• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Not sure if the bullet lag is intentional or not, but it is kind of odd. Anytime an enemy is running sideways you pretty much can't hit them.

Lord Phol

On the topic of rocket launchers, I've yet to find a real good one BUT the one I have at the moment has its uses with its shock attribute. Dealing 320 Splash dmg with shock means that it eats through shields.
It's great for taking out shields quickly and then finnish off with another gun.

RubxQub said:
Not sure if the bullet lag is intentional or not, but it is kind of odd. Anytime an enemy is running sideways you pretty much can't hit them.

Think it's part of the game since Lilith even has a talent that increases bullet velocity.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Siren actually has a skill that increases bullet velocity. I think I shall be maxing it if I can squeeze in the points.

garath

FinKL said:
Is it me, or do bullets take a while to travel?

Like coming from CS, where the moment you press the button, the bullet registers in a straight path, I've noticed that sniping with a Pistol, the bullet has a slight time delay lag till it hits the wall/ground. This is single player, multi was broken last night =/

Yes they do have a travel time. Have to adjust my aiming for it once I realized it was there. Getting better with it.

FinKL said:
Is it me, or do bullets take a while to travel?

Like coming from CS, where the moment you press the button, the bullet registers in a straight path, I've noticed that sniping with a Pistol, the bullet has a slight time delay lag till it hits the wall/ground. This is single player, multi was broken last night =/
they work like real guns they also all have a specific lean to them that you can figure out. so say you want to pick a guy off with you pistol well you can figure that at a certain distance the pistol goes off target by 2 barrels ( Iused barrels width to figure this out.)

Ive heard that class mods can push skill points beyond the max, but when I equip one, it doesn't do anything, or at least it doesnt reflect in the skill screen. Is it supposed to actually show 7/5?

No, they don't show up on th skill screen.

tjohn86 said:
Anyone got any tips / thoughts on where to put soldier skill points?

turret skills, health regen, magazine capacity, bullet damage. Later on you'll get class mods that restore your ammo so don't worry too much about ammo regen.

FinKL

Hawkian said:
Siren actually has a skill that increases bullet velocity. I think I shall be maxing it if I can squeeze in the points.

Lilith as best sniper confirmed! At least that's who I picked to main :)

Seriously though, it's like I have to lead with a shotgun from a range. Not sure if it's because the earlier guns have crappy accuracy, or just the slower bullet velocity or combination of both. I can see why some snipers got upset earlier lol

Also, is there a way to toggle crouch and zoom? Kb/mouse combo i hate the toggles, unless i'm playing with my 360 controller, then it's fine.

Dead

well not really...yet
Im stuck on the Sniper Rifle Scavenger Hunt at Arid Hills

Ive looked everywhere and I cant find the Sniper Rifle Barrel ANYWHERE

Anyone know where it is?

edit: nevermind lolz

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
FinKL said:
Lilith as best sniper confirmed! At least that's who I picked to main :)

Seriously though, it's like I have to lead with a shotgun from a range. Not sure if it's because the earlier guns have crappy accuracy, or just the slower bullet velocity or combination of both. I can see why some snipers got upset earlier lol

Also, is there a way to toggle crouch and zoom? Kb/mouse combo i hate the toggles, unless i'm playing with my 360 controller, then it's fine.

You can configure.... any key you want..?

Crouch is a toggle, but zoom is a hold-downmabob.

Dead said:
Im stuck on the Sniper Rifle Scavenger Hunt at Arid Hills

Ive looked everywhere and I cant find the Sniper Rifle Barrel ANYWHERE

Anyone know where it is?

edit: nevermind lolz
Its funny how all the gun collecting quests have been pretty much this.. Everyone just screaming for help then 3 mins later an edit saying "NM LOLZ" haha

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hahahhaah for realz, I haven't gotten any of those yet but every page I see exactly that series of comments :lol

Blizzard

Banned
gamerecks said:
Why Gamespy? Why?

Another list of friends I need to invite to play. Ugh.
At least you CAN invite friends. :( I'm gonna try Vista tonight...

Seems they either disabled the editor or not all the files are there despite lots of resources included. Did Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway have a working editor? (something like "biahh editor" or "biahh willoweditor"?)

At any rate, if I don't end up playing the game at all, the one good thing I got out of it is AIN'T NO REST FOR THE WICKED
MONEY DON'T GROW ON TREES

in my head all day. :lol

eznark said:
Damn I was stoked about the skipping the opening movies tweak but it didn't work. Boo.

It does, i just deleted all that shit. And make sure you're editing the ini in my documents, not the games native directory.

garath

Blizzard said:
At least you CAN invite friends. :( I'm gonna try Vista tonight...

Seems they either disabled the editor or not all the files are there despite lots of resources included. Did Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway have a working editor? (something like "biahh editor" or "biahh willoweditor"?)

