• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hazaro said:
Yeesh, I don't know. Did you try a reinstall? Was your AV scanning or something like that?
I don't think my graphics card is even being used. I almost think Borderlands is trying to run the entire game using just my RAM, which isn't a good thing

A lot of the problems seem to be shader related, as far as I can tell, since I get a decent enough change when switching from dynamic shadows to static shadows. That, plus the most recent patch has gotten Borderlands to a playable state, but it's not pretty. I had a lot of fun and enjoyed the actual gameplay of it, but I wish it could look at least at medium settings.

Doing a search on Google seems to imply that this game just runs poorly for some people, and great for others.

I didn't try running it at a lower resolution, though. Maybe I can up the graphics quality a bit if I go down a few screen sizes. That worked when I wanted to get TF2 working on a pretty poor computer, and it ran super smooth just by downsizing the resolution.

Thanks for sending to me, though, so far, graphics problems aside, I really like the feeling of the game. If only I could get it to run better.

Rolf NB

About that GOTY edition.

If I'm not in the UK but elsewhere in Europe, and I import the UK GOTY edition, can I redeem the codes, and play all the new content? I have a UK store account at the ready. I want to play on my primary (not UK) account.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
balladofwindfishes said:
I don't think my graphics card is even being used. I almost think Borderlands is trying to run the entire game using just my RAM, which isn't a good thing

A lot of the problems seem to be shader related, as far as I can tell, since I get a decent enough change when switching from dynamic shadows to static shadows. That, plus the most recent patch has gotten Borderlands to a playable state, but it's not pretty. I had a lot of fun and enjoyed the actual gameplay of it, but I wish it could look at least at medium settings.

Doing a search on Google seems to imply that this game just runs poorly for some people, and great for others.

I didn't try running it at a lower resolution, though. Maybe I can up the graphics quality a bit if I go down a few screen sizes. That worked when I wanted to get TF2 working on a pretty poor computer, and it ran super smooth just by downsizing the resolution.

Thanks for sending to me, though, so far, graphics problems aside, I really like the feeling of the game. If only I could get it to run better.
It seems really odd, but try locking your PCI-E at 100 or 101Mhz on the BIOS. It shouldn't matter since the other games run fine though...

well I'll be...

I was thinking "nah, bloom doesn't take that much to do, and even if the textures are bad, I want some flare" so I left it on.

But as one last attempt, I turned off bloom. Honest to god, the game runs perfect now, and I can even bump everything up to medium with no hurt in performance.

Bloom can't be that graphically intensive, oh well, it runs fine now, and I can easily live without bloom

hitoshi

I need a little help.

On Friday I've decided that i'll finish Claptrap's Revolution: i bought it on day one but there were not patches back than so i give up because it was boring without XP. I've finished it fine with my mate, I've gotten to lvl 63 (soldier) - here is my problem.

I've started hosting a game for my friend, trying to tie up every knots left behind in Knoxx (Playthrough 2): but EVERY, i mean EVERY enemy has been scaled up to at least lvl 63 - most of them are lvl65 and I really really have problems with even killing one, not to mention the whole Knoxx army. They drop XP for sure, but it's nearly unplayable.

The strange part: yesterday I've joined into several random games, most of the hosts were level 69, playing Knoxx, Playthrough 2, yet they've had lvl 54 enemies and they dropped only 19 XPs.

What in the hell? Am i experiencing a bug, is my game broken, how can this happen? I mean, how can it be harder for me on lvl63 than for the lvl69 guys...?

hitoshi said:
I need a little help.

On Friday I've decided that i'll finish Claptrap's Revolution: i bought it on day one but there were not patches back than so i give up because it was boring without XP. I've finished it fine with my mate, I've gotten to lvl 63 (soldier) - here is my problem.

I've started hosting a game for my friend, trying to tie up every knots left behind in Knoxx (Playthrough 2): but EVERY, i mean EVERY enemy has been scaled up to at least lvl 63 - most of them are lvl65 and I really really have problems with even killing one, not to mention the whole Knoxx army. They drop XP for sure, but it's nearly unplayable.

The strange part: yesterday I've joined into several random games, most of the hosts were level 69, playing Knoxx, Playthrough 2, yet they've had lvl 54 enemies and they dropped only 19 XPs.

