• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

glaurung

valentine71 said:
It worths it. Some great DLC and damn fine coop action.
I know, but I played the game and most of the DLC through and through on PS3 when it was first released. Even got the platinum trophy IIRC, but not all of the DLC trophies.

Might grab it if I can wrangle up some sturdy friends for coop.

benjipwns

Banned
glaurung said:
Sucks that the EU price for the GotY edition of Borderlands comes up to €12.50.

Still relatively want it though.
What about the four pack? Might be able to find GAFers to go in on one with you, check the Steam thread for example.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Just played this for the first time at a friend's place a couple of days ago. I LOVE this game! Split screen co-op was a ball and a half.

Darkmakaimura

I would love more background story on the universe of Borderlands. It's really left wide open. For instance, why is Pandora such a shithole when the humans have the ability to travel the stars? What's the rest of the universe like? Earth? I would love for them to open more up in the sequel(s).

benjipwns

Banned
There actually was a bunch of it but it got cut. The videos seem to have been taken off YouTube.

EDIT: Found a couple of them.
History of Pandora: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iko69crE6hk
Guide to Creatures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEUpFaGKn6E
And because it was in the results, an unused trailer that has a bit of a different vibe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-_M1WVBpc

If you want to read, there's plenty of the background stuff from the videos and guide on the Wiki: http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Pandora

Basically it's a planet where people came, exploited it through mining and stuff, shit went down, the climate changed, Crimson Lance invaded, etc. so everyone bailed out and what's left are the convict labor, vault hunters and people who have nowhere else to go.

Darkmakaimura

Yeah I have the wikia saved but it doesn't explain much. I'll have to check out those cut videos. I just assumed Pandora and the Borderlands universe is in many ways similar to the Riddick one - spaceships and aliens, but dark and gritty nonetheless.

Weenerz

Banned
Plan on playing solo, are there any packs out there with a collection of hacked guns? Like repeaters that shoot rockets and stuff.

OMG!!!! I just started playing this game a few days ago after it had been sitting on my backlog of games to play and I'm blown away by it!!!!

I don't know but I love everything about it. The leveling up, the guns, the graphics, the gameplay!!! What a fool I've been not playing this all this time!!!

I've even been dreaming about the game!!!

Well done Gearbox, you have blown me away!!! ^_^

edit: yeah yeah, i know LTTP etc etc.... :p

KarmaCow

So I picked up the DLC packs and noticed that General Knoxx doesn't scale up on playthrough 2. Is this normal because that doesn't make much sense when everything else does.

And is there really no way to get the extra SDU from the broken claptraps if you didn't alt-f4'd when they didn't give one as a reward? Again, really dumb if that's true.

bigace33

This game reminds me so much of Fallout 3 except it's much better. Don't get me wrong, Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time, I put over 90 hours into it, but Borderlands takes the concept and just fleshes it out more as far as the action goes. This is a seriously underrated gem.

Askani

Is the multiplayer lobby/setup stuff still horribly broken on PC? I loved the game but I refused to buy any of the DLC because of how much trouble I had getting the MP stuff set up. If it's been fixed or cleaned up some...I might be persuaded.

Picked up the GOTY yesterday, have already played thru the main quest twice when it came out but haven't touched the dlc

Any 360 GAF players that want to co-op this I play late at night, roughly 3 am EST, but probably won't be playing until after portal 2 and the GoW3 beta

Raide

KarmaCow said:
So I picked up the DLC packs and noticed that General Knoxx doesn't scale up on playthrough 2. Is this normal because that doesn't make much sense when everything else does.

And is there really no way to get the extra SDU from the broken claptraps if you didn't alt-f4'd when they didn't give one as a reward? Again, really dumb if that's true.

There is a weird thing for the enemy scaling. On play-through 1, when you finish the main story from vanilla Borderlands, the start of play-through 2 will scale to that level. If you finish it again, when you start Knoxx etc, it will be scaled to your play-through 2 finish level. (Actually, you just need to enter the final level, not actually finish it)

Salsa

bigace33 said:
This game reminds me so much of Fallout 3 except it's much better. Don't get me wrong, Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time, I put over 90 hours into it, but Borderlands takes the concept and just fleshes it out more as far as the action goes. This is a seriously underrated gem.

