• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Teknoman

Snuggler said:
No, co-op is better but it also works for me as a single player game. It's still fun for me, sometimes (like last night) I prefer to just go solo and do things my way.

P.S. Looks like PC Borderlands has taken over the thread so I'll have to go somewhere else to talk about the actual game.

Hey we talk about the game too...

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Snuggler said:
P.S. Looks like PC Borderlands has taken over the thread so I'll have to go somewhere else to talk about the actual game.

Because they aren't talking about the game...

Teknoman

Issue: (PC) Users experiencing difficulty connecting to multiplayer games
Frequency: Moderate

Issue: (PC) Occasional freezing when accessing the server browser
Frequency: Low

At least the issues are being worked on.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
_tetsuo_ said:
Because they aren't talking about the game...
Well, seems like most of the talk over the last few pages is about voice chat (ahem), ini fixes, etc., which all have basically no value to a console player.

Of course, that's not to say we wouldn't be talking about the gameplay more if somebody introduced a topic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The server browser thing (not that I really want to play public games) has a weird fix that seems to work from the Gearbox forums: highlight it with the mouse and press enter a bunch of times.

I've seen plenty of talk about the game on the last two pages, even some screenshots. The PC version JUST came out. Sheesh, let people get acclimated.

Teknoman

Hawkian said:
The server browser thing (not that I really want to play public games) has a weird fix that seems to work from the Gearbox forums: highlight it with the mouse and press enter a bunch of times.

Eh I dont care about public games when it comes to co-op these days. Its just good to know they are actually trying to get things straightened out quickly. As for gameplay, i'll probably be posting battle stories/ non-spoiler screenshots.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, I found an orange Combat Rifle last night. No elemental attached, and each individual bullet is kinda weak (67-70), but it has 104 in the clip, without buffs like Overload.

It's so satisfying to fire with total impunity. :lol

HBP

Damn, I had zero interest in this until I watched TRS. Is it really that similar to Fallout 3? That might be my favorite game ever.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hawkian said:
How did you get this to stick? Anytime I sprint or some other things (I think even using iron sights, making your comment puzzling) resets it back to 60.

90 is my preference too.
I don't know. I just added the lines to the ini, then restarted the game.

Pctx

Banned
Just took on
Sledge
this morning as a level 16. Between my Epic revolver, sniper rifle and bloodwing.... he lasted maybe 2 mins.

Just finished that quest and now I'm debating on whether or not I want to do the other quests around the area or not.

I think I will just to stretch the game out a bit and find more phat lewts. :D

Drek

HBP said:
Damn, I had zero interest in this until I watched TRS. Is it really that similar to Fallout 3? That might be my favorite game ever.
The good parts of Fallout 3, cruising around a post-apoc world killing bandits and grabbing tons of loot.

The only bad part it retains is the crap main storyline. The art direction, looting system, diversity of weapons, etc. are all much better.

Character progression isn't as deep and the game isn't as open ended or filled with as many side quests, but its still fun.

Imagine Halo sized game maps chained together (and you can backtrack) with towns serving as hubs, with similar FPS gameplay to Halo (big floaty jumps and the like). Then add a leveling system about as complex as Bioshock, and a procedural weapons generating system that matches up with the average PC hack n' loot (Diablo style games). Put on a cel-shaded graphics engine and a post-apoc setting more akin to The Road Warrior than Fallout (open deserts with vehicular combat).

That is Borderlands in a nutshell, and it is more than the sum of its parts in my opinion.

HBP said:
more like fallout three light in the quest aspect of it, but COD4 shooting and a loot system that makes up for crappy quests. the better way of thinking of it is hellgate london, but good.

Pctx said:
Just took on
Sledge
this morning as a level 16. Between my Epic revolver, sniper rifle and bloodwing.... he lasted maybe 2 mins.

Just finished that quest and now I'm debating on whether or not I want to do the other quests around the area or not.

I think I will just to stretch the game out a bit and find more phat lewts. :D

Sledge
was so hard for me.. Not sure why.. :(

I mean his shield was easy to break down with my thunder hawk but the space was so confined that I had issues manuevering and dodging him.

Firestorm

Snuggler said:
No, co-op is better but it also works for me as a single player game. It's still fun for me, sometimes (like last night) I prefer to just go solo and do things my way.