What in the hell? Am i experiencing a bug, is my game broken, how can this happen? I mean, how can it be harder for me on lvl63 than for the lvl69 guys...?
I have the same problem in my game. In the last patch, Gearbox changed enemy levels to scale to your level past 50. I think this is triggered if you're on the last quest on playthrough 2. Most of the enemies are at least one level higher and bosses are two levels higher. I can't make a dent on the final boss with my guns and I don't feel like grinding. Gearbox basically took all my motivation away from playing this game.

I think my game is glitched.

I'm trying to finish playthough 2. I get to the last boss and he's scaled 2 levels higher than me. I was level 53 and he was level 55. I leveled up to 54 and he became level 56. Is this suppose to happen? I thought the main game was capped at level 51.

I went to kill the Rakk Hive. His name was Ultimate Rakk Hive even though I haven't completed playthrough 2. When he tried to shake Rakks out, nothing came out. I stood on the cliff and killed him easily. He was also scaled 2 levels above me.

hitoshi

marathonfool said:
I have the same problem in my game. In the last patch, Gearbox changed enemy levels to scale to your level past 50. I think this is triggered if you're on the last quest on playthrough 2. Most of the enemies are at least one level higher and bosses are two levels higher. I can't make a dent on the final boss with my guns and I don't feel like grinding. Gearbox basically took all my motivation away from playing this game.

Bonus: my last two Knoxx missions got glitched - i am supposed to get back to the armory for Marcus for two cleanups. I've reached it but the "countdown started" mission objective didn't got fulfilled, despite the fact the countdown started. And now i cant even go back to the loot area because the door is permanently sealed.

I can't find words how angry i am because of all the bugs 2010 games gave to me. Nice present, really.

Ploid 3.0

Question, I just opened up the playthrough 3 thing and the first thing I did was head to Gen Knoxx to get some awesome exp. Turns out that exp is the same, and the enemies are the same level. Are the expansions not part of the bonus difficulty for this playthrough?

This game is annoying me. I'm spending more time trying to find challenge solo than finding cool loot, or being within a inch of my life in this game.

Ourobolus

Banned
hitoshi said:
Bonus: my last two Knoxx missions got glitched - i am supposed to get back to the armory for Marcus for two cleanups. I've reached it but the "countdown started" mission objective didn't got fulfilled, despite the fact the countdown started. And now i cant even go back to the loot area because the door is permanently sealed.

I can't find words how angry i am because of all the bugs 2010 games gave to me. Nice present, really.
To get past that you have to join a game where someone is one the Super-Marcus Sweep or It's Like Christmas mission, and have them complete it normally. I had that happen to me when a buddy of mine wanted to farm chests and he went to close to the triggering point.

So I just got this game for my PS3 yesterday and I must say I'm enjoying it! I do however have a few questions the way this game is 'supposed to be played'.

I started a Soldier (which is lvl 12 now) and am continually having trouble when dealing with multiple enemies, especially when they're of a similar or higher level than me. No matter how many bullets I pump into these enemies, I still find myself dying way to easy.. I think it's the fact my shield depletes way faster than I can respond..

What tactic should I go about, when facing multiple enemies? What's the optimal use of my turret, it doesn't seem that strong to me..

Thanks!

orion434

hitoshi said:

Does anyone know what I'd need to "avoid" so I do not get said glitch? I'm finishing up all of the Knoxx missions and don't want to have to start another character to get the Achievement for all missions complete.

Played a bit of Zombie Island and Knoxx DLC. So far I give Zombie Island a 9/10 and Knoxx 0/10. Zombie island has an different and interesting setting compared to the main game. The zombies are fun to kill and the travel is manageable. I'm pretty interested in the story as well.

Knoxx is garbage. They made the vehicles the central part of the DLC. Whoever made the decision to put these locations 10 miles apart forcing you to travel between them on long boring highways should be fired. Wouldn't be a big deal except there's no fast travel. The enemies are somehow 5 levels beneath me when every other section of the game (including Zombie Island) are one level above. The loot is still crappy. The new vehicles still control awful. Where the hell is Moxxi? I get a message she has new missions for me and I can't find her on the map.

By continuing to play this game, all the faults start to peel at your enjoyment of the gunplay. It's a shallow experience with blatant flaws that is loosely held together by co-op and gunplay. Can't believe how bad the vehicles are in this game.