I cant even begin to describe how completely different these games are except for MAYBE the setting, but ok :/

SalsaShark said:
I cant even begin to describe how completely different these games are except for MAYBE the setting, but ok :/

I wouldn't say they're completely different. They do have quite a bit in common, and most people who play both of the games make that connection. Fallout is a little heavier on the RPG systems and conversations, where Borderlands is faster and lighter with the quests and overall tone of the game. Guns and gunplay also play a larger role.

The setting is pretty different IMO, though.

bengraven

RTTP:

When we last left off my hero, she was in New Haven at lvl 26 after boosting her levels in the Zombie Island. Now she's back and dammit I'm madly in love again.

I don't know why I stopped playing: I think I just had some other games I wanted to finish up, like Dragon Age and then ended up buying Red Dead Redemption.

This is really Diablo meets a Halo-style sci-fi shooter. 3 million copies isn't enough for a game like this, it should have been massive. The art style is brilliant, I love the game's smug sardonic humor but seriously interpreted world. And multiplayer is so fucking addictive.

A fucking modern masterpiece.

Things that NEED to be in Borderlands 2:

- better chat interface
- better UI for PC PERIOD. There was no excuse for it.
- a few more styles of vehicles - i don't need a full-fledged plane, but maybe some motorcycles, ATV-style vehicles or light hovercrafts.
- a better NPC/quest interface - i would like to have a dialogue tree system maybe
- literally everything else is perfect for me.

Raide

bengraven said:
RTTP:

When we last left off my hero, she was in New Haven at lvl 26 after boosting her levels in the Zombie Island. Now she's back and dammit I'm madly in love again.

I don't know why I stopped playing: I think I just had some other games I wanted to finish up, like Dragon Age and then ended up buying Red Dead Redemption.

This is really Diablo meets a Halo-style sci-fi shooter. 3 million copies isn't enough for a game like this, it should have been massive. The art style is brilliant, I love the game's smug sardonic humor but seriously interpreted world. And multiplayer is so fucking addictive.

- better chat interface
- a few more styles of vehicles - i don't need a full-fledged plane, but maybe some motorcycles, ATV-style vehicles or light hovercrafts.
- a better NPC/quest interface - i would like to have a dialogue tree system maybe

I have these moments where I don't care about Borderlands, then I go back and check it out again and get hooked.

Having a seamless world would be all kinds of awesome. I so wish you could use some of the other Vehicles all through the game. Having a plane to fly over the land and just bail out of, would be great fun.

I hope Gearbox talk about Borderlands 2 at E3. I need it in my life.

bengraven

Raide said:
I have these moments where I don't care about Borderlands, then I go back and check it out again and get hooked.

Having a seamless world would be all kinds of awesome. I so wish you could use some of the other Vehicles all through the game. Having a plane to fly over the land and just bail out of, would be great fun.

I hope Gearbox talk about Borderlands 2 at E3. I need it in my life.

Next to more footage of Skyrim, B2 is my most anticipated game of E3...if it's there. And please God let it be there.

And yeah, I agree with everything you said about getting hooked. I don't know about planes though. Feel like they might ruin the gameplay a bit. A weak hovercraft maybe.

bengraven

elrechazao said:
Is there any way to drop quests?

I don't think there is.

There should be though...I'm 26 doing "trivial" quests right now just to get up to the part in the game where the main quest takes off.

bengraven said:
I don't think there is.

There should be though...I'm 26 doing "trivial" quests right now just to get up to the part in the game where the main quest takes off.
it's really annoying me having vanilla quests from the original game showing up along with quests from the last dlc.

Enco

Bought two copies of the GOTY during the sale for around £7. Me and my friend have been having an amazing time.

Definitely one of the best games I've played. Especially amazing at that price.

B2 should be amazing. As long as it has a less static world (more physics and interaction), more vehicles and a truly open world with no loading.

Edit: homes to buy and store things in would be awesome too. Playing coop with each guy owning a house would be awesome.

Raide

elrechazao said:
it's really annoying me having vanilla quests from the original game showing up along with quests from the last dlc.

They only vanish when you go from Playthrough 1 to Playthrough 2. They really should add the option to abandon old quests. Though I tend to just get them done to drop them from the list. :D Easy at higher level.

PIMPBYBLUD said:
One of my most favorite games of last year! It better get a sequel.
They've been quiet on it too long for it to not already be in the works. I honestly expect a reveal at E3 and a release this winter. Need me some more arcade-y FPS Diablo ARPG online coop loot raiding goodness.