Because nobody was talking about the broken online when the game came out on consoles...

TuxBobble

Anyone level 10 or below wanna get a game going tonight on the PS3 version?

I made a Hunter and a Soldier--Hunter is ~10 Soldier is only ~5 I think. But all the online games I've joined have had lvl 20+ people in them for some reason...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
HBP said:

The big thing is that all the combat is up to your skill, and doesn't rely on dice rolls at all (the way it should be!) All your skills buff your raw ability. Nothing you DO is based on stats. Stats merely augment what you do.

garath

Workaround for FOV resetting itself? Bind it to the forward key.

From the official forums PC Tweaks thread:

Bindings=(Name="E",Command="MoveForward | Axis aGas Speed=+1.0 | FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigge r=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgno reShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PedroLumpy said:
Oh shit, you guys hurt his feelings.
Yeah, guys, I can barely hold back the tears.
It's not a big deal, but I guess I came off like a bitch in that post. I'm just saying that in a perfect world, we'd have separate threads for console/PC for these types of games since most of the discussion is about technical stuff for the PC version or whatever.

Firestorm

Could someone take a screenshot of the difference between the default FOV and 90? Is this more an issue for 16:10 monitors? I'm using a 23" 1920x1080 screen.

Swag

Firestorm said:
Could someone take a screenshot of the difference between the default FOV and 90? Is this more an issue for 16:10 monitors? I'm using a 23" 1920x1080 screen.

I posted the difference a couple pages back, or go to my post history should be there.

This game is so addictive, was playing with a full party yesterday and it was amazing, Brick is great I wonder why people don't play him more often. Is there a safe type thing where I can store items I can't use yet but want to keep for later? I hate having only about 5-6 slots because I'm carrying things I'm saving for later levels.

Btw anyone wanna play now :lol ?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
garath said:
Workaround for FOV resetting itself? Bind it to the forward key.

From the official forums PC Tweaks thread:

Bindings=(Name="E",Command="MoveForward | Axis aGas Speed=+1.0 | FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigge r=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgno reShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

...that may have been the most brilliant thing I have ever heard anyone suggest about anything ever.

The way you have there won't bind it to the "e" key though? Don't I want it to be W?

From work I applied this tweak and a couple others, and bought a Razer gaming mouse off a coworker (had it lying in his desk, wtf) for $15, I am ready to game tonight.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
TurtleSnatcher said:
Sledge

I mean his shield was easy to break down with my thunder hawk but the space was so confined that I had issues manuevering and dodging him.
This sounds like something I will have trouble with if I'm concentrating on sniping and accuracy. Level 10 and I haven't put any points into anything but that far left column on my hunter.

Guess I'll have to make sure I'm playing co-op for that mission?

Teknoman

Heh I need to catch up in SP mode. Been playing in co-op with others that are a little ahead of me. Still havent killed Nine-toes on my own.

thetrin

Insaniac said:
looking for some xbox gaffers who want to friend up because none of my friends are buying this game (shame)

My tag is Intrinsic. You can add me if you'd like. I play with my friends mostly, and we're all at 28-30, but you're welcome to join us!

KAP151

TurtleSnatcher said:
Sledge

If you really are having trouble you can just
go back outside towards the vending machines.The door will open up for a few seconds each time giving you enough time to pop in a few head shot crits if you are good enough. Even if he does hit you, you can simply sit there and recharge while the doors are down. Easy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Teknoman said:
Heh I need to catch up in SP mode. Been playing in co-op with others that are a little ahead of me. Still havent killed Nine-toes on my own.

Me neither!!! Do it with meeee!

Insaniac

thetrin said:
My tag is Intrinsic. You can add me if you'd like. I play with my friends mostly, and we're all at 28-30, but you're welcome to join us!

sent u a FR, gt TheLintendo, i've got a 25 siren and a 26 hunter

Should change the title to more BUGS than the population of the Netherlands by the state of affairs on the game's official forums.

What happened Gearbox?

stupei

Little help, GAF.

I was going to hold off on getting this until I'd rented it, got more of a feel for whether or not it's my thing, but I've got a friend coming over a few times over the next few weeks and we were looking to play a few things co-op so I was thinking I might pick it up in the Best Buy sale. She's not at all a hardcore gamer, though. I mean, she really enjoyed playing Gears and a few other shooters, but she won't be very into the RPG customization aspects, I think. (Can't stand turn-based combat, for instance.) How big of a part does that play in enjoyment?

stupei said:
Little help, GAF.