I rented this game before but wasn't impressed. I have come to realize that was simply because I was in a mutliplayer phase at that point and didn't give it a fair shot. I want to rebuy it and while I'm aware there's tons of reviews (usually worthless) and pages to read I'd rather ask since I have to go study - is the campaign worth experiencing or is it a typical "shoot everything!" campaign with some leveling up thrown into the mix?

Haeleos

jonnybryce said:
is the campaign worth experiencing or is it a typical "shoot everything!" campaign with some leveling up thrown into the mix?

I was really apprehensive about this game due to how puerile the humor and characters were, based on the trailers and marketing, but I finally broke down and picked it up for something like $6 in a steam sale and gifted it to a couple of my friends.

It makes me pine for the FPS games of the 90s where the story aspects were relegated to a paragraph at the front of a manual. I get the feeling that this game's story was written completely after they created the content for it, as nothing that happens in game really supports it or is specific to the narrative. The game redeems itself through it's co-op, the loot whoring aspect and it's visuals but I would say the campaign (by which I take it you mean the summary of story/quests, dialogue, characters and pacing) are not the main attraction for me.

My friends and I have a blast each time we play it, but I think if I asked them what the story was so far, they would draw a blank. It all seems very last minute, half-assed, and filled with bad humor for it to be taken seriously outside of the run and gun/RPG-lite aspects. It's a fun game, and if I only played games that impressed me on a storytelling level, I could count them on one hand.

Oh man. That's interesting and very discouraging. I wouldn't really have anyone to play it with, I'd be picking it up for single player exclusively. I was hoping it would have some unique tricks up its sleeve or an enjoyable campaign but if it's story is MIA or isn't anything special than I can skip it. FPSes aren't hard to find and I've played plenty of fun rides where nothing really happens. Looking for a bit more and thought an RPG FPS would have that. Guess not?

I downloaded the trial on PS3 so I can revisit it for an hour. I'll see how that goes.

marathonfool said:
Played a bit of Zombie Island and Knoxx DLC. So far I give Zombie Island a 9/10 and Knoxx 0/10. Zombie island has an different and interesting setting compared to the main game. The zombies are fun to kill and the travel is manageable. I'm pretty interested in the story as well.

Knoxx is garbage. They made the vehicles the central part of the DLC. Whoever made the decision to put these locations 10 miles apart forcing you to travel between them on long boring highways should be fired. Wouldn't be a big deal except there's no fast travel. The enemies are somehow 5 levels beneath me when every other section of the game (including Zombie Island) are one level above. The loot is still crappy. The new vehicles still control awful. Where the hell is Moxxi? I get a message she has new missions for me and I can't find her on the map.

By continuing to play this game, all the faults start to peel at your enjoyment of the gunplay. It's a shallow experience with blatant flaws that is loosely held together by co-op and gunplay. Can't believe how bad the vehicles are in this game.
I agree Knoxx really became a chore to play because of those long strips of highway, which basically serve as boring filler to get to the mission areas. Gearbox really needs to patch in some fast travel points. I don't find the vehicle controls that bad, though (i'm playing on PC FWIW). They took a little while to get used to, but they became second nature after a while.

Of all the DLC Zombie Island has been my favourite as well. It's actually probably my favourite area in the whole game.

jkanownik

DeVeAn said:
I saw the vanilla version for about $18. Is the the goty version still the way to go?

Yes. Even if you are unsure if you want the DLC you can just hold onto the codes and sell them later if you end up not liking the game.

larvi

I started playing the GOTY edition over the Christmas holidays and just got the 1750 achievements points for it last weekend. Took me a couple of days of dying before I managed to finally kill crawmerax solo for the last achievement.

The DLC was definitely a mixed bag. The story lines and premise were enjoyable for the most part in them but they all got pretty repetative (especially Underdome). I'm glad I didn't pay separately for them. One tip is if you are having a problem with the level scaling is to go back to playthrough 1 and go through them there. I played through them as part of my 1st playthough and the enemies were manageable (except for crawmerax).

rayner said:
Does anyone know what I'd need to "avoid" so I do not get said glitch? I'm finishing up all of the Knoxx missions and don't want to have to start another character to get the Achievement for all missions complete.

Per this achivement guide:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=216098

When you are doing the armory assualt mission observer the following:
GLITCH WARNING: In order to avoid your game glitching and making the Armory permanently closed, you must do the following:
- Do not quit out of the game once you enter the elevator shaft. Wait until the Armory explodes and the credits are done to quit out.
- Don't have the quests "Super Marcus Sweep" or "It's Like Christmas" in your quest log.