Ichabod

Banned
I have the GOTY version and I'm finishing up my first playthrough. Any suggestions on what order I should tackle my 2nd playthrough and DLCs? Also, whats the ideal point to start partying with players online?

benjipwns

Banned
Could just play them in release order. Except for Moxxi, just skip that, or only play the short tournament to get a taste of it.

Unless you want to play six straight hours or whatever it is of it.

After buying this and hoping my laptop would be up to snuff to play it as well as my ps3, then finding out it does, then finding out the beauty that is Mordecai with K+M... well .. 2 days later and level 35 is right around the corner.

Agree with everyone's sentiment about the addictive/take a break/re-addicted cycle with this game. Played through with Mord, Brick and was at 50 with the soldier before i finally stopped playing the PS3 version (and did new game plus on both my maxed level characters).

Borderlands 2 dream requests:
more than 4 people in a multiplayer match at once with LARGE battles out on the desert planes against roving bands of outlaws like in the first magazine previews of BL1.

I think a plane/helicopter/hovercraft style vehicle would be perfect if the world was seamless and a little bit larger. Make it available in the last 3rd of the game and it wouldn't be game breaking at all.. and taking a flight from the Crimson Lance base back to New Haven or Lucky's would have been a lot freakin cooler than teleporting (and air battles on the way ... Rack scum die!!)

the ability to tweak your weapons with parts. New stock, new chambers, new barrels and being able to take that favorite gun and add elemental damage or increase a X1 elemental damage up to 4... with time and $.

Give Mordecai a useful action skill. :p

standard... new/more characters. I love the range present in just the 4 available... but adding in a few more... maybe a beastmaster class, maybe a straight explosives/grenades style class ... re-focus brick or Mordecai to be just shotguns or sniper and introduce a rockets man and a true gunslinger....

I could go on forever... but only because i LOVE this bloody game so so much and have spent way ... WAY too much time thinking of the possibilities. And imaging myself as Mordecai as i walk through target.
*BAM* and then his head explodes and his body melts from the corrosive damage... AHAHHHHAAAAHAHAHHAAAA.....
"Sir you have to pay for those nachos."
"GET EM BOY!!"

KarmaCow

Raide said:
There is a weird thing for the enemy scaling. On play-through 1, when you finish the main story from vanilla Borderlands, the start of play-through 2 will scale to that level. If you finish it again, when you start Knoxx etc, it will be scaled to your play-through 2 finish level. (Actually, you just need to enter the final level, not actually finish it)

Yea I finished playthrough 2 and went to T-Bone Junction to start the general knoxx stuff but the initial quest was level 51 (I was ~59). I decided to just skip to the 4th dlc pack so maybe it changes once you actually fight something. The other DLC packs were scaled immediately though.

And speaking of the 4th dlc pack, those collecting achievements are terribad. No way to track your progress and it's completely random? What the fuck. Some great one liners from the claptraps though.

Meier

So I beat the Island of Dr. Ned (holy shit that was a LOT of content for DLC) and got all of the achievements. I was looking at the teleport list and didn't recognize Underdome so I went there and got to the boss of Round 4 and died so it was all for naught.. what a fucking pain. No exp, no weapons, just a waste of 45 minutes or so. Given the scoreboard at th end, I guess they want you to do it co-op so I'll have no choice but to try it again that way I suppose.

I know there are 2 other DLC so I'll have to figure out their names to do them first. I was hoping to get to level 50 before I went on playthrough 2 but that doesn't seem likely or possible so I may just bump it up the next time I play.

Edit: Holy shit at that steam price last week! I thought the $20 I paid for the 360 version was an insane deal.

So are there any good weapon chest runs in the last dlc? I've played for the last 20 levels without a single upgrade to my sweet orange defiler.

Salsa

Meier said:
So I beat the Island of Dr. Ned (holy shit that was a LOT of content for DLC)

really ? :/ well its the shortest one of all the DLCs. And to be honest i found it incredibly short.

AlmostMilk said:
Its on a separate disc. So if you buy the GOTY edition, you get the game with the DLC disc

Thanks for some reason I picked up the goty version on ps3 and it runs worse then I remember when I played it at launch on 360 and I have some people wanting to play on 360 so I might switch it.

damn that's nice

If anyone wants to start a new campaign I just reinstalled it last night... I would love to play with some GAF members... One of the main reasons I joined this site.

steam: kenshir0

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
bengraven said:
RTTP:

- better chat interface
Is the shooting strong enough to hold up on its own? Recent F2P's have made me wary. A lot of those were just Skinner box loot grinds wearing the skin of a competent genre title.

Top Bottom