I was going to hold off on getting this until I'd rented it, got more of a feel for whether or not it's my thing, but I've got a friend coming over a few times over the next few weeks and we were looking to play a few things co-op so I was thinking I might pick it up in the Best Buy sale. She's not at all a hardcore gamer, though. I mean, she really enjoyed playing Gears and a few other shooters, but she won't be very into the RPG customization aspects, I think. (Can't stand turn-based combat, for instance.) How big of a part does that play in enjoyment?

It's nothing remotely like turn based rpg. It's a straight up shooter where you manage what guns you have, and a few bonuses through skill trees that couldn't be easier to manage. If she liked gears I would wager heavily that she'll enjoy this.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
stupei said:
Little help, GAF.

How big of a part does that play in enjoyment?

You can, for the most part, ignore the RPG aspects and play it like any other shooter. I play co-op shooters with the girlfriend, but she couldn't care less about the RPG stuff, so I'll be building a 2nd character thats already got some good upgrades and gear so she doesn't have to do any of that stuff.

Mikey Jr.

Anyone wish that there was some control on who gets what loot with a timer on it? I mean, I can't even look at the guns stats with someone grabbing it up in like 2 seconds.

Dipper145

Hawkian said:
The way you have there won't bind it to the "e" key though? Don't I want it to be W?
Yeah use W if you use WASD, lots of people used ESDF instead of WASD because it offers more accessible keys near it for extra commands.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Hey look another TheSeks post trolling the developer and the game.

Great..

*Goes on to read the rest of the thread*

:lol Trolling because it's true?

Halo PC port had bugs.

This has bugs out the ass.

Every Gearbox release is loaded with bugs that have to be patch, what else is new?

Dead

well not really...yet
Sledge
was a total pushover. I had more trouble with the Moe skag :lol

I wish there was some kind of storage unit in the game. I hate getting rid of some particular guns. Even though ill never use them again I still like hoarding them :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TurtleSnatcher said:
Hey look another TheSeks post trolling the developer and the game.

Great..

*Goes on to read the rest of the thread*

At least give him credit for beating the game, from what I've seen of his posts he actually played through the game and gave it a chance, you can't say that about most of the people accused of trolling around here. I'm loving Borderlands so far, but I can't deny that it has a lot of bugs, especially considering that it was delayed for a significant amount of time.

So should I take the lack of a prior response to mean that no one on GAF plays the PS3 version? Sad is me...
I could be wrong, but it seems to be split somewhat evenly between 360 and PS3, I'm a fellow PS3 player so you're not alone.

TuxBobble

Snuggler said:
I'm loving Borderlands so far, but I can't deny that it has a lot of bugs, especially considering that it was delayed for a significant amount of time.

Same for me. Honestly, it's an awesome game, but yesterday I was sniping over the edge of a cliff. The enemy AI isn't great so I figured "oh, it's stuck below me and can't find the path up". So I dropped my scope for a second, and BAM! The little thing about 100 feet directly below me pounced up at me and hit me in the face.

Granted, he was still weak and did very little damage. But man, it scared the crap out of me for a second, haha. Did NOT expect it.

Edit: So should I take the lack of a prior response to mean that no one on GAF plays the PS3 version? Sad is me...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aye, Seks is an odd case:

TheSeks said:
Borderlands looks boring as fuck

This is one of my problems with the game, besides the characters and boring combat.

I really don't get the GOTY comments. Nothing about the game screams "BEST GAME ALL YEAR" to me. Most of the elements have been done before and I'm getting WAY burned out

DING: Level 50 and 1000gs/Platinum for me. w00t.

...:lol

EDIT: Tux... you really need to see the coop thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376538

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I've been basically just using SMGs and Sniper Rifles so far (as a Hunter). Anybody have a recommendation for a different setup, or should this be fine?
Dead said:
Sledge

I wish there was some kind of storage unit in the game. I hate getting rid of some particular guns. Even though ill never use them again I still like hoarding them :(
No kidding. Storage units should be a requirement for all loot games.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy WOW this is a great game.
Just got to about level 7.

Dead said:
Sledge

Skagzilla was a Big pain
:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom