op) if all the hype and interest in this game would fade away to nothing. Just like Too Human, all my friends were going to jump on that game until the co-op was gimped, and I wonder how many other people would flip their positive anticipation for it if that happened.

eznark

Banned
Mar_ said:
I'm pretty apprehensive toward this game. Everything I've seen and heard has me mostly disinterested. The Idle Thumbs thoughts, the weak character designs, no character customisation (other than a couple of colours), and the weapons seem uninteresting. Even the skill trees don't get me excited, I guess which is related to Nick's impressions on Idle Thumbs saying 'there's not much there to get excited about'.

The only reason I'm buying this is because I have 4 friends who are getting it, and the game would have to be a complete and utter disaster to NOT be fun in 4 player co-op. Really, this is the only attractive element to the game and I wonder if it was Too Humanised (ie, scaled back to 2 player co-op) if all the hype and interest in this game would fade away to nothing. Just like Too Human, all my friends were going to jump on that game until the co-op was gimped, and I wonder how many other people would flip their positive anticipation for it if that happened.
I hope to God I like this game as much as Too Human. That would be freaking great.

jabipun

Wait, what is this idle thumbs bullshit, and why does it have people freaking the fuck out. The best of games always have avenues where people aren't so thrilled about it. this game may or may not be good, but it should take multiple review sources for people to begin to think either way.

Personally, usually genre combinations are jack of all trades - master of none types. I don't think this game will do level grinding/loot hording as well as it is in Diablo, nor will it have FPS mechanics as good as the best - most dedicated 6 to 8 hour shooters.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
God's Beard said:
Nice try, but that's a sniper rifle with incendiary bullets. Close for sure, but I mean a sniper that shoots a stream of flames across the battlefield.
Well in one preview it was mentioned an alien weapon that acted like a flamethrower was generated, but I'm not sure if that could carry over to a sniper form... Maybe?

eznark said:
I hope to God I like this game as much as Too Human. That would be freaking great.

qft. I put 60 hours easily into too human. That got about a 7/10 generally from reviewers, this is looking to be a high 8 or a 9. Not too worried. gimme loot and leveling and I'm happy.

Mar_ said:

Is Idle Thumbs a podcast? Nobody has linked to a review so I'm assuming it is.

I agree about a game having to be worse than a root canal to not be fun with 4 player co-op. ANYTHING is fun with 3 friends.

MrDaravon

jabipun said:
Wait, what is this idle thumbs bullshit, and why does it have people freaking the fuck out.

A lot of people around here really like the Idle Thumbs guys and their opinions, and the fact that a lot of his complaints were issues like stupid/broken AI and other tech things that are not really subjective. I'm going to be paying verrrry close attention to the rest of reviews now.

I wonder if the devs are going to approach the skill trees like they would an MMO...Are people going to complain about their characters being nerfed after a patch?

I watched that Bobcast preview. If the Idle Thumbs guys said the guns are all the same that needs to be immedietly discounted. I saw different weapons with different reload animations and rate of fire aannd clip sizes.The enemies do stand around and this looks very much like a loot fest.,

Red

Hm, I've been given the opportunity to pick this up for 360 either tomorrow or Friday. But I already have it preordered on Steam. What a pickle.

How are the quests in co-op handled? That giant bomb vid said that the other players came to the narrator's "instance"...is there quest sharing?

I wonder how extensive the variety of enemies will be in this game. It's only a week out and we've only seen soldiers, bandits, scags, birds and scorpions, right?

Top Bottom