At any rate, if I don't end up playing the game at all, the one good thing I got out of it is AIN'T NO REST FOR THE WICKED
MONEY DON'T GROW ON TREES

in my head all day. :lol

I read on the official forums that someone solved their issue with timeouts. Windows firewall was blocking it causing the timeout even though he disabled it. Add borderlands to the approved list for windows firewall and try again.

Here's his thread

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=79672

edit: I should mention I haven't really been following your issue closely so if this post doesn't help, sorry :(

FinKL

Hawkian said:
You can configure.... any key you want..?

Crouch is a toggle, but zoom is a hold-downmabob.

Right, but I want a "push down" to crouch and a "Press Right Click to zoom" to enter zoom not hold down to zoom.

Also, has Gearbox mentioned anything concerned bootleg copies? Their choice of using Gamespy was poor, because Gamespy doesn't have an account verification so anyone with the game (legal or not) can create an account.

Jonsoncao

Banned
completed the second playthrough, asking for more 4 ppl loot whoring
lower level ppl welcome

I ll be on live EST evening, and I am in the gaf bl clan, gt is MathChief

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I suspected that! Windows firewall is a sneaky motherfucker. I have to add the ports I forwarded and try everything again, even though I did have fewer and fewer problems as the day went on I still couldn't host games (not the first game I've had trouble with, though).

Dreavus

Played up to level 11 as Mordecai with a few friends, and holy shit, those Badass Skags are going to give me nightmares. We ran into 2 of them at once when we were all level 8 and we were all constantly running for lives.

Pretty fun game so far. Sniping is a bit difficult but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I maxed out the skill that reduces sniper sway and am currently leveling the bloodwing looting skill. I've only died once so far, and that was when my buddy drove the jeep I was in off a cliff where we were annihilated by the out-of-bounds lasers. :lol

eznark

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
It does, i just deleted all that shit. And make sure you're editing the ini in my documents, not the games native directory.
Yeah I got it working, didn't save changes I made in the file the first time for some reason.

OK, strange. I just relaunched the game and it went right to the opening bus/credits cinematic and won't let me exit out of it? The hell?

BioNut

Banned
Hawkian said:
I suspected that! Windows firewall is a sneaky motherfucker. I have to add the ports I forwarded and try everything again, even though I did have fewer and fewer problems as the day went on I still couldn't host games (not the first game I've had trouble with, though).

I forwarded ports and disabled firewall and now can host at will. Sucks because my internet blows.

My friend, on the other hand, has God's internet connection or something but is to computer ignorant to fix his mic problems, let alone try to do troubleshoot router issues.

:lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
To make zoom a toggle (courtesy of Miker):
--------------------------------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:

Add the text below under [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]

Bindings=(Name="ZoomIn",Command="StartAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ZoomOut",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftT rigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False, bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="ZoomOut",Command="StopAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ZoomIn",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTr igger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,b IgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

Then, edit the preexisting RightMouseButton binding to reflect the change:

Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="advance dbutton bAdvancedButtonAux5",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt =False,LeftTrigger= False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnore Shift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

to

Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="ZoomIn" ,Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,Left

--
I think I like it the way it is though. This'd be like Crysis, but other games I've played since use the hold-to-zoom.

Another good one:
To enable scroll wheel in text boxes:
-----------------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini

Search for all instances of the following (there should only be two instances):

InputKeyName="MouseScrollUp",ModifierKeyFlags=42
InputKeyName="MouseScrollDown",ModifierKeyFlags=42

remove the ",ModifierKeyFlags=42" so they look like:

InputKeyName="MouseScrollUp"
InputKeyName="MouseScrollDown"

--

I actually haven't had any problems using my scroll, which is strange. But I'll enable this just in case there are any places I might run into it.

@Eznark, that happened the first time to me too, never happened again.

poweld

Will everyone who has a heart add my Gamespy tag? I have little to no idea how to work that piece. It's "poweld920".

Looking forward to edging in a little more of this tonight when I'm not being forced to play the L4D2 demo :D

d1gw33d

Neo Member
I don't know if you attempted this already or not but my friends and I were having no luck with multiplayer (connection time out) even with the suggested ports open... then we switched to a public game and viola, connects just fine.

Not sure what the deal is but it seems private games don't work...?

anybody wanna play? I feel like procrastinating.

d1gw33d said:
Here's a winning idea: ENABLE PUSH TO TALK.

This always on mic is little silly...

You think so? games like this where you're playing with the same group for hours really benefit from constant communication.

Firestorm

Dreavus said:
Played up to level 11 as Mordecai with a few friends, and holy shit, those Badass Skags are going to give me nightmares. We ran into 2 of them at once when we were all level 8 and we were all constantly running for lives.

