• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

whatevermort said:
Incidentally, the AI being slightly simple doesn't piss me off in the least. I've never played an RPG-lite dungeon crawler loot-fest with complicated AI routines, and if this is truly a 1st person version of that Diablo/Titan Quest-genre - as, indeed, it absolutely looks from this Giant Bomb video - then I"m fine with AI that errs on the side of basic.

Bingo. The AI issues can be distracting but they dont ruin the game.

Pylon_Trooper said:
I love the concept of hourly sales in-game, that's a nice touch.

I love this feature. It reminds me of Steam weekend deals :lol I've seen some great items on sale with only seconds left before the deal expire. Things get hectic when all your inventory slots are full and you have to start throwing some of your older items on the floor just to make room for the sale item.

Lord Phol said:
Oh btw, any words on the console versions (specifically the ps3) being gimped in any way?

360 version here. Everything is running smoothly. There's the occasional "UE3" pop ins issue but nothing like Mass Effect or Gears.

At times if you gib a skag with a melee attack you might notice some slowdown.

fizzelopeguss said:
Loot wise guns and shields seems a little dissapointing, and jeff said there's no upgrading of weaponry? that can't be right. Constantly looking down to pick up ammo really annoyed me in that video as well, god knows what it'll do to me in gameplay. They should copy sacred 2 (shit game)in that regard and have a loot radius that'll pick all the ammo and money up near you.

The shooting doesn't seem to have much feedback at all, they don't seem to react to crits at all.

1. Guns feel great. This is really an RPG-Shooter, not the other way around. Certain weapons can stun the enemy. My character is pretty green so I havent seen many cool shields yet.

2. Looking around for items after a kill is exciting for me. If you hold the X button(360) while picking up ammo or other items, you'll actually pick up all the items within your view.(Hopefully that makes sense) Basically you dont have to keep pressing the X button pick up 2 items that are close to each other. Hold down X and you'll grab both items.

If you notice a gun on the ground thats better than yours you either tap X to throw it your inventory or hold X to swap you current gun for the item on the floor.

Teknopathetic said:
"Yeah, this. Not to mention the fact that two of the players were nearly double... double Scar's level."

This would be an interesting point to raise if Scar attempted to do anything and just died too fast. Which it didn't. It was alive for a decent amount of time and just didn't actually do shit but run in circles.

It was aggro ping ponging to the 3 different players who were wrecking it at the time. Honestly I think people are trying to make hay out of this who have never played a game like wow or diablo. It was a big scag that acted just like every other scag we had seen up to that point.

SNUG REVOL said:
2. Looking around for items after a kill is exciting for me. If you hold the X button(360) while picking up ammo or other items, you'll actually pick up all the items within your view.(Hopefully that makes sense) Basically you dont have to keep pressing the X button pick up 2 items that are close to each other. Hold down X and you'll grab both items.

Ahh thank god for that, hopefully the pc version will be like "Hold down the E key"

Lord Phol

SNUG REVOL said:
360 version here. Everything is running smoothly. There's the occasional "UE3" pop ins issue but nothing like Mass Effect or Gears.

That's reassuring, still holding out for words on the PS3 version though :x.
Great impressions so far!

MMaRsu

Allright!! Ordered Border Lands through Gamehubs for 41 euro's including shipping :D. I should have the game 2/3 days after release I think. Maybe earlier I don't know when they ship it..

I love reading people's first impressions! I am definitely picking this game up next week (being $39 in Canada did provide the necessary motivation). Is there Match Making to help find additional players?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Loving the impressions so far! Honestly, so close to release, I imagine that if you aren't impressed or don't like what you've seen so far, you probably won't like the game. If you've reacted the opposite way, you probably will. Obviously there is some middle ground and you should check out reviews/rent it/whatever, but there's no way a game of this type will please everyone.

As far as melee attacks (and that Lilith spec), I know that for sure you can melee with guns, and that each character also has a unique melee attack (obviously Brick punches the shit out of dudes, but Lilith does a little force slap thing, Roland has a combat knife and Mordecai a blade). In practice, I don't know how you switch or choose which you wanna do.

SNUG REVOL said:
It gets pretty hard at times, but just intelligently managing your inventory will make or break certain boss fights.

Wow, didn't expect that. Cool.

Chinner

Banned
Okay guys, for some reason this game was not on my radar and I only seen it mentioned like 3 times. What I'm wondering is, what is the hook of this game? Also, is there a SP and is the story generally like?

Hawkian said:
As far as melee attacks (and that Lilith spec), I know that for sure you can melee with guns, and that each character also has a unique melee attack (obviously Brick punches the shit out of dudes, but Lilith does a little force slap thing, Roland has a combat knife and Mordecai a blade). In practice, I don't know how you switch or choose which you wanna do.

Brick using a lead pipe when he melees!:lol

Wow, didn't expect that. Cool.

Very cool. So far all my weapons equipped with fire are owning:lol I'm sure I'll have to switch things up as the game progresses.

Mikey Jr.