Just played the PS3 hour trial. Love the graphics, hate the "read mission text, accept mission, run to mission, do mission, run back to tell person you did mission" setup. The rpg-ness in a FPS is fun and the first skill I got was cool (turning invisible and running really fast). It comes off (at best) as a fun game and repetitive soulless fetch quest FPS (at work). It's not shouting "original! fresh! must play experience!" at me. I have no shortage of simply fun games. I was hoping for something really unique feeling or a great story. I will pass.

Played the 3 smaller tournaments in the Moxxi DLC. By far the worst DLC content I have ever played. Not even challenging or fun. Just boring. Feel sorry for anyone who paid $10 for an inventory bank. The extra skill points aren't worth it since you'll have plenty of skill points at level 69.

The concept was good for co-op arena. The execution couldn't have been worse.

I just did the same on pc yesterday and I must admit that I was beginning to enjoy it. It does take ages to get into but I like the fact it's their version of Firefight.

Doing the major tournaments is going to be hard though.

jonnybryce said:
Just played the PS3 hour trial. Love the graphics, hate the "read mission text, accept mission, run to mission, do mission, run back to tell person you did mission" setup. The rpg-ness in a FPS is fun and the first skill I got was cool (turning invisible and running really fast). It comes off (at best) as a fun game and repetitive soulless fetch quest FPS (at work). It's not shouting "original! fresh! must play experience!" at me. I have no shortage of simply fun games. I was hoping for something really unique feeling or a great story. I will pass.

I think you're being a little reductive but in essence you're not wrong about the game.

I would thoroughly recommend that you play the game; it's pretty cheap in the UK, I'm sure it must be the same in the US. Co-op especially, it's a truly great game.

orion434

Trying to finish up the Underdome for my 1750/1750, and these 20 Round battles are a bitch! Is there anything I can do to NOT have them take 2 & 1/2 hours? Even playing through splitscreen to make the enemies lv 12 I almost died on Round 19 when Moxxi decided to give me Naked + Vampire in the same wave!

Also where the hell are these Pearlessence Weapons? I killed Crawmerax twice and nada!

rayner said:
Trying to finish up the Underdome for my 1750/1750, and these 20 Round battles are a bitch! Is there anything I can do to NOT have them take 2 & 1/2 hours? Even playing through splitscreen to make the enemies lv 12 I almost died on Round 19 when Moxxi decided to give me Naked + Vampire in the same wave!

Also where the hell are these Pearlessence Weapons? I killed Crawmerax twice and nada!

Here's some info on pearlescents. http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Pearlescent

I've killed crawmerax about 50 times without getting a pearlescent drop. The one I did get in a random drop came from a "badass"-type enemy (i think). I got lucky and had someone clone all of their pearlescent equipment for me on xbox. I'd have no problem doing the same for you (although it does kill some of the fun) if you want.

GT: blackMamba187

D_N_G

rayner said:

I think my first pearlescent was after 100 or so Craw kills, and my second was around 150. If you keep at it (over and over and over again), they will show up, but can be hard to miss if you have too many drops on the field.

bj00rn_

Banned
Oh wow, it was unusually hard to get going in this game, don't know why but I hated the first couple of hours, it was so so boring and frustrating. Didn't find the run button either, LOL.. But then I started to get it, and now I'm having a great gaming experience. I still don't quite like the cel-shading style, but the game is good, no doubt about that - Now.

Raide

bj00rn_ said:
Oh wow, it was unusually hard to get going in this game, don't know why but I hated the first couple of hours, it was so so boring and frustrating. Didn't find the run button either, LOL.. But then I started to get it, and now I'm having a great gaming experience. I still don't quite like the cel-shading style, but the game is good, no doubt about that - Now.

Yeah, it does take a few hours. Once you get into the 20's, the skills and specials actually make combat more interesting. Always seems like a chore as you head to 20+. :D

I am pleasantly surprised right now. I bought the GOTY edition used. 17 bucks. And I thought I would get now DLC. But wow, it is on the disc! I have it. All 4 of them. Awesome:)

Raide

Game2Death said:
I am pleasantly surprised right now. I bought the GOTY edition used. 17 bucks. And I thought I would get now DLC. But wow, it is on the disc! I have it. All 4 of them. Awesome:)

Welcome Aboard! The DLC + the latest patch makes it all the more awesome. I do love the atmosphere and change of scenery in the Dr.Neds stuff, plus having new monsters to shoot is always fun. :D

If you have some friends with it, fire up Co-op and have a great laugh.