Pretty fun game so far. Sniping is a bit difficult but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I maxed out the skill that reduces sniper sway and am currently leveling the bloodwing looting skill. I've only died once so far, and that was when my buddy drove the jeep I was in off a cliff where we were annihilated by the out-of-bounds lasers. :lol
I'm level 10. Everyone is like 20 already :( And yeah, those things were destroying us during our sunblade seeds or whatever quest. All over the freakin place @__@

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Another great one:

"Irritated by the toggle crouch? Add a momentary, like-any-other-FPS style crouch key with the two lines below, added to the bottom of the [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput] section of WillowInput.ini:

Code:
Bindings=(Name="Duck",Command="Button bDuck | Axis aUp Speed=-1.0 AbsoluteAxis=100")
Bindings=(Name="LeftControl",Command="Duck",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False"

This one I WILL be using. This way, LCTRL will be momentary crouch and c will still toggle crouch.

I have a level 32 Siren and I'm still using my level 16 Mercenary mod. Its just too awesome.

+40% SMG damage
+3 Quicksilver
+2 High Velocity
+24% Elemental effect chance

That +24% Elemental bonus is like having 6 more points in Spark. Looking at all the fire damage fly off Bruisers when I'm using my fire SMG is amazing.

Oh yeah, does Phoenix affect the fire damage inflicted by bullets or does it only affect the fire damage when an enemy catches fire by touching you?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Btw the tweak for zoom toggle above, if you DO use the right mouse button, breaks other things that use the right mouse (singleplayer vehicle guns, brick's right punch), so I recommend using another key or rebinding the regular right-click key in-game.

Philthy

God's Beard said:
You think so? games like this where you're playing with the same group for hours really benefit from constant communication.

That, and, most mics these days have their own push to talk/mute button on them. There is no need for push to talk for anything anymore.

procrastinator

Neo Member
God's Beard said:

They dont benefit from peoples cack mics spewing out static for hours on end.

poweld

Philthy said:
That, and, most mics these days have their own push to talk/mute button on them. There is no need for push to talk for anything anymore.
Mine doesn't. Maybe they could patch in an option? Options are nice.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
God's Beard said:

I hate talk always being on.

I don't need the whole world to know when my wife comes in and asks what I want to have for dinner or talks about something going on at work.

Philthy said:
What hand should I use for that? I don't want to have to reach over to my headset to turn it on or off. In TF2, I have the mic set to a thumb button on my mouse, I don't skip a beat turning that on or off on the fly.

Monroeski said:

I don't need the whole world to know when my wife comes in and asks what I want to have for dinner or talks about something going on at work.

so mute your own mic. Push to talk would be so friggin annoying in this game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hawkian said:
Another great one:

"Irritated by the toggle crouch? Add a momentary, like-any-other-FPS style crouch key with the two lines below, added to the bottom of the [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput] section of WillowInput.ini:

Code:
Bindings=(Name="Duck",Command="Button bDuck | Axis aUp Speed=-1.0 AbsoluteAxis=100")
Bindings=(Name="LeftControl",Command="Duck",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False"

This one I WILL be using. This way, LCTRL will be momentary crouch and c will still toggle crouch.
Nice. Definitely want to use this one.

Am I the only person that uses the F key for crouch? C or LCTRL just feels awkward to me though those are usually the defaults. A little weird to reach for plus you likely have to take a finger off of wasd when you do it. I much prefer using my free index finger.

Monroeski said:

What hand should I use for that? I don't want to have to reach over to my headset to turn it on or off. In TF2, I have the mic set to a thumb button on my mouse, I don't skip a beat turning that on or off on the fly.

You're too lazy to hit a button on your mic when your wife comes in. That's what you're complaining about? The 18 inches between your hand and ear? If you don't want us to hear your conversations, take the thing off. Press T to Talk.

Zzoram

I think I just got hit by a serious bug. I am entering The Backdoor for the first time and its taken 10 minutes to load but still isn't done. I've never had a load take even half this long all game.

Single player, ps3 version

I'm scared to reboot while its stuck on the loading, but what else can I do?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
God's Beard said:
You're too lazy to hit a button on your mic when your wife comes in. That's what you're complaining about? The 18 inches between your hand and ear? If you don't want us to hear your conversations, take the thing off. Press T to Talk.
It's not about lazy, it's about not wanting to take a break in the action to move my finger off the keyboard to find and hit the mute button. If I'm in the middle of a firefight I'm not going to take the time to take my headset off and set it somewhere that people can't hear what's going on. Push to talk is superior in every way imo, though I guess if you don't have the thumb button on your mouse I could see why you wouldn't like it (though practically every mouse I've seen that isn't $5 or a prebuilt PC pack in has those buttons).

That's like saying I'm lazy for using ctrl-c and ctrl-v instead of moving the mouse up to edit->copy and edit->paste.

And your solution for me not wanting to even take a break from the action long enough to hit mute on my headset is to use T to talk and type out the entire message? :lol

Kydd BlaZe

RubxQub said:
This is pretty much a byproduct of the Unreal Engine 3. Every online game that I can think of that uses the engine has this problem. "Bullet lag" is especially apparent, and much much worse in the Gears of War series.

Top Bottom