Firestorm said:
So Deals section could be updated with:

[Canada] $39.83 for 360 version at Wal-Mart
[Canada] $39.96 for 360 and PS3 versions at Future Shop

So this is a permanent drop for the game or a limited time only thing?

poweld

Chinner said:
Okay guys, for some reason this game was not on my radar and I only seen it mentioned like 3 times. What I'm wondering is, what is the hook of this game? Also, is there a SP and is the story generally like?
Come on, just look through this thread, it isn't that long. You'll get as good an idea as any of us (except those that have played it) have.

Dude Abides

Banned
GB quicklook has eliminated my trepidation about buying this at full retail. Now, hopefully my favorite street-date-breaking game store will sell me a copy early so I can check it out this weekend.

Chinner

Banned
poweld said:
Come on, just look through this thread, it isn't that long. You'll get as good an idea as any of us (except those that have played it) have.
well excuuuse me if i want more information is supplied in the OP.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*shrug* 29 pounds isn't roughly 41 Euros? The Euro must really be kicking the $'s ass.

Chinner, here's my explanation of the game's hook for you:

One night, after drinking a bunch of Jager and JD, Diablo and Halo were chilling in the living room at a party. Slowly they began to realize that all the other guests had left or snuck off somewhere. In their drunken haze, they suddenly noticed Mad Max had come on the softly-glowing television nearby...

9 months later, Borderlands was born.

MMaRsu

Going to cancel my Gamehubs order and pick it up at a free record shop store here.. for only 38 euro's! Launchday here I come :D

"It was aggro ping ponging to the 3 different players who were wrecking it at the time. Honestly I think people are trying to make hay out of this who have never played a game like wow or diablo. It was a big scag that acted just like every other scag we had seen up to that point."

Played both. Diablo doesn't use a threat/aggro mechanic.

Fxp

How fast is Zavvi's shipping? Do they ship before launch day for customer to get game on launch day?

Shoogoo

Fxp said:
How fast is Zavvi's shipping? Do they ship before launch day for customer to get game on launch day?

I can't tell really, especially since there is this royal mail strike in UK right now. But I won't be there the weekend following the game's release and I'd rather have it on monday than receiving it on friday with no time to play it lol

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just paid for my steam copy. $33.75 USD because of a 4-pack is good, because I did play their demo at PAX and I did not like it. However, $33.75 is worth taking a small risk over, plus I figure a demo can't really represent the whole game very well at all, not one like this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can use any combination of 3 color choices to customize your look, but beyond that there are no visual changes available.

Sooo I originally thought you were fighting mainly monsters and wild animals etc but the more of it I see the more actual people I'm seeing. The game was giving me such a PSO vibe and it was mainly the shooting all the weird creatures that was doing it, so how much of the game are you actually hunting creatures as opposed to just shooting other mercenary types ?

MMaRsu

Gah Paypal wouldn't cancel my payment so fuck those guys I'll just buy it from Gamehubs then. What's a couple of euro's more or less. Does anybody here ever order from them? If you use UPS shipping do you get it near the release date?

Shoogoo

I find it silly that they were with 3 soldiers and 1 lilith on GB. I wish we could see at least 3 of them, especially Brick, that one is intriguing me.

poweld

Shoogoo said:
I find it silly that they were with 3 soldiers and 1 lilith on GB. I wish we could see at least 3 of them, especially Brick, that one is intriguing me.
The first thing I thought was this, followed by "why wouldn't we at least follow one of the soldiers so we can see more than 1 character type on-screen??" :lol

Shoogoo

poweld said:
The first thing I thought was this, followed by "why wouldn't we at least follow one of the soldiers so we can see more than 1 character type on-screen??" :lol

Now that you mention it..!!

Damn that video sucked

:lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finally watched the Giant Bomb quick look video for this game.
All I can say is that marrying the pew-pew-pew of First Person Shooters with the flying damage numbers and indicators of Role-Playing Games is REALLY doing it for me.

Raide

Mejilan said:
Finally watched the Giant Bomb quick look video for this game.
All I can say is that marrying the pew-pew-pew of First Person Shooters with the flying damage numbers and indicators of Role-Playing Games is REALLY doing it for me.

Things exploding into loot chunks always does it for me. :D

Shoogoo

sh4mike said:
Anyone found info on controller layouts, e.g. options and default button config?

DAMN. How could I forget that!

Snug, could you check wether they put alt-controls like lefty, southpaw etc? Please.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anerythristic said:
I was going to be a Soldier. That class looks like it's going to be a popular class, I guess Hunter maybe.

You can play as a popular class!

The soldier probably has the most flexibility- if you go full medic your character really will be nothing like the "I am deadly with any weapon" guy.

Mrbob

Hit up the online Borderlands thread if you are interested in a 4 pack via steam...thinking about grabbing one want to know if there is more interest in doing so.

eznark

Banned
Listened to Idle Thumbs. More than anything it seemed like a taste issue. I can dig that. Didn't damper my excitement at all, except for limited quest variation. That could be real lame. Although there were what, 5 different quest types in Red Faction: Guerilla?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, it sort of seems like it's tough to get Nick personally excited about anything.

God's Beard said:
Soliders forever lulz

Just for that I pledge to make one of each class except soldier :lol

Top Bottom