Raide said:
Welcome Aboard! The DLC + the latest patch makes it all the more awesome. I do love the atmosphere and change of scenery in the Dr.Neds stuff, plus having new monsters to shoot is always fun. :D

If you have some friends with it, fire up Co-op and have a great laugh.
Can't wait! :) I bought this and Red dead for my Ps3 and COD:3 for my 360. I decided on this first.

bj00rn_

Banned
Raide said:
Yeah, it does take a few hours. Once you get into the 20's, the skills and specials actually make combat more interesting. Always seems like a chore as you head to 20+. :D

Yup, it's really taking off now, and I've now hit the "just a little bit more"-phase, making me ending up with only 3 hours of sleep before going to work today..... I definately feel in the zone with the game, and I love the experience. Even what I felt was annoying and excessive enemy respawning in the start is fine now. I'm not so much onboard with the vehicles though..... That's the only bit I've really disliked so far.

Raide

bj00rn_ said:
Yup, it's really taking off now, and I've now hit the "just a little bit more"-phase, making me ending up with only 3 hours of sleep before going to work today..... I definately feel in the zone with the game, and I love the experience. Even what I felt was annoying and excessive enemy respawning in the start is fine now. I'm not so much onboard with the vehicles though..... That's the only bit I've really disliked so far.

If you're on your own, the rocket car is the best overall but there are times that the machine-gun car is better. They do take a while to nail but you only have to use them a few times to actually progress (killing vehicle bandits etc). They are just quicker travelling tools really.

If you play co-op, both having a vehicle is a good idea. If you share one, you loose the lock-on feature for the weapons. The bonus of 2 is that is one dies miles away, he has the option to spawn into your car, handy for those annoying WTF deaths.

Once you hit Knoxx, you get some new toys to play with and it makes things much more interesting. Especially if you co-op. Makes things much easier, since Knoxx is damn massive and has loads of travelling in it.

Game2Death said:
Yepp...ps3 just got YLOD with the game in it.. :(60gb..fuck..

Fuuuuuuuu! :(

damn that's nice

Replaying Borderlands was still really fun. It's just a shame that the Mad Moxxi and Claptrap's New Robot Revolution are such terrible expansions. The game is also too easy. Taking down General Knoxx at level 60 was easier than killing Nine-Toes at level 5.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Today I spotted BL:GotY Edition (360) marked down to $19.99 @ K-Mart! :O

I don't know if this was a pricing error or not, but GET ON IT!
Is this the 2-disc version? I was reading on the official forums that the disc/dlc package was replaced with an all disc version.
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=116654&page=6

pics
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=116654&page=14

that might be the old one at k-mart?
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=118217
Well got in contact with Liz over at 2K and she said that the sellers are still in a transition phase on there stock of the game

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I played this for the first time today. My God it's awesome! I can't believe I missed it when it was first released. Having a problem deciding whether to get it for PC or PS3...

Will it work well with my 7950GT at 1440x900?

Raide

RoaringHawk said:
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I played this for the first time today. My God it's awesome! I can't believe I missed it when it was first released. Having a problem deciding whether to get it for PC or PS3...

Will it work well with my 7950GT at 1440x900?

Hrmmmm...depends on the spec of your PC. Do you have any friends on PC or PS3 playing the game? Might be worth picking the format that lets you play co-op with friends.

Raide said:
Hrmmmm...depends on the spec of your PC. Do you have any friends on PC or PS3 playing the game? Might be worth picking the format that lets you play co-op with friends.

Didn't think about co-op!
I'll have to check my friends. Pity not many of them play RPG games.

Massa

So it looks like they re-released the GOTY edition with the content on disc (at least on PS3). Does it still say on the box that the content is in a voucher, even though it's on the disc?

If you own either of these GOTY versions on PS3 (US version) could you pretty please post the sku number that is on the spine of the disc (similar to BLUS-30386)?

Thanks!

Massa said:
So it looks like they re-released the GOTY edition with the content on disc (at least on PS3). Does it still say on the box that the content is in a voucher, even though it's on the disc?

If you own either of these GOTY versions on PS3 (US version) could you pretty please post the sku number that is on the spine of the disc (similar to BLUS-30386)?

Thanks!

Came here to ask the same question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom